Chapter 2 - 3|3

Amends of Heart

 

[Chapter 2]Part.3

 

Leisurely walked into an inheritable mansion belonged to Park’s glory family, Hyo Jin seemed a bit weary. The coincident meeting with Kyung Rok earlier made her somehow wore down. The tiresomely long denial he had thrown on her indeed upset her deep inside.

 

Oh, Madam, you’ve come home.” A housemaid came out and greeted.

 

Ah, yeh…I’ve just arrived.”

 

Figured unusualness with her madam’s look, she then asked. “Are you okay, Madam? You seem tired.”

 

“…Do I?” Responded casually. Hyo Jin cracked a smile on her face, the tiniest one, trying to be seen fine. “Anyway, the meal for tonight has been readied?” Concerned.

 

The housemaid told she was preparing some at the time. Then, she went on spontaneously. “How was your day with the acquaintances? You must have really enjoyed it. Thus, you appear to be this tired, I guess.”

 

Smiled wider, Hyo Jin found it was a funny statement instead. A bit true, it supposed to be an enjoyable day she was having with a group of loaded friends out there. It supposed to be a fun one to spend times outdoor than staying alone at that big mansion which merely seemed luxurious from the outside. Yet, no one ever knew how she had led her life inside. People might believe she was the luckiest to be married to the moneyed CEO of Seoul Star Hotel, to have lived at the very grand place, to be able to buy and wear expensive branded outfits, to have been driven by anywhere she wanted. However, those were nothing to her, at all. The fact was she had been enduring a solitary all along. As if she was searching for a right path on the lonesome road and still no one had desired to accompany her and help her to find a way out.

 

Ahjumma…” Hyo Jin addressed the housemaid. “I’ll go upstairs first and change. Then we can prepare dinner together.”

 

Eyy, don’t bother, Madam. I’ll take care of it. Just go have a rest.”

 

“Never mind though. I’ll help you out.”

 

“But, Madam—”

 

“Be right back.” Would not let the maid keep talking to refuse her, Hyo Jin stepped away and headed the first floor stair.

 

Heaved a sigh for not capable of resisting the latter, the housemaid actually was a tad touched by Hyo Jin’s act. She muttered. “Master surely is lucky having this wonderful woman as a wife. She’s even young.” Just then, she gave out a second sigh over again.

-

-

-

Entered the kitchen area with typical medium pace of footstep, it became slow and slower while Kyung Rok could eye a few meals set on the table. He just reached home. Halted. ‘ Yet again? ’ He thought. Had not he enlightened from the beginning that he did not want any food served at this hour? Neither lunch nor dinner. Even so, there he still could see some. And sure enough, that was not the first time.

 

Showed displeasure upon the matter, Kyung Rok opened the refrigerator in return. Took a bottle of juice out and brought it onto the table, his eyes happened to give those meals somewhat stare, not an excited one assuredly. Poured the juice into a glass with the eyes of him had never left the food, seemed like it troubled him so much, how bizarre. Drank up the juice finally and his gaze still locked in the uneaten food yet.

 

What he remembered, ever since the irregular housekeeper sent into his apartment, he had never touched even a bit any of those food which were prepared for him every morning, every noon, not even once. Because he did not think others would be required to take care of his needs. He was an independent person so he was able to arrange his own necessity. And because of these, he had notified foods were no way necessary to be ready. Although he had made this very clear, why it must have to be neglected? Wasted no time, he right away threw all the food into the bin, expressing his very much dislike of them.

 

In the bathroom, had shower already, stood opposite to the sink, Kyung Rok held his own unexpressive gaze at the mirror afterwards. He was looking at the same him, nothing changed – a man with oval shaped face, short messy wet hair, a little brownish eyes, no moustache and obvious of all, the poker-faced which could not be faded out but had always attached to it. That reflected him too bold. That was what he well-known with amongst people around him – being impassive.

 

‘ Pure goal. Your grandpa normally would point this out whenever he mentioned you. I anticipate you’re acquainted with it better than me. ’

Out of blue, every word of those came across his mindset. The ahjusshi, Son Joon Hyuk’s father, a good friend of his late grandfather, threw these at him without him even expecting they would come out of the mouth of that old man. Earliest, Kyung Rok might have acted showing he did not pay any heed on the matter. But then, he figured himself was flustering.

 

(…Flashback…)

In a small room at the aged tiny wooden house, harmonized each chord and note within the buttons on the piano, the teenage Kyung Rok sharpened further his hearing while concentrating on the music sheet before him. Thus, the music piece he was eagerly playing would bland well together, become more soothing. Daily, he would practice whenever school had finished. However, that day he had a ‘special guest’ sitting at the corner, watched him presenting his own skill with that very favorite instrument of him. His grandfather. He first noticed Kyung Rok’s talent when that grandchild was only five. It was Kyung Rok’s birthday. At this same place, with the same piano, as a gift, he sat Kyung Rok next to him and played a birthday song for the boy.

 

Finished the song till the end, Kyung Rok clapped both hands happily in return. The grandfather then asked whether he loved the song or not. The innocent boy merely nodded. Afterwards, over again, the common birthday song was accorded. He saw the little boy excitedly chuckling.

 

“What such cutie you are, Kyung Rok-ah. You must be fond of this song. Right?” The grandfather uttered.

 

Merely, Kyung Rok gave out another small chuckle.

 

Beamed alone. Ruffled the boy’s hair, the grandfather mentioned. “What so excited about? This song, it’s just the regular one. Yaah, save that keen face of yours. There are still many special songs I could play for you. Tell me, are you desired to listen?”

 

Gave no response, Kyung Rok did not even look at his grandfather but ran his petite one finger on the piano, pressed playfully.

 

Sighed a tad. The grandfather . “Uh-huh, you’re a kid anyway, know nothing much.”

 

Then, a sound was created. The sound abruptly led the grandfather to be in daze. That sound was coming from Kyung Rok. He had just played the very beginning note of the birthday song and he repeated it over and over. The chords sounded not really accurate. Nevertheless, he just made it. Shocked, the grandfather almost could not believe what had occurred. How would this boy be able to do that while he simply listened to the song twice and there was no sheet to refer? Moreover, he was justly a little boy.

 

On purpose, the grandfather pressed some buttons and played the next short note to the song, tested whether or not would Kyung Rok catch him up. Very slow, the boy responded. He could imitate the note well. Then he went on doing it again. Hence, the grandfather sat speechless. He pondered. ‘So, is this how the talent running in the blood? This child…’ Whilst staring at Kyung Rok who kept busing himself playing the piano. ‘…This child might know nothing much. But…is astounding.’ The grandfather completed.

 

Ever since the event, Kyung Rok was sent into piano class, despite of having disapproval by his mother, the grandfather insisted. He believed Kyung Rok would succeed as he was able to see that gifted talent in his grandchild. Guessed his belief chose the right one. Since middle school, Kyung Rok’s extent skill was very much praised by his piano teacher. The grandfather was once reported that Kyung Rok’s skillfulness could not be beaten by other students. For this reason, the grandfather strongly trusted Kyung Rok would be certainly up to go further in the field. He had faith in him. The great faith.

 

At times, their glimpses met and immediately smiles formed within their lips. Kyung Rok got back at focusing and did not even bother taking look at the sheet. Meanwhile, the grandfather with his unending yet smiling face, he made a gaze at the former. Deep and deeper. Now on Kyung Rok was a high-school student and his interest in piano had never faded away. He said spiritedly to his grandfather that one day in the future he would become a great pioneer, just like the grandfather. Gradually, the grandfather flaunted another smile yet the proud one.

 

Having seat outside the house which seemed isolated since it turned up to be at the very end of the village. Lawn surrounded, hills located behind the house, closer to a beach. Peacefully, sat at the bench with their backs facing the old house, Kyung Rok and the grandfather held their stares at the beach.

 

Haraboji…”

 

Oh, Kyung Rok…”

 

“You were a popular pianist back then. How popular?”

 

The question made the grandfather laughed suddenly, almost forgot he ever disclosed that he did play piano some years ago, long before Kyung Rok was born. Though, he could not recall whether was he popular or not? He took a little time to reply then. “How popular was I? Hmm…I have no idea. Have I been popular all along?” Hesitated. “How would I answer you? I don’t even remember.”

 

“Then, it’s weird.”

 

“…Why weird?”

 

“Because, that Son ahjusshi, a friend of yours, he stated you were an amazing pianist and popular. It’s not just him but almost everyone got the idea. That’s not true?”

 

Turned his sight at the frontage, the grandfather exposed a beamish face, very casually. “Really? He did?”

 

“Please say the truth, haraboji.” Encouraged. Kyung Rok was eager to be let known.

 

“…You want to know the truth?” The grandfather seemed doubtful.

 

Straight away Kyung Rok gave a quick nod.

 

The grandfather heaved a light breath. Being mute for seconds, he cited. “I loved playing the piano. It used to be a part of me. I looked for money by playing it, by receiving invitations to perform at hotel, at club, at function. Reckon because of those, they called me popular.” Laughter burst out ahead going forward then. “Piano had always been a help to me. It made me achieved my dream, it led me being a pianist – the title I’d never imagined I could ever get. But, Kyung Rok-ah…”

 

Directed his view only towards the grandfather’s expression, Kyung Rok happened to be more concentrated, to heighten his listening.

 

“I think I would’ve never reached that level if I didn’t bring a goal along with me.”

 

‘What goal?’ Kyung Rok doubted solely.

 

“The pure goal.”

 

Saw the confused react on Kyung Rok, the grandfather nodded himself. “Uh-huh. You heard right, the pure goal.” He carried on. “My other friends, they also played piano, much better than me. One said he wished he could be a popular pianist so that he could earn more money and be famous. Another said he desired a world-class pianist title so he could be people’s idol. Then they asked me ‘yaah Kim Myung Il, how about you? What kind of pianist would you be?’ I answered I would become a sincere pianist. There they were laughing at me. They thought me as a naïve person. They enlightened with such dream, I’d never have success.”

 

The grandfather went on reciting – Despite of those remarks he got, still, his skill and his talent could be recognizable. Still, people considered him as some legend. The strength, the struggle and most of all, his sincerity made no full stop on his former career. He already made it that far.

 

“I accepted the invitations, I went to the musical functions, besides I wanted to get some money, on top of that, it was because sincerely, I love playing the piano. It was the reason I had become the pianist. I played because I loved it. I entered some contests because I loved piano. This feeling is natural. It just came from my heart. That was why I called it purity.” Looking back at Kyung Rok, the grandfather proceeded. “If you want to become a pioneer, be one, do the best, let the purity take over the rest. Kyung Rok-ah, the most wonderful and the greatest piece would only be produced by purity, would only exist with sincerity. This is the pure goal I’m talking about.”

 

Kyung Rok contemplated. Just now, he was blurred. Even so, the confusion in him towards the real goal his grandfather was referring to had gradually wiped away. He ensured. “So, haraboji, pure goal is—becoming a pianist with purity in heart?”

 

Dae, you’re correct. Be the one who have it, be the one who make pieces with pure goal and these pieces—will always win people’s hearts. Don’t forget, huh?”

 

(…End of Flashback…)

 

Poured the warm water all over his face, Kyung Rok swiftly ran the past away from his head, had no willingness to recap the remainders. Pure goal was becoming a pioneer who played piano with sincerity. Back then he believed it and attempted to cherish that dream with such goal, nevertheless, he was entirely ruined in the end. For such purity, he had been thrown in betrayal. For along with it, he struck hard unfairness. More tragic, he had lost loyalty in others. Even his faith in himself had long broken. And much wretched, because of struggling to realize that goal, he ended up being incapable of creating anymore pieces that at last, he had stopped himself pressing any of his fingers on the piano – became somewhat vulnerable inside.

-

-

-

The husband had already back from work. As usual, Hyo Jin would welcome him home. Courteously, she was about to get hold of the office-case from her husband’s grip, rather, he avoided, reasoned she had no need to do so.

 

“By the way, dinner’s ready.” Hyo Jin submitted.

 

Nodded his head, the husband reacted. “I’ll go change first.”

 

“I’ll be waiting down here.”

 

Dishes already served on the big eating table which had twelve chairs. However, unluckily, only two persons were sitting and having their food – the habitual routine which constantly took place. While serving the remained on the table, the maid informed that her madam was cooking most of that night’s dinner’s menu.

 

“You were?” Park Ki Chul, the husband, wanted to be assured.

 

Hmm, dae.” Agreed with the maid, Hyo Jin simply fed with the short answer.

 

“Next time just let the maid work on those things.” Expressed disfavor on the subject, however Ki Chul voiced calm and solid.

 

“It’s okay. Besides, there was nothing much I could do so better I lent a hand at the kitchen. Moreover, I miss cooking.” Hyo Jin defended her own act. Her husband might have no idea how boring she was justly relaxing at that huge house without having certain things to do.

 

Ki Chul did not utter anything but chewing a steak, nonchalantly.

 

“Is the steak good?” Randomly, Hyo Jin began. “We didn’t have enough time actually to prepare its complete ingredients that it possibly tastes not a bit yummy.”

 

“It’s tasty.” Ki Chul commented.

 

Pleased with the positive feedback, Hyo Jin smiled and continued eating.

 

“How about run a business?” All of a sudden, the suggestion was put forward from Ki Chul’s mouth. He pointed it out to his young wife.

 

Afterwards, Hyo Jin casted a better sight towards the husband with doubts. She got perplexed.

 

“I’m suggesting you start a business. At least, you’ve a main thing to take care of besides working on the kitchen. You can meet new people and importantly, you’d spend more time at the outside.”

 

“Still, I’ve used staying at home, like always. Working at the kitchen is not a big deal for me, really. I love cooking anyway.” Announced as gentle as she could, Hyo Jin was aiming to convince that she was better off being the way she was.

 

Ki Chul laid the fork and the knife down on the plate, the steak left half-eaten, he tossed a serene look at the woman who might be at the same age of his grown up daughter, if only he did have one. “Do you want to be tagged as a housewife for your whole life?”

 

Frank to say, ahead herself being married, she used to live in poverty. Therefore, the thought of tagging on a housewife’s title never came across her wants, unless she was willing to die from poorness. “Aren’t you happy? I’ve been a housewife since we’re married.” Hyo Jin verbalized.

 

Short, the housemaid appeared within the conversation, without warning. “Young master’s here.”

 

Automatically, the couple paused. Hyo Jin turned her head around to catch her stepson’s figure at halt at the moment he saw the two people were dining. Hyo Jin glanced at him and he shot hatred with his glimpse. She always knew he hated her.

 

“I’m home.” The young man sounded detached, stood coolly at the spot, did not intend to get into the dining room either.

 

“Have you eaten yet?” Ki Chul wondered. “Come join the dinner.” He concluded then. Showed no amiableness in his tone, as same as the son’s.

 

“I’m full.” Heedlessly, he walked away.

 

Consequently, Ki Chul hushed up. Emotionless.

 

Peeked at her husband, she was hit by somewhat disturb, Hyo Jin doubted how actually Ki Chul felt upon the remoteness he had always shared with his own and so called only son. Both of them did not talk much, did not even have time to spend together – Ki Chul busied himself with the hotel trade and the son most of the time engaged in joy having been amongst prominent heirs to their families’ notorious organization, very rarely at home. Since the first day she was married to Ki Chul, she had never seen both smiled at each other, nor laughed. When Hyo Jin asked this, Ki Chul replied it was so common that some child would grow distant from his parents as he grew up. And when she tried to know more, her husband would not let her to ask further.

 

At first, Hyo Jin supposed the distant coldness between the two was because the idea of her marrying the father. But then, she finally found out that was not the only explanation. The housemaid who had been working there for almost twenty years now, she disclosed to Hyo Jin short after they came back from honeymoon which honestly at the same time was the commerce trip for Ki Chul – the kinship between her husband and his son had fallen apart since the son was still a teenager. That time his late wife had not yet dead. Ki Chul had struggled to rekindle the spoiled bond. As a payback, the son had totally ignored him – this very much helped for why they had never developed in a good term till the present. The factual cause was yet unknown.

 

Drank a glass of orange juice, only had it a little before brushed his lips lightly with a napkin. “I’m finished.” Ahead of leaving, Ki Chul demanded from the maid. “Send me a cup of tea. I’ll be at the reading room.”

 

Yeh, Master.”

 

Hyo Jin raised, pulled the chair backward.

 

“You’re done, Madam?”

 

“Yes. Ah, Ahjumma. Let me brew the tea.”

 

“All right then…I’ll clean up these leftovers.”

 

“I’ll give you a help later on.” Hyo Jin suggested.

 

Eyy, don’t trouble yourself. You’ve helped getting ready the dinner. Now it’s time for you to have a rest. Let me handle things here.”

 

Ahjumma, are you looking down at me? I’ve the idea already you’re much better than me regarding the kitchen.” Kidding. Hyo Jin did not mean what she had just said.

 

Omo! I’m not!”

 

Chuckled. “I was just joking. Don’t take it seriously.”

 

Breathed a relief, the housemaid then advised. “But, Madam. You really need not to do this kitchen thing. I know you love cooking and I’m more than happier that you’re always willing to help but then, you should let me do things by myself next time. I’m the maid.”

 

Head nodded. Hyo Jin concurred. “Okay then. I’ll take your say to account. Don’t be sad.”

 

The housemaid grinned a tad. “I’m not. Ah, Madam, shouldn’t you go make the tea? Master would be asking for it again.”

 

Dae. I’ll have it done quick.” Headed to the kitchen, Hyo Jin left the maid behind, letting her doing the course at the space.

-

-

-

 

Sat next to each other, Haeri along with Minkyung were taking a bus, both heading their homes. They lived at the same area. Already past 9 p.m. Shortly after done with the rehearsal, they dropped by a store as Minkyung wanted to buy some drink and there, she sat peacefully in the bus while slurping a can of coffee.

 

Meanwhile, Haeri flipped over her hand phone that subsequently caught sight of herself in a scene in a picture which she set as the hand phone’s wallpaper. The picture displayed a couple’s scene during their lovable moment, standing closer to one another, smiling blithely. What made it unfortunate however – the scene was taken about a year ago so it possibly could be regarded as old one. More regrettable, the guy she being with, was now no news to be heard, nowhere to be stumbled upon.

 

Snatched the hand phone fleetly, without warning just in seconds it was in Minkyung’s softy grip.

 

Yaah!” Haeri exclaimed, turned up being upset, disapproved Minkyung’s act.

 

“Still this picture?” Seemed unbelieving, folded eyebrows, Minkyung questioned with discontent.

 

Quickly, did not even respond, Haeri grabbed her hand phone back from Minkyung’s hand and right away pulled it to her chest as if she was protecting it, as if was hiding the picture from being seen even though Minkyung had already figured that out, so obviously.

 

“What’s with you all of a sudden?” In fact, she wanted to be sounded mad at Minkyung. Instead, Haeri complained in a light tone.

 

“I was the one who supposed to ask you that.” Looked like things going quite not in the right place. Minkyung was now being put up. Somehow her dissatisfaction towards Haeri’s reaction would likely end her up in anger by any minute.

 

“Why do you still have that picture?” Minkyung doubted, looked dislikable. “And you even have it as your hand phone’s wallpaper. May I know a sensible reason for that?”

 

Solely shut the mouth up, Haeri tended to be silent, began to be really uneasy.

 

Minkyung proceeded after a minute, with a serious tune. “Why wordless? Unless, you do have no reasonable answer for my question, don’t you?”

 

“…the picture…” Tried to begin but there, Haeri paused, hesitantly.

 

 “Yes, it’s the picture taken with the guy you haven’t met for months since the break-up, the guy you haven’t heard news from him whether he’s dead or alive–”

 

“Don’t talk rude.” Haeri hastily cut off. “He’s not dead yet.”

 

“How would you know? Has he contacted you? Or, has he told you he’s leading a very wonderful life right now after heartlessly dumping you for some rich older woman? Has he?”

 

“Kang Minkyung!” A bit but not that loud, Haeri expressed disfavor upon hearing.

 

“Still want to defend him? Ousshh!” Distressed. Apparently, Minkyung showed no to Haeri’s act of indicating that she still have feelings for her ex-boyfriend whose Minkyung had always thought of as a jerk. “What’s with you actually, unni? Clearly, he’s useless. Have you forgotten how he broke your heart? He caused you so much pain already. Therefore, it’s really insane of you to keep on hoping for him to come back to you.”

 

Yaah –

 

“It’s been nearly a year now. You’re still longing for that jerk, unbelievable. Tell me, do you still send him message ‘have a nice sleep, nice dream’ every night? Do you?”

 

Would not want to eye Minkyung, Haeri pretended do not hear her, looking away.

 

Smirked. “Look at you. I can tell with that kind of face. Yaah, unni, you send him message, has he ever bothered to reply?”

 

“Why being curious?” Protested.

 

“Of course I am! I don’t want you to keep on doing crazy thing.”

 

“What crazy thing?”

 

Oh, please!” Minkyung had reached the level of irritation. “He’s already someone else and you still keep sending him messages, like a ert.” And that was the crazy thing she meant.

 

Yaah! Yo—”

 

“Don’t you think so? Send someone’s boyfriend a good night message. Also, keep the old picture alone by yourself as it is too precious to delete. What do you think that action would be? Huh? You might have no idea that jerk had possibly gotten rid of it. No. In fact, he definitely did.” Gave out a sigh. Throughout this whole time, Minkyung thought Haeri already got over the past. But, she was wrong. Apparently, Haeri had not yet let go of it. “Please open up your eyes, unni. Enough is enough. Your past, throw it away already. Hoh?

 

Silent, Haeri did not even bother to look at the latter. Inside her, she was not mad at Minkyung for saying those. It sounded so logic. Though, she could feel herself being dismayed.

 

Ahh…when are you going to stop? Always wind me up with this sort of trash.” Minkyung whined. This was not the first time she was annoyed with Haeri’s unchanged manner regarding her former lover and this was not either the first time Haeri got on Minkyung nerves, just because the hopeless guy she had not disposed of yet.

 

Haeri, on the other hand, already struck by a tad of sorrow, and by the end Minkyung even gave her double.

 

♪       ♪       ♪       ♪       ♪

 

 


MusicPlaylist
Music Playlist at MixPod.com