A Single Twin Brother

My Best Friend's Soulmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

​A/N: One swear word in this chapter, apologies!

 

 

“Yeah it’s me!!! Who else would it be?!” Minhyuk shouted in response. He didn’t exactly expect to come home to his humble abode and more or less almost be attacked by his bestfriend/roommate.

 

“What… what are you doing??” If possible, Ilhoon was even more confused… He could’ve sworn that his best friend wasn’t supposed to come home tonight…

 

“What am I doing?” Minhyuk replied in disbelief. “I should be asking you that… What are you doing with that... that thing…?”

 

“I’m defending myself from the MASS MURDERER that I THOUGHT you were!!” Ilhoon shook the knife he was holding. The mass murderer in question narrowed his eyes at Ilhoon’s choice of weapon.

 

“……… So what were you gonna do?” he epically failed at stifling his own laughter. “Bludgeon me with your ice-cream scoop?? Oh god… I’m sooo scared…”

 

Alright, Ilhoon was officially boiling mad. People were usually much more scared when you waved a knife at them (or at least he imagined they were, since he didn’t actually go around waving knives at people…). He followed the direction of his best friend’s gaze to see just what could be so funny… only to see that the one source of his protection lay in… a lone little ice cream scoop… an exceedingly frustrated Ilhoon dragged a hand down his face.

 

“I THOUGHT I GRABBED A KNIFE, OKAY?!” he shouted as he dropped the scoop with a loud clatter. “ANYWAYS, THAT’S BESIDE THE POINT!! What are you even doing here?!”

 

“Ohh uhh… my parents weren’t home, so I decided to come back.” Minhyuk responded shakily, unconsciously scratching his neck.

 

“Wait… did you just…?” Ilhoon replayed the image in his mind... For the years that Ilhoon had known Minhyuk, he knew that his best friend had one specific tell for when he lied, so he just had to ask… “Did you just… scratch your neck?”

 

‘Crap.’

 

Immediately, Minhyuk’s scratching culprit of a hand flew down to his side. He inwardly cursed at his habits and the fact that his best friend just was so damn observant… although to be fair, he was being careless. He looked up to see that his best friend was shooting him an accusatory glare.

 

…And so… he did the only thing he could think of… which, of course, was to deny, deny, deny.

 

“NO!! IT WAS A SPASM!!”

 

Ilhoon wasn’t stupid… You don’t exactly get to be best friends with someone for nearly your whole life without finding some of their quirks… and this… this was certainly one of them.

 

“YAA!!!” Ilhoon pointed angrily at him. “YOU SCRATCHED, YOU NECK-SCRATCHER!!! I SAW YOU WITH MY OWN TWO EYES SO WHAT ARE YOU LYING ABOUT?!”

 

 “ANI!” Minhyuk stood straighter and started to ramble. “I TOOK THE TRAIN AND I WENT THERE AND THEN MY PARENTS CALLED AND THEN… AND THEN……… OKAY, OKAY… I lied!”

 

To tell you the truth, he had never been very good at lying… Minhyuk looked down, afraid to face the boy in front of him. The cogs turned in Ilhoon’s head as he tried to figure out why his own best friend would lie to him about this. No matter how he turned it though, Ilhoon could not (for the life of him!) come up with anything that made sense.

 

I mean, Minhyuk wasn’t exactly a stranger to dating… He had gone on plenty of first dates. So what if he’s never actually had a girlfriend? The point is that girls absolutely adored Minhyuk since he was just so freakin’ charming and flirty. Ilhoon’s dating skills compared to Minhyuk’s were practically polar-opposites… And wait a second… if he had lied about going to his parents, then what else did he lie about...?

 

“…She’s… not even going to Europe, is she…?” Ilhoon asked quietly, still trying to grasp the situation.

 

His face dropped even further as he watched Minhyuk slowly shake his head in response. Minhyuk finally lifted his head to look at Ilhoon, fully expecting his best friend to be completely furious with him. To his dismay, the only expression on Ilhoon’s face was pure and unadulterated disappointment. Guilt hit him like a ton of bricks as Ilhoon walked past him into his room, not sparing even one more glance towards Minhyuk before shutting the door.

 

“Aish.” He muttered as he leaned his forehead on the wall next to Ilhoon’s closed door. “…Way to screw up, …”

 

 

“Gomawo, Bomi-ah…” Leaning against her doorway, Eunji smiled gratefully. “Chincha, gomawo.”

 

The girls had spent the rest of the night finishing up their budae jjigae (paired with a few bottles of soju…) while putting on a chick-flick that they’d seen hundreds of times. Eunji was feeling a lot better, since there was nothing that her best friend’s presence, Clue-less, and a little bit of soju couldn’t cure (at least for the moment). Thankfully, they were able to refrain from talking about Minhyuk by diverting their attention to a young and hot Paul Rudd (and let me tell you, the distraction was thoroughly needed).

 

“Ahh, it was nothing!” a slightly tipsy Bomi answered in return. “I mean, look at who you’re talking to… OF COURSE, the date went fantastic in MY hands…”

 

Eunji smirked at her NOW-confident best friend. She never really could handle her liquor compared to Eunji. Heck… Eunji figured she should’ve just given her some liquid courage this morning so that she wasn’t freaking out like crazy. Bomi’s current demeanor was causing Eunji to majorly consider spiking her friend’s OJ before she went on the next date…

 

“Yup… No boy could ever not fall for our goddess Bomi…” she laughed as she observed her tired friend fumbling with the doorknob. “Don’t stay up too late, okay?”

 

“Okieeee!” Bomi curved her arms above her head to form a heart for her best friend. “Goodniiiight! I LOVE YOUUUU!”

 

She caught Eunji’s smaller finger hearts before waving and closing the door behind her. It had been a long (long, long) day and all she wanted to do was climb into bed and knock out. She was sure that the moment she got underneath her warm and fuzzy comforter that she would be out like a light… and this was on top of the fact that she was just somewhat buzzed. Bomi stumbled towards her bed ready hit dreamland when—

 

“OWWW!” she stubbed her toe, accidentally kicking whatever objects toward her wooden dresser and making a resounding “thunk”. Now that totally killed her buzz…

 

“That’s what happens when you leave your room a pigsty, Bomi-ya!” she chided herself and reached down to grab the shopping bag that harmed her poor toe. Hmm… the furniture store’s logo that emblazoned the plastic bag wasn’t somewhere that Bomi had visited in at least the past few months… It was very possible that in the chaos that was this morning, she could’ve very well retrieved something out of the abyss that was the back of her closet…

 

Bomi reached into the bag to pull out one of the heavy objects and carefully unwrapped the brown packing paper. Underneath was a mug that was adorned with teeny Angry Bird characters. Okay… she was positive now that this was not something she recognized in the least bit. That didn’t mean that she didn’t want to keep it though, since she happened to have a soft spot for cartoon characters (particularly Angry Bird!).

 

“That’s weird… where did you come from?” she mumbled to herself, marveling at the cute mug.

 

I mean, she was tipsy… but she wasn’t that tipsy… It was at that moment that her mind flashed back to the mall incident. The bags that once held her outfit for the first date were sprawled in the same exact area… so maybe… she picked an extra bag up by mistake? That would mean that this mug was Minhyuk’s?

 

“Ahh…”

 

She ran her fingers across the cold porcelain, smiling as she recalled her polite and cheeky pseudo-date. If Bomi could fall for someone like that… someone that could put her at ease the way he did… well, she’d definitely be a happy camper… Eunji… she really was so incredibly lucky…

 

She set the mug down on her desk, not bothering to look at the rest of the contents of the bag since her legs were seriously threatening to give out on her. Turning off the light and pulling the covers back, Bomi laid in bed and proceeded to get her much-needed beauty sleep (since that’s what goddesses needed, right?). There was just one last thought on her mind before she finally drifted off to sleep…

 

‘I wonder if he has a single twin brother…’

 

 

Minhyuk figured that this situation could realistically only go one way… Ilhoon would undoubtedly forgive him. The real question was how much Minhyuk would have to grovel before Ilhoon forgave him. His best friend was not a petty person at all, but when you more or less force someone (who has never really dated before… and by use of the “best-friend-card”, no less) to go on a date for you… well… it really put Minhyuk in a precarious position.

 

He knocked on his best friend’s door to which he got no response. After running the apology through his head one more time, he mustered his courage and opened the door to find Ilhoon sitting at his desk and playing with his phone. Ilhoon, still upset over Minhyuk’s lack of honesty, made no acknowledgment of his roommate’s intrusion. Mi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter