Unchanging Seasons

Paper Boats

 

We really never had the chance to go farther, since I was in the verge of bawling when we were able to walk away from the crowd. It began to rain again, too, so Jinki brought us to Castlecourt to grab a bite. The burger tasted like rubber and I had a difficult time swallowing. All I could do at that time was to stare at the picture I got.

“Shin Hye…” Jinki began. “Are you…okay?”

I looked up at him, and grinned. “Yeah, I’m good.”

“It’s girl psychology,” Donghyun joked. “If they say they’re all right, it means that they’re not.”

“Really?” Jinki asked, eyes wide with awe.

“Really,” he replied while nodding.

I smirked and shook my head as I took a sip from my cup of soda.

“If you don’t hold fast now, Shin Hye, then you’ll end up crying every time you bump into Yonghwa,” Donghyun said in a more serious tone. “You don’t want that, do you?”

“It’s not like I’ll see them again,” I replied. “Not until their concert, anyway.”

“You never know,” he returned, as he took a generous bite from his burger. “Belfast is a small city, after all.”

<:>

I was already in my room, all washed up and ready to sleep, when my phone rang. I quickly let go of the photograph and seeing that it was Donghyun, I answered it.

“What is it now?” I asked.

He scoffed. “Don’t you feel lonely over there?”

“No,” I answered. “It’s quite cozy and warm.”

There was this profound silence between us, and I heard him let out a sigh. “Just now…you were looking at the photograph, weren’t you?”

I laughed a little. “No way!” I lied. “What makes you say that?”

“Oh, don’t you dare lie to me, Park Shin Hye,” he knowingly accused in a singsong manner.

I rolled my eyes, and let myself fall on the soft bed. “Fine, you caught me.”

I waited for him to reply, but he didn’t.

“Hey!” I cried. “What’s up with the awkward lapses? Why’d you call, anyway?”

“What? Oh, Jinki’s studying so I’m left to do nothing.”

“You can do our essay homework,” I suggested.

“No thanks,” he said.

I coughed out a smirk. “You can be so lazy sometimes, Kim Donghyun.”

“Shin Hye-yah,” he began. I heard a door creak in the background, followed by soft footsteps.

“What?” I replied.

“You know what’s weird?”

I narrowed my eyes. “What?”

“It’s when you tried your best to pull someone towards you but in a blink of an eye, you find that person gone from your grasp with a single, effortless yank from someone else.”

I grew quiet, and he did, too. Suddenly, he laughed. “I’m sorry, Shin Hye. I didn’t make any sense, did I?”

“You must be tired,” I said, as I sat up from my bed. “You should rest, Donghyun-ah.”

“I guess I should,” he replied. “Good night.”

“Good night.”

With that, I hung up.

<:>

The next day, I saw a note on my front door:

Shin Hye,

                I’m currently with Jinki at the moment. Turns out he needs a helping hand at school. Says he needs a model and I’m the “it” guy. Cool, huh? Anyway, I slipped some things under your door. It’s a map showing some ideal places at City Center. See the red ink over there? It’s how you get to Queen’s, since that’s where we’ll be staying all day anyway. I didn’t bother waking you up. I’m sure you slept late again. You feel uncomfortable when you sleep on a new bed, don’t you? You still have money, right? If you don’t, I slipped in some cash in there, too. Just return it to me if you didn’t use it, hm? Get out of the house and enjoy the frozen sunlight!

Your Gentle Prince,
Donghyun

P.S.
We didn’t have time to cook breakfast so I guess you just have to go to Subway or something. Sorry.
And another thing, Shin Hye, don’t you dare use your GPS. Try finding us via that hand drawn map. Challenge yourself and imagine that it’s another game of treasure hunting. Heh.

I smiled, then folded the paper carefully. I checked the time on my phone and seeing that it was still early, I decided to prepare and heed Donghyun’s advice. Before heading to Queen’s, I resolved to explore Belfast a little more.

As I grew up, I ended up wearing more dresses and skirts than jeans. I guess I still kept the consequence of breaking my promise to Yonghwa despite the fact that the punishment should only last for a month. I pulled out a plain, black shirt and a royal blue full skirt that hung a few inches just below my knees. I tucked the shirt in loosely and I slipped in a pair of black pumps. Grabbing my white sling bag and my black coat, I was good to go.

The autumn air filled my lungs and it rejuvenated me, to be honest. I smiled to myself and after locking the door shut, I made my way to the bus stop. The ride was pretty quick, considering that the rush hour for the morning was over. Everything the sun touched became golden, and I could actually feel its warmth as the sunrays went through the bus’s window pane. I had to squint a little, though. I checked the map the two drew for me, and I noticed that almost every important spot wasn’t that far apart. Victoria Square was near The Big Fish, together with the Beacon of Hope, which was a metal sculpture.

The bus’s last stop was somewhere near the City Hall, as well. I was finally out of the pink and white vehicle several minutes later. There was no cloud in sight and as I passed by the streets and alleyways, I saw a person or two busking. Their voices filled the busy alleyways which reminded me of Donghyun’s veins in his hands and it made the place more vibrant. The smell of coffee and the chatter of people wafted around the area, casting a laidback and magical atmosphere. For me, autumn makes everything wonderful and majestic. Maybe it was because of the crimson leaves or the golden sunlight—maybe not. I found myself lost and I didn’t feel afraid. I stayed a little longer than I should have in one of the alleyways, and found myself unraveling my childhood which was made colorful by a certain Jung Yonghwa.

<:>

“Yonghwa-yah, what’re you doing?” I asked, when I found him sitting on their porch’s floor, with a pencil on his hand. He was writing something on a bond paper.

“I’m making a bucket list,” he answered, without even looking at me.

I cocked my head to a side and I quickly sat down in front of him. “Bucket list?” I repeated. “How does that go?”

“You just list the things you want to do before you die,” he replied. Yonghwa finally looked at me, and grinned as he handed me a spare piece of pencil and paper. “Want to try it out, as well?”

I grinned, and nodded. And so, on that smoldering summer afternoon, we wrote the things we’ve always wanted to do, no matter how weird, random or impossible it was.

<:>

I was able to find Victoria Square. I walked around for a little bit and smelled the familiar scent of Hollister. This made me chuckle since I remembered Donghyun’s remark from back then.

Oh, hello, welcome to Hollister! Before you enter, here’s a gasmask and a flashlight. Enjoy your stay!

I went to the very top, where the glass dome was located. I leaned on the rail and I admired the view. There was something about being so high and far away from the ground. There was this certain thrill to it and I loved it. A local asked if I wanted to have my picture taken, and out of politeness, I agreed. I thanked him before heading downstairs again. I managed to emerge from the building and I found a pavement fountain across the road, if I walk a little more to the left. The fountain was still working, and it made me smile, for some reason. I walked past it and saw kids run through it with a gleeful smile on their faces. Their parents were there, as well, keeping a close eye on them. Next the pavement fountain was a vacant lot where skaters did tricks. Some of them waved at me, and I bowed in return. I decided to cross the road ahead of me, where The Big Fish was located and I took a picture of it. Another local asked if I wanted to have a picture of myself taken together with the fish, and I agreed. I thanked him and proceeded to walk eastward, where the Beacon of Hope was located. A river was nearby, together with an open space ideal for skating and whatnot. I checked the map, and I saw that it was called ‘Thanksgiving Square’. I decided to give the river a better look and so I walked across the lot.

I saw people enter and exit the sushi shop located in the square’s main building and several people about my age walked about with their friends or partners. Feeling tired, I sat down on a bench and stared straight ahead. Donghyun said that if I did this, then I would be able to relax my eyes. I didn’t know how long I stared into space, but I stood up from my seat when felt a person sit next to me.

I’m sorry!” I apologized in English. “You can take the seat if you” I trailed off when I saw someone unexpected. He sat there quietly, with a crooked, mischievous grin on his face. He was wearing a blue coat over a plain white shirt. His jeans matched his outfit well—together with his faded Chucks. I noticed that there was a guitar case beside him, as well. His sparkling eyes caught the autumn light and this made him even brighter than he already was.

“Please, sit,” Yonghwa said, as he patted the already vacant spot beside him. “You’re Hannah, right?”

“R-Right…” I replied in an unsteady tone. “You…remembered?”

“Of course,” he returned, nonchalant. “I don’t forget easily, just so you know.”

I doubt it.

I took the space beside him, not really knowing what to say. I could only sit stiffly and glance up at the still sky or at the river ahead of us.

“My members are too tired and I want to look around the city,” Yonghwa began. “I had to cover half of my face with this, though,” he pointed at his black scarf draped around his neck.

I smiled a little at his explanation. “So why did you decide to approach me?”

With this, he looked taken aback, and a small smile graced his lips. “I thought it’d be great to talk to you again,” he answered in a careful way. “I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, Hannah, but I feel comfortable around you, as if we’ve been friends for so many years.”

You have no idea.

“I understand,” I replied. “I’m like that sometimes, too.”

“So, then, are you having a look around, too? Where are your friends from yesterday?”

“They’re in Queen’s University,” I answered. The more I spoke to him, the more I felt at ease. One of Yonghwa's abilities was to brighten up a tense atmosphere, after all. “I decided to check things out before I head there.”

“Then why don’t we go together?” he suggested.

My eyes widened. “A-Are you serious?”

“Yeah,” he said. “That way things will be an adventure. I’ve so many things I want to do, as well.”

“Such as?”

Yonghwa grinned. “Did you see the pavement fountain nearby? I want to run through that. I want to busk, as well.”

With that, I laughed. I laughed, and I laughed and I didn’t care if Yonghwa was staring at me as if I was an alien or something. “Did I say something funny?” he asked, confusion etched on his face.

I shook my head no. “It’s just that I want to do those things, too.”

His eyes sparkled. “Did you know that I used to keep a bucket list with me? I lost it, though. But I do remember some important bits.”

Yes, I do, Yonghwa. I also know that those two things you just mentioned are included in that list of yours. You never really changed. Not one bit. Even if you forgot me, your warmth and sincerity…they’re still the same.

“No,” I lied.

“Those are just two of the things I want to do,” he pointed out.

“Did you make your bucket list with a friend?” I offhandedly asked.

Yonghwa grew quiet and he looked up at the sky as he dwelled on the question. After a short while, he turned his gaze towards me. “I reckon doing it with someone,” he said. “But that person’s face is a blur to me. I’m not even sure, to be honest.”

I choked back my tears and I covered it up neatly with a huge grin. “This is a privilege, Yonghwa-ssi,” I said in a polite tone. “I hope I don’t make things too difficult for you.”

He smirked. “What’re you talking about, Hannah? Let’s go.”

He kept his hands in his coat’s pockets and he signaled me to follow him. We kept a safe distance from each other, and I realized, at that moment, that even if Yonghwa didn’t change, even if I didn’t change, our situation did, and it would force us to adapt.

Change is a scary thing, I thought.

<:>

Yonghwa’s Bucket List

1)      Grow up and travel the world with the use of my guitar

2)      Be a strong man

3)      Go to London

4)      Run across a proper pavement fountain with someone I’m comfortable with Shin Hye

5)      Have a public presentation in a foreign street

6)      Be in a band

7)      It’s okay if I don’t have a lot of money. I just want to be content

8)      Make millions and millions of people smile with my voice

9)      Compose tons of songs

10)   Donate blood

11)   Read at least three of the thousands of books Shin Hye wanted me to read

12)   Be in the honor roll

13)   Make my parents laugh always

14)   Grow old with Shin Hye

15)   Add more things to this list

16)   Complete this bucket list

<:>

Shin Hye’s Bucket List

1)      Be the best cook in the world

2)      Build sandcastles with Yonghwa

3)      Get better at singing

4)      Catch autumn leaves and cherry blossom petals with Yonghwa

5)      Own a puppy

6)      Get married like a princess

7)      Prove to Jung Yonghwa that getting married like a princess is not a stupid entry for a bucket list

8)      Dump more books to Yonghwa (ha ha ha!)

9)      Be a part of a charity workshop

10)   Make babies smile

11)   Make my mom proud of me

12)   Smile always

13)   Ride a rocket

14)   Write more letters to my dad

15)   Grow old with Yonghwa, too!

16)   Add more things to this list

17)   Complete this bucket list


 

"I thank my God every time I remember you."
- Phillipians 1:3


 

ahnminah13 dongsaeng no cry, no cry ;A;

vicheko here's an update ^^;;

JustBee you lost me with your fluid comment again :) thanks for the encouragement ^^ (you might not know this but you seriously encouraged me)

forestwhisperz lol so we meet again xD to be honest I could somehow feel for Shin Hye. You see, I had a buddy back in college but I had to leave, as well. Compared to Shin Hye's sad story, mine was quite funny. We were friends in FB and all that jazz and then I got a notification that it was his birthday so I greeted him and he replied and I casually talked to him and the convo soon ended. Three days later, he asked me just who the heck I was (I wasn't using my real name in FB, you see. lol. I used my nickname which was 'Silver'.) I was so ticked off at that time. I was like 'you talked to me for a while and you never even knew who I was? Really, dude, really?' but soon he apologised, telling me that he genuinely forgot about me. lol.

laz_15 thank you ;A; your comment encouraged me! And here's an update ^^

miss-hitomi trust me on this one, Yonghwa will. But in what way? ;)

EmotionalStar lol "Seoul Underground" doesn't stick out as much as this fic but I will get back to it soon ^^ It's just that my inspiration's pointing out to this fic (considering that it is autumn here. Hee~)

Nandiferd oh please do ^^ English isn't my first language, you see. I'd really appreciate it to have some assistance from you ^^

deanne Ch-Chincha? ;A;

jobarza57 are you really? You've encouraged me! ;A;

nnaeam your comment...made my heart ache in a good way :) I'm so blessed to have a subber like you!