First Date Jitters

My Best Friend's Soulmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was an interesting sight to see a couple on a date with their menus pulled completely up over their faces. The two had only somehow just become aware of the fact that they seriously knew nothing about “Eunji” and “Minhyuk”. Realistically, Ilhoon had only learned about a day and a half ago that he was going to have to impersonate his best friend, while Bomi hadn’t thought ahead enough to realize that her crippling social anxiety (on dates) would not even permit her to be able to converse about these “safe topics” that Eunji had coached her on.

 

The fact that they had to be afraid of misstepping and mentioning something that Eunji or Minhyuk hadn’t informed each other in their letters was something that hung heavily over each of their heads. I mean really... there were only so many times that they could talk about how sunny the weather was in Seoul…

 

Bomi silently cursed Eunji’s lack of planning since the awkwardness was slowly seeping back into their date. (and in a café across town, Eunji sneezed twice and could only ask herself, ‘Hmm… I wonder who’s thinking about me...’)

 

Ilhoon, on the other hand, thought hard of a way to fix this dilemma… It was only after the seventh time that he had scanned the appetizer section (by god, he had that thing memorized by now…) that he came up with a hopefully fool-proof plan.

 

“HEY! I have an idea…” Ilhoon slammed his menu down and motioned for Bomi to come closer.

 

“Hmm o.o??” Bomi brought her menu down as well, and leaned over to hear him better. “Did you decide on the potstickers for an appetizer after all??”

 

He chuckled in response to her innocent question.

 

"No… I mean, yeah, we can get that! But no uhh…”

 

'I hope I don't offend her by saying this…’

 

“So you know how this date’s been a tiny bit awkward?” He directed his eyes toward the menu on the table, wishing and hoping that the girl in front of him wouldn’t take this as an insult towards her own dating skills. He was delightfully surprised, however, to only hear Bomi’s giggling.

 

Ilhoon’s face shot up as he came upon the sight of his date covering and laughing brightly.

 

"It... really... is, isn't it?" Bomi said between her peals of laughter. It was somehow incredibly funny to hear him say exactly what it was that she had been wanting to say throughout the entirety of their date thus far.

 

And as Ilhoon watched her, it took everything he had not to voice the fact that she was unbelievably beautiful while she was laughing so contagiously.

 

‘Ahh Ilhoon, stop it right there!’ He reined in his own thoughts. ‘Okay… now back to the issue at hand…’

 

“Well… why don’t we only tell each other things that we never told each other in the letters?” He played with the corner of the menu, hoping it wouldn’t sound too suspicious. “I mean… it could almost be like we’re starting over?”

 

Okay… it was official, this man was unknowingly being Bomi’s savior, and making things so much easier for her. The first thought that came to her after his proposition was, ‘Christ… he seriously has to be a mind-reader.’

 

Unbeknownst to Bomi though, Ilhoon’s proposition came about so that it could cater to him and him only. They could avoid the fact that he wasn’t in on any jokes that the two may have had – or worse, any important information that was shared prior… and if there was a mistake made… well, Minhyuk was just going to have to deal with it since he’s the one that roped Ilhoon into this mess of a situation.

 

“Yes, that would be perfect!!” the girl responded enthusiastically, too happy at her good fortune in that moment. She realized her own suspicious and over-excited behavior and immediately tried to summon a cool and collected Bomi. “I mean, then we could get to know each even better... right?”

 

‘And by that, I mean at all…’ she mentally added.

 

This time, their hearts were a little lighter as they picked their forgotten menus back up and they both vowed to at least learn something about their “best friend’s soulmate”.

 

 

“Two more hours, Eunji-ah!” Hyuna teased as she stealthily pointed to the “hot guy” that was still flipping through the same exact magazine… and still had not ordered another drink.

 

“Arasso, arasso… get back to work…” Eunji rolled her eyes and scolded her friend, picking up her tray to go take the orders of a few high school kids who had just sat down.

 

Her friend could only smirk as she went back to scrubbing the mug in her hand.

 

 

“Ahh ahjumma, Kamsamnida!! Everything looks so good!” Bomi was positively starving, and her eyes went wide as saucers at all of the food that was being brought out. Ilhoon was equally amused by the food and Bomi’s polite manner.

 

“No problem!! I even threw in a seafood pancake for you lovebirds ^.^ First date, I’m assuming?” the old lady smiled knowingly at the two (who were now sporting bright red blushes, might I add…), while setting each of the dishes down.

 

They almost blurted out that it wasn’t a first date… and that they weren’t exactly your typical lovebirds… until they realized that yeah… for all purposes, they were supposed to be on a first date and they were supposed to be typical lovebirds.

 

“Actually, yeah it is…” Ilhoon rubbed the back of his neck nervously and replied. “How did you know?”

 

There was only one thought running through their minds at this point…

 

'Do we really look that uncomfortable together??'

 

“Ahhh hehe… this ahjumma’s been around the block in her years, you know. I wasn’t always this old!” She smirked and winked at the couple, who all of a sudden were too engrossed in their hands to even spare a glance at each other. The couple in question couldn’t exactly deny it without somewhat blowing their own covers.

 

“Ohh… Young love…” the old lady dreamily sighed as she began to walk away. “Well! Don’t let me disturb you, let me know if you need anything!”

“W-w-will do!” Bomi called out after her before she disappeared into the kitchen.

 

While they were still focusing on anything in the restaurant aside from each other, Bomi had her first surge of courage. She was going to gloss over the pure embarrassment of this situation as smoothly as she could, a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter