Two

My Last Serenade

Wearing the couple ring at the concert wasn’t a smart idea because it created an uproar in the fandom. People who really like Chanyeol and Kyungsoo together were happy, but with the main OTP feeling threatened, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol received a lot of backlash.

 

The dark night was quiet and motionless while Kyungsoo opens his laptop to look at the comments that were happening on their fanboard. Kyungsoo is sensitive and what others say about him can make him feel inferior. With some hesitation, Kyungsoo logs on to see the comments that were directed to him.

 

D.O I really dislike you. First you made my boyfriend leave me. Now you’re trying to ruin the Baekyeol ship. Stop acting innocent. You’re clearly not innocent. You are a conniving little fox. Please do me a HUGE favor and leave the group!

 

Kyungsoo would be lying if he says that the comment doesn’t hurt. He shouldn’t continue reading either but he scrolls down unconsciously. His heart races faster as he approaches more harsh comments.

 

Kyungsoo, I heard you are going to act in a movie AND a drama soon. Why did they pick you? You cannot even act. Did you sleep with the director? Kekekekkee.

 

Get away from Chanyeol! Baekhyun looks way better than you!
 

Chanyeol oppa is at fault too. Why did he give D.O the ring instead of Baekhyun oppa? >.< the ring doesn’t look good on D.O >.<

 

Suddenly the bed shifts and Kyungsoo turns to see Chanyeol sitting beside him. “What are you reading SooSoo?”

 

“Nothing” Kyungsoo closes the laptop and Chanyeol raises his eyebrow in suspicion.

 

“Is it the fanboard? It’s filled with many antis these days. You should try to avoid it.”

 

“Go to sleep Chanyeol”

 

Eyebrows furrows in confusion as Chanyeol turns Kyungsoo’s body to face him. “Were you about to cry? What are they saying about you?” It was rare to see Kyungsoo show any emotions and his watery eyes makes Chanyeol upset even more. Instead of asking, he takes Kyungsoo’s laptop and opens it ignoring Kyungsoo telling him not to.

 

Chanyeol was distraught by what he was reading- it was mentally painful to go through all this. Why are people so free? Do they not have anything else to do with their lives?

 

“Stop it Chanyeol” Kyungsoo tries to pull the laptop away.

 

“How dare that person say you sleep with the director to get the role? You worked so hard. I’m so irritated.”

 

“Irritated because that’s a homoual thing or because-”

 

“Because this person is making you look bad! Homoual thing? Why would that be your first thought?”

 

Before Kyungsoo could reply, Jongin groans as he shifts in his bed. Kyungsoo tried to make Chanyeol be quiet so Jongin won’t wake up. Jongin is a heavy sleeper anyways so it wasn’t surprising when he went back to sleep.

 

“Let’s go” Chanyeol takes Kyungsoo’s hand and Kyungsoo whines in protest. He makes them both wear dark hoodies with a facemask as he pulls Kyungsoo out of the dorm.

 

The cold hair hits Kyungsoo’s skin and he wanted to kill Chanyeol for pulling him out late at night like this. Kyungsoo starts shivering and it seems like Chanyeol noticed because he takes Kyungsoo’s hand and blows hot hair into it. “Why did you pull me out late at night you giant? If Junmyeon knows, he will murder us both.”

 

“Correction. Murder me. I don’t think he would murder you though because he’s super bias over you. But I wanted to have some fresh air. I miss hanging out with you like this. Remember back then during trainee days we always went out together? We technically got close so fast that we did everything together. Now you’re so distant from me.”

 

Because I can’t get over my attraction for you.

 

“I think you would rather me be distant to you.”

 

“What are you talking about Soo?”

 

Kyungsoo opens his mouth but then shakes his head, “it’s nothing.”

 

“You’re my best friend. What are you hiding from me?”

 

The streets were becoming more pack as they walk further. The buzzing and humming of noise fills the air and Kyungsoo turns to Chanyeol telling him they should go back. Sometimes Seoul had a lot of drunk people out late at night that has no idea what they are doing out.

 

The tension was strong between the two friends because neither side said anything. It makes Chanyeol a bit irritated- not because Kyungsoo was quiet because the boy is always quiet, but more in the lines of Kyungsoo not willing to tell him his troubles. He doesn’t like seeing the sad look upon his best friend face. A numbness descends upon him as he takes Kyungsoo’s hand and stops Kyungsoo from walking.

 

He could only see Kyungsoo’s doe eyes looking back at him and Chanyeol knows he’s always the one to break the ice. Kyungsoo could stay quiet for days but Chanyeol cannot last past five minutes. “Do you even think of me as your friend? You know social media always talks about our one sided relationship because you’re always so cold to me. I mean I never minded those things because it’s what fans think and what we do is different. But right now I’m beginning to think there is a one sided relationship between us.”

 

Kyungsoo tries to pulls his hand out of Chanyeol’s hold but the latter refuse to let go, “this is not a good time to be talking about this. We should head back.”

 

“Tell me Soo, am I not your friend? If I’m doing things to really annoy you then I apologize but you know I only joke around with you because you’re cute. But if that’s why you’re so distant from me then I’ll calm down from the teasing.”

 

Kyungsoo eyes stares at Chanyeol and it’s the first time he has seen Chanyeol so distressed. Like he really cared if Kyungsoo was upset at him. Like Kyungsoo was important. Kyungsoo wanted to scream to Chanyeol that the only one-sided relationship between them is him loving Chanyeol more than a friend, not the other way around. He avoids Chanyeol because he’s afraid he would fall even harder. Every time Chanyeol touches him, even as a friend way, it makes Kyungsoo want to leap into the air from happiness. Somewhere along the lines of hanging out together, getting to know each other, and laughter, Kyungsoo really did fall in love.

 

“Soo you know I love you. Please tell me what is wrong. I want to help you. We have been friends for so many years and I want to be there for you. When you’re happy I want to share that moment with you. When you’re sad I want to be by your side and listen to your problems. You’re my best friend Soo.”

 

“And that’s all I would ever be to you…” Kyungsoo trails off as he walks faster to get back into the dorm. He doesn’t want to break down in front of Chanyeol and Chanyeol watch the figure getting further and further away from him. His last words made Chanyeol dumbfounded. What did Kyungsoo mean by that?

 

-----

 

“Our little Kyungsoo is an actor!” Junmyeon wraps his arms around Kyungsoo when he sees Kyungsoo get back to the dorms. Kyungsoo has been fussing over the movie Cart and the drama It’s ok that’s love that he hasn’t had any time with the members. Their group has been facing a lot of problems after Kris and Luhan departure but they were still trying to build a happy family among the members that were still around. Kyungsoo would be lying if he said he didn’t miss Kris and Luhan. They were amazing people and sometimes they would call the rest to let them know they’re ok. They were just tired of the slave contract and it was pretty clear that everyone was beginning to look like zombies.

 

“Hyung you are so awesome! When you get famous please don’t forget your cute dongsaeng” Sehun grins.

 

“You’re already famous Sehun.”

 

“Oh yeah. I forgot.” Sehun isn’t the brightest star in the sky. He doesn’t ever make any sense when he talks but they love their maknae anyways.

 

Kyungsoo walks around seeing the members congratulate him but afterwards all of them ran to change clothes because they have to practice for their concert. Kyungsoo would be lying if he said he wasn’t tired. His energy was drained out from memorizing the script, moving back and forth between places, and then dancing till early morning.

 

It’s been a month since the last serious talk with Chanyeol. The next day both of them pretended nothing happened. Chanyeol just lowered his teasing and they got back to acting normal. When Kyungsoo slips during their dance practice, Chanyeol runs towards him in a cougar pace, “are you ok Soo?”

 

“I am. It’s nothing” Kyungsoo pushes Chanyeol away like usual and the taller boy pouts.

 

“We have to continue practicing love birds” Baekhyun cuts in with his annoying voice making Chanyeol get back in his position. Kyungsoo pushes himself up as he tries to hide the blush on his cheeks. He didn’t expect Chanyeol to care about him that much.

 

Maybe their attraction could be mutual?

 

-----

 

Kyungsoo couldn’t stop grinning while at the set of the drama for It’s Ok, That’s Love. He reminisce the conversation this morning and he wanted to jump around in excitement.

 

“Want me to pick you up after the drama filming?”

 

Kyungsoo turns around to see Chanyeol smiling at him. Slowly Kyungsoo nods in acceptance, “you can. But we have to head to Japan right after…?”

 

“I’ll pick you up and we can head to the airport. I don’t want you to take the plane by yourself. I know how afraid you are of sasaengs.”

 

“T…Thanks Chanyeol”

 

It was strange but Kyungsoo wanted to finish the shoot today so he can meet Chanyeol afterwards. Even Insung notices the change in Kyungsoo’s face and he teases the smaller, “you are doing so well today. Is there something up? What’s little Kyungsoo so happy about?”

 

“N…Nothing sunbae”

 

Insung ruffles Kyungsoo’s hair as they get back to shooting the drama.

 

Chanyeol really did meet up with Kyungsoo after the filming. He even booked a taxi so they can go together. It reminded Chanyeol of when they first took the subway together. Those were memories that he would never forget because he has found his best friend and soulmate.

 

He still remembers the words Kyungsoo told him the one night they were out together. How Kyungsoo said all he would ever be is a best friend. Chanyeol’s not sure of the actual meaning behind that sentence but Kyungsoo did look upset that day.

 

“Oppa! Oppa!” fans were screaming at the airport even if one of their manager tried to shield the two artist away. “Chanyeol oppa I love you!”

 

Chanyeol gives a smile as he pulls Kyungsoo through the crowd. He remembered an incident back then with a reckless fan and her camera lens- she was getting too close to take pictures and hit Kyungsoo’s eye on accident with the lens. Chanyeol was so worried and angry at the same time but had to remain calm. It’s probably one of the reasons Kyungsoo’s so afraid of fans- he cannot differentiate between fans and sasaengs anymore.

 

“Where’s Baekhyun oppa Chanyeol oppa? Why are you with Kyungsoo?”

 

Chanyeol didn’t answer the question because they walked past the fans and into check in. Chanyeol does a double take at Kyungsoo who doesn’t seem to understand anything going on around him, like he spaces out all the time. “You ok Soo?” Chanyeol asks when they sit next to each other waiting to board the plane.

 

“Huh? Yeah I’m ok.”

 

“You’re so strange these days. I really do want to know what’s up with you.”

 

“If I tell you…I’m afraid it will change the way you treat me.”

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

Kyungsoo ignores Chanyeol’s question and takes out his phone. He plays some games and listens to music so Chanyeol won’t bother him. In fans eyes, it seems like Chanyeol’s trying hard to get Kyungsoo’s attention and is being ignored again. Is that why shippers deem their relationship as one sided?

 

When they board the plane and sit next to each other, Kyungsoo takes out his earphones. The large, and intricate eyes of Kyungsoo’s shines, as he takes hold of Chanyeol’s hand. “I…I really respect our friendship…”

 

It sounded like a breakup line. Chanyeol thinks.   

 

Before he could ask what on earth is Kyungsoo talking about, Kyungsoo sighs as he stares at Chanyeol again. “…but I really like you. Not as best friends, but something more than that. I…I think I have fallen in love with you Chanyeol…”