Are You on That Again?

Of Ghosts and DIY

Seunghyun had made great progress on the powder room. Because it was so small it took no time to finish. He placed a silver, antique tray on the back of the toilet, a small glass vase of daisies in the center. He had just hung up the mirror when he spotted Heechul's reflection.

 

“Hey gorgeous,” Seunghyun grinned. “When did you get here?”

 

When he got no response, Seunghyun turned, only to find Heechul gone. He stepped out of the room, frowning. “Heechul? Where did you go?”

 

He heard a noise down the hall, followed by footsteps. He slowly followed the sounds down the hall, into the dining room. Heechul stood in the middle of the room in a long, old-fashioned dress, hair pulled back. He smiled at Seunghyun before fading away.

 

 

 

Seunghyun's heart clenched painfully. “What the ?” he whispered. Suddenly, a knocking at the front door burst through the stillness. Seunghyun swallowed thickly and backed out of the dining room. With sluggish steps he turned back down the hallway into the foyer. With shaking hands, Seunghyun unlocked the door and opened it. Heechul stood there- well, a second Heechul- in a red hoodie and jeans, hair down and backpack strapped to his back. Seunghyun held his breath and waited for Heechul to disappear. When he didn't, Seunghyun reached out and nudged him. Heechul just raised an eyebrow. Seunghyun kept poking, but when he poked Heechul's cheek, Heechul turned his head and nipped Seunghyun's finger.

 

“Ow! !”

 

“Well that the hell were you poking me for?”

 

“Why didn't you say anything?”

 

“I was trying to gauge what I walking into,” Heechul replied, walking into the house. “Last time you seemed pleased to see me. Today is different so I thought I'd wait and see.” Heechul headed into the living room, shrugging off his backpack and hoodie.

 

“You look like Little Red Riding Hood,” Seunghyun commented, sitting next to Heechul on the couch.

 

“Does that make you the Big Bad Wolf?” Heechul teased, pulling out a notebook.

 

 

 

“I am happy to see you,” Seunghyun murmured.

 

“Did something happen?”

 

Seunghyun took Heechul's hand in his. “When I was hanging the mirror in the powder room, I thought I saw you,” he said softly. “I followed you to the dining room where you disappeared. Before knocking on my front door.”

 

“Believe it or not, I may have something that can help.”

 

Seunghyun perked up. “What is it?”

 

“Information,” Heechul beamed. “I visited to the local historical society to do some digging around. The little ladies who work there were so sweet! They kept offering me tea and cookies.”

 

“It's because you're so cute.”

 

“Well, that's true. But I also think it's because I'm the youngest person they've ever seen in there.” He handed Seunghyun a photocopy inside of a sheet protector.

 

Seunghyun stared. It was the vision he'd seen just before Heechul arrived. The woman in the photograph smirked at Seunghyun but had kindness in her eyes. “Who is this?”

 

“Mrs. Park Shin Hye. The original owner of this house. It was wedding present from her husband's parents. She moved in at the tender age of twenty one and lived here for sixty five years.”

 

“She looks so much like you. Are you related?”

 

“I don't know. I don't know much about my family's history. My parents are pretty useless in that area. All areas, really.”

 

“So you could be related.”

 

“I look like Miyavi but I'm not related to him.”

 

“Hmm.” Seunghyun looked back down at the photograph. “If she lived here for so long, it may explain why she's making her presence known. Maybe she wants to see what I'm doing to her beloved home.”

 

“It's possible.”

 

 

 

“But then... where did that pentagram come from?”

 

Heechul shook his head. “I haven't gotten that far in my research yet. But I talked to Siwon and he's willing to attempt an exorcism.”

 

“Who's Siwon? A client?”

 

“Yep,” Heechul stretched out on the couch, placing his feet in Seunghyun's lap. “He massages my feet.”

 

“Two hundred an hour to massage your feet?”

 

Heechul glared. “I'm a hot commodity, I'll have you know. Not everyone gets a piece of Prince Heenim.”

 

Everyone should be so lucky to be able to touch your feet,” Seunghyun offered.

 

“Exactly,” Heechul replied, before they both burst into laughter.

 

 

 

“Siwon's Christian conscience won't let him do anything else. I can't even get a kiss! So massaging my feet is the only way he can hear me moan.”

 

“I can't imagine not having your kisses. They're rather addicting.”

 

“I can think of something else that's addicting,” Heechul smirked, wiggling his eyebrows.

 

“Are you on that again?” Seunghyun tweaked Heechul's toes.

 

“Ow! er!”

 

Seunghyun laughed. “So when are we going to perform this exorcism?”

 

“I want to do some more research first. I want us to walk in with all of the information. I'll let you know.”

 

 

 

 

Heechul stayed for another hour, admiring the powder room and listening while Seunghyun explained the rest of his plans for the house. He gave a soft kiss before leaving, and Seunghyun couldn't help but grin at the butterflies that had taken root in his chest. He liked Heechul, but he was afraid that it was just business for Heechul, that if they had Heechul would be finished with him.

 

 

Even though he hadn't paid for a session with Heechul since the night at the hospital.

 

 

At least this way, if something did happen, Heechul would know that it was more than for Seunghyun.

 

 

 

As Seunghyun was eying the floral wallpaper on his way up to the second floor, he was struck with an idea. He backtracked down the stairs and walked towards the kitchen. He stepped out of the back door and onto the small deck. The smell of earth hit him and he knew a storm was coming. A cluster of roses was growing along the fence. Seunghyun plucked one- a pale pink freshly bloomed- before retracing his steps back inside, back to the foyer. He cleared his throat.

 

“Mrs. Park?” he began tentatively. “I don't know if you can hear me or even understand me. But I want you to know that I have the best intentions towards your home. It's my dream home and I only want to restore it to its former glory. With a few modern updates,” he rushed. Sighing, he gently set the rose on the newel post. “I hope we can live together peacefully.” With that, Seunghyun went up the stairs to his room, where he fell into a deep, restful sleep.

 

 

When he woke in the morning, the rose was nowhere to be found.