Chapter 2 - 1|3

Amends of Heart

 

[Chapter 2] Part.1

 

Sipped a cup of tea, the individual then landed his eyes on the latter who had just taken seat oppositely. He spoke.

 

“Your line has always been engaged while I was trying to contact you lately. Are you that busy, Kim Kyung Rok-ssi?”

 

Reasoned. “For such convenience, it wasn’t on purpose. Please do not mind.”

Already had his order seconds ago, yet, he had not had the drink.

 

“Not even a big deal, actually. I know you’re a busy man.” Laughed a little, devoid of blabbing, he solely jumped into the main stuff he had wanted to converse with Kyung Rok.

 

“By the way, my idol group is in progress preparing for a comeback album, I’m offering you to participate.”

 

There it was – sounded like another artist manager requested from him, over again. Two previous days, he was also called by phone for this kind of reason and now it was Mr Song’s turn? All in all, he would know it right since the moment Lizzy informed him at the office this morning, about this man had been attempting to make contact with him.

 

“To be true, I’m fully responsible to an upcoming project. Thus, I’ll be occupied up until the next month, I suppose.” Disclosed a hint which would be obviously aware of, Kyung Rok was telling that he was not quite keen in the offer.

 

Eyy. You’re somewhat gifted musician. Whatever project wouldn’t harm your credibility even though you’re to have another one. Am I saying the truth?” In contrast, Mr Song voiced as if he would not surrender that easy. “Only one to two songs, it shall never be a big amount to you, right? It’s just as if you would merely take a day to finish. I believe it shan’t give you pressure.”

 

Stared recklessly into the former’s hopeful eyes, Kyung Rok deemed slyly.

‘Such a terrible appeal. How come you’d think it would be so damn simple to write a song? A day?  What a fool. Do you think I’m that genius?’

 

“Kim Kyung Rok-ssi, you are greatly hoped to contribute to this new album. Also, just so you know, this group is one of the most famed idol groups nowadays. Their news is everywhere to be found. You must’ve heard their latest ones, haven’t you? More, every time the members appear on tv shows, those shows often end up with high ratings. With these all stuff, don’t you think they’ll give you some more credits? Importantly, if they get to sing your song, they’ll surely make it a hit. And you, you’ll achieve gratitude for that.”

 

Mr Song chucked an optimistic gaze at Kyung Rok, craving for a good response. Nevertheless, he figured Kyung Rok on the other hand, was hooked on swallowing his latte’s drink so casually that on impulse gave him a bad feeling in return– likely, his offer was not pulled enough. Pretended letting out a glum sigh, he broadened.

 

“However, if you really can’t, then I’ve no choice but to find another composer.”

 

Done with the latte, Kyung Rok behaved heedless, instead. As if nothing could buy his attention at that time nor did he even care to Mr Song’s sentence.

-

-

-

Stepped out of the café, both guys faced one another. Probably, they had settled the issue.

 

“I’ll be waiting for your call. Will be looking forward to good news from you.”

Still hoped for Kyung Rok’s assurance on the bid he handed over, Mr Song did think of.

 

The meeting lasted there. Seeing the former walk away, Kyung Rok thought to do so. At once, his hand phone rang. Took a look at it, he detected a new number was calling him up – the one which was not in his contact’s list. Strangely, Kyung Rok responded as he recognized the number, as if he learned the suspected caller. Even so, he precisely tuned it out.

 

Turned back, he was most to make his way off the location when in time a group of graceful-like women appeared, headed to enter the same café. In a flash, he stuck himself abruptly, that was the minute his eyes stumbled upon another’s among the group – a woman with elegant blouse and a bit trailing skirt to toes, a white purse hanging on her right arm while another held a cell phone at her ear. She halted before him, expressed a surprised look.

 

In chorus, one of the women she came along with happened to sight this coincidence.

 

Let down her left hand and so, the woman pressed a button on the phone - seemed like she chose to not carry on with the calling she might have. “I was thinking to give you a second try call.” And that automatically revealed she was the one who had just rung him.

 

“Hyo Jin! Why are you standing still there? Come inside.” The second woman, a friend might be, shouted, at the doorway, interrupted.

 

“Take a seat first.” She replied. “I --- ”

 

Suddenly paused - noticed Kyung Rok was about to leave, so she drew closer and blocked him. “Kyung Rok-ah.” Looked up at that guy, she could see him averting the cold eyes of his from hers. She understood clearly he was not enthusiastic with her act.

 

“Hyo Jin!” That friend was static at the same spot.

 

“Would you spare me just for a while?” Demanded, she meant it.

 

“But --- ”

 

“I’ve something to talk to this old friend. Do enter first.”

 

“…..Hmm…okay then.” Simultaneously gave Kyung Rok a doubted glance, the friend set aside in conclusion.

 

“I’ve no time to play right now.” Said artfully, Kyung Rok blurted out the discontent of him.

 

“I wouldn’t either. Let’s have a talk inside. We haven’t been chatting for quite some times. I trust there are lots of things to share. Don’t we?” Articulated with soft yet spirited voice, visibly, Hyo Jin fought the urge. She did long for meeting up with Kyung Rok, having random chit-chat about their recent lives as they used to have, so frequently.

 

“Unfortunately, I don’t believe I have one.” Refused, Kyung Rok would not think twice when he said it.

 

A bit offended, Hyo Jin smiled gloomily. “Why does it have to be like this every time I tend to meet you? Why do you have to avoid me all along? Please. Get rid of the past already, Kyung Rok-ah. I can’t stand this way. It’s been hurting me.”

Later on, her smile faded away.

 

Sneered, Kyung Rok uttered afterwards. “I thought you had gotten the comprehensible answer for that. So, you haven’t?”

Scorned at the woman, he emphasized.

“You and I, were known to each other back then, I’ve to admit. But, now is no more. Get over the past? I have. Want me to prove you? That’s by keeping away from you – the person no longer I know.”

 

Suddenly feeling miserable, Hyo Jin sighed out some wretchedness.

“You were wounded for what I’ve done, I get it. You aren’t fully recovered from the pain, I understand. Yet, let me put the thing right. Just give me a chance.”

 

“…..Well, is everything going to be back as it was if I allow that sort of chance?”

 

Mute. Hyo Jin’s mouth was jammed.

 

“No. The answer would be undeniably a no.” Kyung Rok himself gave a clue. Plus, he considered she would agree with it as well.

 

Hyo Jin eyed down sorrowfully– nothing she could view there except her heart made a recurring crack.

 

Glanced at this, Kyung Rok would not prolong the blabbing, promptly he intended to depart then again, he stopped. “Ahh, almost forgot. You need to do this one thing.”

 

Looked back at him, Hyo Jin put unsure face. Out of blue, Kyung Rok asked her for something? That was weird enough.

 

“Discharge the maid you sent to my apartment as soon as possible.”

 

“…..” Still sounded upset, Hyo Jin questioned. “Why?”

“You knew the reason I hired that maid. The case you fell unconscious beforehand, it has always worried me very much that --- ”

 

“That incident happened long ago. I’m doing fine. A silly maid isn’t necessary.”

 

She sensed something peculiar with the word ‘silly’ released from Kyung Rok’s. “…..Did the maid ---”

 

“I’ve been tolerating with you only on this matter. Hence, let’s end it in a proper way.”

 

Hesitantly, Hyo Jin mouthed nothing. She recapped some time back then.

While she was aiming to see Kyung Rok at his home, she instead found him passed out at the front door of his apartment due to over fatigue. Sending him to hospital right away after that– it explained how he owed her and this led why he had had to put up with her and the maid thing.

However, perhaps Kyung Rok could not endure it more.

 

“Tell me, is this about payment? I’ve told before let me take charge of it. Just let the maid keep going with the job, I’ll pay.”

Seemingly, Hyo Jin could not be able to be of the same mind as Kyung Rok.

She somewhat resisted.

 

A smirk rolled into his face.

“What, you’re becoming a special provider now? Oh yes, you’re married to a wealthy man, money shouldn’t be a problem, of course why wouldn’t you become one?”

 

“Kim Kyung Rok!”

 

“Mrs Kim Hyo Jin-sshi!”

 

A pair of despised eyes versus another pair with aloof-cold eyes.

 

“To let your memory retrieve of who I am, I’m not that low. You insisted sending in a maid, I’ve had to bear it in return for your deed. The payment isn’t the cause at all. I’m indebted to you, then I’m the one who should repay. You hired that maid, then I should pay her. Though, I’ve wanted to take this process with you to the end. So, this instant is the time to make it a full-stop.”

 

“…I wasn’t despising you. It’s --- ”

 

“Whatever. Fire the maid yourself. Or else, I’ll be glad to do the work. Up to you.”

 

Turned his back on Hyo Jin, Kyung Rok had concluded a final decision.

He would not have anything related to that woman anymore.

Rather unofficially, he terminated the deal.

 

Burdened with huge frustration, Hyo Jin merely poured out the load at herself.

‘It’s not that I was trying to look greater than you. Never in any way. I did all those because…because I care. I care for you.’

 

Spun around, watched Kyung Rok’s rear until he disappeared, she could feel inside of her sobbing.

‘I’d love to take care of you as much as you always did for me. Everything would not be the same now on, I wouldn’t be able to take everything back to its old place either but what I’ve yearned for is – to get back the bond we once shared…. Kyung Rok-ah, is it still painful to have me back in your life?’

-

-

-

Fished out the LG-branded cell phone, it later stated one message received.

Pressed the inbox button, the whole message could be read. At the very top of it displayed the sender’s name - Jinho.

Noona, don’t forget. We’ve rehearsal tonight. Don’t be late.’

Quickly, Haeri shaped a brief smile.

 

Stepped into a restaurant, she then was addressed consequently by a male wearing uniform worker. He had his name tag along, marked as assistant chief. Haeri handed over some dark plastic bags and the male worker pleasantly collected them.

 

“Thank goodness I still have your phone number.”

Directly, gave away his grateful sentiment, he spoke further.

“Suddenly we’ve extra customers today and it’s too rare though, that we’re getting out of fresh stocks.”

 

Ahh.” Nodded her head twice, Haeri grasped the motive that unexpectedly she had just been phoned by this guy worker half an hour ago. In fact, as they shared the same neighborhood, that was how they could cope well with each other.

“Anyways, be sure to buy again from our market next time. I’ll give you good prices.”

 

Chuckled. “Sure. I’m glad you got to help having them delivered.”

 

“No problem. It’s not that far to arrive here. I’m leaving. Let’s meet another time. Ahnyong.” Waved, Haeri stepped away, paced towards the exit.

 

“Send your mom my greeting!” Shouted from the rear, he made certain his voice could be heard.

 

“Got it!” Answered, a brisk beam formed at the same time her hands waving goodbye once again before she walked out.

-

-

-

The clock wall had shown its needle at 2 at noon. From nowhere, the opened-door of the owner’s room was knocked. Kyung Rok shifted his sight forward. It was Yong Jun, the employee who shared working with him under the same section at that entertainment agency. More detailed, they two had been being acquaintance with one another since entered the company.

 

“Here it is.”

Handed a file forward, Yong Jun then headed for a couch closer to a television, instead of sitting on opposite chair to Kyung Rok.

“I didn’t see you around this morning. Where were you up to?”

 

Kyung Rok had not replied as he narrowly caught that guy’s query – led Yong Jun having his eyes altered, at the unspeaking self. Became aware of this, Kyung Rok took a glimpse of the questionable look from the latter. He spotted Yong Jun was stressing an answer.

“Some place.” Finally.

 

“What kind of place?” Somehow, he was curious.

 

“You wouldn’t know.”

 

Eissh.” Muttered.

Yong Jun actually had used to that kind of habit of Kyung Rok – he would not like people to dig up his matters more and more.

What a cold-mystery guy – Yong Jun always thought of Kyung Rok with that.

 

Switched on the tv, he announced on impulse. “Latest news, M Empire will be hosting a piano’s showcase some times in the future. Have you heard of it?”

 

“No.” Very short.

Kyung Rok in some way more focused on examining the file Yong Jun delivered earlier.

 

“No?”

Yong Jun puzzled.

Ahh…guess it shall be officially pronounced after the upcoming board meeting.”

Seconds afterward, somewhat sneaked into him, immediately he twisted top of his body around, watching Kyung Rok impatiently.

Hey, want to hang out tonight? I’ve arranged for guys-girls meeting. Or, suppose I say…..sort of blind date? Would like to join?”

His expression grew to be pretty excited while talking about girl’s affair – so habitual of him, in reality.

 

“No.” Again, a negative one from Kyung Rok. In addition, he emitted it out so spontaneously.

 

“Certain? I’ve never seen you going out with some girls. Not even once. Why won’t you just come and meet some?”

 

On the other hand, Kyung Rok did not even pay him any regard.

 

“I guarantee you they’re all pretty girls, nice bodies and definitely, they have good brains.” What a remark.

 

Not even exerted a pull on assured compliment by Yong Jun, Kyung Rok was more into his progressed job.

 

Distorted. Yong Jun released his outlook.

“You’re weird. Don’t you have any interest in meeting beautiful and y girls out there? I’m telling you that’s greatly weird of you, as a guy.”

His mind clicked upright.

Ah, how’s that if you just tell what kind of girl you like. I’ll help you to find one.” Thrilled to suggest, Yong Jun indeed implied his intention.

 

Halted from his doing, Kyung Rok perceived the position where Yong Jun was having his seat.

“First of all, I’ve no any heart to involve with any girl. Second, you’re so much yearning for some. Go ahead.”

 

Could suspect Kyung Rok was voicing fairly serious, Yong Jun uttered.

 

“Telling you the truth, I do love meeting pretty girls. It’s fun by the way. Flirting with them is another case. In short, man always has needs, part of them - woman. You…..actually, you…to be honest, women - what do you think of them?”

 

One second.

 

Kyung Rok’s sighted to a side. Whilst, Yong Jun looked forward to his companion’s comeback with mouth justly shut.

 

Five seconds.

 

Only silence.

 

Seven seconds.

 

“……betrayer.”

 

That was when his sight altered back to Yong Jun.

 

 

♪     ♪     ♪     ♪     ♪     ♪