Regret

My mistake

“Hey, what took you so lo- WOW,” Yuri blurted out in surprise.  Her breath hitched as she watched a real life goddess enter the room.

Tiffany stopped abruptly. 

“Oh my god, what is it?  Is there something wrong with my face?” With a worried look, she started to feel around for anything foreign.

“Oh no, I didn’t mean it like that.  It was just that, I ummm,” Yuri looked down, shuffling her feet as she tried to think of an excuse.   

“Your dress!” she said as she looked up.  It looks much uhh lacier in person….yeah, that’s what I meant…” Yuri forced a laugh. 

Not giving it a second thought, Tiffany shrugged it off and spun around.  “Very wedding like, don’t you think?” she said as she flashed one of her signature eye smiles. 

“Marry me….” Yuri whispered under her breath before adding, “couldn’t agree with you more!” she said quite loudly, whacking Tiffany on the arm. 

Met with a puzzled look, Yuri quickly changed the subject.

“So, why did you text me to meet you here?  I thought we were all going out for drinks to celebrate TTS’ comeback,” Yuri said as she plopped down on a chair pretending to check her phone. 

 “Well, I just wanted to tell you….hey, are those from you?” Tiffany motioned behind Yuri to a vase of pink roses sitting on a table.

“Oh.  That.  It’s from me but I think you should wait-” Before Yuri could finish, Tiffany had breezed past her and was already reading the message written on the card. 

Yuri studied Tiffany’s face, trying to gauge her reaction.  Her face was stoic; Yuri didn’t know what to think.  If Tiffany was a poker player, she would be the ultimate champion.

Before Yuri could explain, Tiffany spoke first.

“I…I..don’t know what to say.” 

As Tiffany met her gaze, Yuri noticed her eyes were a little hazy. 

“Yuri….I…I have a boyfriend, you know that,” she said almost in a whisper. 

Her heart sank the moment she heard those words.  She knew better; Tiffany was already in a relationship, but she just couldn’t keep her feelings hidden any longer.  Between touring, fan meetings, and music show appearances to recording sessions and dance rehearsals for TTS, Yuri felt like she kept missing the opportunity to tell Tiffany how she really felt about her.  

“I know…it’s just that I…all these years, there never seemed to be a right time.  And then one day, you were in a relationship.”  She broke eye contact, overwhelmed by the sting of tears welling up.  

“Yuri…” Tiffany took a step forward wanting to embrace the other girl.

“No,” Yuri said as she took step back.  Looking at the ground, she continued, “I better go.  Congratulations on your comeback.  I’m happy for you, really.”  As she turned to leave, Tiffany shouted out in desperation.

“Yuri, wait!  Are you still coming tonight?  I can tell him not to come….” Tiffany said quietly as if she knew Yuri was thinking the same thing.

“No, he should be there.  Don’t worry about me.  I’ll be there…” With that Yuri left the room, closing the door behind her. 

Confused and overwhelmed with emotion, Tiffany collapsed into the chair next to her.  She tightened the grip on the card as she continued to stare at the spot where her best friend stood only moments ago. 

“Yuri.  I’m sorry…”

------------------------------

A/N:  Short chapter, I know.  Not much happened so far, but it should get interesting in the next chapter when Hayoung enters the picture and sweetness ensues. Just a heads up, this will be a short (but multi chapter) fic so things will progress fairly quickly.  =)