Chapter 3

Golden Time

Chapter 3

Baekhyun couldn’t get any luckier. The rain is pouring so hard after the scorching heat of the sun that afternoon. He was so confident that it won’t rain today so he decided to leave his umbrella behind but it seems like it’s a bad idea. He’s stranded in front of the library and he’s too shy to share an umbrella with the students passing by.

He decided to call Kyungsoo, Luhan or Jongdae but he realized he has no phone since forever. His mother always insisted to buy for him but he always refused having the reason he won’t use it anyway. And he’s pretty sure that only his Mom’s number will be save in the contacts. And even he has his phone, he'll be too shy to call his new friends that went home without him because he needs to stay at the library to check some books for his homework.

“I’ll just go back and wait for it to stop.” he said to himself.

He walked back to the library and chose to read some books. After a couple of flipping the pages, he stopped and sighed.

“Will you please stop staring at me?” Baekhyun glared at the giant sitting two tables away from him.

At first he didn’t notice Chanyeol but after a few minutes, he felt like there’s someone staring at him and he’s not wrong about that. He didn’t want to assume that he’s the one who’s been staring at but he can feel it. Baekhyun wants to believe that Chanyeol is coincidentally here because everyone can go to the library but he saw Chanyeol holding the book upside-down, pretending to read.

Chanyeol put down the book he was holding. His brows are furrowed as if he’s confused about something.

“I’m not staring at you. I’m here to study.”

Baekhyun crossed his arms and shot his eyebrow up. “Oh, yeah? Studying while holding a book upside-down, that’s new.” He chose not to add words to complete his sassy remarks because he doesn’t want to make this conversation longer.

He continued to read, completely ignoring the presence of Chanyeol who’s starting to get sulky.

Chanyeol pulled the chair in front of Baekhyun with a force that it screeches, making an echo. He looked around nervous because the librarian might scold at him but no one came. He sat and stared at Baekhyun with a puppy like pout in his lips. He looked like a wounded puppy with his big glinting eyes and pouty lips.

Baekhyun let out an exasperated sigh. “What do you want?” he snapped.

Chanyeol smiled. “You.”

His eyes widen and he can feel the heat in his cheeks. He immediately looked away. The way Chanyeol says ‘You’ kept ringing in his head. Chanyeol’s deep and husky voice has a big effect on him. It’s like it’s not just passing through his ears but also to his entire system.

“Stop playing games, Park Chanyeol. Leave me alone. Get a life. And don’t ever let me see your face again.”

Chanyeol grasped a handful of his shirt in his chest and acted like he’s hurt. “Ouch, so harsh!” he exclaimed. “Why do you hate me so much? I didn’t do anything wrong.”

“Yeah, except you’re being too arrogant.” Baekhyun said, sarcasm is overflowing with each and every word he said.

“Woah, wait, I’m not!” he denied. “How can you say that without basis?”

“I have,” Baekhyun said, with his forehead held high. “First, you’re always calling me midget to be you and your friends’ laughing stock. Second, you always laugh so loud to gather everyone’s attention. Third, you act like some kind of a celebrity here in school. I hate it.” He pursed his lips after his spiel.

“It seems like Park Chanyeol can make you use that mouth of yours. Oh, I’m pretty jealous.”

He remembered Jongdae’s words back at the cafeteria. He mentally slapped his face multiple times. When he’s talking about Chanyeol or talking to Chanyeol, he can’t stop his mouth. The sassy remarks and sarcastic comments come out naturally from his mouth. This is really not him. How can Chanyeol make him this way? It’s irritating him.

The giant’s chuckle cut him out of his reverie. He darted his gaze to the latter.

“This is just what I want when I came to you at the cafeteria. I want to have a conversation with you,” He stood up and looked at the window. “Ah, the rain is still pouring hard. You don’t have an umbrella, right?”

Baekhyun nodded while his eyes were glued to the floor to keep Chanyeol from seeing his flushed face.

“Good news, midget, I have an umbrella. Care to share with me?”

Baekhyun stood up without looking at the boy. His gaze was fixated to the window. He watched as the rain makes a split-splat sound as it hit the window.

“No, I can handle myself.” He started to walk away. He can’t stay any closer to the boy. It makes his heart clenched and he doesn’t know why.

He heard footsteps from behind and he walked faster ‘til he got out from the library. He bit his lower lip and contemplated if he’ll accept Chanyeol’s offer or let his stubbornness get the hell out of him. And he chose the latter. He ran as fast as he could while covering his head using his bag to shield his petite body from the pouring rain but it was no use. He got home, soaked to the skin by the rain.

“Oh goodness gracious, Baek! You didn’t bring your umbrella?” Mrs. Byun exclaimed.

He rolled his eyes. “Obviously, Eomma.” He dropped his wet bag to the floor and started to remove his shoes.

Mrs. Byun ignored him and helped him instead. She took Baekhyun’s shoes and bag to the laundry room while Baekhyun walked to his room to change his soaked clothes.

After taking a bath, he sprawled to his bed like a starfish and stared at the ceiling. If he accepted Chanyeol’s offer, maybe he’s here right now, drinking some tea that his mother made. He shook his head vigorously, trying to shake the giant away from his head but no matter how many times he shakes his head, Chanyeol kept coming back.

“Oh, dear! What happened to you? Are you alright?”

Baekhyun’s forehead creased as he heard his mother shouting. He got up from his head and lazily opened his door.

“What is it, Mom? Feefy got soaked from the rain too?” he asked. Feefy is his dog.

“No, dummy! Your friend, Chanyeol, is burning in fever!”

Baekhyun’s eyes widen and ran towards the front door. From there he saw Chanyeol standing in the doorway, soaking wet with a big grin on his face but the wariness in his eyes as he catch a glimpse of Baekhyun is prevailing. His cheeks are flushed and his lips are pale. They don’t need to touch his forehead to know he has a fever because his face says it all.

They brought Chanyeol to the living room and gave him a towel.

“What are you doing here?” he whispered, perplexed.

“I followed you because I’m worried you’ll get sick after you ran from school to your house without an umbrella.” Chanyeol sniffed and wiped the under of his nose using his index finger.

“And how about you? I thought you have an umbrella?” He offered the tea to him and the latter immediately took it. He watched as Chanyeol drank the tea and as his Adam’s apple moved up and down.

Chanyeol smiled at him. “I realized I forgot to bring it too.”

He wants to smack Chanyeol in the face but stopped his self because it will be rude. They’re not that close to go that way.

“You shouldn’t have followed me then,” he said. “You’re worried because I might catch a fever but you’re the one who have it now, idiot.”

“Baek, the bath is ready!” Mrs. Byun called. “Bring Chanyeol here and let him take a bath first before going to rest.”

“Okay!” he answered. “Yah, let’s go.”

***

Baekhyun rummaged through his dresser to look for a shirt that will fit to Chanyeol. Because he’s small and Chanyeol is a giant, it will be hard for him to find one. After a couple of minutes, he found a plain black T-shirt. He can’t remember where he got it though. He also pulled a pajama with cute Rilakkuma prints. He’s not using this pajama because it’s too long for him. Maybe it will fit Chanyeol very well.

He threw the clothes at his bed and closed his dresser. He was about to go out from his room when the door opens and Chanyeol moved in. His jaw dropped. He looked at Chanyeol from head to toe.

Messed up and wet hair – check. Water dripping from his wet hair down to his lean body – check. Only his lower body was covered by the towel – check. Baekhyun glorifying Chanyeol’s body – check.

“Hi, Baek!” he greeted.

“I-I..w-what...h-how...I-I...!” He shoved Chanyeol away and stormed out from his room. He heard the giant’s laughter from behind. He halted with a snort.

“That giant did that on purpose!” he screamed in his mind.

“Baekhyun,” Mrs. Byun cooed, making Baekhyun turned to her with disgust written all over his face.

“What?”

“You didn’t tell me you finally have a friend!” she exclaimed. She wiped fake tears from her eyes. “I’m so happy for you, Baek! And he’s incredibly gorgeous! If he became your boyfriend, I’ll support you two.”

Baekhyun snorted. “What kind of craps are you babbling, Eomma?”

Mrs. Byun hit Baekhyun’s head. “Yah, watch your mouth, Byun Baekhyun. It’s not crap! It’s a possibility!” she reasoned. “He’s the very first friend you’ve got and the very first to come at our house! Finally, my baby is a man now!”

"His not the first though he's the first one to come here even though he's not my friend." he thought.

He rolled his eyes. Sometimes, he hates his mother for being like this but he can’t deny the fact that he loves her so much. Her mom is the only one who loves him unconditionally. He doesn’t want to lose her like he loses his father.

“Bring this medicine to him. This will make him better.” Mrs. Byun reached out and put the medicine at Baekhyun’s hands. “Before he sleeps, make him take this.”

Even though he doesn’t want to, he obeys what his mother said. He took the medicine to Chanyeol who’s sleeping soundly in his bed. The duvet was rolled in his body, making him looked like a giant roll.

Baekhyun stopped his self from laughing at the sight. He walked towards his bed and shook Chanyeol’s shoulder with a little violence.

“Yah, giant, wake up and drink your medicine!”

Chanyeol half-opened his eyes. “Why?” he asked croakily.

He showed the medicine in his right hand and a glass of water in his left hand. “Drink your medicine first and after that, you’re free to sleep in my bed. Thank you.” he said sarcastically.

Chanyeol managed a small smile. He slowly got up and leaned his back at the headboard. He reached the medicine from Baekhyun’s hand, their fingers slightly touching but they both felt the small electricity that passed between them. He gulped down the water and laid back.

“Thank you, Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun shivered. He didn’t realize that hearing his name from Chanyeol will be this special. He somehow felt like he loves his name more than he does.

***

Baekhyun was curled up in a ball in the one-sitter couch in the living room. He didn’t get enough sleep because Chanyeol’s voice kept ringing and his face kept popping in his head, it’s making him crazy. He stood up with a jolt and stomped his way to the kitchen. He got a glass of water and gulped it down without breathing.

“Oh, you’re up early.” Mrs. Byun said as she prepares the ingredients for the breakfast she was about to cook today. “Check for Chanyeol. His fever went down, I’m sure.”

He sighed. He immediately went to his room and found nothing. His bed was neatly arranged and there’s no trace of Park Chanyeol everywhere except a small piece of paper on top of the bedside table.

He bit his lower lip as he began to read.

Thank you for letting me stay and taking care of me. I’m sorry I didn’t able to thank you and Mrs. Byun properly and I’m sorry I can’t say goodbye properly too. I’m sorry for the inconvenience too. But thank you very much, midget. P.S. I brought the Rilakkuma pajama with me because it's too cute. – Park Chanyeol