Chapter 4

Golden Time

Chapter 4

Saturday and Sunday are Byun Baekhyun’s favourite day. He can sleep all day and lock his self inside the room. He almost tears up in happiness. He opened his eyes with a smile and looked at the clock hanging on his wall. It’s 7 o’clock in the evening. He’s been sleeping all day. Mrs. Byun doesn’t try waking him up because she knew that his son doesn’t want to be bothered. It’s the best day of the week and he wants to spend it inside his room.

Baekhyun stood up from his bed and walked towards his study table. He booted up his laptop and opened his account. He’s working on a novel. He’s a writer in a social community site where you can share your own story and read a lot of stories from different authors around the world. He discovered this site while browsing in the internet. Many people talked about the site so he checked it out.

Baekhyun is a bookworm. Other than sleeping and eating, reading is one of the best things he can do. He always finds peace in reading. Books can take him to different world without leaving his seat. It can take him out of the reality that he always wants to escape. And books inspired him to write his own story. He never dreamed to be a writer. He started as a reader and he tried to write his own. He never expected that his story will be liked by many people on the social community site.

He started to write a new chapter for his story with a main character that really resembles him (or maybe he’s writing about himself). It’s about a boy who doesn’t talk much. He wants to have friends but he doesn’t know how.

“What should I do for chapter 3?” he asked himself but an idea popped in his mind. He started to type.

Minjoon looked around the cafeteria. Almost all the students are grouped together. He’s just the only one sitting alone in a table. He wants to pity himself but shook his head afterwards. Fighting, Minjoon! He cheered himself. He looked down on his plate and started to eat. So what if he doesn’t have friends? So what if he’s alone? Then suddenly, he heard a voice in his side.

“Hi!” He looked up and he saw a tall boy grinning from ear to ear. There’s a tray balancing in his right hand. “Can I sit with you?” He looked around the place, wide-eyed. “All the tables are full.”

“O-Oh,” he said. “U-Umm, sure. Have a seat.” He pointed the seat in front of him but the boy took a seat beside him. He moved awkwardly because their shoulder bumped. He can’t even look at the boy who’s still smiling at him.

“Thanks,” he said in his deep and husky voice...

Baekhyun smashed his hand in the keyboard. He bumped his head in his table and groaned.

“This boy in my story resembles him too,” he sighed. “What the , Byun Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun slammed his laptop shut. He leaned his back in his chair and shut his eyes tightly.

“BYUN BAEKHYUN!”

He opened his eyes and stood up hastily. He’s very sure that voice is familiar or maybe he’s just imagining things? He shrugged his shoulders and sat in his chair again.

“Byun Baekhyun! Oh, God, Luhan! Hold me tighter! I don’t want to die yet!”

“What the—“ Baekhyun walked towards his balcony and saw hands gripping the baluster. He peeped down and saw Jongdae, his foot on Luhan’s shoulder while Kyungsoo is just looking at them with mild interest. “—are you doing down there?” He choked with laughter.

Jongdae looked up and glared. “Why don’t you just help me, huh?”

“The door is open. Why do you always want to do things in a hard way?” asked Kyungsoo. He pointed at the front door. “Mrs. Byun is waiting for us. Get your down here, Jongdae.”

“Kyungie is right!” exclaimed Luhan. “This is embarrassing!”

Jongdae huffed and jumped down from Luhan’s shoulders. “I’m just being adventurous! Will you please stop being a killjoy?”

“You’re just being an idiot,” Kyungsoo rolled his doe-eyes. He looked up at Baekhyun who’s watching them with a smile on his face. “Baek, you better prepare yourself because we’re going out.”

Baekhyun knitted his brows in sudden confusion. “Why?”

Before Kyungsoo could answer him, they marched through his front door. He flinched when he heard his mother shriek like a puppy. He sighed and ran outside only to find his mother sobbing in Kyungsoo’s arms.

“I can’t believe that my Baeky have wonderful friends like all of you!” she sobbed. “I’m so happy I can’t fight my tears from falling!”

Kyungsoo smiled and patted Mrs. Byun’s back. “Don’t cry, Eommoni,” he said soothingly. Baekhyun was amazed how Satansoo became Angelsoo in an instant. “Ah, now that we’re here. We would like to borrow Baekhyun for a moment.”

Mrs. Byun’s eyes shone like a fluorescent lamp. “Oh! Sure! Go! Take him and have some fun!” She walked towards Baekhyun and pushed him until he’s in front of his room again. “Yah, Baekhyun, your friends are waiting for you. You should prepare yourself! You look like a beggar in your ripped shirts and pajama!”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. He immediately prepares himself like his mother wants him to do. He opened his closet and absent-mindedly took a simple black shirt with a print that says ‘I’M GONNA NAIL IT’ (A very lousy shirt I might add) and ripped skinny jeans.

He threw it in his bed and he was about to change his clothes when his door burst open. Kyungsoo, Luhan and Jongdae walked inside his room and dropped in his bed like they owned it.

“As expected,” Luhan put Baekhyun’s shirt up. “you have no taste in fashion.”

Jongdae nodded in agreement. “Let us help you.”

Before he could say yes or no (though he will definitely say no), Jongdae started to rummage through his closet. Luhan followed suit and helped him find the right clothes for Baekhyun. Kyungsoo wandered in his room like a lost puppy, his eyes wide while looking at his stuffs.

“Ah!” Luhan exclaimed. He smiled broadly while holding up a grey sweat shirt with a print that says ‘DOPE’ and a black and red checkered polo.

Jongdae found a blue snapback that Baekhyun got from his mother but never wear it. He also found a leather cuff in Baekhyun’s closet together with the glasses.

They threw it at Baekhyun’s bed and with a big grin on their faces, they looked at Baekhyun. Suddenly, he felt scared because of the two. With a look like that, it’s as if they’ll gonna do something that Baekhyun won’t like.

“W-What are you planning to do?” he asked, nervous.

“We’re gonna make you the hottest guy in town,” said Jongdae. “Don’t worry. This won’t hurt. You just have to wear all of this stuff excluding this,” He held the black shirt up. “ugly shirt.” He threw it inside Baekhyun’s closet.

Baekhyun sighed but started to walk to the bathroom to wear all the things that Luhan and Jongdae picked for him. These are all new to him and one of these is having friends that will help him in his wardrobe problems though he never pay attention to what he wears.

After he dressed up, he walked out from the bathroom and suddenly felt shy when three pairs of eyes landed at him.

“D-Do I look weird?” he fidgeted.

“Oh God,” he heard Jongdae exclaimed. “You look...badass.”

It was followed by Kyungsoo’s laugther. “He’s not badass! He looks cute! Like a boy next door.”

“Don’t feel shy, Baeky! You look great!” Luhan said.

He slowly looked up and saw the three smiling at him. Before he knew it, he’s smiling back at them.

“Umm, may I ask where we are going?” he said while heading towards Luhan’s car.

Kyungsoo smiled at him. “We’re gonna party all night, Baekhyun,” he answered. “There’s a club nearby. We decided to have a drink there with you. We want you to hang out with us.”

Baekhyun pursed his lips. He’s becoming nervous again. This is the first time he’ll go to a bar. And he never drinks! He didn’t even know what will happen if he gets drunk. He shook his head when images of him singing like a mad man in top of the table and dancing like an idiot because of drunkenness popped in his mind.

Before he could back out, the car’s engine roared to life and sped off.

***

All Baekhyun wants is to go home. When they entered the club, Baekhyun smelled alcohol, smoke and perfume from different people. The music is so loud he can’t hear what his friends are saying. They will need to shout before they can understand what they’re saying to one another. The club was packed with people. He’s starting to get afraid because he might be separated from his friends. Luckily, they found a table at the far end of the club.

Baekhyun slumped down in the cozy couch and let out breathe he didn’t know he was holding.

“Is it always like this in here?” he asked and drank a glass of water straight.

Jongdae shook his head. “We didn’t know. It’s our first time in here.”

Baekhyun looked at them incredulously. “Seriously? I thought—“

“This is not the club we’re always going to,” Kyungsoo answered. “This is a newly opened club so we wanted to try and we also wanted you to come with us.”

Baekhyun nodded his head. Later on, the waiter approached to their table to get their order. Luhan ordered the drinks for Baekhyun because he knew a lot about different kinds of alcoholic beverages.

“Kyungie, what happened between you and Jongin?” Jongdae asked out of nowhere.

Kyungsoo pouted his heart-shaped lips. “Nothing new. He just talked about our project and after that, he left. I never had the chance to have a normal conversation with him,” He sipped in his drink. “I’m so happy when I found out that he’ll be my partner in our project because it’s the way for us to be closer but it seems like Jongin really have no interest in me.”

Baekhyun listened to Kyungsoo’s sentiments. He felt light-headed and free. Even though the music is so loud, pounding so hard in his ears, he felt at peace. Hearing Kyungsoo spilling his love for Jongin even though he’s just new to them makes his heart flutter in happiness.

“How about you, Jongdae? Do you have someone you like?” Baekhyun asked suddenly. He bit his lip because he didn’t intend to say it out loud but it’s too late. Jongdae seems amuse though.

Jongdae smirked. “I like myself.”

The three of them rolled their eyes at Jongdae and after that, they found themselves laughing together.

Moments later, a group of noisy people took the table beside them. Baekhyun held his head up when he heard a familiar laughter from the distance. As his eyes wander, he found Park Chanyeol sitting on the table beside them. He wanted to slouch lower in his seat. He doesn’t want to be seen by the giant but it’s too late, their eyes met. Baekhyun smiled a little but fades quickly when Chanyeol looked away. He’s absolutely sure that their eyes met.

Why did he look away? He didn’t even say ‘hi’. He talked to himself.

He shook his head, wanting to rid inappropriate thoughts.

“Woah, look at there,” They heard Tao said, one of Chanyeol’s friend. “I didn’t know that potatoes can go to a club.”

The four of them felt like there’s someone staring at them. When they looked up, they saw the boys to the next table, looking at them, with a mocking grin on their faces. Their faces are flushed. They’re drunk.

“They’re the first one to get drunk?” Luhan whispered. “Oh, my Sehunnie, I didn’t know he can drink so much like that!”

Jongdae rolled his eyes. “Shut up, Luhan. They’re mocking us.”

“And the funny thing is,” Sehun followed. “Maybe they’re here to wiggle their butts to catch men’s attention.” They all laughed and Chanyeol’s laugh is the loudest.

Baekhyun clenched his fist in his lap, trying to calm his self down.

Baekhyun flinched when he heard Chanyeol’s deep voice. “Oh, funny! Faggots in one table!” They all laughed again, banging their fist on the table. “Let me guess, you want to get laid that’s why you’re here? You want to be ed?”

Baekhyun wants to convince himself that they’re just drunk that’s why they’re saying all these stuffs but drunk or not, it’s too much. He stood up hastily, walked towards Chanyeol and flung his palm to the giant’s cheek.

There was an awkward silence. Chanyeol’s friends are so shock that their jaws are hanging open and their eyes are widening same goes with Kyungsoo, Luhan and Jongdae.

“I don’t care if you’re drunk or not but this is too much,” Baekhyun said, gritting his teeth. “Insult me for all I care but don’t you ever insult my friends in front me. If you did it again, I’ll gonna crush your face using my fist.”

He walked back to their table.

“Let’s go.” he said. Baekhyun was extremely mad. One moment he’s happy and now, he’s pissed. He expected that this night will be the best night of his life with his friends but Park Chanyeol ruined it. He can’t believe that he actually thought that Chanyeol is not that bad. But now, he’s the worst guy that Baekhyun ever met.

Before they go, Luhan blew a flying kiss, Jongdae winked and Kyungsoo shot his eyebrow up and followed Baekhyun who’s rapidly walking away from Chanyeol and his friends.