>> Sleepless in Seoul

>> ER >>
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“I am looking forward to this !” Sehun said, driving the car. “How long has it been since we went to a romantic escapade ?”

“A few months I guess.” Joonmyeon answered from the passenger’s seat beside him.

“We’re too busy…” Sehun sighed. “Mostly you. I know you’re exhausted. You know I meant it earlier. If you’re too tired, I can turn around and reschedule to another week-end.”

“No. We postponed this too many times. Plus, you know my schedule. God knows when I would be able to drive outside town to spend to quality time with you. I need this week-end. We’re going and that’s final.”

“Glad to hear that.” Sehun smiled, taking Joonmyeon’s hand on his.

The couple drove to exit from Seoul easily but when they reached the highway, at the entrance of the expressway leading to Incheon, traffic was clogged.

“What happened ?” Sehun wondered, and Joonmyeon changed the radio station to get the news.

News Flash : The highway leading to Gyeonggi-do and Incheon is now clogged due to a massive car crash involving a tourist bus, two trucks and more than a dozen of vehicles. Due to the heavy traffic, rescuers are struggling to reach the accident area.

Sehun and Joonmyeon shared a look of mutual understanding before getting out of the car. Joonmyeon opened the trunk and took his medical bag he always brought with him. Sehun took off his leather jacket, throwing it in the trunk and wore his firefighter jacket instead.

“Let’s go.” He said, closing the trunk and car before taking Joonmyeon by the hand, leading him to the emergency lane, which was safer to walk on.

When they arrived close, the road was blocked by the police. Joonmyeon passed under the adhesive tape, Sehun behind him. A policeman ran toward them as he saw them.

“Hey ! This road is closed, you do not have permission to access it !” he shouted in attempt to scare them but was calmed right away when he was Sehun’s firefighter jacket.

“My name is Kim Joonmyeon, chest surgeon at Seoul University Hospital.” Joonmyeon said, showing his employee card to the man. “How many victims can we count right now ?”

“More than sixty, and still counting.” The policeman deplored. “Can you help doctor ?”

“I came for it.” Joonmyeon said as if it was the most obvious thing on Earth.

 

Jongdae blew on his hands before rubbing them together to warm them up.

“If you don’t hurry, I’m gonna fall asleep before you start.” grumbled the man beneath him, but Jongdae only smiled at his impatience.

Chanyeol was lying on his front, head resting on his crossed arms. The bed sheet was covering his body up to his waist, and Jongdae sat pretty much on his , legs on either side of his body. The entire bedroom was lit by candles, and the heavy scent of musky incense made the atmosphere a lot sensual. That, and the fact they were not wearing much clothes.

“God I missed this…” Chanyeol growled of pleasure when his lover started to massage his broad shoulders with perfumed oil.

“Since I started working at the ER, we barely get any time to be together.” Jongdae deplored. “Hopefully, when I will finish my residency, I’ll be able to choose my department so I will have a more normal schedule. I was thinking of surgery or maybe paediatrics… What do you think ?” he asked, his skilled hands now travelling to Chanyeol’s back.

“No matter what you decide, I will support you.” Chanyeol said. “You should do what you enjoy the most. I want you to be happy with the job you’re doing.”

“You’re not helping, but you’re adorable so I let this go.” Jongdae said, smiling. “Yeol, can I ask you something ?” he asked, sounding unsure.

“Anything babe.” Chanyeol answered, relaxed and sleepy.

“Do you get tired of… waiting for me ?”

“What do you mean ?” he asked, wanting to raise himself put Jongdae kept him down.

“I mean… You’ve been a paramedic for a little more than five years now. It’s a stable job, stable enough to consider things… things I know you want but you can’t have for now because of me…”

“Can you be more explicit because I really don’t know where you’re going.” Chanyeol said.

“If it wasn’t for me, if you weren’t waiting for me to finish my studies and be a surgeon, you will be married and have a family by now.”

Chanyeol sighed and turned around, making Jongdae fall on the mattress as he raised himself above him, leaning on his elbow.

“Listen silly idiot, I don’t care of how long I wait. Yes I want to get married and have kids, but all those things, I want to do them with you. With you Jongdae, and no one else. So I don’t care if I have to wait until you become a surgeon. Kids cost a bunch of money anyway and a surgeon’s salary won’t be superfluous.” Chanyeol said with his signature happy-kinda-idiotic smile but Jongdae won’t have it any other way.

“I love you.” he said, putting his arms around his neck. “I know we already talked about it, but sometimes I feel the need to be reassured I guess.”

“It’s ok. I can survive your egocentric side craving for attention.” Chanyeol chuckled, making Jongdae hit the back of his head.

“Hey !” he protested.

“I’m joking !” he laughed. “You know I love when you crave for my attention…” he pointed out, his large hand kneading his hip.

“Is that so ?” Jongdae rose an eyebrow, amused, pulling Chanyeol closer to kiss him.

The kiss heated quickly, and soon their hands were put to use to explore their bodies.

“Ah !” Jongdae moaned, throwing his head back as Chanyeol attacked his neck and collarbones.

Chanyeol sighed loudly, groping his hips. Jongdae parted his legs and wrapped them around his waist.

“I want you.” Chanyeol said between two kisses, his tights.

“Me too.” Jongdae whispered, sighing.

They shared a meaningful glance before starting kissing again, holding each other close, clinging to one another. As things were about to get more intense, a shrill ringing brought them back to reality.

“ !” Jongdae exclaimed. “It’s the hospital ringtone. I have to answer.”

Chanyeol groaned his dissatisfaction, adding a few curses. Jongdae rolled in the bed and took his phone resting on his bedside table.

“Yobuseyo ?” he answered, a bit short of breath due to their previous activities.

“Kim Jongdae seonsaeng ?” he heard a masculine voice ask.

“Neh, this is he.”

“Nurse Kim Kibum speaking. A major car crash happened on the highway. We need all the medical staff within the ER. Come as soon as you can. We are expecting more than a dozen of ambulances.”

“Alright, I’ll come right away.” He agreed before ending the call. “I’m so sorry Channie.” He apologized to his lover, already standing and grabbing some clothes. “Apparently a major car crash happened and they need all the medical staff available.”

“It’s fine.” The other retorted, frustrated but not angry with him. “I’ll drop you there.”

“Baby you don’t have to. It’s late and you worked too.”

“Jongdae it’s late, God knows when you will finish there. I won’t be at ease if I let you go alone.”

“You must be tired.”

“I’ll sleep tomorrow, it’s my day off.” Chanyeol cut him. “No discussion allowed. Either I drive you, or you’ll stay here, which sounds good to me too.” He grinned.

“Stop it idiot !” Jongdae hit him with a pillow. “Get dressed at least.”

“Why are you always mistreating me ?” Chanyeol whined like a kicked puppy.

“You’re unfair to me.” Jongdae pouted. “Is that sound like mistreatment to you ?” he said before climbing on four in the bed to whisper something in Chanyeol’s ear before standing again, laughing at the man’s face.

“You really mean that ?” Chanyeol asked, hopeful.

“Only if you behave.” Jongdae smiled.

“I’ll behave ! I promise !” Chanyeol immediately rose to grab his clothes and get dressed.

 

“It feels so good to go to the cinema.” Luhan smiled, engulfing a handful of caramelized popcorns. Kyungsoo nodded, enjoying his coke and nachos. Minseok himself ordered cheesy flavoured popcorns.

“It’s nice to go out together. We should do it more often.” Minseok said.

“Thank you for inviting us anyway.” Kyungsoo said. “It’s really nice of you.”

“No problem. It’s been a while I haven’t gone out with friends, I really appreciate it.”

“The movie is on room 8.” Luhan said, looking at his ticket. “Shall we go now ?”

They were walking toward the screening room when Luhan’s phone started to ring. The man immediately cringed. It was the hospital’s ringtone. He handed his popcorn to Minseok to hold and, cursing copiously his phone, took it.

“Luhan speaking.” He answered. “Alright. Kyungsoo is with me, we’re coming right away. Of course, we’ll be here as soon as we can.” He said before ending the call.

“What happened ?” Kyungsoo asked, worried.

“A massive car accident on the highway. We have to go.” Luhan said. “Sorry Minseok, but you can still catch on the movie.”

“No, it’s ok. You guys need a ride anyway.” Minseok smiled.

“Which highway Luhan ?” Kyungsoo asked, suddenly grave.

“The one towards Gyeonggi-do and Incheon.” Luhan said, then realised. “Oh my God ! Sehun and Joonmyeon were on the road to Incheon tonight !” he exclaimed, fearful of what might have happened to his friends.

“I’ll call him.” Kyungsoo said while the three of them urged to the car, leaving snacks and drinks on the counter to a very distraught young seller.

 

Since Baekhyun was off for the week-end, he took advantage of it to visit his parents in Gyeonggi-do. After a very filling dinner cooked by his mother, the three of them settled in the living room to watch TV. They did not expected the frightful news they caught on.

News Flash : The highway deserving the province of Gyeonggi-do and Incheon clogged by  massive car crash. Sixty victims, still counting. Samsung Medical Center, Seoul National University Hospital, Asan Medical Center and Myungwoo University Hospital requisitioned.

“Oh my God ! Look at that !” their mother pointed out the images of the crash. “It’s on the highway on the way here. It could have been you !” she said, looking worriedly at his son.

“I should call the hospital.” Baekhyun said immediately, leaving the room to make a phone call. The line was saturated, obviously because so much people were calling to know if one of their relatives where there. He hesitated but called Jongdae in last resort. He just did not expected a deep low voice answering his phone.

“Yobuseyo ?”

“Chanyeol.” He immediately caught on. “It’s me, Baekhyun.”

“I saw the caller's ID Baekhyun-ah. How are you ?”

“Fine, but I would like to talk to Jongdae. It’s about work.”

“I’m afraid I can’t oblige you. Jongdae is working. He received a call tonight about a massive car accident, he had to go back to the hospital.”

“Then why do you have his phone ?” Baekhyun couldn’t help but ask.

“He can’t take it with him with all the machines and stuff so I kept it.”

“Does that mean… You’re in the hospital too ?”

“Sure am. Couldn’t let him go alone in the middle of the night.” Chanyeol said. “I’m in the waiting room, it’s so crowded here I can barely hear you.”

“Listen Chanyeol, I am in Bucheon visiting my parents now but I’ll do my best to come as soon as possible. Can you pass this message for me ?”

“Of course, but don’t take the road, it’s blocked. I think the AREX will be exceptionally open all night between Incheon and Gimpo. Maybe you can ask your folks to drive you to Incheon and from there take the AREX to come back to Seoul.”

“This will take me two hours at least.” Baekhyun said.

“Believe me, I bet people will still flow in by the time you arrive.” Chanyeol said. “The accident looked like a bloody mess from the news.”

“I’ll come as soon as I can.”

“Sure. See you later.” Chanyeol said before hanging up.

“Appa ! Can you drive me to Incheon airport ?” Baekhyun shouted, running toward the living room. “I have to go back to Seoul !”

 

“There is no day I expect like my days off.” Yifan said, taking a sip of bourbon.

Yixing smiled and they clinked glasses. They were comfortably sitting in a bar, enjoying the end of their shift drinking a bit and eating.

“Any intervention today ?” Yixing asked him, taking a wing of fried chicken with his chopsticks from the dish between them.

“First was an adult male, forty-two years old. We removed the tumour located in the cerebral cortex. He’ll start radiation tomorrow. The second was a four years old girl with Brain stem gliomas, radiation wasn’t enough to treat the tumour so we had to operate. Hopefully the chemo and radiations would be enough now.” Yifan detailed. “What about your day ?”

“Three days ago, we put one of our patients in coma to help his body recover after our intervention on his heart. He woke up today to the joy of his family.” Yixing said. “And we got a new one from the police. A teen in alcoholic com

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter