Blossoming Spring

Paper Boats

 

“Shin Hye!” a voice boomed behind me, which caused me to jump up and grab the bowl of popcorn on my lap in order to prevent it from slipping. “What’re you spacing out for?”

“Donghyun-ah, stop creeping up on me!” I yelped, as I popped more microwave-heated corn into my mouth.

He smirked at my snarky remark. “Well, you shouldn’t be so absent-minded as well, Shin Hye-yah.”

I let out an irritated tsk, and Donghyun sat down beside me, at the same time grabbing a handful of popcorn. “You’re watching a Korean show again?”

“Well, Donghyun, sorry to break it into you but we are Koreans,” I said.

“Yeah, who pretty much lived in England for what? More than half a decade?” he returned. “The local Koreans are banishing us now, if you know what I mean.”

“We can still speak our language fluently, so there’s no harm in that,” I shot back.

“Yeah, but many people in there still frown upon Korean kids growing up in a Western culture,” he returned with a smug smile.

I didn’t reply anymore, and Donghyun leaned over. “What’s that, anyway?”

“It’s a music show,” I said. “A new band debuted.”

“CN Blue?” he asked, as he read the band’s name positioned at the bottom of the screen.

“Yeah,” I said.

He glanced at me, and cocked his head to a side. “Are they that good that you end up with tears in your eyes?”

I blinked a few times, and realizing what he was trying to say, I wiped my tears away. “T-There must’ve been something in my eyes,” I said. “It happens frequently.”

“You,” he began. “Are such a bad liar.”

I sniffed, and grinned. “You think so?”

“You’re not telling me something,” he pressed on. “Come on, Shin Hye, what’s bothering you?”

I looked around our house. So far, my parents were away, and only Donghyun was around. The both of us decided to take a gap year together so pretty much, while the other students were burning the midnight oil with projects and paperwork, the two of us had it easy, going to night schools and whatnot.

“The vocalist,” I choked out, as I stared at the screen which showed a close-up shot of my best friend once upon a time. “He’s Yonghwa, my best friend from back then.”

Donghyun’s eyes widened. “Are you serious?” he asked in English.

Yeah, I’m serious,” I replied in the same language.

Donghyun, who was still awed, nodded, digesting the information I threw at him. “But then, when was the last time you talked?”

“The last time? That was the day I collapsed, you remember that?” I asked back in reply.

“Yeah,” he answered. “That’s a pretty long time.”

“I know,” I muttered.

He poked my cheek, and I shot him a leer. He stuck his tongue out cutely, and smiled a little. “Does it hurt here?” he tapped at his chest.

I looked down, and I smiled a little. “Not that much,” I admitted. “Just a little, but I think I’ll get through.”

“You think?” he echoed.

“I will get through,” I corrected.

Donghyun raised his eyebrows. “Because I’m here, right?”

I scoffed at his confidence. “Yeah, whatever. I’ll let you win this time.”

We were silent for a while, and we stared at the television screen. It was strange how my best friend from back then became this charismatic stranger filling the studio he was in with that warm and heartfelt voice of his. I found it difficult to comprehend that I wasn’t there when he was recruited, that I wasn’t there when he wanted someone to talk to when he felt frustrated or sad, that I just wasn’t there, beside him. I began to wonder, then, who the heck took my place as his best friend.

Did his memories come back?

Did he miss me like I missed him?

“You want to call their place?” Donghyun asked, as he reached for the wireless telephone near him.

I forced out a tiny laugh. “I think it’s a little late for that.”

“Better late than never, right?” he pushed, as he shoved the phone in my hand.

I pulled my lips up to a corner, and before I knew it, I was dialing their phone number.

“You still remember it?” Donghyun remarked. “Cool.”

I didn’t reply. With anxious, short breaths, I placed the phone against my ear. I waited for a short while, and my eyes widened when it rang. Just then, someone picked it up.

“Kim residence, how may I help you?”

I looked at Donghyun with a confused stare. The woman’s voice wasn’t familiar.

“K-Kim residence?” I repeated. “I’m sorry, but I thought it’s the Jung family who lives there?”

There was a short pause, and suddenly, the woman said a profound ‘Ah!’

“The family before us moved out several months ago,” she said. “They must be the one you’re looking for. They have a son, yeah?”

“Yeah,” I murmured. “I’m sorry for disturbing you…”

“No, it’s all right,” she replied. “I’d like to help you, but I have no communication with them whatsoever.”

I smiled. “It’s okay. Thank you once again! Goodbye.”

“Hm, goodbye!”

I dropped the call, and Donghyun looked at me with sheer anticipation. “What happened?”

“They moved out,” I said, not being able to comprehend with the things I was saying myself.

“Your Mom’s probably still communicating with his Mom,” Donghyun began on a more positive note.

I shrugged, unable to say anything anymore. “Let’s leave it as it is, Donghyun.”

His face slightly fell, and he let out a sigh. “I was driving down and I saw how beautiful it is outside,” he said, as he gave me a swift, meaningful stare. “It’s a beautiful spring day, Shin Hye. Should we head out for a spin?”

I looked at the television, and with a tiny smile, turned it off. “Let’s go, then,” I said, standing up.

<:>

The wind felt good against my face. The roof on Donghyun’s red convertible was down, and stray cherry petals managed to land in his car. I could barely hear the sound of the radio but it was okay. The wind rushing past my ears was music to me. I glanced at Donghyun, and he was tapping his fingers against his steering wheel in a rhythmical manner.

“There’s a river near here,” I heard him say.

I looked at him. “What about the river?” I asked.

He grinned. “Let’s float paper boats over there. I brought the materials we need.”

I stared at him, confused, and he chuckled as he opened a compartment, exposing a tray full of colored papers and several pens. I smiled at him.

“Just paper boats?” I asked.

“I’ve a red pail in the boot if you want to collect pebbles,” he bribed.

I laughed at that one, and nodded. “Sounds good. Got any food?”

Donghyun glanced at me, and I sat down.

“Shin Hye, we’ve been friends for years now,” he said. “Do you seriously think I’ll let a good friend of mine starve? Especially you, who seem to have a bottomless pit for a stomach?”

<:>

We stopped in front of a river bend, where a cherry tree was present, providing shade and an unlimited amount of pink confetti. Donghyun let out a satisfied sigh, followed by a stretch.

“It looks great, right?” he asked.

I looked around, and listened to the sounds of spring which reminded me of Yonghwa’s voice whenever he sang. The sky was the perfect shade of blue, with no puffs of white blemishing it—only a stray, flying petal of pink here and there, but that was it. The river made this gushing sound, and the wind went along with it in perfect harmony. The noise coming from the city couldn’t be heard. All in all, if I closed my eyes, then I could convince myself, without trying hard, that I was sitting by the river near our house back in Korea.

“Let’s go,” Donghyun said, dragging me back to reality. He stepped out of his car and opened the door for me with a huge grin. “I want to know how it feels like to float origami on a river.”

I laughed at his remark, and alighted the vehicle. Donghyun gave me a wink, and he headed for the boot to take out a small, red pail, a picnic mat and a huge bag of food. I helped out by taking the pail for him, since that was the only one he would give me, anyway.

“Frolic like a lost kid, go,” he said, as he nodded at the river.

I grinned and kicking my sandals away, I rushed for the river. The grass beneath my feet tickled me, and I didn’t know if it was the grass or my heart but I ended up laughing like there was no tomorrow anyway. The sun warmed my back, making me feel cozy and the sunrays were golden against my raised arm. Donghyun arranged the mat under the tree and he took out his compact video camera from the bag.

“Hey!” I cried, as I pointed at him. “Don’t!”

Donghyun smirked my warning away, and waved at me. “Smile for the camera, Shin Hye-yah.”

I stuck my tongue out, and helplessly grinning, I showed the camera the red pail I was holding. “Today,” I said. “The nineteen-year-old Park Shin Hye will become eight years old again. All thanks to Kim Donghyun!”

He smirked, and he started to follow me as I walked towards the river’s edge. I sat down to examine the crystal water and I plunged my hand into the river. I found a flat, heart-shaped pebble in an instant. I held it up, and  smiled.

“It’s a heart,” I said.

“It is indeed,” Donghyun agreed.

I looked at it closely. “How can a heart of stone look so pure and beautiful?”

“And there you have it, my friends,” Donghyun boomed. “The emotional Park Shin Hye!”

“Hey!” I burst out, standing up.

He laughed, and gestured me to carry on collecting pebbles. I became quiet now and Donghyun got tired standing up so he squatted beside me.

“The sun makes your hair shimmer,” Donghyun remarked. “Like the colors of autumn.”

I looked at him, and grinned. “You think so?”

“And your eyes look golden, too,” he added. “You’re like someone Midas held.”

He positioned the video camera behind us to get a good angle and he proceeded to take the tray of colored paper and pens. He plopped it beside me, and then he began to fold.

“Let’s see if this manages to reach Korea,” he said.

I shot him a look, and noticing my silence, he glanced at me. “What?” he smirked. “Did I say something offensive?”

“How did you know that?” I asked. “I never told you that side of Yonghwa.”

“What do you mean?” he asked back in reply, pure confusion etched on his face.

“About the boat thing, if it’ll reach the other side of the world or not,” I said.

He looked at me then, like I was some kind of freak, and realizing what I was doing, I took a deep breath and looked away.

“I’m sorry, Donghyun-ah,” I muttered. “I think I was the one who offended you.”

“No harm done,” he replied, as he carried on folding the paper he was holding. “If you could see Yonghwa in me then doesn’t that mean I can replace him one day?”

“Fat chance,” I scoffed.

He flashed me a light grin. “That’s more like it.”

Sighing, I took a piece of paper, as well, to fold paper boats. We went on and on until half of the stack was gone. There was one time when we actually tried to track down the boat we floated but it was rendered futile since a thorny hedge blocked our way. We even attempted to go into the river but Donghyun said that it was too cold and steep, so we didn’t get on with it.

Finally getting tired, we retreated back under the cherry tree, with the video camera still running.

“Now,” Donghyun said. “Let’s write our feelings down.”

“What?”

“Let’s write our feelings down,” he repeated, as he took out two pens. “We’ve been friends for more than five years now. I want to know how you genuinely feel towards me.”

“You have weird tastes,” I remarked.

“Says the girl who collects pebbles,” he returned.

Defeated, I cleared my throat and Donghyun laughed a little at his own victory. In silence, we began to write what we felt for each other. Right after that, we ate. We rested for a while more before exchanging letters.

“After reading everything, we’ll float it, got it?” he asked.

I nodded, hesitant.

“Why? Don’t you want to?” he asked again.

“Well…”

“You are so sentimental,” he said.

“Can’t I keep it?”

“I doubt you’ll want to keep it,” he replied with a smile on his face. “Let’s just let the river wash the ink away, huh?”

I nodded, and with that, we exchanged for good. I read it, and after arriving at the last word, I glanced at Donghyun.

He was quiet for a minute, and he asked, "Do you still want to keep it?"

I shook my head no. He smiled.

“Then let’s float it.”

<:>

Donghyun-ah,

                I still remember the day we met. It was awkward, wasn’t it? And I was this sick little duckling back then, who did nothing but to sulk all day long. But I want to thank you for being patient, Donghyun. I mean, who can stand a girl groaning about her long lost best friend for two straight years? Only you can do it, Donghyun, and I’m glad that you became my friend here. We’ve been through so many things. You remember that one time when it was the upper sixth’s final day at school and they got the tradition going? You know, going to school in pajamas and pulling off pranks on almost every junior they see? You remember how I was supposed to be soaked in water but you took the fall instead? For that day, you became my hero!

                You truly are a good friend, and I want to thank you for standing by me and for wiping my tears away. Thank you for the late-night English tutorials and for going to my place at the speed of light whenever I needed you. You reckon that one time when I accidentally cut myself during biology? You scolded me more than I got scolded by my Mom! It was funny, though, how I see you like a brother, a friend and a father—a teacher, as well.

                I just hope we carry on being friends throughout the years. Donghyun-ah, my gentle prince, I love you!

Shin Hye

<:>

Park Shin Hye-ssi,

                First off, I’ll break this in to you. I’m not a gentle prince. Before you landed here in London, I was known at school for being coldhearted. You always complimented me about my warm hands, right? To tell you, my heart was just as cold. However, as the years went by, my hands became noticeably colder—and damper. I was getting nervous whenever you came near me and at that moment, I realized that my heart was beginning to warm up towards you. You remember that time back when we were in Year Twelve? The time when I didn’t see you for an entire week? I felt different around you back then, and I wanted that fuzzy feeling to die down. It did, fortunately, but only a little.

                Do you seriously think that I would spend my time studying courses I’ve already studied and staying up late just to tutor you for no reason at all? You’re well aware just how much of a neatfreak I am, right? You do know that I’m allergic to prawns, right? Do you remember how those upper sixth students attempted to soak you with water but I shielded you because I knew that you just recovered from a cold? Do you remember how I ate those prawns for you back then because if your parents didn’t see your plate clean you won’t be able to play with me? You think those were chivalric actions made by your good, Korean-Londoner friend? Ha! Think again.

               This might sound despicable of me, but doing those heroic things were lame excuses. I had a puppy crush on you, and I let it be, since I was sure that it would die down. You were a new girl in a new city—you were a new face. Of course I’d get fascinated by you. But sadly, the puppy crush didn’t die down. Until now, I still have butterflies in my tummy whenever I’m with you. Childish, I know, but that’s how I sincerely feel.

                Whenever you talk about your Yonghwa, about your Busan boy, I kept on thinking back then if you called me your Donghyun or even your London lad if you talked to other people. I don’t know but you adding that sense of ownership towards me never bothered me one bit. I guess I’ve always wanted to feel how your Yonghwa felt—I guess I wanted to know how it would feel like to be Park Shin Hye’s Donghyun.

                When you finally called me a gentle prince—not just a gentle prince, but your gentle prince—I was a little annoyed but I didn’t mind all in all because at least I had that identity in your life.

                Shin Hye, I didn’t teach myself on how to play the guitar; I am not a natural singer; I am not from Busan. However, I do know how to play the piano and I’m having vocal lessons for several months now. I grew up here in London, too. My standards are far from his, but I do hope that you take the time to look at me like the way you look at him. I dislike it when you stare at me with your autumn eyes and I end up sensing that you’re yearning for Yonghwa’s company, and not mine. No, I’m not psychic. Guys can sense that, too. We are not as shallow as you girls think.

Float this on the river!
Donghyun


"Better is open rebuke than hidden love."
- Proverbs 27:5


AGAIN, your comments are so heartwarming ;A;
I thank God for your encouragements! And I do hope that you do this to other authors, too ^^

deanne thank you for that warm encouragement ^^ and yes, I mean, the dooley couple is one of my OTPs and I figured that there aren't that much fics with them, so as a supporter, I am doing what I can to make them more known ^^

jobarza57 Oh! I do appreciate you sharing how you feel in the former chapters ^^ I'm glad this humble fic of mine somewhat reached you.

laz_15 this is just a fic for dooley shippers by a dooley shipper ^^ Thank you for commenting, because this encourages me and motivates me to write lots ^^

Random Fact: 

  • Out of all the comments I have received, the stuff I receive here in this fic are by far the most artistic :D thanks for the encouragement ^^
  • The setting is in London but I'm using American-standard spelling. LOL. Sorry for that ^^ I don't know but I'm more comfortable in using that. I did use the American way of spelling for sixteen years, after all. Even if I'm already here in Northern Ireland, I just don't want to break this habit of mine. I started writing stories using American-standard spelling and by heck I will carry on using it xD