One

My Last Serenade

“Kyungsoo!” Junmyeon snaps at the smaller boy who seems to be taking forever to get out of the makeup room. The makeup artists are already finished with their makeup and they have to finish their photoshoot but the whole time, Kyungsoo’s head isn’t in the game.

 

Kyungsoo clutches his jacket tightly as he approaches the leader who doesn’t seem to be happy. Junmyeon never dares yelling at Kyungsoo because Kyungsoo does a lot for him- they were like the umma and appa of the group. It’s just this time they were waiting more than ten minutes for Kyungsoo to get out of the makeup room. “What’s wrong?” a concern Junmyeon asks when he sees the pale look on Kyungsoo’s face.

 

Kyungsoo collects his thoughts as he shakes his head and lets out a small smile. “Nothing hyung. I’m sorry.”

 

“Don’t stare at the mirror too much. You’re already good looking.” Junmyeon wraps his arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulder and they head towards the photoshoot.

 

Right when Kyungsoo arrives Baekhyun is the first to make a comment. “Come on hobbit!”  But he quickly shuts up when Kyungsoo shoots him a death glare.

 

An unlikely friendship blossoms between them when they were put into the same group. First it was strange because some members knew each other longer from trainee days while others didn’t train for as long. Kyungsoo at first isolated himself until a certain wide smile giant approached him. From then Chanyeol told him that he and Baekhyun were his soultmates.

 

Kyungsoo snaps out of his train of thoughts when Chanyeol hugs him from the back but he puts his head down so Chanyeol doesn’t see his face turn red. Chanyeol then whispers in his ears, “the mission was to backhug the member I’m closest to. You’re so lucky Soo!”

 

“Get off of me giant.”

 

-----

 

Falling in love wasn’t easy, and falling in love with the same was even harder. Kyungsoo tries to ignore Chanyeol with every chance he gets making the group always laugh because of Chanyeol’s one-sided relationship. It wasn’t that Kyungsoo was tsundere like what the fans says, but he does try to avoid Chanyeol so he would stop liking him. It did not help when his roommates were Chanyeol and Jongin. Jongin was more on the quiet side but Chanyeol laughs at everything (even when Kyungsoo did not find it funny).

 

Liking Chanyeol was really a mystery.

 

“Kyungsoo-yah. Kyungsoo yah. Kyungsoooooo yahhhhh.”

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes do not leave his cellphone and Jongdae laughs at Chanyeol’s antics. “Leave Kyungsoo alone Chanyeol. Or else he will chase you around the dorm again.”

 

“Look at our height difference he-” Chanyeol didn’t get to complete his sentence because Kyungsoo jumps over the sofa to chase the giant. Chanyeol should have known that insulting Kyungsoo’s height only releases his inner demon.

 

Chanyeol couldn’t escape and they end up on the bed with Kyungsoo on top of Chanyeol while smacking his head. “Always calling me short!”

 

“Because you are! But it’s ok! Because you’re so cute you make up for it.”

 

Kyungsoo stops hitting Chanyeol and sits on the side of the bed. A derp grin escapes Chanyeol’s lips as he looks at Kyungsoo, “are you blushing?”

 

“No! I don’t like being called cute.”

 

“ it up because you are adorable. I think if we were just counting face, you are the best looking in the group- well after me of course.”

 

Kyungsoo laughs as he hits Chanyeol on the shoulder, “idiot.”

 

“Hey lovebirds” Baekhyun peeks his head in, “stop flirting because we have a fanmeeting. Get changed~”

 

When Baekhyun leaves Kyungsoo glares at Chanyeol and Chanyeol looks dumbfounded. “What? You want me to leave? We are all guys. We shower together but you’re too shy to change in front of me?” Chanyeol takes off his shirt, “come on princess. We have all seen each other .”

 

Kyungsoo gets up from the bed and kicks Chanyeol’s for calling him princess. He takes his clothes in the closet and runs into their shared bathroom.

 

“Nooooooo” Tao screams while holding onto his pants. “I need to pee. Hurry up hyung!” Tao’s loud voice was heard throughout the dorm. They only had two bathrooms and Yixing was occupying the other one.

 

“You must be a ert if he doesn’t want to change in front of you” Jongdae teases and Chanyeol rolls his eyes.

 

“Shut up. I’m only a ert for girls.”

 

Even though Chanyeol only meant to say that to Jongdae, Kyungsoo hears from the other side of the door. He goes back to staring at himself in the mirror (which is why he was late to the photoshoot today). There isn’t a reason for staring so deep into the mirror but Kyungsoo picks out his flaws when he looks at himself. Chanyeol might tell him that he’s good looking but all Kyungsoo sees is a pathetic looking image of himself. He doesn’t like his eyes, nose, lips, cheeks, anything about his appearance. If he looked like Sandara, maybe Chanyeol would look his way.

 

“Come on hyung” Jongin’s voice interrupts Kyungsoo’s thoughts. “We are leaving.”

 

-----

 

Fanmeetings were fun because of the interaction with fans. They were funny and they always made witty comments that make some of the members pause, not knowing how to reply.

 

As time passes, Kyungsoo signs a picture of him and Jongin. “Kyungsoo oppa. Please don’t cheat on Kai oppa with Chanyeol oppa. Please!” Kyungsoo is taken back as he looks at the fan and tries to force a smile. Kyungsoo isn’t a man of many words either but he was starting to feel uncomfortable. Sure fans can ship them together, but if he ever comes out as gay, he’s sure it would all be different.

 

“You’re the cutest. I’m your biggest fan!”

 

The voice was deep so Kyungsoo looks up to see a fanboy smiling at him. “Ah…thank you” Kyungsoo slowly smiles.

 

“You make so many guys turn gay. You’re so beautiful we have a fanclub for you. We all want to take care of you! You’re the best Do Kyungsoo!”

 

Chanyeol who hears the commotion turns to his left and grins, “give him a hug Soo!”

 

Sehun laughs at Chanyeol’s antics and the fanboy jumps up and down in excitement. Kyungsoo stands up and the fanboy wraps his arms around Kyungsoo. “Thank you for being my fan” Kyungsoo whispers.

 

When the hug broke, the fanboy gets an autograph from Chanyeol and his face also lights up. “You’re my second bias!”

 

Chanyeol lets out a ridiculously obnoxious laugh. “Because I helped you with your idol right? No problem uh-”

 

“Minwoo”

 

“Thanks Minwoo. We hope you see you again.” Chanyeol gives him a hug too and Minwoo runs off with excitement.

 

After the fansign, Kyungsoo holds his sleeves as he recalls what a fan said earlier. That boy is so weird. Shouldn’t guys like girls? It’s a sin for him to be all over you D.O. Kyungsoo was so speechless that he couldn’t respond, while their security told the fans to move faster in the line.

 

“Soo where are you going?” Junmyeon notices Kyungsoo about to enter the wrong vehicle. It is unlikely that Kyungsoo spaces out this much- unless he is learning it from Jongin.

 

“Hyung, I’m going to go buy some groceries to cook something tonight. I’ll see you back at the dorms.”

 

“Alone?”

 

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

 

“We are at our peak of popularity Soo. People will recognize you. Let me tell someone to go with you.”

 

“Wait hyung-”

 

Kyungsoo groans when he sees Baekhyun chasing after him. “Let’s go Soo! Here’s our matching mask.”

 

-----

 

“What’s up with you lately? Is something bothering you? You can tell me. I won’t tell anyone.”

 

This is exactly why Kyungsoo didn’t want someone to tag along with him- especially Baekhyun, he’s so nosy and is always putting his nose into other’s people business. Seeing that Kyungsoo isn’t responding him, Baekhyun’s eyebrow arches and he grins, “let’s exchange secrets,” the latter suggests.

 

“No” Kyungsoo walks ahead making Baekhyun pout and chase after him.

 

“Fine. Let me tell you my secret then. Taeyeon and I are seeing each other.” it was such a blunt statement that Baekhyun just shared.

 

Kyungsoo stops in his tracks as he turns to face Baekhyun with wide eyes. “You do know that if the company finds out- or worst if fans find out, that could lead to a lot of trouble right?”

 

“Of course I know. That’s why it’s a secret. But I’m willing to risk it for love.”

 

It took a lot of constant struggles within himself for Kyungsoo to turn to Baekhyun, “Baek what do you think of a guy falling for another guy?”

 

“What? That’s random. Uhhhh I think it’s their business. But I rather not see any physical actions because it’s so taboo here. Why? Worried bout your fanboys falling for you? You do have the most fanboys in the group.”

 

Kyungsoo shakes his head, “I was just wondering.”

 

Baekhyun laughs as he teases Kyungsoo because that’s his favorite hobby. “You’re so cute you turn guys gay. You will be the problem in South Korea Do Kyungsoo.”

 

Kyungsoo hits Baekhyun on the head as he walks to the market, “you’re an idiot.”

 

“I mean fans likes us with each other, but that’s cause it’s fun to see guys interact with each other more than girls, cause it causes jealously. But I don’t know how they will react when they find out that we are all straight. I mean your relationship with Jongin is so motherly.”

 

“Do you like getting paired up with another guy?”

 

“I think it’s funny. I don’t mind it. I’m apparently with Chanyeol anyways and our personalities match. But being with with him is a totally not my forte. Hence, why I’m dating Taeyeon.”

 

“Have you told anybody this?”

 

“Only you and Chanyeol know about this. He congratulated me for dating someone I used to idolize. So I told him to make a move on Sandara.”

 

“Why? He doesn’t even look good with her. I mean he’s so loud so he needs someone to tone him down. He cannot do much and he needs someone to help him around and nag him or else nothing will get done.” Kyungsoo didn’t even realize his word vomit until Baekhyun gives him a stupid smirk.

 

“Sounds like you and him would make a cute pair then. I mean he did buy you guys couple rings.”

 

“Friendship rings”

 

“Whatever. Wear it more often or his efforts will go to waste.”

 

As much as Kyungsoo wanted to tell Baekhyun about this crush on Chanyeol he knows he couldn’t. He cannot tell anyone. All he can do is wish this attraction goes away.