Chapter 6

Golden Time

Minjoon and his new friend Minjae started to hang out more often. The students actually call them "Min couple" because they're always together like a real couple. Minjae, the tall boy, always shrugged or laughed it off like it's the most hilarious thing in the world but for

Minjoon, it's not. Every time the students call them Min couple, his face will turn red and his little heart will beat so fast he's afraid that he'll have a heart attack. And it got really worst when Minjae always always always stick in his side.

 

"Somethings off to you today. Are you okay?" Minjae asked with a worried look in his face.

 

Minjoon shook his head. "I'm okay. Why wouldn't I be?" He stood up and gathered all his things. "Umm, I need to go."

 

Minjae's brows furrowed in confusion. "Why? The class is about to start. Are you sick? Do you want me to bring you to the infirmary?"

 

"I..umm...I'm not feeling well. You don't have to accompany me, I'll just go home."

 

He was about to leave when Minjae gripped his hand. He slowly turned his head amd their eyes met. The moment their eyes connects, he can't look away.

 

"You're lying, Minjoon," said the giant boy. "Do you have a problem with me? Do you perhaps hate me?"

 

Mnjoon's eyes widen. "N-No! I will never hate you." It's the other way around. He wants to add but he bit his tongue to stop hisself. If he let that words slip, their friendship will be over, just like what he feared the most.

 

"Then what is the problem? You can tell me. There's no need to hold back." Minjae intertwined their hands just like how they are to each other--so close and never wants to move apart.

 

That moment, as Minjoon looked at Minjae's pretty eyes, he has fallen so hard.

 

"What are you doing?"

 

Baekhyun yelped and jumped from his seat when a warm breath fanned his cheek. Not only that, a deep familiar voice just caused him a mini heart attack. He immediately shut his laptop down before the annoying giant finds out what he's doing.

 

He bit the inside of his cheek. "N-Nothing. I'm just working on my report for one of my subjects." he reasoned.

 

Chanyeol sat beside him. "Can I help you?" he smirked. "I'm good at doing reports."

 

"Oh, yeah? That's why you failed one of your English subjects because you didn't finish your report."

 

Chanyeol pouted his lips. He propped his elbow and looked at the latter. "How did you know that?" And a ghostly smile appeared in his lips. "So you're stalking me now?"

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. "Mrs. Lyn talked about it in class. Like how you failed your subject just because of a report."

 

"She did?!" Chanyeol asked, perplexed.

 

Baekhyun laughed. Him and Chanyeol are friends now. The giant is annoying most of the time but he always makes the shorter male laugh. They're always together after class, talking and laughing in the library.

 

"You know, Midget, why don't you come at our house?" Chanyeol asked without looking at him. He's busy flipping the pages in his book with mild interest.

 

"You know, Giant, I can't because I'm scared to meet new people." He smirked when he saw the giant's frowning face.

 

"Then you're scared of me?"

 

Baekhyun looked up and their eyes met. It's true that he's scared when they began to hangout but there's a warm feeling in his chest when he's with Chanyeol. He used to be gloomy and silent but when he's with the giant male, he found hisself smiling and talking a lot that he didn't use to.

 

Baekhyun shook his head as an answer to the latter's question.

 

"Fine, I'll go with you."

 

Chanyeol's smile is priceless. He looked so happy when Baekhyun agreed.

 

"Then let's go!" He held Baekhyun's hand. "You'll love my family!"

 

Baekhyun chuckles as he let Chanyeol pulled him away from the library. He didn't have the chance to arrange his things. As he watched Chanyeol grinning from ear to ear, nothing else matters. He's starting to get anxious because of his feelings. This is all new to him. But in the end, he lets hisself like a river, flowing freely in every situation.

After minutes of laughing and talking at the car while heading to Chanyeol’s house, they arrived. Baekhyun started to get nervous again. Even though Chanyeol kept reassuring him that his family is kind and lovable, he still feels anxious. Yeah, he might like Chanyeol’s family but he can’t assure hisself that Chanyeol’s family will like him.

 

Chanyeol held his hand and squeezed it. Baekhyun’s heart clenched as if it was what Chanyeol was squeezing.

 

“A-Are you really sure you want me to go…in there?” he hesitantly asked.

 

The giant grinned, showing his complete set of white teeth. “Of course! You don’t need to be nervous because they won’t bite you,” He laughed when the small male hit him. “Seriously, Midget, they’ll like you. I promise.”

 

Baekhyun didn’t protest. They started to walk towards the house. Chanyeol opened the front door and Baekhyun can’t help but to be amazed by the beauty of their house. He knows that Chanyeol is rich. His mother owns a restaurant and so is his father while his older sister works as a news anchor.

 

“Mom! I’m home!” Chanyeol called out.

 

Baekhyun followed him like a lost puppy while looking at every corners of the house. But his eyes stopped at the big portrait hanging on the wall. It’s a family portrait. Chanyeol’s Mom and Dad was sitting on the couch while Chanyeol and his sister at the back. They all looked happy. He felt a pain in his chest. He can’t help but to envy Chanyeol. He has a happy and complete family and he has none.

 

“I’m here, Yeol!” Baekhyun heard a cheerful voice coming from the kitchen.

 

Chanyeol turned to look at him. “Let’s go, Baek.”

 

They went together to the kitchen. They found Mrs. Park cooking for lunch. She turned around with a smile on her face and it became wider when she saw Baekhyun.

 

“Oh! Who’s this cute little fur ball?” she cooed.

 

Baekhyun smiled awkwardly. Did she just call me ‘cute little fur ball’?

 

Chanyeol snickered beside him. He had the urge to elbow the giant but he contemplated that he can’t do it now. Not now that he’s in front of Mrs. Park.

 

“Mom, this is Byun Baekhyun, my friend.” Chanyeol put his arms around the small male’s shoulders.

 

Baekhyun didn’t know why he flinched at the word ‘friend’. Is he expecting more from Chanyeol? Is he expecting that Chanyeol will introduce him as someone more than just a friend? He shook his head. It will never happen. They’re just friends.

 

“Oh! The one you’re always talk—”

 

“Mom!” Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol’s redden face as if embarrass about something. “Please, don’t.” He looked sideways at Baekhyun.

 

Mrs. Park clasped his hand. “I’m so happy to have you here, Baekhyun. By the way, you can call me Mom if you like.”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes widen. He waves his hand to say no. “O-Oh, no. I…I would like to call you Mrs. Park. M-Mom…is too…well…” He scratched the back of his neck. Calling Chanyeol’s mother as ‘Mom’ will be too awkward for him.

 

“Mrs. Park is too formal,” She pouted. “How about Auntie? You can call me that.”

 

He flashed a relieve smile. “That would be better.”

 

Baekhyun was surprised when Mrs. Park hugged him.

 

She looked at Chanyeol who’s just watching them from the side. “Why don’t you show your friend all throughout the house while lunch is not yet ready?”

 

Chanyeol nodded. “Where’s Dad? And Noona?”

 

“Oh, your Dad is at the supermarket to buy some stuffs for me and Yura is in her room, sleeping. She’s tired because of work. She didn’t get enough sleep last night.”

 

With another nod, Chanyeol walked out the kitchen together with Baekhyun.

 

In a very short time, he began to like Mrs. Park. She’s so kind and she’s giving out a peaceful aura. Her smile is contagious. And she really looks like Chanyeol, especially their eyes.

 

“How’s my Mom?” Chanyeol asked while they’re climbing up the stairs.

 

Baekhyun held the railings. “I like her. She’s so kind.”

 

The giant smiled. “I want to show you my room. I know you’ll like the stuffs I have there.”

 

At the far end of the second floor, there’s a white door with a rilakkuma sticker plastered on the center of the door with a word ‘Welcome’. He can’t help but to giggle because Chanyeol seems to like rilakkuma so much.

 

Chanyeol opened the door widely.

 

Baekhyun expected a messy room but he’s shocked to see how neat and clean Chanyeol’s room was. His things are on the tight places. The room really smells like him. Baekhyun’s heart began to pound. He’s inside Chanyeol’s room but he doesn’t know why his heart is acting crazy right now.

 

At the left side of the room, there’s a big flat screen TV on the wall while at the corner, near the window, his guitar and piano was placed.

 

He slowly walked towards the right side where a bookshelf was placed. It was full of manga and action figures from the anime One Piece. Chanyeol’s bed was covered with black duvet and his pillows were also covered with black but the real thing that catches his attention was the rilakkuma plushy in his bed. They’re so many of them with different sizes and color.

 

He picked one manga from the giant’s shelf. “Wow, you have the latest volume.” He started to flip the pages. He’s not just addicted in reading novels. He also loves to read manga. He doesn’t know that Chanyeol also likes this stuff.

 

“Yup! I’m always updated,” He put his hands in his pocket. “I really love One Piece, you know.” He smirked.

 

“And rilakkuma too,” Baekhyun added while looking at the rilakkuma plushies at the bed with a smirk on his lips.

 

“Yah, why do you look like you’re mocking me? Is it bad to love rilakkuma stuffs?”

 

Baekhyun started to laugh. “No! It’s not what you think it is!” He put the manga back at the shelf and faced Chanyeol who has a big frown on his face. “It’s actually a cute side of you.”

 

Chanyeol’s frown began to change into a big smile. He looked really satisfied.

 

“You play guitar?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“Yup! My father taught me when I was a child,” He picked his guitar up. He sat on the nearby chair and started to strum. “Can you sing?”

 

Baekhyun sat at the corner of the bed. Chanyeol is sitting in front of him. “Umm, I can sing but I don’t have confidence in my voice.”

Well, he doesn’t have confidence in everything he does. His mother is always telling him that he has a good voice but he doesn’t believe her. He always says to his self that there’s nothing he’s good at. It’s very hard for him to take compliments from people because he thinks that he doesn’t deserve it.

 

“Don’t worry about it. Just sing.”

 

Baekhyung bit his lip. “But…I have an ugly voice.”

 

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “Come one, Baek. You need to believe in yourself and besides; it’s only you and me here. You don’t need to worry about anything else.”

 

It’s only you and me here. You don’t need to worry about anything else.

 

With a heavy sigh, he started to sing.

 

“It's his hair and his eyes today 
that just simply take me away 
and the feeling that I’m falling further in love 
makes me shiver but in a good way”

 

Baekhyun started to sing and Chanyeol strummed the guitar. The sound that was coming from the guitar matches Baekhyun’s song. It seems like Chanyeol knew the song as well.

 

He shut his eyes and let it all out. He’s always embarrassed about his voice. But now that the only one who can hear him is Chanyeol, he felt at ease. He felt like he can do everything. No matter how ugly his voice is, he’ll continue singing.

 

“All the times I have sat and stared 
as he thoughtfully thumbs through his hair
and she purses his lips, bats his eyes as he plays,
with me sitting there slack-jawed and nothing to say”

 

He remembered the time when he always looked at Chanyeol without noticing that he’s examining him. Chanyeol’s laugh and cheerful aura fascinates him. There’s a feeling that he wants to watch Chanyeol all day without minding the time. All he wants to do is to stare at the giant with a priceless smile and God-like face.

 

“Cause I love him with all that I am 
and my voice shakes along with my hands 
cause he’s all that I see and he’s all that I need
and I'm out of my league once again” 

 

He opened his eyes and their eyes met. It seems like the time stopped. All he did was to look at Chanyeol’s expressive eyes. It’s showing too many emotions he can’t decipher.
 

Chanyeol’s face was so red and he’s biting his lip so hard that Baekhyun’s afraid it will bleed. He covered his face with his huge hands.

 

“I’m…I’m…going crazy.” he breathed.