Lizzy

Winged

The girl was furious that Serena interrupted her victory of capturing her prey. Although the match was over, she was not done basking in her own triumph. By pushing her over, the girl now classified Serena as her new prey and begun wrapping her plants onto her.

"That's enough!" The teacher yelled out. "We do not allow the Winged to attack the Activators!" However the teacher was powerless in her position.

One of the plants lashed out on Serena's arm, resulting in a long and deep cut. Serena cried out in pain. At that moment she regretted lying about being an Activator but she knew she had no way out of this unless she revealed the truth, which would be even more painful than what was happening now. At that moment Kyungsoo understood what it meant to be completely powerless and gave meaning to his own power.

He could use his powers to protect others.

Kyungsoo stopped struggling and closed his eyes to find his inner strength. When he reached the core of his power he caused the plants that were wrapped around him to burst into organic fragments. He proceeded to Serena's location and grasped a couple of stems. They too dissipated in a moment after his touch. Serena opened her eyes to see a very exhausted Kyungsoo standing between her and the girl.

"Don't touch her." He spoke firmly. The girl was clearly shocked by his actions with her wide-mouthed look and stiff body. His interference gave enough time for the teacher to walk over. 

"Miss, you will be under probation and temporary suspension. Please follow me." The teacher was followed by another staff member who immediately held onto the girl once the teacher instructed him to do so.

"Class is dismissed for today. Kyungsoo you should take Serena to the school hospital - I will notify the other teachers of your absence." The teacher suggested with a huge emphasis on it as if it was an order. "The rest of you please prepare for the next class."

"I'll help out." Sungjong jogged over to assist Serena in getting up. Sungjong used sound waves to prevent the wound from bleeding continuously. Serena was feeling light-headed from losing so much blood already. Her arm was so numb that she could no longer feel the pain and instead the sensation of molten lava being poured all over her limbs took over.

Kyungsoo had eyes filled with worry. "Don't fall asleep Serena. We'll get you to the nurse soon."

Serena tried as hard as she could to stay awake, but quickly fainted as she stumbled within her thoughts. When she finally gained her conscience, she was lying on a medical bed and her arm was covered heavily in bandages. She had an IV drip so that she would be able to receive the pain reliever. Looking around, she could not find Kyungsoo or Sungjong, however there was a girl smiling at her in the bed beside hers. She was also attached to an IV drip.

"Glad you woke up! When they brought you here everyone was worried if you'll survive with so much blood loss." She greeted unusually. 

Serena tilted her head over to her side. She was feeling quite groggy from all the drugs she had to intake to keep her alive. "urgluh…" was all she managed to blurt out and the girl giggled in response.

"The name is Lizzy." She announced. "I'm the Activator of Sungjong. I'm sure you're familiar with him?"

Her memory was hazy, but she could recollect the fight between Sungjong and Kevin quite quickly. "nrgh…"

Lizzy laughed again. "It's okay, don't stress yourself over talking. It's already nice seeing another face around here, but I don't mean it the bad way! Sungjong visits me every day, but you know…it gets a little tiring not being able to see new faces. Don't tell him I said that! Okay okay I won't talk anymore, have some sleep." She gave Serena a wink before grabbing her phone from the bedside table. Serena blinked a couple of times before the dizziness closed her eyes.


"She'll be dismissed in a day or two." The doctor told Kyungsoo who stood outside the Serena's ward. "You've got a good Activator there, don't disappoint her." Kyungsoo believed that she could be someone whom he could trust, and someone who could take his opinions to heart. He opened the door to find Sungjong talking with Lizzy as Serena was quietly sleeping.

Lizzy pointed her thumb at Serena. "She sleeps like a dense boulder that even Sungjong can't wake up with his voice." Sungjong blushed at Lizzy's comment.

Kyungsoo walked over to Serena's bed. He gave a little poke on her shoulder and waited for a response, however the response didn't come until an hour later when she woke up. Kyungsoo patiently sat on a stool beside her bed during the entire time.

"How are you feeling?" Kyungsoo asked with almost a whisper. "Does it hurt?"

Serena's arm was aching, but the pain was still suppressed. "It's still a little sore, but I guess I can't feel it.'

"Thanks…" Kyungsoo mumbled. "You really didn't have to jump in."

"I had to do something." Serena tried to move her upper body a little higher on the pillow. "I couldn't just stand around and see you get hurt like that."

"Yes, but I could have…"

"If you could have, then you would have used your powers at the first place!" Serena's voice grew louder.

"You have to give him a little credit for it." Lizzy invited herself into the conversation. "Not every Winged wants to use their powers. Sungjong over here sometimes can't even control his voice, but we can say it's a good thing that I'm frequently here so his powers are not as strong as it should be."

With that said, Sungjong frowned. "I really hope you get well soon."

"Soon, I promised." She smiled brightly at Sungjong.

Serena admired Lizzy and Sungjong's bond. If only she truly Winged someone, then their bond might have been as good as theirs. Kyungsoo also took notice of the bond, but he could not feel it himself with Serena. What was missing? Kyungsoo thought. Was this all because I do not remember the exact moment I was winged? He glanced over at Serena. "I'll be back tomorrow morning during break."

"Alright." Serena's back started to itch. "I'll won't be going anywhere anytime soon."

"I guess I'll go too then." Sungjong stood up as well and left with Kyungsoo.

"So we're all alone here again." Lizzy looked at Serena. "You seem to be in a better shape than a couple of hours ago."

"How long have you winged Sungjong?" Serena asked curiously. "You guys seem quite close."

"We've been close friends since fourth grade." Lizzy explained. "I knew Sungjong from one of my parents' friend meet-ups. You know, the kind where they drop all the kids together and let them mingle."

Serena understood what she was talking about, but she had never attended one herself as her parents were quite the introverts. Before Serena could ask another question an unexpected guess entered the room.

"Well well, if it isn't the Activator that we'd been talking about." The bully from day one appeared.

"Fancy seeing you here, Chanyeol. You hardly ever come by for a visit anymore." Lizzy said sarcastically in a light humorous tone.

"I have no interests in targeting you anymore." Chanyeol spoke about Lizzy. "It's the new one I'm after now. I heard she was able to fend off a Winged all by herself and then got injured badly, so I came to see how 'bad' the wounds are."

Serena was not in the mood for another bullying session from the guy, though this time he was alone. Chanyeol inspected Serena's bandages. "I can't see a thing. Maybe if I unraveled this…" He started to pull at the end of the gauze.

"Chanyeol!" Lizzy grew serious. "Now is not the time to be disturbing Serena! Let her go for a few days."

Chanyeol turned towards Lizzy and snapped back, "I can do whatever I want! If you're so against it, try to stop me!"

Serena couldn't fight back from Chanyeol. Her legs struggled to push him away and she started to scream in a high pitch, which alerted the nearby nurse. "What's going on in there?" The nurse could be heard hustling towards the room.

Chanyeol let out a deep sigh before preparing his escape through the window. "You guys are no fun at all."

"Illnesses aren't to be made fun of." Lizzy sounded cold. "If I see you in here again while Serena is healing, I'll be sure to notify Sungjong immediately."

"Ooh I'll avoid that…" Chanyeol made the motion of cleaning his ears as he placed one of his legs over the windowsill. He could still recall the temporary deafness that resulted in the time he crossed the line with Lizzy and Sungjong.

After Chanyeol left, Serena grew even more worried about her position at the school. She had already made a few enemies at the school and they would definitely discover her secret for sure. Maybe the injury was a sign that this place was not for her and that she should leave, but Serena was not expecting her future departure from the school would lead her to her true destiny.