The Way the World Works

Carousel: Part 2 (ON HOLD)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note: Ok, I know I'm going to generate mixed responses with this one, but read the after note too...

When the airplane landed back in Korea, they knew that work would begin again in no time. They couldn’t really complain, though. They’ve had a break for a while considering their usual schedule. They went out of the plane, ready for the flashes of the camera. They got their sunglasses out, and Gary took Jihyo’s hand in his as they walked out the gate. And as expected, they were hit by the bright lights of the camera. They braced themselves for it, and for the news to come, because their new rings circled their fingers. They knew it wasn’t long until people will find out.

“Banji-da!” One of the fans who went to welcome them back shouted as they were signing several autographs. Jihyo looked at the direction the sound was coming from and just smiled, making people curious about it. Gary too, just chuckled when another one pointed it out to him. They didn’t feel the need to conceal it anymore. A thing as big would be out sooner or later. Besides, they weren’t exactly confirming the news either. They made their way back to their car and excused themselves.

“Tonight or tomorrow?” Gary asked Jihyo. She immediately knew what they he was talking about. She chuckled and dismissed it.

They immediately went home that night, all worn out. Gary put their luggage outside their room and unpacked. When they decided to move to a new house, they figured they had to do something with the locks they collected. Their locks had by then been arranged inside a thin, glassy shelf on the wall. He took out the lock they got in Bali and put it inside along with the others. Jihyo unwrapped a rectangular gift from her brother and sister. They had told her how they got the picture and once it was unwrapped, she smiled. It was a picture taken on their last family trip, when Jihyo’s brother accidentally took a picture of Jihyo and Gary. They had printed it out and framed it. She put it on top of the sofa because they hadn’t had the time to decorate their new house. Gary turned around and looked at it. His looks explained what he was thinking well.

“It’s from our trip.” She told him. “They coincidentally took a picture of us.” She said, smiling. Jihyo continued to help him unpack and also set the gifts aside. Then she started sneezing. It seemed like she had caught a cold from all the strong wind when they stroll down the beach at night.

“Are you still sick?” Gary asked her. She dismissed him, of course, saying that it was just an occasional sneeze or two. “Go take the medicine and go to bed.” He told her. But being the stubborn person that she was, she just stayed there and shook her head. Gary finally stood up and looked for the medicine himself. He took that and a glass of water, gave it to Jihyo, forcing her to eventually drink it. “What are you going to do without me, huh?” He said, jokingly. He chuckled at her, ruffled her hair and went to place the cup on the sink and she smiled at him.

“Let’s just do this tomorrow, oppa.” She said, feeling tired. “We have a lot of time to just unpack.” She said.

“What are you suggesting?” He smirked. “What do you want to do instead?” He asked her and she rolled her eyes. She got up and took out her sleeping wear. She went to wash herself and changed into more comfortable clothes. He laughed at her, but decided to go and wash up as well. They washed up pretty effectively… And rather efficiently. They were by a while later dressed in their sleepwear, lying down on their bed.

Jihyo was on her phone, checking her schedule already. So many things piled up one after the next once they will start again. She let out a sigh. Gary knew how she must’ve felt. He chuckled, though, looking at her frustration. He put his arm around her, facing her, and placed a kiss on her lips.

“Hajima…” She said, stopping him from kissing her. “You’ll get sick too.” She reasoned. He smiled.

“So?” He asked her, leaving her speechless.

“What do you mean so? So I’ll have to take care of you!” She replied jokingly. She pushed him away and laughed at him. He was just sitting there quietly looking at her. There was a different aura about her. She seemed to be readier for embracing whatever that was going to come. She seemed like she was more ready for him.

“That’s your job, isn’t it?” He grinned toothily, acting childish. She smiled and kissed his cheek instead. Jihyo had actually been taking the medication for a couple of days and her cold had gotten better. She the TV, looking for something to watch. For some reason, there was a re-run of Emergency Couple’s Reply with Music. She was surprised to see it, not having anyone notify her. It wasn’t that she was supposed to know, but for something that ended a year ago, it was rather surprising. She actu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter