Chapter 11: A crush?

My thoughts, Your memories

Author's note: Hi guys, I'm back with a new chapter. Updates will be more regular after this I promise. Also check out the poster I got for my fic. Credits goes to YooLing Unnie. Thanks Unnie. Please do comment. I hope you guys enjoy the chapter. Also I was thinking about adding timelines to each chapter so it can you help understand when they happened. I have added dates to the previous chapters too so don't forget to check them out.

May, 2012

 

It was a free period. Bored, perching her hands on her elbows and her face in her hands Sungmin looked across the room observing her classmates.

 

First her eyes landed on Seohyun and Yonghwa who were talking away in a corner. Those two spend an awful lot of time together. Though some people didn’t like it, Sungmin adored their friendship. It was cute. They were living proof against the notion ‘a girl and a guy can’t remain just as best friends and would fall for each other’ or so Sungmin thought.

 

Next her eyes trailed on the group of five girls who always sat together. They called themselves f(x). Victoria and Sulli, sweet girls who appear silent but can get talkative if you give them the right topics, Luna, the most social one among them, and then there was Krystal and Amber. Though the five were best friends Krystal and Amber were a bit more so. Seeing Sungmin looking at them Amber gave her a smile and waved back. Amber was cool Sungmin liked her, Krystal not so.

 

Ryeowook was chatting with her fellow day-scholars, the ones who came by bus and not stayed in the dorm. There was Hyuri (she was pretty nice when she wasn’t meddling in other’s business), Onew, Kyungsoo, Kitae and Hoongdong. They were all pretty nice and Sungmin occasionally hung out with them.

 

A loud laugh could be heard and Sungmin turned knowing very well who it belonged to. Donghae was talking animatedly with Hyukjae and Siwon. Sungmin smiled at the scene. Hyukjae liked her best friend; it was clear from the way his eyes would sparkle when he looked at Donghae. Sungmin kept no secrets from Donghae and she decided not to tell her this. It was Hyukjae’s place to tell, not hers.

 

Behind them sat Kyuhyun, apparently engrossed in playing some game on his phone. The more Sungmin looked the more intrigued she became. The guy was a mystery to her. She knew at least something about her other classmates’ personalities like when they would get angry or sad etc, but about Cho Kyuhyun she knew nothing. It wasn’t just her though, she wondered if anybody knew. It wasn’t that the guy wasn’t sociable, he talked quite well when in gatherings. But he never talked much about himself, and also throughout the one year period she had spent with her classmates not once had she seen him get angry or sad or any kind of emotion for that. He was always Cho Kyuhyun, the witty, funny guy, who cracked random jokes and sang songs. Nothing more, nothing less.

 

Sungmin was snapped out of her thoughts by Donghae. ‘Um, why are you staring at Kyuhyun?’

 

‘I wasn’t staring per se, it’s just, I want to know more about him’

 

‘Why?’

 

‘I don’t know. Maybe it’s because he is the only one I can’t figure anything about in the class’

 

‘You and your thoughts, I don’t really understand you sometimes, Min. Anyway how are you going to do this ‘get to know more about Cho Kyuhyun’ mission anyways?’

 

‘I have not figured out that yet, but I will soon’ Sungmin said with a smile. Cho Kyuhyun, just wait for me.

 

 

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

 

Cho Kyuhyun. The guy who captured Sungmin’s attention. Sungmin found herself getting more drawn to Kyuhyun day by day. He was quite popular in the class, with his random jokes and witty comments he made everyone laugh. Sungmin also found to her surprise that both of her roommates, Donghae and Tiffany were quite close friends with the guy. But Sungmin was just another classmate of his and she was determined to change that.

 

She started spending more time with him, tried talking to him. The more she talked the more wonderful the guy seemed to her. And his singing.. Sungmin now wished the teachers send them on more trips so that she could hear more of his voice.

 

It was in one of those trips Sungmin first heard Kyuhyun singing in Japanese. While Sungmin personally loved Japanese songs, Kyuhyun was more of a kpop singer and sang Korean songs mostly. It was a pleasant surprise to her and soon she had a favorite new song to her list of favorites.

 

sou, anohi bokutachiwa futari deattane (So we met that day)

mada adokenasaga nokottettano, yokogao wasurenai (You still had an innocent look left, I can’t forget the side view of you)

hajime deatta hikara kimochio ienaimamade (since the day I met you I haven’t told you about my feelings)

sugoekitaketo kyoukosowa kono omoi todokeruyo (But today I will tell you how I feel in my heart)

 

Donghae heaved a sigh. The song was blasting through from the laptop for the nth time that day and seriously she had got fed up of it. She and Sungmin were alone in the room, Tiffany had gone off to meet a friend of hers.

 

‘Seriously Min, that again?’

 

‘Why Hae, its such a nice song.’

 

‘I agree it’s nice, but how many times do you have to hear it over and over again?’

 

‘I don’t get tired of it.’

 

‘But I do. And what the hell does all that even mean? I don’t understand Japanese at all’

 

‘Your bad, Hae. It’s a beautiful language.’ Tiffany said entering the room.

 

‘Is that SHINee’s Kiss kiss kiss, Min?

 

‘Yes it is’

 

‘Oh, its one of my favorite songs, lets play it the whole day.’ Sungmin smiled at Tiffany and then stuck out her tongue out at Donghae who was looking at Tiffany and Sungmin like they were crazy.

 

‘Not you too Fany. Oh God, somebody just kill me now.’

 

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

 

They didn’t have any trips for a while and Sungmin missed hearing Kyuhyun’s sing. So she was beyond delighted when they got a trip. As usual they started singing the usual trip songs. The main singers apart from Kyuhyun were Hyukjae, Key, Yunho, and Onew, while some others like Siwon, Yonghwa and Taejoon joined from time to time. The girls were sitting in the seats cheering them on and sometimes singing along with them. After a while they all got exhausted and decided to sit down.

 

Sungmin was beyond surprised when Kyuhyun came to her and pointed at the seat next to her.

 

‘Sungmin, is this seat taken?’

 

‘No, it’s not’

 

‘Okay then.’ It was the first time they were sitting together in the bus and Sungmin couldn’t help but feel giddy inside. Why am I feeling so happy? Ok, Sungmin calm down, now is your chance to ask him. When they sing it’s usually in groups, and Sungmin wanted to hear Kyuhyun’s voice alone, not mixed with anyone else’s. Like Donghae said, ‘You can just ask him you know’ but Sungmin didn’t have the courage. What if he said no? She didn’t want to be embarrassed in front of others. But now they were sitting together and no one else would probably hear, Sungmin decided to finally step up.

 

‘Um, Kyuhyun?’

 

‘Yes?’

 

‘You know that song, SHINee’s Kiss kiss kiss’

 

‘Yeah, it’s one of the few Japanese songs I know. What about it?’

 

‘Um, its.., can you sing a few lines of it?’

 

‘Now?’

 

‘Yes, if you don’t mind.’

 

‘It’s not that I mind but my throat is exhausted after all that singing. Even if I sing it won’t be loud.’

 

‘That’s okay, you can sing in a low voice, it’s just for me to hear that’s all,’ Sungmin found her voice getting low with each word and she wasn’t sure Kyuhyun heard the last part. She just sat there, head hung low not having the courage to face the rejection that was sure to come.

 

sou, anohi bokutachiwa futari deattane (So we met that day)

mada adokenasaga nokottettano, yokogao wasurenai (You still had an innocent look left, I can’t forget the side view of you)

hajime deatta hikara kimochio ienaimamade (since the day I met you I haven’t told you about my feelings)

sugoekitaketo kyoukosowa kono omoi todokeruyo (But today I will tell you how I feel in my heart)

 

 Sungmin’s head shot up at the sound. In front of her, looking out through the glass, the slightly wavy hair moving in the breeze and singing her favorite song was Cho Kyuhyun. His voice sounded heavenly to Sungmin’s ears, and she found herself catching her breath. Her heart was beating fast. Why am I feeling like this? What’s happening to me?

 

kimidakeni Kiss Kiss Kiss donnatokimo (Only to you kiss kiss kiss always)

Bokuga zutto kimino sobani iruyo (I’m always by your side)

 

Sungmin was brought out of her stupor when Kyuhyun spoke, ‘Hope that’s enough Sungmin, will sing you more some other time.’ And then he smiled. Sungmin’s heart skipped a beat.