Miss Maudie Has a Nephew

Of Ghosts and DIY

A month had passed and things had been fairly quiet. Seunghyun finally finished his home, and it was beautiful. It was bright and cheerful. The turret room in his bedroom had a small table and two chairs. There had been no more blue flames in the library, and the garden was full and vibrant. Seunghyun still left a rose for Mrs. Park every night, and even spoke to her a couple of times.

 

 

Heechul spent the night frequently. He would take tea in the turret room and would work in the library. Seunghyun rehabbed other homes and leave Heechul alone in his home. Heechul was working on a photo album of the house, along with historical notes. He didn't often smell lilacs, but he never ran into any problems.

 

 

Seunghyun enlarged the photograph of Mrs. Park, and hung it above the fireplace in the foyer. She looked lovely and proud, watching over her home.

 

 

 


It was a beautiful Sunday morning that was ruined by a visit from Jiyong and Seungri.

“Heechul's a ,” Seungri declared.

Seunghyun balled his fists. “You watch your mouth,” he growled.

“Seungri,” Jiyong said lowly, hand on his boyfriend's elbow.

“But he is,” Seungri insisted. “He's an at Blue Star Service!”

“I know,” Seunghyun replied. “That's how I met him.”

Seungri's mouth dropped open, but before he could retort the front door opened and Heechul walked in. “He has a key?!” Seungri shrieked.

“Hello to you too,” Heechul said, raising an eyebrow.

Seunghyun relaxed a little and leaned forward to give Heechul a kiss. “How's your day?”

“He's a !” Seungri shouted.

Seunghyun lunged for Seungri, but was blocked by Heechul. Seungri scurried behind Jiyong.

“Whoa, what have I been missing?” Heechul asked. He rubbed Seunghyun's back to try to calm him.

“Seungri keeps calling you a .”

“He's not exactly wrong. I used to sleep with men for money. What would you call it?”

Seunghyun rounded on Heechul. “He doesn't have to keep saying it as if you have no value!”

Heechul smiled warmly, and the fight bled from Seunghyun.

They were interrupted by Jiyong. “What do you mean, 'used to'?”

“I quit. I work at the historical society now. I allow Blue Star to use my photo to attract customers in exchange for a fee. It's been about a month now.”

“Why didn't you say anything?” Seunghyun asked.

Heechul shrugged. “I didn't know how permanent it would be. The ladies there loved how much I love history, and I was able to do some heavy lifting for them. I was also able to make some of their files electronic and easy to navigate. Bless them.” Heechul smiled fondly. “I came by today to tell you that a living has been entailed to the society, and that will enable them to keep me permanently.”

Seunghyun smiled. No one else would be touching Heechul.

 

 

“But do they know your history?” Seungri asked savagely.

“As a matter of fact, they do,” Heechul replied serenely. “I confided that I was afraid I wouldn't be worthy of Seunghyun.”

Seunghyun scoffed at the very notion.

“- and while they think Seunghyun is handsome and charming, and they love that he's keeping as many historical details as he can in the homes he rehabs, Miss Maudie says she has an eligible nephew if Seunghyun can't appreciate me.”

“Like hell,” Seunghyun growled, pulling Heechul into a deep kiss. Heechul's fingers slid into Seunghyun's hair, and Seunghyun pressed Heechul into the stairs. The scent of lilacs overwhelmed them, and something soft landed first on Seunghyun's cheek, then on his arm. Pulling back, he saw pink rose petals in Heechul's hair, and pooling at their feet. Seunghyun grinned. “I see Mrs. Park approves.” Turning, Seunghyun marched over to Jiyong and Seungri, and pushed them out of the front door, locking it behind them. Then he walked back over to Heechul.

“Can we have now?” Heechul teased, wiggling his eyebrows.

“Excuse us, Mrs. Park,” Seunghyun smiled. He scooped Heechul up into his arms, carried him up to the master bedroom, and shut the door.