CHEN

EXODUS

ALMATY 20:00

Blaring shouts of "MOVE OUT!" cry from firetrucks as they race through the city. I shake my head in disappointment and sigh. I grip my book in my hands and walked on.

I silently creep up the stairs and into the empty tower. Maybe I'll find some peace here. The empty hallways give a very relaxing vibe more than a creepy one.

I stroll out onto the roof and walking through drying bed sheets hanging by small wooden clips. The wind picked up and blew the sheets up in the air making room for me to pass with ease. They fell back down with a thwack behind me as if they were trying to catch me and failing miserably. The clock tower rings in the distance filling the noisy setting.

I continued marching through the corridor towards the end of tower. Books laid strewn around the benches as if someone was interrupted in their work and ran out. The wind blew the book covers open and flipping them to random pages. I carefully shut them close and sat down on the nearby bench. The bell clock tower continued to ring on and on. Ringing softly in my ears.

I'm tired of running. Can I please just have some peace and quiet?

I flipped open my book, Overdose, as the books surrounding me flipped back open on its own. A sudden dark shadow creeped across my face.

I stood up, my book slipping from my lap in the process and looked up towards the sky in between the pillars.

A solar eclipse.           

There was a moment of silence, but the only thing I can hear is my heart beating faster and louder or was it the clock tower?

Why must I keep running? From what?

I grew angry. Thunder and Lightning raged lighting the evening sky.

I sat down with a satisfying smile.

You won't find me now.

I'm tired of running.

I'll find the others later.