Chapter 2 - 2|3

Amends of Heart

 

[Chapter 2]Part.2

 

 

“…..betrayer.” Mumbled. Such word had come first in the mindset.

 

“What?” Hardly heard him, Yong Jun contorted the forehead. He had not gotten the apparent answer.

 

‘Park Ki Chul – the influential ex-politician has now climbed onto another stair of big success as the lucrative owner of Seoul Star Hotel.’

A news came out, broadcasting from a channel on the television randomly.

 

Offhandedly, Yong Jun watched.

 

Kyung Rok did as well yet, vigilantly – mechanically put away the conversation they had just had.

 

“What a boring news.” Complained in contrast, Yong Jun had a remote control in his hand and aimed to switch the channel.

 

“Don’t.” Prevented, Kyung Rok swiftly discarded the latter’s idea. Then, he had his concentration back on the tv.

 

Felt odd at the reaction, Yong Jun pondered over – Kyung Rok was indeed a strange human. Had no fond of opposite , instead, he always followed any news regarding the late 50’s yet dominant man Park Ki Chul – the same gender as him. He had always been interested in that man’s issues, ironically.

 

Never did he take his view off that prominent figure whose latest news of him celebrating his notorious hotel’s anniversary and at the same moment, getting more attention by opening up new branches at Busan and Jeju.

 

Therefore, Kyung Rok could see clearly this Park Ki Chul had all the time presented his smart congenial smile on the camera.

 

Observed Kyung Rok’s, wrinkled his eyebrows, Yong Jun added more into his guess.

‘Are you a gay or what? If you are, no wonders you’ve no taste in women. Even if you are, do pick a younger one. Why the heck Park Ki Chul? So bizarre.’

 

Swallowed his own saliva, Yong Jun could not imagine if the wild estimation he had would be real.

Kyung Rok was a gay?

No way!

He had never thought of Kyung Rok would be one. He could not be.

 

Slowly and carefully, he swayed a glance at Kyung Rok.

Surprisingly, that guy had stared at him with questionable one. For how long already? He got no idea.

 

“Were you day-dreaming?”

 

Oh?” Trapped. Yong Jun rapidly corrected his mind before saying.

“Just random thing – girl’s stuff. You know me.” Faked the truth, he exhaled a breath afterward. Turned to the tv – he figured out the news about Park Ki Chul had been over.

 

‘Named as handsome bachelor, again, Park Jin Woo is getting on spotlight, not just for being an intellectual young model, he who is as well an only heir of Park’s inheritance – that would not be much said he will definitely be a successor of Seoul Star Hotel’s business.’ An entertainment news broke out then.

 

Hoh, just this instant was his father and now his turn. What a first-class household.” Yong Jun remarked concerning the show appeared on the same channel. “All the family’s members are infamously well-known. He’s got to be lucky for having such great wealthy father.”

 

All of a sudden, the tv was shut.

 

Hey! What was that?” Turned over on Kyung Rok, who abruptly popped out of nowhere. At that time, he already stood at the front, beside the tv. Yong Jun indeed had no mind why the heck that guy had to switch off the channel. He had not fetched up the news until its end.

 

“I’m going out now.” Unconcernedly, Kyung Rok told. No further delay, he exited.

 

Left behind clueless, Yong Jun perplexed.

‘What actually happened to this kid, anyways? Why didn’t he just leave it on? I’m still here to catch up the tv though.’ He asked himself for the real answer. Kyung Rok had always given rather same reactions whenever news about Park Jin Woo came to the fore. Every time that face of Park Jin Woo showed up on broadcast, Kyung Rok would straight off change to another program – that would be merely normal if once or twice, yet he did it most of the time. This was really opposite to how he paid so much attention to Park Ki Chul. Then, supposed to mean that Kyung Rok was the father’s fan but not the son? Obviously, yes.

 

To be prolonged, Kyung Rok would not bother buying newspaper nor magazines which covered Park Jin Woo at the very front page. Some anti’s act? Yong Jun guessed. He had questioned the matter before, put forward his puzzle not too long ago, and Kyung Rok had responded once – I don’t adore him. Eh? Had they both ever known each other before that Kyung Rok gave sort of answer? Then, when he furthered, asking why, he had never been served with the correct solution. All in all, he still could not see the true cause why Kyung Rok should behave in that weird-suspicious way. The only thing he could comprehend – Kyung Rok was not fond of this Park Jin Woo guy.

-

-

-

BREEP! A message had been sent to his inbox. Kyung Rok gave a look at his cell phone and examined every word the message stated.

‘ I was going to tell you but my strict father was there so here the issue. Those pieces I’ve given out to you. There’s one I got from a newbie. Guess it’s a bit out of ordinary, unusual from others, I mean. See if you can discover it. And yeah, of course, my money, don’t forget to send them in.’

 

And, surely the sender was Son Joon Hyuk.

 

Hyung, you’re calling for me?” After, Jong Hoon asked while having entered the mini-studio and headed to Kyung Rok’s spot.

 

Oh.” Agreed, Kyung Rok handed over the latter some sheets. “As usual, play these pieces and record them all.” Later on, the records would be submitted back to Kyung Rok after the working had been finished.

 

Received the stuff, Jong Hoon studied them and blinked for a while. “These sheets…you’ve gotten them. Whoa!” He turned out to be rather astounded. He had been trying hard to pick up those things by himself beforehand. Yet, he failed in progress. Thus, he reacted as if he barely could believe it. “How came you --”

 

“Don’t ask much.” Kyung Rok advanced. “This only stays between us. Got it?”

 

Hesitantly, Joon Hoon intended to obey instead. “I’ll have all these done quick. Trust me.” Brought out the amiable face of him, he aimed to make a guarantee and he was sure of no problem with it as he had been doing that same frequent job for quiet sometimes now – played sheets Kyung Rok would pass on him and then took records of them. And, so far, he had never been complained for that.

 

About to have his way out from the studio, Kyung Rok froze his own steps before he could pass through the exit. He already heard Jong Hoon practising one sheet with the piano at behind. But, that was not the reason he suddenly came back to the previous corner.

 

Sat before the black piano, Jong Hoon halted from playing. “What’s up, hyung?”

 

“Don’t bother. Carry on.” Instructed and then leaned his back against the piano’s body, Kyung Rok actually was been reminded of Joon Hyuk’s memo just now. Consequently, he checked out for something with those sheets.

 

Without more delay, Jong Hoon merely proceeded with him pressing the piano’s button, continuing the task he had been signed on and being focused, ignored his uncertainty towards Kyung Rok’s act. Meanwhile, Kyung Rok explored every key and note on every sheet music he was holding, and at the same time he attempted to have some pictures of how those might sound like. Then, he stopped at one of them. Sized up full attention in this one piece, he could tell there was something about it. Hence, he would like to be assured.

 

“Leave that one behind. Play this instead.” Out of nowhere, Kyung Rok demanded while implying to the sheet he forwarded. Automatically, Jong Hoon had no other way but to hold up and listen to the latest command. Looked at the confused reaction of Jong Hoon, he was actually puzzling of what sort of mind Kyung Rok had at that time with the preferred sheet anyway.

 

However, Jong Hoon outdid the matter. Next, carefully but relaxed, key by key, he produced a sound out of the piece Kyung Rok would want to hear from.

 

During the procession, Kyung Rok could not deny his thought, his feel were accurate. That sheet had something particular, something which would voice typical yet more remarkable on the other hand. The more he listened to it, the more he got into. As Joon Hyuk told him, it was indeed uncommon. It was…..somewhat ear-catching. Still, it was not only that. In fact, it had more.

 

Hmm…this– this is amazing, actually.” Kyung Rok heard Jong Hoon praised while giving himself an own smile.

 

Kyung Rok’s mind clicked immediately, doubted. Who would create such piece? He swiftly recapped that it was a newbie’s work. If so, what kind of newbie it was, perhaps?

-

-

-

Got into a small-scale studio which owned by a mate, Haeri quickly greeted, said hello at some buddies who had already existed there. Located her bag on a mini rack nearer the one and only piano at the studio, then she took away her thing out of the bag.

 

Unni!” Minkyung addressed right when she headed to the former’s position. Had her single arm clung onto Haeri’s shoulder shortly, she made a very amiable expression.

 

Oh, Minkyung.” In brief, Haeri merely replied with those.

 

“How have you been doing?”

 

“I’ve been fine. Anyways, thanks for that substitute job. You’ve helped me got some ka-ching.” Afterwards, Haeri smiled while giving a look at the young girl – much younger than her, to be truth and the reason why she was called ‘unni’.

 

Eyy, it was nothing.” Being low-profiled, Minkyung said further. “I know you’d be very glad doing that sort of job. So, I offered you one. How was it? You liked it?”

 

Nodded, Haeri straight away showed her pleasure. “It’s indeed such a nice place to work for. Plus, your boss is a kind human, I can tell.”

 

“...Yeah, he is.”

 

“Thus, you’re very lucky.” Immediately, the phrase was emitted out. “My advice - whenever you’re to come up with this thought of wanting to quit the job, do reconsider it so many times before you nail down the final one.” Half-spiritedly, Haeri added up.

 

And Minkyung, she already had her forehead crinkled a tad upon that supposed message – somehow felt Haeri was acting weird as she never brought up that matter before – the job’s matter, to be elaborated.

 

“Because you might not find as nice one as that place and more essential, you might not stumble on a person above you who is as kind as your current boss.” Haeri continued. “Do keep it carefully in your mindset, oh?” Sounded casual yet, she actually aimed what she had announced.

 

“...What? Why so sudden would you want to give me this? Having problems with yours?” In some ways, Minkyung doubted her.

 

“...Nope. It’s just...I’d say, it’s just at random.” Apparently, Haeri would not like to disclose the real why.

 

“Randomly?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Sure?” Minkyung asked over again.

 

A plain look on her face, Haeri answered. “I am.” Spontaneously.

 

Oh...okay. I’ll try to keep it then, that advice of yours.” Still confused, Minkyung did not broaden the stuff more. She had no desire to know either, warily.

 

Uhm...have you guys done rehearsed?”

 

“Will resume later on, actually. And unni, why bother to come? You’ve practised enough. Hence, you’ve been performing so well all this time.”

 

Beamed. “People say practice makes perfect. Then I better off practicing whenever I’m spared. Besides, Jinho has reminded me to. It shall be greater having rehearsals with you guys together. Don’t you think so?”

 

“Of course it’s really great practising together. Who wouldn’t say no?” Minkyung summed up. “Okay then. Start practice, unni. I’m going to check on Jong Wook-uppa. Have something to catch up with the soon to be performed songs.”

 

Ahh....I see. Go ahead.” Haeri permitted fast.

 

“And yeah, let’s get home together later. Okay?”

 

“Alright.”

-

-

-

Fingers steadily were dancing on piano’s buttons. A grand melody created. Haeri’s expression showed only pleasure. Calm and relaxed. As if she had become a person without obstacles or worries. Merely by playing the piano, she was able to have piece of serenity. Simply by having the piano voiced out, she was able to think of none other than peacefulness. Therefore, if anyone asked her, why piano? Why was she so obsessed with it? Boldly, she would answer : that instrument was sort of miracle in her life.

 

Minkyung folded the arms before her chest. Looked forward, silently staring at Haeri. Next to her Jong Wook, the partner. Both had just halted the singing practice, for the meantime.

 

“…We’ve been together performing as a random band at quiet many random occasions. And, during all those times, never have I seen Haeri having mistakes nor troubles with that damn piano.” Jong Wook gave away a thought – the honest one. “She plays really well. Why not enter a contest? Or join an orchestra at least?”

 

Minkyung responded. “Hmm…Can I say…it’s all about luck? If unni does have sort of luck, she must have become a successful pioneer by now. For sure, she has the talent, undeniable.”

 

Nodded.  “Truly true.” Jong Wook furthered. “Oh, someone’s coming in.” Referred to the person who suddenly just entered the studio through the entrance.

 

“…That’s Jinho uppa!”

 

With the latter approaching, Haeri instantly paused the excitement. Rested those fingers on her lap. “So you’re here now, thankfully.” Greeted.

 

Ruffled his own hair. Grinned. “…For being late, I’m sorry.” Jinho owned up. “How’s the practice anyway?”

 

“I’m doing well.”

 

“Very good. You wouldn’t be going to ruin our concert yet, would you?”

 

Chuckled, upon the joke. Haeri would have no heart to do so.

 

“Hello guys!” Waved amiably at Minkyung and Jong Wook, Jinho gave out his greetings and there, the two did the same back at him.

 

Afterwards, Haeri carried on.

 

Laid a hand on the compilation of sheet music at the left side of the piano, which belonged to her, Jinho took a look at Haeri. “Can I see these?”

 

“Yes, you can.” Still, seemed so all ears on the tune of melody she was pulling by the moment.

 

Flipped those sheets twice, Jinho then came up having noticed something. “…Noona, are these all you have?”

 

Again, being paused. “Dae.” Certainly. Those were even composed by herself. “Why?” Alert, Haeri sensed somewhat weird with that question.

 

“Actually, I thought I’ve seen this one piece before but today, I can’t see it of them. Might you have left it behind…?”

 

Eh? Did I?” Anxious. Right away went over the sheets, attempting to find the exact one that was meant by Jinho. Could be she really have abandoned it some places? From nowhere, her mind snapped. Haeri stuck. “It ca – ” Almost wordless in the end. “It can’t be…that piece?” Sounded she was whispering.

 

Saw Haeri’s sudden reaction, Jinho clicked. “Noona, you must’ve figured what piece I’m talking about, right?”

 

Ahh…” Hesitated to the max. “Y - yes. I – I must’ve left that one at home.” Stammered a bit. At the same time tried to make it an excuse, tried to make it sound true. Pretended nothing happened. Yet, inside Haeri, she already became flustered. About the piece, she had lied to Jinho.  

 

“Frankly, I like that piece. It has the feel that  move me. You’re such a brilliant, Haeri noona.” Beamed. Jinho eyed her. “Do please bring it with you next time. I want to hear you play it. Is that okay?”

 

“….B—but…”

 

“Yes..? …any trouble?”

 

“N—no!” Struggled to hide the uncomfortable feeling of her, Haeri ended up faking the fact. “It’s not that.” Lied. Frank to say, she did have trouble with that one.

 

“So, it’s not going to be a problem to you, right?”

 

“…D—dae…” Honestly, there was a problem. She concealed the realism.

 

“Settled. Keep practicing then.”

 

Deceived the smiley grin, Haeri distributed a reluctant nod. Ashamed of what she had cooked up with the piece’s story, she could not blame anyone but herself.

 

“Okay guys! Let’s rehearse!” Cried out at others while heading towards them, Jinho left Haeri alone at the corner.

 

Yaah Jinho-ssi, why were you late?” She still could hear those given out by Jong Wook. Nevertheless, quickly afterwards, she was not able to capture any voice behind her. Overwhelmed with bother, overtook by pretty much thoughts, the only one Haeri managed to think over – the piece which Jinho referred to was not with her anymore, she could guarantee. Not because she had left it at home or somewhere else. It just…that one would not be in her sheet collections, no longer. “That piece…ahheotteohga jo?” Murmured. Sighed and flustered.

 

 

 

♪     ♪     ♪     ♪     ♪

 

 

@ sakura - hey reader! thanks for subscribing.i'm very glad you spared some times reading this :D oww...there's still many things yet to be revealed, hope the confusion would indeed died out soon.stay tune!