Chapter 1 - 2|3

Amends of Heart

 

[ Chapter 1] Part.2

 

Gripped the back of his head for a second, Kyung Rok shuffled his sitting position then. Fronted the office table, he appeared to be looking like disturbed by something. Choi Hyun Joon, his so-called partner, had just made him a call, telling some more pieces were supposed to be created for a soundtrack album of new drama by two weeks from this instant. Yet, he had only one potential piece which possibly could be included.

 

Sort of situation was really pretty worse and this had been turning him out to be restless, brooding over how to resolve it as soon as possible. After the cruel incident two years ago, he no longer could create even one piece of music as he used to. To be sure, his mind, his ability had been stuck ever since. Out of the blue, a bit of his past came up.

 

--- Flashback ---

 

‘ “I always believe our music combination will make a good one. Look, we’ve worked together before and none of our works are unsuccessful. This time, we can make another and it can be better. Don’t you wish to have more recognition?”

 

“Recognition…” Replicated the very last word, Kyung Rok smirked a little. “It does sound good.”

 

“Of course. Just say you agree with this. Full stop.”

 

“Hyun Joon, you must’ve disregarded that never did I create all those music.  Those were originally someone’s properties. I simply gave them amount of money so that I could consider those were actually mine. In short, I bought other’s pieces and acclaimed them as my own. Obviously, in fact, we had never made one successful music combination.” Kyung Rok opposed.

 

“Whatever. Whether it’s someone else’s piece or yours, it doesn’t matter. The point is, you have the style of music that I really want, that I really mean to compose. That’s all that matters to me.” Hyun Joon had not given up his big intention – having Kyung Rok involved with him for music business.’

 

--- End of Flashback ---

 

Yes, he admitted to it. That ‘buying pieces’ trade, he had been taking charge of it for quite some times now, to be accurate. Innocent people might look at the matter as some wrongdoings, as crime. But, in his view, as long as they would never get the idea what actually happened behind those scenes, he would not be bothered. What was he concerned all about – his purpose was a victory.

 

Later, his hand phone rang.

 

 “Yes, Jong Hoon?” He answered.

 

Hyung, hmm…mind you, this can be a bad news.”

 

In a flash, Kyung Rok scowled of what he had just heard. Bad news? He never loved it, unquestionably. “Why the heck you’re giving me a call then?” Sounded angered already.

 

“Sorry. I’ve really no other way but to inform you this.” Fluttered with anxious, the caller could not hide his fright through the voice. “About the things you’ve asked for, I thi --- I think likely we’re not going to have them.”

 

“Likely? You said likely?” Resounded being disgusted, Kyung Rok replied as though he implied that thing was slowly getting on his nerve.

 

“He’s been avoiding me.” Interrupted right at the minute, he intended to blurt out the true reason so that his alleged boss would not outright give his temper away on himself. “Whenever I came to meet him, he hadn’t even paid any heed. To let you know, I’ve been trying many times to get to him, the last attempt was the seventh. I…I --- I read he’s ignoring your favor anyway.”

 

Suspired, he could not take this anymore. Had no enough time to hold up the album’s process, he ought to be in a hurry.

 

Hyung…hyung? Are you still there?”

 

“Send me his address right away.” His rigid voice let out an order unexpectedly.

 

Dae?” To the earlier command, Jong Hoon reacted stunned while Kyung Rok was about to hang up.

 

“That man’s address, send it now! Clear?!” Ended the call, audibly, he exhaled a bit of annoyance. In small stages, he had mustered irritation. ‘Trying so hard to avoid me? You bothersome creature.’ Kyung Rok whispered in dislike. ‘Let’s see how you hang in there.’ His facial expression stiffened.

-

-

-

-

Had swept the bamboo floors with a vacuum all over the corners at the apartment, she went by the only bedroom there which whatever might come, it had better to not be gotten in. Recalled what she got by way of cleaning it’s inside the previous day, Haeri pulled a face promptly. Straight off casted aside her nuisance she developed for the owner of the room, she passed on paying another task - mopping windows with towel.

 

She had finished the toilet. Put on an apron, Haeri was going to cook some dishes. But then, she doubted, ‘will he being here at lunch time? The food shan’t taste any yummy if that person is to be back home at night. Hoh! What a very complicated human.’ At last, she decided to simply carry on with what she had been doing all this while.

 

Eventually, Haeri had done with the meal for lunch. Each dish she kept in each average container and set them up on the kitchen table. Took a look at them shortly, she talked to herself. “With a bit of luck, they’ll be well eaten. Please do not have chance being some rubbish yet again. That monster! Ouff, how can he be so ungrateful?”

-

-

-

Got into a café, Haeri firstly headed for the counter. “Ahnyong hasae yo.”

 

Dae, ahnyong hasae yo. May I help you?” One of the female counter’s attendants greeted. She cracked a smile.

 

“I’m Lee Haeri. Minkyung --- ”

 

Ahh…Minkyung’s friend, right? She had told someone’s to substitute her for today. Assume it must be you.”

 

Dae, I am.” Haeri was in accord with the statement. “Uhmm, I’m not that late, aren’t I?”

 

“No, you arrived exactly on shift-time. Well, since you’re here already, at first, I’m going to lead you to the changing room. Come.”

 

Without delay, Haeri followed at behind. Concurrently, she gave herself a little smiling.

 

Yesterday, Minkyung called her for a help – to replace her spot at the café justly for one day because she had minor class that should not be missed. Plus, she said the café manager had no problem with her getting an alternate to fill in her place on that day. Hence, Haeri agreed. Besides, she had been assured to have a little pay. It could be not that much, still, at least, she got some benefits.

 

The manager surpassed by chance. Taking one to two orders and submitted them to the attendant at the counter, Haeri was questioned by him spontaneously.

 

“How’s everything? Doing good?” He asked in a welcoming way.

 

“Of course. Do not mind me. I’m doing okay.” With a low-pitched and polite, Haeri spoke.

 

“Glad to hear that. Keep going anyways.” Such a warm response. At that point, he departed then.

 

Haeri was left behind imposing. Her eyes still attached to the manager’s back. Judging from the outer appearance of him, he must be in his late 30s, she estimated randomly. ‘What a well-mannered person. Minkyung’s so lucky having this boss. It’s supposed to be more than luckier being a housemaid for this kind of guy.’ Compared her friend’s position to hers, she made unclear sigh in the end.

 

“Order, please!” Another customer cried out.

 

Nae, coming!” Haeri reacted fast and spirited.

-

-

-

“Kyung Rok-sshi!” This was claimed suddenly when he was having his way out of the office room.

 

Slightly grinning, she was the only female staff who worked under him at the talent department. “Are you going anywhere?” Genially yet carefully, she expected.

 

“Is there anything you want to talk about?” He looked at her with the always same expression – cold.

 

Err…it’s about…” Kind of she was fairly stuck, somehow.

 

“I’ve no time to chatter around. If there isn’t any significant thing to tell, never waste my time.” Worded a strict reminder, Kyung Rok indeed meant it.

 

Hmm, I’ve just received a phone call from Mr Song.” Speedily, she patched up the situation so that he would not be discontent with her. “He told he had been attempting to talk to you but, unfortunately, you were unreachable.” She halted, taking some breath to continue. “So, he was planning to meet up with you.”

 

“Is that all?”

 

“Yes.” She nodded.

 

He immediately took off. Not even utter any response.

 

Still gazing at the latter, she pouted. “Actually, I was going to ask whether you want to have a lunch box. Failed again. Hoh! Kim Kyung Rok-sshi, why you’re so damn cold, yet, very handsome man? Huh…apparently, today’s not your day, Lizzy-sshi.” She indicated those to her own.

-

-

-

-

Scanned the area, he had turned up at that location finally. Jong Hoon sent the address through message. In fact, he was going to come along. Instead, Kyung Rok instructed him to just go back to the office. Less than a minute, his pair of eyes already had captured someone he yearned to confront. He had his move forward.

 

“Son Joon Hyuk!”

 

Startled, it was like he knew very well who was calling out his name, the guy seemed hesitated to turn around. When Kyung Rok had gotten near, then he reluctantly faced him. There was a somewhat grump he showed off upon Kyung Rok’s arrival.

 

Yaah, why are you here?”

 

“Do I’ve really to answer that?” In return, Kyung Rok asked back.

 

Joon Hyuk was frowning.

 

“Those pieces I’ve wanted you to find for me, I’ve sent my assistant to get all of them. You must’ve met him.” Slid his both hands into his trouser’s pockets, Kyung Rok stared trickily at Joon Hyuk. “What a very snobbish of you have been neglecting him up until now. Is it because you can’t trust him that you can’t just give him the pieces? To be honest, I’ve had some business to handle lately. So, I couldn’t take them myself like I used to. Still, it isn’t necessary to make me waiting for long. Don’t you think it’s too much?”

 

Sneered , Joon Hyuk stated. “You came here then…it’s because you’re thinking you’ll have them? I mean, those music pieces?”

 

Tossed a sly look, Kyung Rok verbalized. “Won’t I?”

 

Burst out laughter briskly, Joon Hyuk offered. “Don’t you get my ‘message’, buddy? What the heck do you think the reason I didn’t welcome your man yesterdays? Huh? Because, I really didn’t have the need to do so. Make it short, I’ve no desire to work out this business with you anymore. If I did, you’d already have received them. That kind of message, can’t you comprehend it?” With a grim tune, he put a damn on Kyung Rok’s face.

 

Inversely, Kyung Rok remained staring, emotionless. Even though, he clearly had caught the negative reception.

 

“Just forget it, Kim Kyung Rok. Back then, might be I had no problems buying someone’s pieces to be sold to you with higher prices yet, this time is no more. There’s someone else making a bid much higher than yours for all those.” Someways, Joon Hyuk let slip the real reason for his unwillingness.

 

Crinkled, Kyung Rok was drawn by Joon Hyuk’s disclosure. “Someone else? Kurae yo? Reckon I’ve a new rival on this business. Interesting.” He formed a cunning smile. “Who?”

 

“You need not to know.”

 

Subsequently, Joon Hyuk was about to go away. However, Kyung Rok grabbed him by the arm.

 

“What the --- ”

 

Kyung Rok pulled it backwards hardly and right away seated him down on the bench, with force.

 

Yaah! You --- ” Exclaimed. Joon Hyuk obviously grouched.

 

Hit slightly at Joon Hyuk’s arm, Kyung Rok had a scheming intention with the act. “Still remember how this arm of yours was broken and wrapped up with cements for three weeks further back? And yeah, your head, that neck and both legs, I suppose they had ever been bandaged. Right? I’m wondering who ever did those to you.”

 

Astounded, Joon Hyuk was being speechless. Almost not had a stirred glance at Kyung Rok, he convinced to himself in mute. ‘Who did those to me? You jerk, it was you.’

 

“And of course, I bet you haven’t forgotten the event a year ago, which caused you lying down in hospital ward for almost a month. Have you?”

 

Swallowed his saliva down his throat, Joon Hyuk summoned up those past occurrences. When he was a high-school student, almost every student named him ‘a big bully’. Kyung Rok attended the same school as him. Cold and cocky look he always put on view manipulated Joon Hyuk becoming prejudice towards him. Because of that bad feeling he had for Kyung Rook, he always started those fights. But, regrettably, never did he win even once. Rather, sure enough, he got through a lot of pains from aiming to ‘toy’ with the former – ‘special’ pains that were gifted by Kyung Rok, his so-called target. Also, ever since, he did not dare having his hand on him.

 

Yaah Son Joon Hyuk, don’t tell me you can’t remember any of that.”

 

Yaah! Are you threatening me?!” Joon Hyuk had seemed defenseless yet, still had a gut to retort.

 

“What if I am?!” Louder, Kyung Rok snapped.

 

Joon Hyuk was dazed. The former’s furious volume already made him trembled. Became nervous now.

 

“Who is it? That someone else.” Fixed a stern gaze on, Kyung Rok had not given up. He ached to know.

 

He had not reacted.

 

And for Kyung Rok, he awaited. His fierce eyes had never left Joon Hyuk’s as he was giving alert that he would attack him any minute.

 

By way of being afraid of that sort vision could be real happened, seconds later, uttered disappointed moan, Joon Hyuk barely repaid. “It’s…Seo Kang In.”

 

Forthwith, as if Kyung Rok was struck by a tad of silence, he distorted his eye-brows a little - speculated how that name would be the one he yearned to hear.

 

♪       ♪       ♪       ♪       ♪