Chapter 3 - 1|3

Amends of Heart

 

[Chapter 3] Part.1

 

Taking a space on the chair, Kyung Rok directly sat on it before the reading table at the bedroom. Leaned against his back, he threw out a gaze at a framed portrait, stood at the same table – the only picture displayed at the room. Years ago, still in his high-school period, he and his grandfather took that picture.

 

Both of them shared the similar smiles - beamish ones. The old picture was randomly shot by his grandfather’s friend. Kyung Rok would never forget how blissful his feeling at that age. It was the day he won a highest prize at school for the youngster pianist contest. The grandfather attended the event without the mother. He was the merely one who gave him so much support and strength that in the end he managed to grab the honor of being the best pioneer amongst youth in his town - the best moment in his life and he always had given the appreciated contribution to his grandfather.

 

(…Flashback…)

 

“How was the take?” Myung Il, the grandfather asked gladly after the shoot had finished.

 

“I love it.” Cracked a smiley face, Kyung Rok responded and his attention was really drawn by the just taken picture. He was very preciously happy.

 

His head was tapped gently. “Chukka hae, Kyung Rok-ah.” He heard that clearly. “But sorry, I wasn’t able to bring your mother along with me. She should’ve been here, celebrating your day.” All of a sudden, Kyung Rok’s smile faded out. Thoughts about his mother had never pleased him, remembrance of that woman had always made him drawing back the smile he had.

 

“Before I got to the contest, I did as her many times to come along. Yet, you do know your mother very well. She never listens. She’s always a stubborn one. Anyhow, she will be happy if she knows you’ve just won the contest.”

 

“…Would she?” Kyung Rok immediately replied with doubt as he had no guarantee the good news from him would make his mother happy as the grandfather stated.

 

“Of course she would. Whose mother wouldn’t be glad if her son won something great like you’ve just done, huh?”

 

“But, she’s my mother.”

 

Hushed up. Myung Il sensed something deeper in his grandson’s true meaning behind the response.

 

“Because she’s my mother, she would never be like any mother. She’s never been happy for me. She never likes me playing the piano. So, how can she be happy if I bring her this news?” Sounded disappointed, Kyung Rok could not lie himself was enduring an endless dilemma.

 

Ruffled his grandson’s hair, Myung Il caught the idea of what was Kyung Rok getting through at the moment. Though he had been trying to encourage the teenager to think positive about his distantness with his own mother, Myung Il was not capable of casting aside the reality which already happened. His daughter, Yeon Shil, never be nice to her mere own son. She all the time treated him harshly and firmly. Perhaps, those were one of other unknown reasons the two had never been amiable to one another. In truth, for the whole moments in his life, he pitied Kyung Rok of putting up a big hardship at such a young age because of his mother and the mother was his only daughter – that even brought more grimace on him.

 

“Kyung Rok-ah!”

 

At instant, they both turned to a side. There, a young girl was waving her hand merrily, at Kyung Rok, especially.

 

Oh? Hyo Jin.” Kyung Rok mouthed, a bit taken aback by her sudden appearance. Out of nowhere, the teenage girl just became visible.

 

She right away headed the spot where Kyung Rok and Myung Il were standing.

 

Myung Il looked at the grandson briefly, smirked. “She likes you, I can tell.”

 

Haraboji!” Chucked a surprised look towards the grandfather and absolutely shocked. Kyung Rok never expected the old man would express his belief that way.

 

“You like her too. Don’t you?” Carried on teasing.

 

Not deliberately, Kyung Rok’s mouth made an ‘O’ shape upon catching up the judgment his grandfather just put forward. “…What are you saying?” He became totally clueless.

 

Hyo Jin reached Kyung Rok finally. “Yaah, I heard you won. Congrats, Kyung Rok-ah! I’m happy for you. Ahni-a. Actually, I’m really really happy for you.” She gave him an obvious thrilled laugh.

 

Smiled. “Gumawo, Hyo Jin-ah.”

 

Justly chuckled, it made Hyo Jin seem a cute innocent girl. Particularly, in Myung Il’s eyes. The same age youngsters got along well, thanks to Hyo Jin. At least, Kyung Rok could feel joy being befriended with others. At least, he would see another corner of life - happiness. At least, he would leave somewhat his quandary behind for having a kind-hearted companion. Myung Il always prayed for those.

 

“So, what prize you just got? Money? Cloth?” Enthusiastic. Hyo Jin visibly was curious.

 

“…none.”

 

“None?” Surprised. Wrinkled the forehead, as in Hyo Jin would not want to believe. “But, why?”

 

“Because, our Kyung Rok….” Interrupted. Straight off Myung Il voiced. “He’s going to enter another contest which is bigger than the one he’s just won and certainly he’s going to compete with other winners from all over South Korea provinces. That’s the prize he just got. Isn’t it awesome?”

 

Clapped the hands blithely, Hyo Jin jumped shortly once on the air, boasting her pleasure upon the good news about Kyung Rok, the best friend. “Whoaa! Kyung Rok, you’re indeed impressive.”

 

Patted slightly on the grandson’s shoulder, Myung Il agreed with Hyo Jin’s compliment by giving Kyung Rok a short yet delighted chortle. But then, he beamed proudly.

 

‘You totally are.’Myung Il corresponded.

 

(…End of Flashback…)

-

-

-

A cup of hot tea, as demanded, had been put on the table. Hyo Jin looked up at Ki Chul. The husband seemed so focused on his progressed work, absolutely it was all about his hotel business deal. Indeed, he was very hard-working man of affairs.

 

“Do think about it thoroughly.” Ki Chul mouthed, without being predicted. The suggestion he just made about some kind of business his wife would want to do, he asked Hyo Jin to consider it thicker. “When you’re ready, just tell me.”

 

Consequently, Hyo Jin conceived her husband did pay much heed of her doing some random cooking just now as if it was a big deal to him that he could not take careless of it and that was why he reminded that thing on her over again.

 

“Do you think I’d be able to manage a business?” She questioned.

 

Sitting on the chair, now gazed up at Hyo Jin who stood before the table, oppositely to him. Ki Chul was staring. “Why wouldn’t you? Gather a confidence and you’ll make it. As long as you think you’re confident to do one thing then it isn’t going to be a problem. I’m here. I’ll help you to achieve a success.”

 

‘ Yes. You do have the power, definitely you’ll have anything succeeded with such power you have.’

Hyo Jin talked to herself, alone. He always said he was there for her. Those were the same promise he gave her when he asked her to marry him back then - he promised to take care of every trouble she encountered and he actually did. But, she was forced to accept it, she had to suffer for accepting him. And in Ki Chul’s eyes, everything would not be impossible.

“I’ve no idea. But then, I’ll think about it.” Not that agreed to say it out, yet, Hyo Jin thought she just had to.

 

“Good. Let me know if you have.”

 

Formed a small and not the honest smile for sure, Hyo Jin broadened. “I’m going to bed. Don’t work too much.  Sleep earlier.”

 

Hmm.” So casual nodded to the reminder, Ki Chul had no refusal.

 

Went out of the reading room, Hyo Jin took seconds to let out a heavy sigh. As it sometimes happened, Ki Chul’s words somewhat burdened her to pieces. Off the spot, walked along the corridor, passed by another room – Hyo Jin halted her steps at the time she was seeing its owner readied himself to go out, likely. She guessed it was already 9 p.m.

 

From the back, Hyo Jin uttered a doubt. “Are you going out?”

 

Spun around to have the speaker now being in front of him, Park Jin Woo, the son of Park Ki Chul, the same aged stepson of her, chucked an annoying look, voiced a disrespectful tone. “None of your ing business.”

 

“You’ve just come back home. Better stay and rest.”

 

“Told you it’s not the business you’re allowed to get into. I’m not a puppet, being a part of this gracious household, relax at home, do nothing, like a very pathetic loner. I’m not like you. Besides, what, do you think marrying my father would permit you to have a mom’s act towards his son? Too bad. You wouldn’t even get to that level.” Approached closer to Hyo Jin, Jin Woo had a glare for her, hardened his face that showed how much he was not pleased to watch her even for a minute. “You got to be lucky to be a part of this house, a part of my father’s life, the wealthy man.”

 

Made a bothering expression, Hyo Jin frowned at the word wealthy. She was sick of it already. Believe or not, it was freaking out of her willingness to marry Ki Chul. Then, how did people easily come to conclusion that she would marry the old man just because he was rich? No one knew the real reason behind that.

 

“One important matter you should remember.” Jin Woo added. “In me, you’d never be the part of this family, you’re nothing but a stranger. So, stay out of my life, materialistic human.”

 

Recklessly, he walked off while his upper arm hitting lightly at Hyo Jin’s, purposely or not. Nevertheless, Hyo Jin saw it as he actually intentionally did it. Along with endless hatred he took on her all the time, with lordliness he believed he would always have, he could have done more than that toward her.

 

She was hurt. A bit hurt, to be true. However, Hyo Jin had been used to it, very much used that sometimes she would feel herself being immune to Jin Woo’s rude attitude as well as his poisonous statements. It had been happening since the early time of her marriage. Jin Woo disliked her to the max. He detested her. Insulting and humiliating were partial to her. Thus, she could not get affected more. She already had enough of all those.

-

-

-

-

Finished locking up the bedroom’s door, Hyo Jin turned around and smartly headed a big window at the front. Looked out the window, viewed the outside’s surroundings, immediately she assumed the night was so serene. She wished for a tad of peace would sneak into her mind, her soul. Thus, deep inside her heart would turn out as calm as that peaceable night.

 

Hence, somehow, moments from her past called up, happened to be the first encounter she had with Kyung Rok, about 12 years ago.

 

(…Flashback…)

 

Aaahhh!!” There, Hyo Jin fell down the wet-grassed field along with her bicycle. Winced, she felt somewhat hurt on her ankle. Gathered some guts, finally, Hyo Jin raised up on her feet. At the same time, she found the school uniform she was wearing had soiled with dirt.

 

Ouff! What a bad day!” She grumbled a curse afterwards.

 

“Are you okay?” Out of nowhere, a husky voice dropped off her eardrum.

 

Quickly, Hyo Jin turned and saw a teenage boy taking a glimpse at her ahead of picking up her bicycle and having it stand closer to her. She did not realize from where he suddenly appeared. Taken aback with that act she barely received from others, Hyo Jin was tongue less.

 

“Are you sure okay?” The teenager repeated.

 

Merely nodded her head twice, Hyo Jin stood still. And in the end, she grinned.

 

No smile featured on the latter’s face. “Fine, then.” Shortly, he intended to walk off. 

 

Ahmmcho gi yo!” Hyo Jin said those loud just after the young boy passing by her.

 

The latter immediately stopped. He spun his body around to look at the girl grinning yet again and having her hand waved on him to get back to her.

 

Confused and reluctant, he reached to follow her sign. He came back to Hyo Jin. She had to limp a bit so that she could face him right.

 

“…could you please help to get me up there?” Being forced to ask for a favor, Hyo Jin had to do it. Pointed to the upwards of the field and reasoned why she called back the stranger, the boy who she never had any idea of who he was actually. “I’ve hurt my ankle.”

 

Everything befallen too swiftly that at last Hyo Jin and her bicycle had managed to stand upright on the side of the road – the spot she was riding the bicycle before she accidentally losing her balance and hit the downwards, out of her fortunate.

 

“Thanks so much for helping me.” Made a glad expression, Hyo Jin beamed. “What’s your name, anyways? I’ve never seen you anywhere here before.” Moreover, he was not wearing a school uniform so she could not guess whether was he a student or not. Though, he was so young that he must be attending some school. “Are you new to this town?” Showed friendliness in her tone, subsequently.

 

“I’ve got to go now.”

 

“But—” Speechless. Hyo Jin could not stop his steps from walking away just like that.

 

One second, she turned and had a glimpse at the latter’s back.

 

Two seconds, merely watching from behind, Hyo Jin’s expression implied that she did have a thing to let out.

 

Three seconds, she bit her lips and turned up being hesitated.

 

“I’m Hyo Jin!” Ultimately, she shouted.

 

Slowed the steps and eventually the male teenager put himself on halt.

 

“Kim Hyo Jin is my name!”

 

Turning, the youngster stood a feet away from her. Hyo Jin studied his lips murmuring, emitting out something she hardly heard. Thus, she squinted. …Rok? What Rok? She doubted. “Were you speaking?!” Wanted to be assured, Hyo Jin cried. She was not so sure the complete one however she was sort of certain she had just captured the word ‘Rok’ from him.

 

Did not even respond, Hyo Jin simply saw him moving his lips once again. But, this time he was not trying to say anything she could tell. Instead, she wondered, was he smiling or smirking? The latest expression he gave was really unreadable. Carried on his halted steps, the latter went on distancing himself, walking away. And, for Hyo Jin, she justly made a blank stare at him.

 

Kim Kyung Rok…..that was what she could have heard earlier.

 

And, little did she know, this young guy would turn out filling in some of greatest parts in her life, back then and now. The very least did she predict…

-

-

-

-

Few minutes toward 12.am at midnight, tidying up the comforter as well as the thick mattress, Haeri was getting herself ready to have a sleep. No idea why but lately she could not sleep early than usual she used to. Spontaneously, turned a glance at the hand phone nearer, she gave it a brief look ahead of reaching for her LG phone. Flipped it over, her eyes automatically caught its wallpaper’s image which was earlier criticized firmly by Minkyung who very much disagreed she still kept the picture with her. The picture taken while she being together with the ex, that was when they were happy by each other side, and that was back then.

 

(…Flashback…)

 

“…Lee Haeri…don’t know why but for sure, this name has always given me such warmth. The warmth I would never find in someone else. I think that was why I couldn’t even bear to keep pushing you away. I like the name and I got to be so lucky.”

 

Turned to the former, wrinkled a tad, she wondered why was that and why should he be?

 

The former one, sitting very comfortably next to her, the guy quickly flashed a bright smile through his lips, not even took a look at her. “Because…” He began. “I’m having the owner’s name by my side now and I’ll make sure she’s mine forever.”

 

Immediately, Haeri felt herself flying within the serene clouds upon hearing each word from the sweet confession he just made. She could feel deep inside her was blossoming. She did breathe an appreciation of love there.

 

“What such a sweet talker you are.” She responded.

 

Chortling, the guy then made a short reply. “Nevertheless, you do love it.”

 

Yet again, they both chortled at the moment their eyes met. Haeri admitted she did admire him giving her affectionate phrases. They sounded so real, so fond that she always saw the earnestness of him for her.

 

Hands on Haeri’s, he folded them tenderly and their fingers interlocked. Turning to her, eyes stared, very softly. He started. “Haeri-ah….I’ve once left you for being a coward one. I lied I didn’t love you for I wouldn’t want you to be there while I was dying. Really, I thought I was going to die but, I’m still alive now. It was you.” Halted, his warm stare deepened. “It was you who saved me. You actually were always there for me and in return, I’ve hurt you badly.”

 

Seonbae – ”

 

He swiftly cut her off. “Haeri-ah…I might leave you over again.”

 

Upon that, she froze. Earlier, she was going to say to him that it was all fine. Yes, he had hurt her beforehand. However, it was for her sake. It was because he did not want her to suffer more. Hence, she forgave him. And…now he was saying he might leave, for the second time, yet again? Haeri just did not comprehend him. What actually are you trying to tell me, Seonbae? She doubted.

 

He smiled ahead of continuing. “Still, can I say this? If that really happens, if I ever leave you again, please don’t lock your heart from me, okay? Because…I might come back to you, like how it happened yesterday. I left you but then I came back now and I might do this again in the future.” There, he paused.

 

As if she had fallen under his spell, Haeri had not said anything as fondly, the back of his right hand touched her cheek and caressed it briefly. “So…don’t ever forget about me. All right?” He looked deep into her eyes which were gently gazing at him and he knew she loved him dearly.

 

Slowly a tiny beam her lips unwrapped, she nodded. Agreed with him. That she would never forget about him, no matter what would it take.

 

Glad to have that kind of response from her, he could tell she understood what he meant. Leaning in, he gave a light peck on her lips. Parting, seeing him smiled, Haeri could not resist herself from sharing one. Again, when she turned to him, she heard him saying.

 

“I’ve always loved you, Haeri.”

 

(…End of Flashback…)

 

And, perhaps that was the reason she still had hope for him to get back to her. The reason she kept the old picture until this moment of time. Looked down back at her hand phone, it was asking whether she really wanted to delete that picture or not. Hesitated, she even was not clear of what should be doing. Blurting out a heavy sigh, she ended up pressing the button NO.

-

-

-

-

It was the last song to be recorded for the upcoming drama’s soundtrack album which would have its release some time soon in the future. Kyung Rok joined hand with partner, Choi Hyun Joon for the soon to be done project.

 

“Indeed, you’ve done another very wonderful job, Kim Kyung Rok-ssi.” Folding both arms under his chest, Hyun Joon complimented. At the same time, he tossed a secret flirty wink at the female singer who was in progress recording the last song at the inner room of the studio.

 

“Thanks to you.” A short one from Kyung Rok.

 

Hyun Joon said more. “Well, you’re the best partner I’ve ever have.” He spun around to face the left side of Kyung Rok and added, “hmmm, anyways, I heard you’re to have another project with this famous idol group.”

 

Tilted the eye alone, Kyung Rok got the question more than clear. Did Hyun Joon refer to Mr Song who he had met recently? Yet, he acted as he was not paying a proper intention on it.  

 

“Did I hear the news right?” Hyun Joon asked.

 

“You heard a useless rumor actually.”

 

Held his arms down, Hyun Joon stood straight and then he wrinkled. “So, it’s just a rumor?” Without waiting for a reply, he demanded. “If it’s actually an offer, why didn’t you take it? It could be your chance.”

 

And, this time was Kyung Rok’s turn to confront Hyun Joon, oppositely. He did not really get Hyun Joon. “My chance?”

 

Nodded. “Yeap. A chance to build more sources for creating the greater stair to the world of recognition in this music industry. You create more music then you’ll be the greater name. That’s why you should accept whatever offer you receive. How many times do I’ve to tell? No great name, don’t wish people would come to you and make some begging. Make a move, man! You’ve the big talent.”

 

Flashed out a smirk, Kyung Rok just did that. He said nothing.

 

“What?” Hyun Joon sensed something wrong with that sort of smirk.

 

“It’s all about having a big name, huh?”

 

“Of course, it is. This greedy music industry, you can’t survive with being unknown in it. Being just an ordinary music producer, it can’t pull enough. You’ve to be more than that. Therefore, you should steal any opportunity you get. Yes, at this instant, you’re famous already. However, you should make steps to keep being famous, not only for today, nor tomorrow. If possible, for your entire life. Got that?”

 

Hyun Joon turned to the front to catch the singer winking her eyes at him in the middle of her singing, he suddenly got pretty excited like such a player he indeed was. He continued. “And yeah, have I told you this? You get the big name, you’ll definitely get many pretty gorgeous ladies. Just like her.” Over again, he pointed out that singer who seemed to have already fallen for his flirtatious charms. “No need being an idiot to chase after them, they’ll come to you by themselves. Isn’t this a joy of life?” He glanced at Kyung Rok and simpered. “Ah, there’s going to be a party tonight with the guys. Come along. I’ll have some y beautiful girls especially for you.”

 

Whatever. That was how Kyung Rok’s sort of face responded to Hyun Joon.

 

“So, you'll be there?”

 

“Count me out. Go have fun yourself.”  

 

Yaah – ” Before he could complete, Kyung Rok had already walked out. “Aisshh! Why always like that? You’ll never get the real life with that endless arrogance. Hoh!” A bit blown up, Hyun Joon merely did a sighing in the end.

-

-

-

-

Leaving out of the studio, Kyung Rok intended to just go back to his office room. But then, someone was crying out his name a bit loud that simply he could catch up. Turning, he saw Yong Jun approaching his spot while some unfamiliar men tagging along at the back.

 

Hey, have you been told about the newest show you got in-charged in this upcoming week?” Yong Jun began.

 

“What show?” Kyung Rok was seen doubting. He had never been told about one.

 

“A special piano showcase. Our big boss – ”

 

“Kim Kyung Rok...” Someone interrupted, “is that you?”

 

Head turned, the feature on Kyung Rok’s face suddenly altered, in some ways implied that he did not like what was he looking at the moment his both eyes encountered the owner of the voice, the voice which had just questioned him.

 

“Yeah, absolutely.” The voice answered the wonder itself. “You’re Kim Kyung Rok. Long time no see, the great newborn-talented pioneer.”

 

Yong Jun frowned at the last part, turning up to be so confused. As for Kyung Rok, the face he was showing so much lack of delights, nor pleasures. The great newborn-talented pioneer? Though it should be a honorable praise toward him, in fact it stung his ears. To him, it was none other than just an insult. True, he was somehow offended. However, he tried to toss that hidden feeling away.

 

“Y—you’re what?” Yong Jun demanded as he had drew closer toward Kyung Rok. “The grea— ”

 

“Indeed.” For another time again, Yong Jun was disturbed. “And, the great helper as well.”

 

Distorted, Kyung Rok had finally reached this someone was trying to strain his patience. This someone who he never wished he would confront nor meet again, not only in this present life but included the next life.

 

Ahmm, do excuse me.” Yong Jun quickly uttered. “But, you two already met each other?” Puzzling, he turned to the former first then to Kyung Rok, at his right side before he could go on, “Kyung Rok-ah, you’ve met Seo Kang In-ssi?”

 

Moving his emotionless yet now furious stare toward the man who complimented him just now, the same man who sounded so fake to him, Kyung Rok was looking at him, tensely. Seo Kang In, are you making attempt to toy with me, yet again? He thought.

 

Then, he could see the Seo Kang In man gifting a wicked smile while mischievously fixing his gaze, very seemed like the two were battling against one another, so much as the revengeful one and his foe.

 

 

♪       ♪       ♪       ♪       ♪

 

 

Truly sorry for the very late update. Anyways, hope you would enjoy this one ^^