Chapter 2 - The Break Up

My thoughts, Your memories

Author's note: The story for now in going in a fast pace, the timeline is like that because the events being said are also occuring in a span of few months. If you have any queries about the story please feel free to ask me.


December, 2011

 

To say Sungmin was not disappointed would be a lie. Siwon liked her, at least that part seemed true, but he was not the boyfriend of Sungmin’s dreams. Most of the time, he was like a baby, whining at her to get his things done. They did have their "moments" or moment to be exact.

 

Their first date together was spend with Donghae and Hyukjae. They did not yet had the guts to go alone, and Donghae and Hyukjae were more than happy to tag along. They went to a coffee shop, brought a few snacks and just chatted. It was a nice date, but the girls had to return to the dorm by 6.30. It was late, so they decided to catch a ride since no buses were there in the vicinity.

 

After a few more minutes of waiting, they finally got one. It was a small car, and they were practically squeezing each other. Siwon was at one end, Sungmin next, followed by Donghae and Hyukjae. Donghae and Hyukjae made themselves comfortable resulting in the others being more squeezed to each other. Sungmin felt a blush creeping in; it was the first time she was so close to a boy, and the fact that the said boy was staring intently at her.

 

She decided it would be best to look anywhere other than Siwon's face right now. The window was down and a strong wind was blowing. It disheveled her hair, sending it all over her face. She mentally cursed herself for letting her hair loose; she liked it that way, but now it was a menace. Before she could react, she felt a hand on her face. Siwon was carefully arranging her hair. When he had finished tucking the last strand behind her ear, he looked at her and smiled. Sungmin was sure her cheeks were red, and she had to admit the guy had a killer smile.

 

Happy moment aside, Siwon practically annoyed her. Too many occasions to count actually. There was this one time in a tour when he bought a lollipop. Sungmin forgave the fact that he did not buy one for her, but what kind of boyfriend does not share a sweet with his girlfriend? When she asked him, he just shrugged. Yunho found this exchange funny, and followed it with the remark, ‘Not very romantic, is he?’ then chuckled. Sungmin glared at him, but that was not the reason Yunho stopped. He saw the sad glint in her eyes and felt bad.

 

Speaking about Yunho, he was someone who in the short few months they had met had become like an elder brother to her. Yunho lost a few years in between owing to an illness and thus they were in same class. He was one of the people who Sungmin hanged out with along with Donghae and Hyukjae and he almost knew her as well as Donghae did.

 

Days passed and things were not getting any better. Sungmin felt her boyfriend was getting tired of her; he rarely spared her glances and spent his time hanging out with his friends rather than her. Min was not one to complain; she just took it in stride. After all, it was her decision to be his girlfriend.

 

Inter class competitions came up about two months since their entry into college. Sungmin was surprised at the amount of talent her classmates had. There was this one girl called Seohyun who proved to be a great dancer, and Key another close friend of her who excelled in the English speaking competitions. And then there was Cho Kyuhyun, the quiet lean guy who hanged out with Yunho and Hyukjae, nobody  had guessed it the guy turned out to be the best singer in their class.

 

Sungmin was also surprised with herself. She got the first prize for English poetry writing competition, while a guy named Kangin had got first for short story. Kangin was a sunbae in their college. Sungmin was acquainted with him, nothing more.

 

Thus, she was quite surprised to see an email from him when she opened her account the next day. He had sent her copies of his short story. It was clear that he had taken it before he had given it for evaluation. Her eyes bulged as she read on; the story was like a love confession. It was about her, and he had even dared to use her name apart from the quite clear description of her face. To think that this would be passing through the hands of her teachers was not a happy thought.

 

"What is it Min? Why are you glaring at the computer?" Key asked. Donghae who was sitting on her other side turned to her as she heard the question.

 

They both turned to the screen. Sungmin did not try to hide. After all, Hae was her best friend, and Key was someone she trusted. Key and Min had felt an instant sibling attraction when they met. Both of them were the only child of their respective parents. In addition, it was not late before Key announced to everyone that Min was his ‘sister’.

 

Like Min, they were both glaring at the screen, but soon they were chuckling. ‘Min, looks like somebody else loves you too…’

‘Shut up you two. How dare he write something like this’

 

Min made it clear to everyone that she disliked Kangin to the core, but there was something else. She could not deny the fact the man wrote it beautifully. He had described her well, love emitting from each word, and that was new to her.

 

The guy didn’t stop with the email though, he pestered her with calls. She rejected him even before he could ask and now he wanted to know why. Sungmin thought about telling him about Siwon, but what would Siwon say. He made it clear that he wanted to keep their relationship a secret. The other thing that frightened her was that Kangin was quite friendly with the teachers. What if for revenge, he tells one of them about her affair, and what if they tell her parents? She could not let that happen.

 

‘Sunbae, how many times do I have to tell you? I can’t love you, please stop bothering me’, Sungmin said. Kangin had been calling multiple times, and she wanted to end it for once.

 

‘But why? At least give me a chance. You have to give me a reason, not the 'I don’t like you' and all that crap, I want a solid reason.’

 

Sungmin hesitated a moment before replying, ‘I love someone else, I have a boyfriend.’

 

‘You are lying are you not? ’

 

‘No I’m not.’

 

‘Then tell me who he is. ’

 

‘Why would I tell you? It is none of your business.’

 

‘I wouldn’t believe you then. ’

 

Sungmin ended the call; there was nothing more to say.

 

The next day it was the lunch interval when her phone beeped.

 

In the library, section 4-D, inside a textbook of zoology is a letter for you. I will be waiting for your reply. – Kangin.

 

‘Hae!’ Sungmin was screaming as she pushed open the door to her classroom.

 

Hae was startled, but was quick to be at her side. ‘What is it Min?’ she inquired.

 

‘I need you to come with me to the library quick.’ Min explained the rest on the way.

 

After some frantic searching, they finally found it. It was another love confession. He had written that he believes Min had lied to him and that she has no boyfriend. He also wrote about his overwhelming love and how he would sacrifice everything for her.

 

‘You know Min, it is time we tell the others. This person is seriously crossing boundaries. The college library? Who does he think he is? ’ Hae told Min, who was thinking the same thing.

 

Hae called Hyukjae, while Min called Yunho and Siwon. They called for an urgent meeting. When they came, Sungmin explained everything to them. They were sitting in the garden. Sungmin and Yunho were on the bench while others seated on the grass. Yunho was going through the letter, as Sungmin watched.

 

He folded the letter and let out a few curses. ‘Is that guy really dumb?’ he asked.

 

‘Eh?’

 

‘Min, almost the whole students of the college know you and Siwon are dating, ok. Not that I am certain, I’m sure many of them would have heard rumors at least. Why don’t you tell him?’ Yunho continued his comment.

 

‘Is it ok if I tell him?’ Sungmin asked.

 

‘What is wrong in that? Go on tell him. That is best solution.’

 

Sungmin sighed in relief. Yunho’s words were reassuring for her. He was the decision maker among them; his words were final, and she was glad he was by her side.

 

It was her fault she failed the notice the forlorn figure that was squatting in the grass. Siwon had not spoken a word at all during the whole conversation. Hyukjae was supportive and stood by Yunho’s words. When they were finally alone, she approached Siwon. ‘Hey, are you alright?’

 

‘Whatever.’ was Siwon's short reply.

 

‘Hey…’

 

‘It's not like I care much, you decided to tell them the same time you told me. Am I your boyfriend or what?’

 

‘It's not like that Siwon. You know Yunho and Hyukjae are my close friends, and it is not as if you guys wouldn’t share it anyway...’

 

‘Whatever, just leave me alone, I am not in a mood to talk.’

 

It got worse by the end of the day. They were having a conversation over phone.

 

‘What? You told him?’

 

‘Yes Siwon, I told him that you are my boyfriend.’

 

‘Why did you tell him? I asked you to tell no one, did I not?’

 

‘But Siwon…’

 

‘But what? You never listen to me. I don’t wanna speak to you.’

 

‘Wait...’ Sungmin heard a beep on the other side. She was shocked and sad. What she had done wrong? She kept staring at her phone, dejected. It seemed like no can answer it for her.

 

The next day...

 

‘Siwon, hey listen to me. I want to talk to you.’ Sungmin said.

 

Siwon stopped walking and turned to her. After heaving a sigh, he told, ‘Look Min, it's not working between us.’

 

‘Siwon...’

 

‘You told them as the same time as me. You hid all this from me all this while, and you also revealed our relationship when I told you not to.’

 

‘But...’

 

‘No buts Min, I do not think we are compatible. Let's break up’ He added relentlessly.

 

‘What?’ Sungmin cannot believe her ears. Did Siwon just pushed her away like that?

 

‘It is for the better. It is not as if I am going to date another person right now, just take a break for now. If after a few months we still have feelings for each other, we can think about it.’

 

Siwon turned around. He did not wait for her reply. Sungmin was all by herself as a single tear fell onto the floor.