CHANYEOL

EXODUS

ARIZONA 17:11

I lift my hat off my face and opened my eyes to the clear, blue sky above me. I sat up to find myself in the middle of a dessert. I couldn’t remember exactly how I got here, but I just felt so tired and I was suddenly in a world of darkness.

I checked out my new surroundings and noticed all vegetation with their lives right out of them. They drooped down towards the tan soil with sadness and covered in a layer of dry dust as they hoped for the rain to come again.

I took out my pocket watch and checked the time. Of course, broken as usual, I thought as I watched the hour hand swing back and forth frantically.

How long was asleep for? Am I even the right place? There are so many questions, but no one to answer to them.

I climbed up to my feet and looked up towards the sky. The sun shined brightly down onto my face. It was so warming and so relaxing that I feel like laying back down and falling asleep again, but I must make a move now and fast. I gripped my hat in my hands as I began my trek on through the dry dessert.

I squeezed my fists as a sudden pain within me hit and something was telling me that I needed fresh air. Surprisingly, not for water, which is a desperate need in some countries and yet, I desire for fresh air? Makes no sense at all, but I feel as if I just lost all energy, although I've been asleep for who knows how long, and the need oxygen was to regain power.

I realized I wasn't walking on flat terrain anymore and that I was walking up a hill. My pace quickened to reach the top, there was a stone building. I paced around admiring the beauty of its ruins as I ran my hand across the rough stone. I grasp the jagged edges and lift myself up on top of the broken wall in hopes to smell fresh air in the higher altitude.

Yet, it was still hot and dry.

My shoulders drooped down like the plants and I continued trudging on to wherever my feet took me.

I Pray my next stop would be fresh air. My breaths became shallow as the hot, sticky air stuck to the insides of my lungs and my energy was disintegrating as time slowly ticked by.

A cold breeze seeped in through my thick sweater and trench coat, although, sweat tricked down my forehead under my bangs. I wrap my coat closer to my body and shivered out the cold air. Where did the cold air come from? This meant night was approaching.

I hung my head low for what seemed like hours. Everything was silent, except, the sounds of my heavy wheezes.

*SNAP* I snap my head back, looking over to my left then to the right. In panic, I called out, "who's there?"

I slowly lifted my chin up towards the sky to see... trees? Trees, big Evergreen trees.

A cloud of mysterious fog began to surround me, but I knew what it was. I knew what it came for.

I stood in the small clearing letting the fog engulf me taking me in its hold.

This is it.

This is the fresh air I wish for.

I felt a strange tingling sensation in my hand. Almost like a burning sensation. I open my hand and a small ball of flames flared up. Oddly, a smile spread across my face. The familiar feeling buzzing within me like butterflies in my stomach.

Soon enough, fire blazed all around me and I stood in the middle of what I was made for. The flames raged as they climb higher and higher up into the leaves. Blackening and charring everything that got in its way. The satisfying cracking of bark and gray smoke filled the air around me.

Heat energy and fresh oxygen is what I desire the most.

Fire is what I live for.