Octagon

Month of Maia

Octagon

 

Octagon - a plane figure with eight straight sides and eight angles            

Word count – 1784

_______________________________________________________________________

 

The sound of a closing door and then, some rush footsteps occur throughout the halls. Mutters could be heard as well as some whispering. He was pacing back and forth, thinking of a way how to escape. The door was shut down again, he heard. With unsure steps he took, he finally arrived at the exit way. It was his last chance. He hoped he could get out without getting caught. It would be a big problem for him, especially since tomorrow’s a big for him, for everyone. He made some effort to glide down the halls soundlessly.

He pressed his birthmark to the door’s laser beam light, it immediately opened. With swift moves, he escaped from the council hall. There were two guards and he hid behind a vehicle. The sound of a door swiftly closing was heard again and he let out a breath he didn’t knew he was holding. Everything happened so quickly but it was all planned. The council, their town, their world, everything was controlled. And he was not going to be part of it. He’d heard everything he needed to hear and saw what he shouldn’t have.

Minho sighs as he arrived at the walking lane through a secret path behind the bamboo trees. He heard the automatic voice of the lady of the clock, saying it was past nine o’clock and it was time for bed. Tomorrow’s a big day. He’d have to move tonight.

 

____________________________________________________________

 

It was month 5 in year 2120. It was the day Minho graduated high school. It means he has finished the first stage of *Octism. The second stage contains testing them and showing them the world before the big change, little by little, or so he heard. After that period, they’d have to choose their jobs. The world now works as a bee hive.

Minho came back with a certificate in his hands, proud to have graduated with first in class, ready to hear what his parents would say. A hand on his shoulder prevents him from such thoughts as he looked back to the one who halted him. It was a woman in her late thirties, wearing the official tier of the council members which was white.

“White would suit you, dear. Aren’t you interested, Minho?”

It was unusual as she knew his name but it was the council, what can he say?

“Can I know why you took interest in me, too, ma’am?”

The woman chuckled as she nodded.

“Many reasons.” She said.

_________________________________________________________

He should’ve known. The council and their techniques, they’re all wrong. Minho wished he’d known sooner but then again, one night was enough. He ignored the sounds of the machines, reminding him that it was past the bed time as he crossed the small bridge on the way to his house.

He knocked three times and the door opened faster than he thought. Minho was pulled into the house in no time.

“What did you see?” The person demanded, quietly.

“Things. Many things. I don’t know how to explain.”

“Are they bad? I mean like we predicted?”

“Yes, but it’s not the worst case scenario, I think…?”

Minho was taken back as he was pushed backwards a little; the other was abruptly kissing him. Minho smiled a little as he kissed back; their lips moved in sync out of practice although they were in the dark.

“Taemin, please calm down.” Minho reassured his forbidden lover as soon as their lips parted. “I won’t let them do anything they want. I think I know a way, too.”

“I know, I know. I’m just scared for you. Minho, what did you see for real?”

“Well, there were plans. They’ve been doing this since the ‘big change’. They’ve been searching clues; searching the right person.” Minho paused and Taemin knew immediately.

“You- you’re the one, aren’t you?” Taemin asked carefully, not wanting to scare the other. And when Minho nodded while looking at him in the eyes, he continued. “The one in our text books; the one that’s gonna cure everything; the octagon…”

“Yeah, and I’ve been afraid of that.”

"They really pick out one; the brightest, the fastest, the charismatic, the-”

“Yes, I know, I know. I should’ve known sooner, I-” Minho paused to look at Taemin and stared for a while. “I won’t be the cure, Tae. They don’t understand. It’s not gonna change anything.” The younger hugged Minho lightly as a reassurance.

“I know, Ming… But you said you knew a way out of this. What is it?”

“I’m going to have to make a move tonight.” Taemin nodded at this. “And beyond the borders.”

“Wait, what? Minho, you can’t… I-” Without thinking twice, Taemin attacked Minho’s lips for a second time for the night. The second one was a little steamy, you could say. Minho pulled back as their kiss was getting intense; the situation was as well.

“Whoa, Tae.” They were both breathless for a while. The elder chuckled as he knew the other was getting embarrassed. But then, he knew he was wrong when he saw the younger, looking at him with sad confused eyes.

“What is it, Tae?”

“Beyond those borders, you’d never know what’s out there. What if- what if I won’t see you again?” Taemin asked with doe eyes, concerned about his lover and a little out of fear. Minho smiled, seeing his Taemin worrying for him.

“Tae, look at me. I’m going to find out the solution for my future and you’re going to be a part of it.” Taemin nodded, still confused. “Thing is, I’m gonna make my move tonight and you’re coming with me.”

_____________________________________________________________

Half way through to the place their ride which was Minho’s motorbike- the fast bike invented ever- Taemin remembered something. He halted his steps, making the elder bump him a little.

“What’s wrong, Tae?”

“Yoo geun. What do we do?”

Actually, Minho hadn’t thought of his little brother. He had only seen him for two weeks, then, the hospital insisted that the child would be safer in their care. His parents agreed right away. What can he say? They were clueless after all, not knowing anything about ‘life’ before for centuries.

“They’ll know, Tae. The hospital’s not a secure place for us.”

“They’d know anyway.”

_________________________________________________________________

They arrived at the children’s ward of the town’s hospital, still unnoticed by the council. Both of them took several turns through the halls. After they had passed many white doors, they finally found the abnormal children’s section. It was separated with a thick half-seen-through glass from their place. Minho, again, pressed the scanning area with his birthmark which is actually a chip inserted since birth into their skin; used for everything in their world. The glass doors opened swiftly before they could even think. Taemin was quick enough to search through the list on the table and Minho, searching in the rows of endless capsules.

“Minho, it’s in Z11. Yoo geun’s in there.”

They both quickly reached to the infant capsule in which Yoo geun was in. Minho clicked the button as well as pressed his birthmark to the scanner. There were some weird sounds and they took a pause at everything. There came a green light on the device attached to the capsule and the capsule was released into Minho’s hands. They both sighed in relief and glanced at each other. Minho gave Taemin a nod as support. But before they could even realize what was happening, red lights appear throughout the halls, as well as the sirens.

Cries of the infants were heard as well as Yoo geun’s. They both managed to get out of the room before the doors were sealed. They were almost half way through to the exit; Taemin took a turn into one of the rooms, unattached a capsule found.

“What are you doing?” Minho demanded.

“I’ll create a diversion, go!”

“No!!”

“Minho, we don’t have much time. There’s a door from the left side, go now!”

Like that, Minho was left with Yoo geun while watching Taemin ran off to the exit in a rush. The elder came back from stunned mind state to full protective mode as he made his decision. Taemin did this for everyone; at least he had to make it count. Minho decided as he gripped Yoo geun’s capsule tighter and paced through the left halls of the hospital.

He attached the capsule to the intended part of his bike as soon as he arrived at the place. He scooted off with his bike in a slower speed than he usually went, remembering Taemin. Speaking of the younger, the inspectors should’ve realized by now. He knew he was right as he heard sounds of vehicles coming after him. He passes the road using a shortcut through the grasses; taking a sharp turn, he was now on the backside of the hospital fence. He slowed down a bit to check the surrounding. But then, a crash was heard and a grip on his waist.

“Move, will you?” He regains his speed fast and dived in to full speed.

“Taemin...” Minho had to make sure.

“You didn’t think I’m gonna let you ran off with a kid, did you?”

Minho smiled as he sped up even more. They heard more sirens but they couldn’t care less as they were nearing the borders. A light was shown n front of them. It was a helicopter whose speakers saying things to stop them. And Minho weren’t gonna listen to any of those .

“Hold me tight.” He reminded the younger and Taemin wasn’t one to complain.

They were almost moving with the speed of light. A second and they’re free. And they were. The vehicles from their behind stopped as soon as they’ve reach the borders. But for Taemin and Minho, there was no stopping anymore. They were free, they couldn’t even believe it.

Minho slowed down his bike a little and then, came to a stop. They both sighed in relief.

“That’s it?” The younger asked; things were still unbelievable for him. They’ve left the octagon.

“That’s it. We’re free, Tae, we can do anything we want now.” Minho said; caressing the younger’s cheeks. Taemin nodded while leaning to kiss the elder which Minho accepted gladly. They laughed a little as they heard Yoo geun cried as soon as they were getting good. Minho took his little brother out of the capsule and brought between the couple. They both smiled and glanced up back to city where they grew and lied at. It was full of light. They looked forward and there was nothing but dust, faint stars and the natural dim moonlight. But they have a bright future ahead.

________________________________________________________________

Namri’s corner: Well, it was longer than I expected. Actually, I’m not supposed to be updating this. My eyes are burning. My noses running and I’m ill. *On a side note, “Octism” isn’t even a word. I made it up. ;)

Btw, SHINee’s back!! *activate fan girl mode to 100%* Ignore this. -_- Bye~