Another encounter

Winged

Serena was nervous entering the room where Kyungsoo was waiting. Although the Academy was large, the hallways were pretty straightforward and she could easily find the main office. She had two suitcases of her belongings (she tried to only bring one, but her mother insisted that she brought all the extra items that she believed Serena will eventually need during the time at the Academy). The same obnoxious woman, who was called "Ms Won" redirected her to the meeting room.

"So we'll leave you two alone for roughly two hours. After that I'll take you and Kyungsoo to the dorms." The familiar clipboard was held tightly in Ms Won's arms. "Go on."

Serena had no clue what this meet was about. She breathed in and walked into the room. Kyungsoo's wide eyes noticed her immediately. Serena awkwardly found a chair to sit on and her eyes wandered around the room, though it was as if Kyungsoo wanted her to begin the conversation. Around five minutes later Kyungsoo spoke softly.

"How did we meet?"

Serena hesitated. Oh I saw you lying on the ground and I poked you. That was what she was saying in her mind, though she wouldn't say it out loud to him. "T-that's a good question. I can't really remember…and I'm guessing you don't either?"

Kyungsoo shook his head. "I don't remember why I was at the park. My memory is hazy."

Serena nodded in approval. "Why do they even set up this time for us to chat in the most awkward setting ever?" There was literally nothing in the room that they could even talk about. Maybe she could compliment on how clean the meeting desk was? Either way this was all irrelevant to her. Kyungsoo seemed to be thinking quite a bit, but wasn't willing to share his thoughts.

Kyungsoo was quiet around people he wasn't familiar with. Serena was no different, even though she was his Activator. He didn’t feel any 'bond' or 'connection' with her, so he figured that what they said in class about creating a special bond wasn't as obvious as they made it seem to be. According to his mark he was definitely winged and he could certainly feel his power, but why was this bond not there?

"So…how's your power doing?" Serena scratched her head.

"It's fine." Kyungsoo slowly spoke out.

…nothing else? That's all he can say? Serena was losing hope. She was expecting so much more from a Winged as she always looked up to these people. Maybe it was because they were used to interacting with others who are either marked or winged that asking questions about their power was just a frequent greeting? Kyungsoo picked up on Serena's frustration.

"How about you?" He blurted out without thinking.

"I'm still a Regular." Serena raised an eyebrow. Was she supposed to feel different as an Activator? She didn't know.

For the remaining hour little snippets of information were exchanged between the two, such as "what's your favorite color" and "what did you eat for breakfast today?" Nothing in-depth was discussed, therefore Serena felt like this was a waste of her time.

Ms. Won knocked on the door before opening it. "Alright time's up, please follow me."

The two of them shot up and walked behind the woman. Serena was glad the awkward conversation was over, while Kyungsoo was getting worried about how he had to move to another dorm to be closer to his Activator, especially since it was a girl. 

The Winged dormitories were different than Marked dormitories, as it was more lavishly designed. It was a way to encourage the Marked to be Winged, although for sure it would backfire with some people. Apart from the living atmosphere, Winged do not get extra benefits - they have to work hard in school with the addition of power mastery classes in the form of battles. Kyungsoo wasn't looking forward to those classes at all. Although his power could be fearsome, he didn't feel the need to show it off or use it. He lived perfectly fine without his powers up to this point in his life, why would he need to use it?

Ms Won stopped by a door and handed the two key cards. "Serena, we have ordered your uniform according to the measurements your mother sent and will be inside. Classes start strictly at 8:30am, so please be in your homeroom by that time." After marking orientation as "complete" on her notepad, she left the two.

After unlocking the door, Serena peered inside. The unit was a suite, with a small kitchen area right next to the couches (which appeared to be sofa beds). There were two rooms: one with one twin-sized bed and an ensuite bathroom, and the other with two double-sized beds. There was a bolted door on the left wall in the main area, which meant that the unit could expand to the next one. Serena moved a single-seat couch in front of that door so that it won't be accidentally opened. 

Kyungsoo walked into the twin bedroom, to which Serena responded. "Um, I think that's my room." Kyungsoo noticed that her uniform was hung inside the closet, which confirmed it. 

Darn. This room would have been nice. Kyungsoo sighed as he walked out and into the double bedroom. Let's hope that I won't need to share this bedroom.

Serena's mother texted her letting her know her grades had been successfully transferred to the Academy's database and tell her that she was "always welcomed to bring boys home ;)" This reminded Serena that she didn't have Kyungsoo's phone number yet. The door was already closed but Serena knocked on it anyway.

"Can I have your phone number?" She talked through the door. She heard some scribbling before a small piece of paper slid out from under the door. "Um, thanks." Serena took the number on the paper and added it to her contact list. For the rest of the day the two of them didn't even meet face to face, so Serena decided to walk around the Academy to know more about the environment. 

Serena ended up at the athletic complex for the first building to explore. The usual rooms were accessible: the swimming pool, basketball court, squash courts, etc. She noticed a group of guys walking in her direction and the person walking at the front was holding a gym bag. He immediately noticed her and whispered to the people behind him, to which the shook their heads. One of them spoke close to his ear. 

When they were in talking distance, the apparent leader spoke in a fairly deep voice, "You new around here?" 

Serena nodded. Their presence did not feel too well to her. 

"Are you marked?" He continued to ask. 

"No..." Serena hesitated. The guy started to grin.

"So you're an Activator...?"

"Y-yes...?" Serena tried to swallow as she lied. 

"Heh." He smirked and turned to the others. "We found ourselves another Activator here."

Serena was ready to dash if things turned sour. The leader walked up to her. "We're here to make things tough for you."

"We JUST met." Serena retorted. "I didn't even do anything."

"Exactly." He crossed his arms. "The only thing that an Activator does is wing the Marked. Who gets the power? The Winged do, not the Activator."

This guy sounds like he has a grudge against Activators... Serena thought. "Well if you're done bluffing let me leave."

"That's so cute. Guys she thinks we're bluffing. Why don't we show her that we mean business." He dropped his gym bag, brought out a basketball and started to dribble. The other guys circled around her and were in game positions. It wasn't long before the ball began to circulate between them and Serena was trapped. 

"Having fun yet?" He shouted. 

"What do you want?" Serena protected her head. 

"Nothing for now, but you should be ready - like the rest of the Activators." He caught hold of the ball and placed it back in his gym bag. "Let's go guys. We'll be back for you." The group laughed as they walked away.

Serena fixed her hair and frowned at their backs. "Well guess I'll be avoiding these guys."

Easier said than done as always though.