Pain (literally)

My mistake

Wanting to get as far away from her as possible, Yuri started to run down the hallway.  Turning a corner without slowing down, she ran right into a girl walking in the opposite direction.

“Aiyeeeee,” the girl yelped in surprise as she fell backward with Yuri following after her.

They both hit the ground hard.  Feeling the full weight of Yuri on top of her, the girl tried to speak, but could only manage a few high pitched squeaks. 

“What the hell?” Yuri groaned as she tried to stand up.  She placed her hands on the floor for support, flanking the girl’s head.  It was only then that she realized someone was under her.  As she looked down, she saw a young girl with a mortified look on her face. 

With wide eyes, the girl shouted, “Yuri Sunbaenim!”

“Ha..young?” Yuri said slowly, her eyes trying to focus on the face that was mere inches from her own.  Hayoung’s body stiffened when she heard Yuri say her name.

“Sunbae...I….,” she turned her head as she felt her face grow hot from the close proximity.  Equally surprised, Yuri shifted her weight, unintentionally pressing her body into the other girl.  Hayoung winced in pain as she blushed from the contact.

Yuri noticed she was hurt and immediately got up, helping Hayoung to her feet.

Replaying what happened only moments ago, she realized she had slammed into the other girl who ended up taking the brunt of the fall.

“Hayoung…I…” Yuri began to apologize when the younger girl suddenly bowed causing a sharp pain to run up her spine. 

“Forgive me,” she struggled to say.  “I wasn’t watching where I was going and-” before she could finish, she felt Yuri’s hands on her shoulders, causing her to raise her head. 

“No, it was my fault,” Yuri said in a soft tone.  “I was in such a hurry that I didn’t think of slowing down.”  As their eyes finally met, Yuri noticed Hayoung wince in pain again.

“Are you hurt?” Yuri asked, showing genuine concern.  Hayoung felt a surge of happiness at the thought that Yuri really cared about her.  She wanted to say she was okay, but the pain was too great to hide.

“My back….,” she started.  “I must have landed on it.  It’s really not as bad as it seems,” she said with a barely convincing smile.

“I take full responsibility.  This wouldn’t have happened if I wasn’t so careless.  Let’s find a place we can go to take a look at your back.”  Yuri smiled and Hayoung nearly forgot about her pain.      

---------------

After being met with locked doors, Yuri finally found one that was open.  With her arm wrapped around Hayoung’s waist and hers around Yuri’s neck, the two slowly made their way to a nearby couch. 

“This place will have to do,” Yuri said as she scanned the room before turning back to face Hayoung.  Without hesitation, she commanded, “Lift up your shirt.”

Blushing furiously, Hayoung automatically covered her chest with her hands as if the blouse she was wearing had suddenly disappeared.

“I-I think I’m c-c-capable of looking at it myself,” Hayoung stuttered.

“I know you’re capable of doing just that, but I don’t see how you would be able to without a mirror,” Yuri replied with a chuckle.

Hayoung quickly looked around the room.  “I thought I saw one earlier….” she said to herself.  When she realized Yuri was right, she closed her eyes and let out a long exhale as if preparing for what was to come.  With her back now throbbing, she realized that someone should take a look at it.  It was just her luck that out of all the ‘someones’ in the world, it turned out to be the one person she had the biggest secret crush on.   

As if conceding to a losing battle, Hayoung closed her eyes and extended her arms out as if surrendering her body to Yuri.

Surprised by Hayoung’s actions, Yuri sat there unblinking before breaking the silence that began to fill the room.

“Well, ummm when I asked to see your back, I didn’t mean I would be undressing you.  If you feel uncomfortable, you can just turn around and lift up your blouse.”  Yuri couldn’t help but smile at the cute actions of the younger girl.

More than embarrassed, Hayoung quickly opened her eyes and lowered her arms.  “Oh, right.  I’ll turn around now,” she said mentally kicking herself for being such a dork.

As she lifted her blouse, Yuri bit her lip as she saw some bruises had already formed at random places on Hayoung’s back.

“Is it bad?” she asked after Yuri didn’t say anything.

“There’s some bruising,” she said slowly.  “Wait here, I’ll go look for some ice and a medical kit.  I think I saw one in the lobby.”

As Yuri opened the door, she stopped and turned around.  “You’ll be fine.  I’ll be back before you know it,” she said with a reassuring smile.