Thursdays

Roommates

The word Kyungsoo is looking for when he wakes up is something along the lines of rejuvenated. But even then that word is not cutting it for how he’s feeling, he feels born again. Just like he expected to, he knocked out and stayed knocked out long enough for his body to heal itself from the lack of sleep.

Kyungsoo checks his phone like usual and squares off his notifications. He’s surprised that he doesn’t have any messages from Jongdae, but he remembers that Jongdae has an early morning class today. There’s a few messages from Jongin, who decided that he wanted to watch Clannad: After Story instead of Hunter x Hunter, and at one point he wasn’t even typing proper words, it was just a jumble of the alphabet in all caps.

To Jongin

 @8:26am

Are you alive?

 

Kyungsoo is not expecting a reply since it’s really early for Jongin so he puts his phone down. He’s well rested but he still doesn’t feel like getting out of bed, everything is too soft. Plus it’s not too much of a demanding day. He only has two classes and one of them isn’t even classified as a class because of an incompetent professor.

Minseok is buzzing out of his sleep a couple of minutes after Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo’s eyes focus on the older male as he awakens. Minseok’s eyes open and it’s safe to say he looks well rested (and like a baby). The two roommates share eye contact for a few brief moments before Kyungsoo looks away. He never realized that Minseok had pretty eyes.

“Were you watching me sleep?” Minseok asks. Voice still raspy from sleep.

“No,” Kyungsoo sputters. “My eyes just conveniently landed on you while you were waking up.”

“You make it sound like your eyeballs fell out of your eyes and landed on me.”

“Ew,” Kyungsoo makes a face and they both start laughing.

            There’s a knock on the door and both Kyungsoo and Minseok’s head snap towards the direction of the door. Minseok opened the door last time, so it’s only fair that Kyungsoo answers it. He gets out of bed and stretches a little before he makes his way to the door.

Seokjin’s pretty face appears when Kyungsoo answers the door, no surprise. There’s always a warmness that radiates off of Seokjin that is really comforting along with the smell of strawberries. There’s been multiple occasions when Kyungsoo hugged Seokjin just to inhale his strawberry scent because it’s so sweet.

“Good morning,” Seokjin greets with a smile.

“Good morning,” Kyungsoo greets back. He turns around and motions for Minseok to come over. Minseok nods his heads and calmly collects himself before getting out of bed.

Seokjin brings his hand up to Kyungsoo’s face and his cheek a little. “You’re looking a little thin.”

“So I’ve been told,” Kyungsoo replies.

            Kyungsoo shifts from side to side as Seokjin continues to examine him closely. Sure he’s been skipping a few meals in favor of sleeping but he didn’t think he looked that thin. He still ate food, at least he thinks he’s eating the right way.

“Start eating three times a day and have a few snacks between the three main meals. You’re already small and I don’t want you to losing too much weight,” Seokjin takes his hand from Kyungsoo’s face and glances at Minseok. “Hi, nice to meet you. I’m Seokjin! I don’t think we’ve officially met.”

   Seokjin bows to Minseok and Minseok returns the action, he’s just a little confused.

“I’m Minseok,” Minseok introduces.

“I’ve been to a lot of past soccer games and practices. I know who you are,” Seokjin smiles.

   Kyungsoo notices Minseok tense up a bit when Seokjin mentions soccer but he quickly loosens up a bit.

“What’s your sign?” Seokjin questions.

“Aries.”

We’re compatible,” Seokjin mumbles under his breath. Kyungsoo catches what he said and he smirks at the older male but Minseok didn’t catch it. “Taking your inner child out for ice cream today offers you an unexpected opportunity to mend a past wound.”

            Minseok’s eyes widen and his mouth is open a little. “How did you know I had a past wound?”

“I can feel it in your energy. Also the stars tell a lot,” Seokjin answers.

            Minseok believes it completely. Kyungsoo on the other hand calls bull. Seokjin is part of the pink brigade that consists of him, Tiffany, Bora, Hara, Kibum, the RA Heechul (who has nothing else better to do), and Kyungri, of course he knows about everyone’s business.

“As for you Kyungsoo your horoscope is you feel the need to change things up in your everyday life but you’re clueless on where to begin,” Seokjin explains.

            Kyungsoo wonders if maybe Seokjin is actually someone who knows how to read the stars because that was actually dead on. He feels exposed now.

            Seokjin goes through his basket and he pulls out individually cased pastries. He gives Kyungsoo and Minseok the transparent box wrapped in a pink ribbon. Kyungsoo’s mouth waters just looking at what’s in the box, Hwangnam bread.

“Thank you,” Kyungsoo and Minseok say at the same time.

“No problem. I learned how to make them last week and now I can’t stop baking them. I hope you two enjoy them,” Seokjin says. “Is Jongin awake by any chance?”

“He binged watched an anime last night and he’s been crying for hours about it. He crashed I think,” Kyungsoo says.

“This kid…” Seokjin shakes his head. “I should make him some Jatjuk for when he wakes up. Bye you two!”

   Kyungsoo closes the door once Seokjin starts walking away. Minseok goes back to his bed and stares at the box. Kyungsoo is already tearing his box open because he’s really hungry. His stomach is not happy about the dinner he skipped.

“He’s a very nice guy,” Minseok says aloud.

Kyungsoo agrees with him.

 

            Kyungsoo and Minseok ate the homemade bread Seokjin made and they both fell in love. More so Minseok because he stated he was going to marry the bread multiples times. Kyungsoo suggested to Minseok that he marry Seokjin instead so the bread could be endless and Minseok full heartedly agreed, stating that they were going to get married by the end of the week in the park.

            Once they finished their bread they talk about useless things like their favorite types of bread and pastries before Kyungsoo announces that he has to go and take a shower. He takes his clothes and he heads off to the communal bathroom.

            Woohyun is in the shower showing off like usual. He calls Kyungsoo out in riffs. The others taking a shower hype Woohyun’s supposed riff diss but none of it is bothering Kyungsoo. He doesn’t feel like singing or battling it out with the older male. What’s the point?

Minseok is doing crunches when Kyungsoo returns from his shower. Minseok is already building up a sweat from his exercise and Kyungsoo wonders what kind of pores Minseok possesses to make him sweat so much.

“How do you manage to get so sweaty?” Kyungsoo asks.

“How do you manage to ask so many questions?” Minseok asks back once he comes up for another crunch.

“You’ve won this round,” Kyungsoo finalizes before he goes over to his bed and collects his things. Minseok a sharp tongue, a very sharp tongue. This will most definitely come in handy in the future.

From Jongin

@9:20am

I WILL NOT GO ON WITH LIFE IN THIS EMOTIONAL STATE

 

From Jongdae:

@9:31am

I’m staying in your calc class today.

 

To Jongin:

@9:34am

I know an anime that will cheer you up and make you happy. Go watch Madoka Magica

It’s cute and very heart warming.

 

To Jongdae:

@9:34am

Bring breakfast for me^^

From Jongdae:

@9:34am

Why tf are you so happy.

To Jongdae:

@9:34am

i got the sleep i deserved

 

From Jongin:

@9:35am

I saw a preview and it looks really cute! Thanks

for recommending this!

 

er,” Kyungsoo whispers to himself. Jongin will be in for a very rude awakening later on when he watches the very misleading anime. “I’m going first.”

            Minseok finally gets up from the floor and grabs a tissue from his night stand to wipe the excess sweat off of him. He nods to Kyungsoo and continues wiping the sweat off.

Kyungsoo exits the room and makes his way to his calculus class.

 

            He ends up being ten minutes late for class. Not because he left his room late but because the wonderful people of his dorm decided it was a perfect morning to have a paintball fight. Paintball guns aren’t even aloud on campus but then again this is the North Side dormitory we’re talking about. It was hard trying to avoid the paintballs but Kyungsoo got through it, it just took some time.

            His professor didn’t care about his tardiness. Professor Choi was too busy reading on his tablet to pay attention to any of the students. The only thing he assigns is problems from the workbook. If students to the work then they do it, if they don’t then he doesn’t care. Professor Choi only cares about his retirement (it’s at the end of the semester).

            Jongdae is in his usual seat by the window. He’s not actually registered for the class, he comes so often the professor just assumes he belongs there.

“Did you bring me food?” Kyungsoo asks as he pulls his seat out across from Jongdae.

His eyes light up when he sees the brown paper bag in Jongdae’s hand and the carton of orange juice. Jongdae bought hotteok from the food truck, today is just getting better and better.

“Eat up you stick,” Jongdae commands.

“We’re like the same size. What kind of self-drag,” Kyungsoo shakes his head in disapproval.

“I’m a centimeter taller than you and I weigh a little bit more. Nice try French fry,” Jongdae high fives himself for rhyming.

            Kyungsoo shoves a pancake into his mouth before responding to Jongdae. He can’t believe how good it is. He puts his pointer finger up so he can properly swallow his food. “Your waist is smaller than mine first of all. Second of all, the nurse’s measurements were off.”

“Are you two really having an argument over who’s tinier?” Sungyeol aka a tall person laughs.

            Kyungsoo and Jongdae halt there discussion to properly glare at the taller male. Rule number 1 about smaller people; only small people can talk about the small.

 

            The day progresses on at an appropriate speed. Kyungsoo’s calc professor let them leave early (he didn’t care) so Jongdae and Kyungsoo were able to bother Tao at the bubble tea stand for a good hour. Of course Tao kicked them out once Jongdae knocked over someone’s full cup of tea by accident (Jongdae says it was an accident but in reality he did it on purpose since that hateful soprano from chorus was bitter he didn’t get the solo for What If).

Once that was over Kyungsoo had to go to English class and read the stupid book.  The only thing about English that was interesting was this group that consisted of a senior named Yongguk, Yoongi, Namjoon, and Jonghyun. They would sometimes lead a group discussion which was just an excuse for them to get fake deep on each other. It’s actually very annoying after a while

Kyungsoo’s back in his dorm by three o clock with Jongdae.  They decided that it would be best to stay in Kyungsoo’s dorm so they could get good seating for the North Side Dorm’s weekly fried chicken night.

   Jongdae is sprawled across Kyungsoo’s bed on his phone while Kyungsoo quickly knocks his English homework out of the way. Kyungsoo has tuned out Jongdae's mindless rambling of articles he's looking at. Kyungsoo told Jongdae that this was not a live reading but Jongdae ignored him and continued reading aloud, if not louder than before just to make Kyungsoo annoyed.

   Minseok comes into the room around five when Kyungsoo and Jongdae are on their laptops looking at videos.

"Hey," Minseok greets them both.

"Hey," Jongdae and Kyungsoo say it at the same time.

    Minseok doesn't say anything else to them and goes to his side of the room. He starts doing something on his laptop and he doesn't acknowledge the other two. They're mostly silent, Jongdae keeps letting out small laughs as he watches his gag shows. Kyungsoo on the other hand is immersed in the Game of Thrones. He initially wanted to watch it with Jongdae but Jongdae is lazy and five episodes behind him. Slouch.

"Stop," Jongdae tells Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo is at a really good part in the episode and he keeps hitting Jongdae's arm. 

"Sorry. This part is really good. You would know the feeling if you were caught up," Kyungsoo makes sure to put emphasis on the words so Jongdae can take the hint.

  Jongdae ignores Kyungsoo and continues with his show. Something hits Kyungsoo hard, he forgot to use the bathroom today and his bladder just reminded him that it's time for him to go. Kyungsoo doesn't feel like getting up because he just got to a good part involving Cersei getting thrown in the dungeon and he needs to go to the next episode. But his bladder says no.

"I have to piss," Kyungsoo announces.

"That sounded very vulgar," Minseok comments.

"Yeah, you could have said pee...or you know nothing at all because I really don't want to know about your bodily functions." Jongdae sasses once again. Minseok nod his head in agreement.

"Shutup," Kyungsoo tells Jongdae. "I'm going to use the bathroom. Jongdae behave while I'm gone."

   And with that Kyungsoo hauls tail out of the room and to the bathroom. Leaving both Minseok and Jongdae to their own devices

  When Kyungsoo comes back after relieving himself he's suprised to find his bed vacant and Jongdae laying next to Minseok on his bed. They're both looking at something on Minseok's phone and laughing. Kyungsoo wasn't even gone for a long time, five minutes at most, and Jongdae managed to get close to Minseok. Kyungsoo's not even sure if he and Minseok are that close.

"I have a new best friend," Jongdae tells Kyungsoo. "I don't need you anymore."

“Okay,” Kyungsoo says, not at all bothered by Jongdae’s careless words. Jongdae tells him this about twice a week. He walks over to his bed and starts playing on his phone. Minseok and Jongdae are still laughing at something on Jongdae’s phone. Kyungsoo wants to know what they’re looking at but he can’t hear anything. “How did this friendship start?” he finally asks.

“Well,” Jongdae clears his throat. He tells Minseok to pause the video before he gets into details. “I was watching a cake baking tutorial aloud and the guy in the video kept saying the word I hate. Then Minseok said he hated that word too and there was an instant connection.”

“You two bonded over the word moist?” Kyungsoo asks in disbelief.

Minseok and Jongdae both cringe at the choice word. Kyungsoo rolls his eyes at the both of them because they’re a little too extra. Sure the word was extremely gross but it didn’t bother him that much.

“Don’t say it again,” Jongdae says. “But we said we hated that word. Then Minseok asked what I was watching and I said cake videos. Then I asked if he wanted to watch diy videos with me and he said sure. Then you came and here we are.”

Kyungsoo doesn’t say anything else to Jongdae or Minseok. He’s only a tad jealous that Jongdae has better social skills than him and is capable of getting close to people five times faster than him. He goes back to his episode of Game of Thrones and let’s himself get engulfed in the show once again, But…

There’s a knock on the door.

“I got it,” Kyungsoo speaks though he’s sure no one else was going to get up and answer the door anyway.

He opens the door and is not surprised to see Chanyeol, but he’s a little surprised to see Yixing. The roommates are barely together because of different schedules. But when they are together it’s such a nice bromance filled with guitar playing and good vibes.

“All you three need is four more short people and a pretty girl and you’ll be living your own fairy tale,” Chanyeol jokes.

Yixing stifles a small laugh but Kyungsoo’s not beat. Neither is Jongdae or Minseok, who had stopped looking at their video.

“Don’t you have your own fairy tales to live? There’s a bean stalk just around the corner you giant,” Jongdae replies almost instantly.

Kyungsoo and Minseok find this joke funny and they start laughing out loud, Yixing too.

“Anyways,” Chanyeol changes the subject. “Are you coming down to dining hall? They’re serving the chicken in about 15 minutes and we have to get a good table.”

“Go ahead and find us a table. I think it’s going to be a lot of us today so get a big table. Lay your whole body across the table if you have to,” Kyungsoo instructs. Seating is very important especially on nights like these.

“We got it all covered,” Yixing speaks up. “We’ll see you all in a little bit.”

Chanyeol and Yixing do end up stretching their limbs across the table in order to save a spot. More than a few individuals were angry at the males taking up space, but of course Kyungsoo appreciated that they listened. The table space was needed; they had quite a few people in their group tonight.

Usually on nights like these it’s only Kyungsoo and Jongdae. Sometimes Chanyeol or Tao or anyone in their chorus clique if they’re available. Tonight it’s Kyungsoo, Jongdae, Chanyeol, Yixing, Sehun, Tao, Krystal, Junmyeon, Hani, Moonbyul, and even Minseok. Kyungsoo had asked Minseok if he was coming with them and Minseok agreed to Kyungsoo’s delight.

The whole group is talking at the big table in the center of the eating hall waiting just like everyone else for the man to announce that the chicken is ready to be served.

   Kyungsoo trying to help Jongdae list the choice drinks of everyone on his phone when he feels pair of hands push him completely off the chair and onto the cold hard floor. He’s beyond pissed at this moment because who is bold enough to push him but when he sees Jongin staring down at him looking hurt he busts out laughing.

“Stop laughing you traitor!” Jongin yells.

Jongin doesn’t look well at all. His eyes are kind of red, his unkempt hair is hidden beneath a black snapback and he has a 5 o’ clock shadow. Oh the downfalls of being a full time weeb.

“What happened?” Jongdae asks on behalf of everyone who would like to know what the hell that hard push was for.

“He was sad from watching some angst anime so I suggested he watch Madoka Magica to cheer him up,” Kyungsoo explains once he stops laughing. He brushes himself off as he gets up and places a hand on Jongin’s shoulder. “I’m guessing he watched the whole thing.”

      Jongin slaps Kyungsoo’s hand off his shoulder and walks over the other side of the table with a pout. Jongin takes seat in between Krystal and Moonbyul and he properly lets the tears start falling down his cheeks again as he recalls what he had just watched an a couple hours ago. 'Madoka just...stopped existing. That wasn't right" At this point Jongin is sobbing. Moonbyul has her arm around Jongin and she's trying her best to console him. But she knows the feeling, they all did.

"I cried like I lost someone personally when Mami got killed," Junmyeon says and the whole table agrees at the same time.

"You guys are all a hopeless bunch of weebs," Krystal says half joking but actually half serious.

"I have to agree," Kyungsoo speaks.

"Don't be fake Kyungsoo. We all know damn well that you cried over that tennis anime." And just like that Jongdae exposed Kyungsoo and had the whole table laughing at him. Jongin stopped wallowing in his own self pity to laugh at Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo is somewhat embaressed but he doesn't care because it was a sad anime. Minseok is the only one who pats Kyungsoo on the back as a display of sympathy.

"I cried too," Minseok half whispers to Kyungsoo once he sits down next to him.

 

      The dinner went really good. Everyone in the group got to catch up with one another and overall it was an enjoyable time. Jongin only stayed sad for a couple of minutes and his spirits lifted in an instant once he saw the beautiful golden brown chicken. The RA and about a dozen others brought the beer as promised and it made everything even better.

   Kyungsoo was afraid that Minseok would keep to himself at the dinner but Minseok warmed up to the group pretty quickly. Of course he didn't talk unless someone asked him something or talked to him first but he did do well with keeping a conversation going. Kyungsoo got to learn about Minseok even more, as they ate and drank. Minseok talked to him 85% of the time and to the others for the remainder. Kyungsoo found out about Minseok's high school years (which wasn't that interesting in all honesty), the time Minseok got dared to dye his hair pink, and even about his obsession for coffee.

   Kyungsoo got to Minseok about himself too and all of his favorite things. Minseok tried to make him sing when Kyungsoo told Minseok he sings, but Kyungsoo said no. Not because he didn't want to but because Jongdae would try to outshine him the moment he sings a note. Minseok was slightly dissapointed but they continued talking.

    Once everyone was finshed with their food they all went outside the commons and to the small field to continue hanging out. Krystal and Moonbyul had to leave early because they both had to study for some upcoming quiz but the rest of them stayed together. Chanyeol and Yixing pulled out their guitars (typical guitar heads) and played for the remainder of the night. 

    "So, are they in love with each other?" Minseok whispers to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo looks around at where Minseok has his gaze fixed on and he sees Jongdae and Junmyeon talking close to one another. Jongdae is laughing at something Junmyeon said and his ears are slightly pink.

"I don't know. Jongdae's difficult," Kyungsoo answers.

  They stay silent for a little while. Yixing is singing along to the melody he's strumming and it sounds angelic. The melody sets  a calming mood with the night scenery. The pretty white lights in the commons are illuminating down the garden path all the way to Hallowvale Square and the moon is full and bright. There's a few other people on the lawn of the commons enjoying the fresh air and the cool breeze.

    Minseok scoots himself closer to Kyungsoo. "Thank you for inviting me," Minseok says once he's close enough.

"No problem. We did say we should be closer right?" Kyungsoo smiles. Minseok smiles back at him and he lightly punches the younger's shoulder. They continue to talk for the remainder of the night. 

 

    Kyungsoo isn't sure when he said it was okay for Jongdae to sleep over. Jongdae said he only came to pick up his bookbag. Kyungsoo knows getting a bookbag doesn't mean going into his closet and stealing his pajamas before stretching out on his bed and falling asleep. Kyungsoo wouldn't mind if he had space to stretch out on his bed, but he doesn't. Jongdae is sleeping in a diagnal position, meaning no left over space. Great.

"Maybe you can move him?" Minseok suggests once he comes back from the bathroom and see's the small problem.

"He might look really sweet when he's asleep," Kyungsoo points out. Jongdae is in fact cuddling one of his pillows like a baby. "But he's very violent about his sleep. I'm not moving him unless I want to get punched in the face by him...and I don't."

"So where are you going to sleep?" 

"Probably on the floor. I have a sleeping bag somewhere in that closet."

"I'll save you some time. You can sleep in my bed if you want."

"And where will you sleep?"

"On the same bed?" Minseok laughs. "I don't really mind if you sleep on my bed. We're friends."

   Kyungsoo is a little hesitant but he eventually agrees. All they're doing is sleeping, it's not like there's going to be cuddling or hugging or anything of the sort. They both get situated with Minseok laying closer to the wall and Kyungsoo lying on Minseok's left. They're both pretty small so it's quite roomy on the twin sized bed. Minseok's covers are extremely comfortable and he has the princess blanket draped around the both of them.

"I hope you don't mind but I sometimes kick the covers off of me," Minseok confesses.

"So that's why I always see you half covered whenever I come in," Kyungsoo says.

"Yeah...but you always put the covers back on me. Thanks," Minseok finalizes before he turns his head towards the wall. "Goodnight Kyungsoo."

"Goodnight," Kyungsoo replies. He turns off Minseok's lamp and rests his head back on the pillow. Today was a good day overall and he wishes for more days like this one in the future. He finally shuts his eyes and he lets himself drift off into a good night's sleep.


      I know it said the story updated yesterday and I'm so sorry for that. I accidentally unpressed the hide chapter button but I finished it now. I hope no one was upset~ SO yeah...here's the chapter! College still kind of but it's all good. Please share your thoughts and comments if you'd like ^^