No Intros

Roommates

     Kyungsoo hasn't talked to Minseok ever since they greeted each other with a hand shake. It's not like Kyungsoo is anti-social, he just doesn't know how to take on conversations with complete strangers. Conversations are weird and they vary a lot depending on who you're talking to. Kyungsoo knows nothing about Minseok except for the fact that he's short just like him and has really nice eyebrows. So he doesn't know if the guy will lock him out of his their room if he mentions something about Capitalism destroying all political  structures.

  Which Kyungsoo's sure this Minseok guy wouldn't do...but then again he doesn't know him or his standpoint on politics.

But this whole conversation setup, it's a two way thing. If Minseok is really interested in becoming close then he would offer to start a conversation, Kyungsoo thinks to himself. Minseok could start off with a "we're going to live with each other for six months, what's up?" or a "hey I see you have a really nice pen on your desk you should let me borrow that," or even a simple "what kind of music do you like?"--Really anything is possible but nothing is happening. Kyungsoo and Minseok are completely quiet and of course Kyungsoo is contemplating if Minseok is the type of person to give borrowed things back, he really likes his pen.

  Instead of conversing with Minseok, Kyungsoo chooses to observe him first since he'll be living with him for awhile. Kyungsoo considers himself to be a master at observation. He can pick up things in a heartbeat just by looking at someone and analyzing their body language. Like the time when he suspected Sehun and Tao were in an intimate relationship with each other. No one knew they were a thing while Kyungsoo saw it from a mile away the moment Sehun and Tao decided to go to study hall together every Friday night.

   He's 20 minutes into his observation and he's already gathered a few facts and hypothesis about Minseok. So far Minseok seems like a tidy guy; he placed all of his sneakers inside a shoe holder that slid neatly under his bed minus the pair of black slippers he left out. Minseok has also placed his clothes and luggage neatly in their shared closet, and he also put his toiletries neatly in his night stand drawer. Everything he did looked neat and it made Kyungsoo conscience about his stray candy wrapper on his desk.

"Thank goodness he's tidy," Kyungsoo whispers to himself. He tenses up when Minseok stopped what he was doing to look at him, he must've heard.

"Do you have a pen I could borrow?" Minseok asks.

"The prophecy," Kyungsoo mumbles lowly. He's now currently thinking about dropping out of college to become an aspiring fortune teller. Biological Engineering major be damned.

"Huh?"

"Uhh, there's a pen on my desk."

"Thanks," Minseok says as he walks over to Kyungsoo's desk. Kyungsoo eyes Minseok warily as Minseok scans his desk. If Minseok makes one small move and messes up something on his desk then Kyungsoo might just dislike him. But, Minseok grabs the pen and even throws away the empty candy wrapper.

He's a good roommate so far.

 

It takes Minseok almost an hour to get completely settled into their shared room. Kyungsoo was watching him at first but then he decided that he would be creepy if he stared too long so he went back to highlighting his Anatomy notes.

  Minseok is really quiet, more quiet than Kyungsoo and this is foreign to Kyungsoo. His previous roommate never shut his mouth. He talked continuously about nothing important and parties, his old roommate loved parties so much, too much. The only sounds Kyungsoo has heard from Minseok besides him asking for a pen (which he broke) and apologizing was Minseok's quiet hums. It wasn't an obnoxious hum, more soothing and easy on the ears. So Kyungsoo didn't mind it much.

Kyungsoo finishes highlighting his notes and decides that he'll start his paper later on tonight when he's filled with terrible coffee and jolly ranchers to keep him awake. Minseok has finished packing and is laying on his bed that took him almost 10 minutes to make. He's on his phone scrolling down something. It's still quiet between the two and the only noise is the screaming and laughing from outside; Ah the North Side melodies.

"I hope you're not the type that gets distracted easily. It's always loud here," Kyungsoo says. He thought it would only be fair to warn Minseok of the madness that goes on on this side of campus.

"I'm used to loud atmospheres," Minseok replies still scrolling on his phone.

  Minseok doesn't take the initiative to continue the conversation. Kyungsoo wants ask the guy more questions like what his major is, or what year he's in, or how does he get his hair to look so nice pushed back, but he doesn't want to be the annoying roommate. Damn Byun Baekhyun for rubbing his annoying like tendencies off on him.

"What year are you in?" Kyungsoo asks, screw titles.

"I'm in my last year," Minseok puts down his phone to answer Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo thinks that's a kind gesture since he thinks it's really rude to talk while looking at a phone. He's also thrown off by Minseok's age. Minseok looks like he can't even get into an movie let alone a club. This is witchcraft.

"Don't people in your year usually have off campus houses?"

"I was never interested in that off campus living. The houses around here have ridiculous rent," Minseok complains. Capitalism, Kyungsoo thinks to himself.

"Then you were living in the dorms?"

"You ask a lot of questions," Minseok remarks making Kyungsoo feel bad. He didn't mean to be so curious. "But to answer your question. Yeah I was dorming at the West Side dormitory."

"What made you change from such a nice dormitory to this piece of dormitory?"

"It's kind of awkward living with your ex in the same room you know? I had to break free even if that meant getting placed in the tiest dormitory on campus."

"Hey it's not that bad," Kyungsoo says. The corner of Minseok's mouth curves upward and it's refreshing to see instead of the poker face. "Also I didn't know they allowed co-ed rooming."

"They don't."

"Oh..." Kyungsoo' feels the heat rushing to his ears. He doesn't miss the eye roll from Minseok before the elder decided to go back to his phone.

  Kyungsoo thinks the small conversation he and Minseok had will be the only conversation he and Minseok will ever have. Minseok probably hates him for responding the way he did to his uality. It wasn't that Kyungsoo was digusted by it, he's gay himself for peeps sake. He just didn't expect it. There's a lot of people on the campus and not a lot of them are gay. Kyungsoo just happens to know quite a few openly gay people, now Minseok is on that list.

Minseok doesn't stay for long after they talked. He told Kyungsoo that he'd be back later before putting his  blue hoodie on and leaving the room. Kyungsoo was left to do absolutely nothing but feel bad. He honestly didn't mean to offend Minseok, but it happened and he feels terrible.

Kyungsoo grabs his phone and clicks the call button on the cheeky icon he has dedicated to his friend.

"I could have been having a moment and you would have ruined it. Why is your call tone for my phone  you screaming?"

"Um, hello?"

"What do you want from me?"

"I got to tell you something Jongdae  so stop being a and meet me at Hallowvale square in 20 minutes."

"Ugh you just want my allergies to act up,

 Jongdae hangs up the phone before Kyungsoo tries to change the location. Jongdae's like a sour patch kid; sour at first but then he's sweet. Really really sweet it's almost sickening.

Kyungsoo shoves his phone in his pocket and gets up to go to his closet, well his and Minseok's closet. It's different to see the closet completely full. Kyungsoo is used to it being half empty since he did not have that many clothing items to take the space up. Minseok doesn't have a wide variety of clothes either. He has enough to get him through a couple of weeks without worrying so it seems. 

  Minseok also has a little pile of stuffed animals on the closet floor and a rolled up poster. Kyungsoo wants to know what's on the poster and where the cute stuffed bunny came from but that's nosy. He's already gotten on Minseok's bad side, going through his stuff won't help make it better.

Kyungsoo shakes his head and gets out his red hoodie before leaving his room. 

   He contemplates right outside his room for a couple of seconds. Kyungsoo's not sure if Minseok got his room key yet. Their RA is really slow when it some to things like this. It took nearly a week for Kyungsoo to get his new room key after he dropped the key in a bond fire. A week of living with Jongdae and no proper school supplies; it was hell. 

Kyungsoo crosses his fingers and hopes that Minseok did have a key to get in if he was locked out. Just as he's about to head over to Hallowvale square the door next to him opens. One of Kyungsoo's neighbor emerges from the dark artistic void called his room. He's an interesting character. He has tattoo sleeves on both his arms; Kyungsoo once went into the guy's room and looked at all his tattoos. He couldn't pick a favorite because they are all signficant. The guy is also laid back, never stands up straight and lets the world slant with him. He smiled all the time and played nice guitar melodies at night.

"Hey," The guy says.

"Hey Chanyeol," Kyungsoo replies. "What song are you playing tonight?"

"A song that shows how strong my love for you is," Chanyeol smirks.

  Kyungsoo scoffs but he doesn't move when Chanyeol pulls him close to him. He can smell the sweet scent of Chanyeol's cologne mixed with the smell of cigarettes on Chanyeol's leather jacket. They walk down the hallway together in silence until Chanyeol parts way with Kyungsoo at the front entrance.

"Have  fun at your band practice," Kyungsoo says. "and don't get too high"

"I told you  I only get high on special occasions," Chanyeol smiles his charming smile. "I promise I won't get high if you kiss me on the cheek."

"Nice try," Kyungsoo laughs. He doesn't kiss Chanyeol on the cheek directly but when Chanyeol gives a puppy pout Kyungsoo kisses his finger and pokes it on Chanyeol's cheek. "Bye."

 

  Kyungsoo finds Jongdae sitting on their favorite bench blowing his nose violentlly. Spring time is a nice season, everything is blooming and pretty, just not the people with allergies. Like Jongdae. Kyungsoo tries to give Jongdae a wave but Jongdae gives him the middle finger.

"You didn't want to meet at a freaking cafe? I'm dying here," Jongdae whines. 

"I thought you could use the fresh air," Kyungsoo says.

They both get completely silent and stare at each other. Jongdae is giving Kyungsoo death glares through his pink watery eyes. Kyungsoo takes his seat next to Jongdae and hands him the allergy medicine from his pocket. Jongdae nearly suffocates Kyungsoo with his bear hug.

"Thank you!" Jongdae squeals.

"How about you just buy your own medicine if you're suffering that bad."

"No," Jongdae scoffs. "The cheapest bottle is almost six dollars I'm not stupid enough to buy it."

"So I'm stupid?"

"Well if the shoe fits," Jongdae teases. Kyungsoo hits Jongdae but they end up sharing a laugh.

 

  Since Jongdae almost died outside they didn't have that much time to talk. Kyungsoo had to drag Jongdae to the South Wing cafeteria with promises of buying him good pasta so Jongdae wouldn't die of an allergy attack.  Jongdae had taken the pills and now they're seated at one of the two people tables in the center of the  lunch room. Everyone on campus loved the south cafeteria since it had the best food and the only one with a Starbucks. It's difficult to find a spot most of the time so Kyungsoo and Jongdae got lucky.

"Now since I'm not dying...what did you want to tell me?" Jongdae asks before he puts a spoon full of pasta in his mouth. 

"Oh right!" Kyungsoo snaps his fingers. "I got a new roommate."

"Woah. During this time?"

"Yeah, that's what I was saying. He apparently had a bad breakup and moved from the west side to the north side."

"That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard," Jongdae shakes his head, curly hair moving along with his head. Kyungsoo has to agree. The west side is the newest building on the campus. The rooms are bigger than any of the other dorms and there's a huge lounge area within the dorm that all the students wish to hang out but only the ones in the west side can go in. Also the west side dorms have central are while the crappy north side dorms have barely working ceiling fans.

"That's what I said. He doesn't like me though," Kyungsoo admits.

"What did you do now?"

"I asked him a lot of questions and said a neutral response when he told me his uality," Kyungsoo stuffs his face with spaghetti.

"You're a mess."

 

  It's kind of late when Kyungsoo comes back to his and Minseok's room. He and Jongdae had eaten and went back to Jongdae's room to watch terrible movies on Netflix. It was a cheap past time and Jongdae's mom had sent him really good rice cakes as per usual so it made everything even better. Kyungsoo left in the middle of Rubber when he remembered he had a five page report due before 7 am. He gave Jongdae and his roommate Junmyeon a farewell.

He guesses Minseok isn't locked out of the room when he doesn't find him waiting outside in the hall. If Minseok was locked out he wouldn't be bored in the hallway. There's a hockey match going on in the halls against dorm room B and I. Winner gets bragging rights while the loser gets a drawn on their door in permanant marker. Those watching got free booze and a good time. 

 Kyungsoo opens the door without disrupting the game (apparently room I was winning by 2 points) and finds Minseok fast asleep. He tries his hardest not to make too much noise as he walks over to his desk and unplugs his laptop. There's a pack of cute pens on Kyungsoo's desk, a pack of pens he didn't buy. There's a pink sticky note on the pens

I'm sorry for breaking the pen. Here's a whole pack.

p.s: Lets become close roommates - Minseok

   Kyungsoo looks over at Minseok's bed and smiles a little. Minseok is only half covered in his covers so Kyungsoo can see his face clearly. Minseok's bangs are down and covering his forehead which make him look even younger that before, and cuter. His breaths are slow as he lightly snores. 

   It's a quiet night as Kyungsoo types out his report on his laptop. He's comfortable in his pajamas and he's able to get his words out on paper for once. He turned down his brightness so Minseok wouldn't wake up from him sleep but the light still projected a dim blue throughout the entire room.

 Although Kyungsoo was against having a roommate earlier, he does enjoy the company now. Knowing that he's not alone in the room is comforting even if that person doesn't like him that much. Minseok could be his go to friend if they're both up at 3 in the morning and they decide that brownies from the convenient store off campus sound really good and they want those brownies. It might be far fetched but it's worth imagining.

"What the hell," Minseok groans out. He squints his eyes at Kyungsoo before looking at his wall. "What is that sound?"

"The person in room J is a playboy and he brings home any girl or guy he likes for a night. Looks like tonights victim is loud in bed," Kyungsoo answers not taking his eyes off his laptop.

"You have to deal with this?"

"Well no...I usually put on music to shut out the moans or I listen to Chanyeol."

"Who's Chanyeol?"

   Before Kyungsoo can answer Minseok the sound of an acoustic guitar strumming a chord can be heard. It's not really loud but Kyungsoo can hear it. He looks over at Minseok who still has a very confused face that's all scrunched up because he just woke up.  Chanyeol doesn't tune the guitar and goes straight to playing the song.

"That's Chanyeol playing the guitar. He's really good and his songs take your mind off of what's going on in the other room," Kyungsoo puts his laptop down. He's only two pages in but Chanyeol's music is a big distraction. The melody is soft and calming and it sounds like a love song. He guesses Chanyeol wasn't lying when he said he'd play his love out.

"He sounds nice but I still hear the rabbits next door."

"Come sit on my bed. You'll hear it better," Kyungsoo invites Minseok. Minseok doesn't move for a moment but he eventually gets up and drags his way over to Kyungsoo. He takes a seat next to Kyungsoo and places his head against the cool wall. Kyungsoo notices Minseok's shoulder tense up from his skin not covered by his tank top touching the wall. He want to share his blanket with Minseok but that's doing the most for someone he barely knows.

  Minseok still has his eyes closed as he listens to Chanyeol playing the guitar. The light from Kyungsoo's laptop is flashing on him and his side profile looks really nice, almost ethereal. The notes come together and serenade the roommates and whoever is outside's ears. The outside noise quiets down when Chanyeol plays.

Kyungsoo follows Minseok and leans his head against the wall. Listening to Chanyeol play is fun but listening to it with a roommate is even better.

"He's good," Minseok comments.

"The moment the door opens the world I knew and a different place spread," Chanyeol sings out. 

"Woah. He's good." Minseok says again. Kyungsoo hasto hold back his laugh but again he couldn't disagree. Chanyeol is good but this roommate thing is even better.


It takes me forever to write omg I'm so sorry. But Chanyeol was playing Love Love Love (acoustic version) and both Minseok and Kyungsoo fell in love with it hehe. Please give this story lots of love~