Stranger Things

Roommates

“Move aside,” Kyungsoo hears Minseok command even though he’s half asleep. Kyungsoo is met to pitch black when he opens one eye. The only thing that he can see is the two red charging lights on his and Minseok’s nightstands. “Please? You slept in my bed last week.”

 

               Kyungsoo didn’t think that he and Minseok would share a bed again but they have gotten closer over the past week. He, Minseok, and Jongdae have been going on nightly runs to convenient stores to get late night snacks; and they’ve all had a couple of movie nights, which was actually them just procrastinating. Kyungsoo doesn’t think much about it and moves himself closer to the wall.

 

               Minseok slides into bed with him and Kyungsoo immediately feels extra warm from Minseok’s body heat in close proximity. He didn’t think it was possible since he and Minseok both have twin sized beds but he actually thinks that his bed is smaller, Minseok feels closer than before.

 

“What made you want to come over here?” Kyungsoo questions, barely awake. He turns over so that he’s facing Minseok. He had to make it seem like he was listening.

 

“You don’t hear him?” Minseok asks annoyed. They both stay quiet for a second and Kyungsoo can clearly hear what Minseok is talking about. It’s Jongin…but it sounds like it’s two other people, or maybe three? “I think there’s like four people in there. I just know that one of them is even louder than that guy from last week.”

 

“I have nothing to say. That is wild.”

 

“I know. When I screamed at him to keep it down he asked me if I wanted to join. That was the moment I realized I can commit murder if my patience is tested.”

 

               Kyungsoo is too sleepy too laugh but he tries his best to. His laugh comes out like a very long sigh and he doesn’t do it for long because he knows it doesn’t sound right. “It’s funny but I’m too tired to laugh. You’re such a grandma for scolding him.”

 

               Minseok’s genuine laugh rings through Kyungsoo’s ears and Kyungsoo smiles a little. Minseok says that they should go to sleep before they knock out at the same time. If Jongdae was there at that moment he would probably take a picture of Minseok and Kyungsoo sleeping face to face with their noses almost touching.

 

               There’s an alarm that blares through the room and both Minseok and Kyungsoo groan. Kyungsoo is the first one awake and he notices that his arm is wrapped around Minseok’s waist. In panic, he quickly moves his arm away from the latter and decides that he will keep that little thing to himself. Minseok sits up and walks over to his side of his room. He fiddles with his phone before the alarm halts.

 

               Kyungsoo and Minseok don’t say anything immediately. It’s six in the morning, no one is really awake.

“I have to go jogging,” Minseok mumbles. “You want to come with me?”

 

As much as Kyungsoo wants to say no before knocking back out, he shouldn’t. For the past week he’s been listening to the advice his nutritionist told him by eating more and eating healthy. He’s been trying his best to get into the swing of working out, but working out is a lot of work and Kyungsoo is really lazy. Why not start the cycle today.

 

“Okay,” Kyungsoo answers.

 

Jogging better not be horrible.

 

    Jogging turns out to be worst than horrible. It’s the worst thing he’s ever done. Kyungsoo manages to run halfway around the center park walkway before exhaustion hits him hard. Minseok said he’d run slow for the sake of Kyungsoo being a beginner, but his slow is actually really fast.

 

“Come on you can do it,” Minseok encourages all while running circles around Kyungsoo.

 

“If I wanted a personal trainer I would have asked. But I didn’t,” Kyungsoo sasses.

 

“If I was your personal trainer I would have charged your broke . But I didn’t,” Minseok smiles right back.

 

    Even in the given situation that Kyungsoo is tired, he gives Minseok a high five for that comeback. When they run around the park once, Kyungsoo thinks they’re done. He’s bent over attempting to cough up a lung in order to relieve his pain. Minseok on the other hand, being the show off he is, is jumping up and down in place (barely breaking a sweat might I add) waiting on Kyungsoo.

 

“We have to do four more laps. I’m going easy on you today, usually I do 8 to 10.”

 

    Kyungsoo lets out a string of curse words as he plops down sadly onto the floor. Minseok is out to kill him and he can’t believe he signed himself up for this. He wishes that he could go back in time and tell his six o'clock self to say no to Minseok’s offer.


 

    

    When the duo gets back to their dorm they’re both out of breath and sweating profusely. Kyungsoo basically crawls through the door, not even basically, he does crawl through the door. Minseok is laughing at him but he doesn’t care. He wants nothing more than for the sweet embrace of death to cradle him and tuck him in for a permanent sleep.

 

    Kyungsoo’s in pain, his legs don’t want to work, and he feels disgusting.

 

“Why can’t there be an invention called shower in a can. Like I could just spray it and I’m all showered and clean instead of walking down to the showers and taking a shower,” Kyungsoo sighs out. He goes through his drawer and picks out some comfort clothes.

 

“Work on that idea and make it happen,” Minseok says simply.

 

    They both silently walk with each other to the bathroom. Kyungsoo was about to go back to sleep but sleeping while being all sweaty is gross. As they walk, Kyungsoo’s limbs continue to defy him and they start tightening up on him, they’re sore, and they are very angry at him for doing excessive exercise.

 

    By the time they get back to their room, Kyungsoo knows that he’s definitely not going to make it to class. His leg muscles have tightened up on him even more, classes he wasn’t going to walk around campus today. Kyungsoo’s sure he’s not going to get up to use the bathroom. If he has to pee he’ll just use one of the empty bottles in the recycling can by his bed.

 

“I’m skipping my classes. I’ll see you when you get back,” Kyungsoo mumbles from his pillows.

 

“I’m skipping too.”

 

“Why?”

 

“My folder just fell. That’s a sign that I shouldn’t go to classes today.”

 

    Kyungsoo raises his head and see’s colorful papers scattered all around the once clean floor. He stares at Minseok for a good while before shrugging his shoulders and resting his head back on his pillow.

 

“We can both be disgraces by not going to class today. Just don’t make too much noise,” Kyungsoo mutters. He laughs to himself when he feels the pillow that Minseok threw hit him hard on his back.  Minseok mutters something about him always being quiet before getting back in his bed.

 

    It’s not long before they both fall asleep.

 

    That sleep however isn’t as long as Kyungsoo wanted it to be. There’s  loud banging on the door that snatches Kyungsoo right out of dreamland. He responds to the knocking by cursing really loudly, then proceeds to answer the door. He’s very irritated that it’s Jongdae, his limbs still hurt a lot.

 

“What the hell. It’s,” Kyungsoo stares at the clock in the hall...oh, it’s almost 1pm. “I forgive you. What do you want?”

 

    Jongdae doesn’t say anything immediately. Instead, he solemnly walks himself over to Kyungsoo’s bed and plops down with his arms still crossed. Minseok’s been awake to notice that Jongdae’s in a real sour mood. Kyungsoo can only shrug in reply when Minseok shoots him a ‘what’s up with him?’ stare.

 

“I had to drop my sugar daddy,” Jongdae mumbles. “I still can’t believe him.”

 

“What did he do? Do I have to kill him?” Kyungsoo asks. He has no problem with hurting anyone who hurts Jongdae. Sure the confrontation would have to be postponed until his muscles stop hating him. Kyungsoo can’t be in the middle of potentially kicking Junmyeon’s shins and his legs lock on him, that’d be messy.

 

“He asked me for a dollar.”

 

    Kyungsoo and Minseok look at each other before they start laughing obnoxiously. He expected this from Jongdae. Junmyeon wasn’t capable of hurting anyone’s feelings, he’s Junmyeon. He would probably apologize to a sign if he ran into it.

 

“It’s not funny! He’s supposed to be my sugar daddy and supporting me,” Jongdae puts emphasis on the me part as he’s close to tears. “It’s not supposed be the other way around.”

 

“Let me get this straight. You dropped him because he,” Minseok is already hunched over laughing. “Because he asked you for a dollar?” Him and Kyungsoo hug it out to try and control their laughter. It’s failing terribly.

 

“You know what? you guys, neither of you are my best friends anymore.”

 

    Jongdae gets up from Kyungsoo’s bed and makes his way towards the door. Kyungsoo clears his throat and tries to compose himself. “Where are you going?”

 

“I’m going next door to Jongin’s so he can rearrange my guts. I heard that is a good way to relieve stress and anger.” And with that Jongdae slams the door.

 

“Is he serious right now?” Minseok asks.

 

“No, he never is. He’s going to buy ice cream from the store and come back to complain about it,” Kyungsoo answers. He’s known Jongdae too long to know that he’s joking. “Also...Jongdae is a repulsed aual he’s not getting his insides rearranged any time soon.”

 

“Why is he so dramatic?”

 

“It's because he's a virgo”

 

“It all makes sense now.”

 

    Jongdae comes back with icecream and snacks. Of course he apologizes for being really dramatic but his standpoint on dropping Junmyeon stays. He doesn’t like him. Jongdae started complaining about something and Kyungsoo decided that a movie would be perfect (he wanted Jongdae to shut up). It took awhile to actually choose a movie because Netflix ing most times but they decided why not start a Netflix Original, they decided to watch Stranger Things.

 

“Why does it have to be scary though?”  Jongdae complains. “If this is some type of maneuver to get closer to each other than you two are truly mistaken. It won’t work.”

 

“What are you even talking about? We just want to watch it.” Kyungsoo scoffs.

 

“The moment it gets too scary I’m leaving and your source of quality entertainment will be gone.”

 

“Fine. You can go back to your dollar asking  ex-sugar daddy then,” Minseok says right back.  Both Kyungsoo and Jongdae take a moment to stare at Minseok...where did he get that smart mouth from? Sure, Kyungsoo knows that Minseok is very good at comebacks but what he just said was extra. “Why are you two looking at me?”

 

“I don’t know whether to drag you or fall in love with you,” Jongdae says.


 

    They get through 2 episodes before there’s loud knocking on the door.  The knocking scared them since the show was messing them up. “Minseok you go get it since you’re the strongest.”

 

“That’s not fair, why do I have to get it?”  

 

“I’m scared and I’m not moving from my spot?” Kyungsoo asks back. He’s kind of comfortable where he’s at on the floor. Him and Minseok were sitting right next to each other until a scary part came on and Jongdae dragged him over for consoling reasons. “Jongdae you get it since you’re closer.”

 

“You got me messed up if you think I’m getting the door.”

 

    They argue about it for a few more seconds until the familiar voice of Moonbyul screaming “Open the damn door!” echoes through the room. Then Kyungsoo gets up and answers the door. He’s just trying to make sure that nothing is chasing Moonbyul and that she’s not in danger. Turns out she’s running away from her younger brother that’s chasing her down for their shared credit card.

 

“I don’t know why my mom gave us a credit card to share. I just need to lay low here for a little while until Hoseok gives up looking for me. Is that okay?”

 

“Yeah of course. Pick a spot, we’re watching Stranger things.”

 

    Somehow Moonbyul staying turned into the false idea that an official movie night was going on and most of Kyungsoo and Jongdae’s friends are coming into their dorm to watch Stranger Things. Sehun brought a projector screen so that they could watch the show in bigger picture versus Minseok’s Macbook, Tao brought them all snacks, Krystal brought them all blankets, and everyone else from their chicken night minus  Junmyeon showed up.

 

    Kyungsoo doesn’t know how the heck everyone is fitting in their dorm but it’s nice. All of them are pushing off their assignments but the power of friendship is more important (it’s probably not but Kyungsoo tells himself that. He’s currently sharing a blanket with Chanyeol and Chanyeol kept his arms wrapped around Kyungsoo. Of course Kyungsoo didn’t mind but he still wants to know why Chanyeol keeps rubbing his arms.

 

“Are you going to hold onto me the whole night?” Kyungsoo asks.

 

“That’s the plan,” Chanyeol smirks. Kyungsoo counters by hitting Chanyeol on the arm.

 

“Oh my god. Do they really think that’s a real dead body? What the ?” Krystal screams at the screen. All of them are fully invested in the series (even Tao who was crying 3 episodes ago because he was too scared). “This show is really messing me up.”

 

“I don’t even know who I am anymore,” Minseok says.

 

“There’s 3 more episodes. This is going to be an adventure…did someone bring alcohol?” Yixing asks around.

 

     There’s a knock on the door and when Krystal opened the door, Hani enters cheering because she bought alcohol. This makes everyone else cheer and glad that they have such good friends and alcohol.

 

    By the end of the last episodes they’re all drunk and crying. Kyungsoo has Minseok, Jongdae, and Chanyeol hugging him tightly and crying. He’s not  sure why they all gravitated towards him to cry it out. There were other people to hug, but now he’s here with his shoulders soak and wet because these drunken idiots can’t keep their tears to themselves.

 

“It’s okay. It’s just a show,” Kyungsoo pats all of their heads. He’s kind of drunk and he wants to go to sleep already, not be the one to console all of them. “You can all leave now.”

 

“Kyungsoo you’re so rude. We’re all trying to cope,” Krystal cries out while hugging Moonbyul.

 

“But we know when we’re not needed, Let’s go! Bye Kyungsoo and Minseok I love you guys,” Tao cries out. Sehun is holding onto Tao tightly and escorting the crying male out the door. He sends them all a small goodbye before officially leaving. Krystal, Moonbyul, and Hani leave to go sleep over at Krystal’s dorm.

“Thanks for inviting us. We’ll see you tomorrow,” Yixing says while trying to get Chanyeol off of Kyungsoo.  Kyungsoo wants to be a free man again. “Chanyeol come on.”

 

“Okay...bye Kyungsoo,” Chanyeol quickly places a kiss on Kyungsoo’s cheek before unlatching himself off of Kyungsoo and leaving. Kyungsoo doesn’t think much of it He’s used to Chanyeol being like that but Jongdae thought too much about it.

 

“Why is he like that? Why do you let him do that?” Jongdae asks.

 

    Kyungsoo raises his eyebrows at Jongdae, who does he think he is. “ I don’t know. It’s just messing around...we don’t take any of these things seriously. It’s harmless.”

 

“RIght now it’s harmless but what if he catches feelings? Do you like him?”

 

“Not really. He’s cute and all but I’m not really about it.”

 

“Then you should stop being so touchy with him,” Minseok says. He’s half asleep on Kyungsoo’s bed. He’s made himself comfortable in the corner so it seems. Kyungsoo is about to ask why he cares so much but drops it instead. Him and Jongdae give each other a look before shrugging it off.

 

“Minseok I’m sleeping on your bed,” Jongdae finalizes before doing a failed cartwheel onto the elders bed, he’s drunk after all.

 

“That’s fine with me. I like Kyungsoo’s bed better.” These are Minseok’s last words before he knocks out. Kyungsoo stares in silence for a little bit because he’s still so confused. Why does Minseok care so much?

 

    He finally goes to bed after turning off all the lights and settling in his bed next to Minseok. Not going to class was a great idea and the Stranger Things marathon was an even better idea. Before officially going to sleep Kyungsoo gets closer to Minseok.

 

Did you get jealous?” Kyungsoo whispers.

 

    Instead of a response, Minseok moves over a little so that he and Kyungsoo are face to face. Kyungsoo still thinks Minseok’s asleep.


“No,” Is Minseok’s last words. They both knock out right after.