Five

My Last Serenade

When Exo arrived at SM building, they were all seated in a circle, nervous for what Kim Youngmin is supposed to tell them. Usually a meeting is only good after they received many awards or trophies, but right now they were just performing for concerts/have fanmeets so their comeback promotions were over. So if Kim Youngmin wanted to speak with them, it’s crystal clear that it isn’t good news.

 

“Do you guys have any idea what the public is saying?” his voice was stern as he stares at each of the members.

 

No one is usually brave enough to speak up so Junmyeon has to- being a leader isn’t fun. “What are the public saying sunbaenim?”

 

“That you guys don’t get along with each other. Your interactions are fake or for fanservice. That Kyungsoo is also going to leave the group” he turns to Kyungsoo with a serious look, “Director Choi also contacted me about cancelling your movie and replacing the actor. You weren’t following his orders and now he blamed it on our company. He lost profit from all the scenes and he asked me to make up from all those profits or he will file a lawsuit. Do you know what your incompetence is costing me Kyungsoo!” Kim Youngmin slams the table causing all of the members to jump from shock.

 

Since no one was speaking up, Kim Youngmin continues, “what on earth even happened for you not to listen to the director orders? Do you know what this movie could have done to this company? Director Choi NEVER hires idol actors and you had the chance so why did you blow it Kyungsoo?! Do you think you are better than other people now?”

 

Kyungsoo shakes his head as he bites his lips. It was rude to talk back to someone with higher power and older and he was afraid if he talked, he would just get into more trouble. Chanyeol turns to Kyungsoo beside him and he can see how scared the smaller boy was. He grabs Kyungsoo’s hand from underneath the table and plays with Kyungsoo’s finger- it was a way to ease off Kyungsoo’s fear.

 

“Talk to me Kyungsoo!” Kim Youngmin shouts. All of Exo turns to Kyungsoo and everyone felt bad for the guy to be put on the spot like that.

 

“I…I was just uncomfortable shooting all the…scenes in the m…movie” Kyungsoo stutters. It does help that Chanyeol was holding his hand because he felt like his voice came back. Chanyeol really was his best friend- they were always close like this.

 

“It is called acting you stupid kid”

 

Everyone’s eyes widen, never have they heard their CEO be so rude before. His harsh words makes Kyungsoo hold back his tears because he has never got yelled at this much before. He was always the quiet one that did his own thing- never got picked on or put on the spot.

 

“Sunbaenim” Chanyeol speaks up making all heads turn his way, “I’m sure Soo has his reasons. He always listens and obeys every order. Something probably happened on the set to make Soo uncomfortable.”

 

“Of course you would defend him. This money will be coming out of his profit. Now we even have to hear the public criticize our entertainment for getting kicked out of a movie. This is your fault Kyungsoo.”

 

-----

 

Kyungsoo went straight to his room when they got back to their dorm. “Sunbaenim was so harsh…” Sehun says softly when Kyungsoo was gone.

 

“He’s a jerk” Chanyeol rolls his eyes, “just because he has power over us because we all work under him doesn’t mean he can say things without thinking. Kyungsoo is sensitive. Those words get to him no matter how much it looks like it doesn’t affect him. If I weren’t still under the contract, I would leave. This isn’t worth it.”

 

Everyone nods, “that’s probably why Kris and Luhan hyung filed that lawsuit,” Jongin says sadly. “Then the public thinks we don’t get along and stuff. Whatever we do, there’s always pressure being directed at us. We can build our whole career but with one wrong move, everyone hates us.”

 

“With fame comes a bunch of other problems.” Yixing yawns, “come on guys. Just go shower and wash it off. And Chanyeol, you should talk to Kyungsoo. Make sure he knows we all love him and that we know the truth about why he isn’t in the movie anymore.”

 

“Will do hyung”

 

-----

 

Instead of just talking to Kyungsoo, Chanyeol made him dress in a hoodie while covering his face and drags Kyungsoo out of the dorm. Even though there were protests from Kyungsoo, from him whining about how tired he is and how stupid Chanyeol is for dragging him out at 11p.m but Chanyeol ignores it.

 

“Where are you taking me Chanyeol? I’m cold. I want to sleep.”

 

“Don’t lie to me. You are not going to sleep. You’re going to stay up thinking of all the words that were pinpointed at you earlier. Well I’m taking you out for some fresh air so you can forget about that jerk.”

 

Kyungsoo stops fidgeting when he realize that Chanyeol is taking him to the Han River. It is beautiful and peaceful at night.

 

“We used to sit here and talk about random things during trainee days.” Chanyeol chuckles while sitting on the ground. Kyungsoo sits besides him and reminisce the beautiful trainee days. Sure it was tough because they were all under pressure if they were going to debut or not but it isn’t tough as now. Now pressure is always on them and they were hated from left to right.

 

“Yixing hyung wanted me to tell you that the group is all on our side. We all know you didn’t do anything wrong. You defended yourself from a guy that tried to take advantage of you.” If Chanyeol could, he would march to Director’s Choi’s house and probably punch him in the face for violating someone as pure as Kyungsoo.

 

“I know I didn’t do anything wrong but I cause a bad name for the group. Maybe if I just let him do whatever he wanted, we wouldn’t get a bad reputation from the public.”

 

“What?” Chanyeol turns to Kyungsoo with a serious glare, one that Chanyeol does not really show unless he’s angry. “You are not supposed to sacrifice your body so that you make money for our company and make Exo more popular. I would not allow that!”

 

“It’s not like it matters. I’m gay Chanyeol. No one in South Korea would ever like me. My ity is not important. Especially since we are at our peak of climbing back after Kris and Luhan left.”

 

Chanyeol feels hurt that Kyungsoo thinks this way. He’s not sure if he’s disappointed because Kyungsoo thinks of himself as just a weapon to get fame for the group, or he’s upset that he is starting to fall for his best friend.

 

He has always liked Kyungsoo as a good friend, they were always beside each other and he treats Kyungsoo like a princess. He carried all of Kyungsoo’s stuffs when they went shopping and pays for their lunch even if sometimes Kyungsoo argues and pays first. Chanyeol even had thoughts that if Kyungsoo were a girl, he would be head over heels and probably be in love with Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo is practically his ideal type. He’s cute, caring, super sweet, can sing and cooks well. Sure he nags a lot but he always does things that Chanyeol likes.

 

Now that Chanyeol forces himself to think, he probably loved Kyungsoo all along but never thought of it as anything important because of the fact that Kyungsoo is a guy. But does it matter if Kyungsoo is a guy? He has everything Chanyeol likes.

 

Even if Chanyeol would accept he is falling for his best friend, he does not want to jeopardize the group. They were so popular that if news came out about their relationship, they would get hurt and be forced to leave. That is selfish of him because Junmyeon cannot handle all that. They already lost too many members.

 

“The river is so pretty” Kyungsoo speaks up again and his eyes were sparkling from the radiation of the flashing lights.

 

“You’re much more prettier” Chanyeol’s comment makes Kyungsoo turn to look at Chanyeol with a confused look. He was about to ask what Chanyeol is talking about but Chanyeol continues, “you’re beautiful inside and out. You’re caring and I think you’re like my guardian angel whenever I things up. It makes me upset when you don’t care about yourself or your body because I care about you Soo. I care about you so much.”

 

Kyungsoo remains quiet and turns away to avoid Chanyeol’s eye contact but Chanyeol pulls Kyungsoo back to face him. “Don’t ever think of yourself as a material worked to give the group a name. You’re a human being. A beautiful one.”

 

“Stop Chanyeol-”

 

“Why should I stop?”

 

“Stop making me fall for you. Just stop.” Kyungsoo gets up and was about to walk away but Chanyeol holds him back.

 

“I hope you know that the feeling is mutual.”

 

It makes Kyungsoo pause but then looks back at Chanyeol with hurt in his eyes. “What are you trying to say?”

 

“I also like you Kyungsoo. I’m just afraid we would jeopardize the group. South Korea is filled with narrow-minded people. And I-”

 

“So instead of trying to put the group on the line and caring about the public, you decide to hurt me instead?” Kyungsoo couldn’t hold back his tears anymore. Everything he has been holding back today rushes from his eyes. “Thank you Chanyeol. Thank you for throwing me away.”

 

“I’m not trying to throw you away! I’m afraid of the public finding out. I’m afraid of all the troubles the group is going to face. I’m just scared Kyungsoo.” Chanyeol tries to wipe away Kyungsoo’s tears but Kyungsoo hits his hand away.

 

“Then just stay away from me. You tell me cruel words to hurt me so I will stop liking you. But you’re just a coward Chanyeol. If you can’t risk anything for me, then I guess I have been falling in love with a coward. You’re not even worth it.”

 

Chanyeol freezes not knowing what to say or do because Kyungsoo is just walking further and further away from him. He knows he has two choices. One is risk everything for Kyungsoo and the other is to be a coward and go back to living his life normally.

 

His leg fastens up as he runs rapidly to catch up with Kyungsoo. He has been pushing away these feelings for too long thinking they were nothing when in fact he has been in unconditional love with his best friend. He does so much for Kyungsoo that it isn’t just normal for just friends. He doesn’t do half the same with Baekhyun or anyone else. He has been such a coward that his feelings have been left in the dark.

 

When he grabs Kyungsoo’s arm, he turns Kyungsoo around and presses his lips against Kyungsoo. “I’m sorry Soo. I really hope I’m not too late.”

 

Instead of hitting Chanyeol, Kyungsoo grins and hugs Chanyeol tightly, “you’re a minute away from being too late.”

 

Chanyeol kisses Kyungsoo’s eyes to his cheeks to his lips.

 

It’s a minute to midnight.

 

-----

 

A/N: Remember how I said this is angst? But putting Soo through torture alone is too cruel. So have a happy chapter for a bit ^^