Whipped Cream?

Of Ghosts and DIY

Seunghyun grunted as he lifted the floor sander into the bed of his pickup. They were due for more rain and he hoped it would cool everything down. He had done some landscaping yesterday and was drenched in sweat by midmorning.

 

 

 

It had only been a week since he'd seen Heechul, but so much had happened that it seemed like longer. The little house had finally sold, but it would be a couple of weeks before Seunghyun would have the funds. In the meantime, he set up a crew to help him rebuild the foundation and finished the kitchen cabinets and the shelves in the library. He was putting off the powder room because he didn't know what kind of tile he wanted. Today's project would be sanding the hardwood floors of the guest bedrooms on the second floor.

 

 

 

The first two guest bedrooms were done in a couple of hours. He hated the wood in the first one, so he would buy some stain to cover it. The wood in the second bedroom was pristine, which pleased Seunghyun because that meant less work. He had just pulled up the rug in the third bedroom when his heart stopped. A pentagram was painted on the floor in red. Seunghyun tried to swallow but couldn't. He let the rug fall over the terrible symbol and felt a chill in the room. He stumbled backwards, out of the room before practically sprinting down the stairs. He wrenched open the front door and tumbled down the front steps. It was cloudy and warm and Seunghyun felt like he could breathe again. He fished his phone out of his pocket and dialed the number to Heechul's company, almost begging for the man's company for three hours.

 

 

 

There was a cool hand on the back of his neck and a teasing voice in his ear.

 

“Three hours?” Heechul purred. “I wonder how long you'll keep me once I actually get my hands on you.”

 

Seunghyun blushed as Heechul slid into the booth across from him. “Would you like some ice cream?”

 

“I'd rather have you,” Heechul answered silkily, his eyes crawling over Seunghyun, making him blush even more.

 

A teenage boy wearing a pink and blue apron and a paper hat came to their booth. “Ice cream, sir?” he asked Heechul.

 

“One scoop chocolate, one scoop vanilla, and,” he offered a sleazy grin, “a cherry.”

 

The boy blushed and nodded, speeding off to the counter.

 

Heechul giggled and turned towards Seunghyun. “You look good today. Do you own any other shirt besides tank tops?”

 

“Yes, but I know how much you love these so I wear them just for you.”

 

Heechul snorted, then perked up at the sight of his ice cream. “Whipped cream?” he raised an eyebrow.

 

The boy began to stutter. “I- I just-”

 

Heechul smiled warmly. “Thank you. I love the creamy white stuff.” He winked.

 

The boy positvely burned before bowing and scooting off.

 

Seunghyun chuckled, stealing Heechul's cherry.

 

Heechul his lips. “So... why did you call me out tonight? It couldn't be for my scintillating conversation, even if it is pretty fantastic.”

 

 

 

Seunghyun sighed. “I found something. In a guest bedroom on the second floor.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“I'd rather show you.”

 

“You know I'm always ready to go to your place.” Heechul stood. “You pay, I'll meet you outside.”

 

 

 

Back at the house, Seunghyun led Heechul upstairs.

 

“Please let it be your bedroom,” Heechul murmured teasingly.

 

Seunghyun turned to give him a dirty look but smiled instead, seeming to relax a little. He stood in front of the third bedroom and took a deep breath.

 

Heechul seemed to sense Seunghyun's hesitation, and linked their fingers. He squeezed reassuringly, smiling when Seunghyun squeezed back. Taking a deep breath, Seunghyun walked in. He lifted the rug back, then watched for Heechul's reaction.

 

Heechul tilted his head and stared, but didn't speak.

 

“I need an exorcist,” Seunghyun said. “Right?”

 

“I wouldn't know. I'm an atheist,” Heechul shrugged. “But if you're that concerned about it, I have a client who's a strict Christian. I'll ask him.”

 

Seunghyun nodded, and threw the rug back down once more.

 

“In the meantime, I recommend ripping the floor out and putting in a new one.”

 

Seunghyun winced. “That's an extra expenditure I hadn't planned for.”

 

“Better than keeping that symbol here. It is some bad juju- I don't think buffing it out will work.”

 

“I thought you were an atheist.”

 

“I don't believe in God, but I do believe in evil. There doesn't need to be an invisible judgmental old man in the sky for people to do awful things to each other,” Heechul replied. “I believe we're all made of energy, and that it all has to go somewhere when we die.”

 

“We don't know someone died here,” Seunghyun pointed out.

 

“We don't know someone didn't,” Heechul shot back. “How much do you even know about this place anyway?”

 

Seunghyun could only shrug.

 

 

 

Suddenly there was a skittering across the floor, as if something with claws ran right past them. Seunghyun and Heechul looked at their feet, eyes scanning the floor around the room, but seeing nothing.

 

Seunghyun opened his mouth to speak, but there was another skittering noise. This one sounded like it came from inside the wall near the closet.

 

“Mice,” Heechul stated, although he didn't sound convinced.

 

Seunghyun nodded. “I'll just set some traps, then.”

 

The skittering was louder now, almost heavier.

 

 

 

“Let's go,” Heechul said.

 

“Yeah, I want to show you the powder room on the first floor,” Seunghyun replied, guiding Heechul out of the room. “I want your opinion on it.”

 

“Great idea,” Heechul answered. “I have excellent taste.” He followed Seunghyun down to the first floor and into a small, unfinished room.

 

“Think so?”

 

“I'm here, aren't I?”

 

Seunghyun flipped on the light. The room was small, and Heechul took in the brand new toilet and vanity sink.

 

“Purple, dark,” he said. “Powder rooms are supposed to be glamorous. And the floor should be a light color. Remember: glamor, not drug bathroom.”

 

Seunghyun eyed the room as if trying to see Heechul's vision for himself.

 

“Antique mirror, too.”

 

“Of course.”

 

Heechul grinned. “Can we have now?”

 

“What?”

 

“As a reward for designing your powder room.”

 

Seunghyun rolled his eyes. “Don't you ever think of anything besides ?”

 

“Not when you're around.” Heechul waggled his eyebrows and grinned.

 

“How about we go finish that bottle of wine from last week?”

 

“As if it could possibly compare,” Heechul grumbled.