>> Long Day's Journey

>> ER >>
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I am feeling depressed because I failed my Finance exam today. Anyway, in my deep sorrow, I found the courage to finish and update this. It's sad, you'll be warned. I hope you'll like it anyway. Like people asked, this is mostly Seho and hints of Past!Sulay.

 

"Kim seonsaengnim, the board of doctors have a meeting this afternoon. Cho seonsaengnim from cardiology asked me to remind you." Kyungsoo told him when they crossed paths.

"Thank you Kyungsoo-yah. Would you mind checking on the residents when I'll be there ? They obviously can't come with me."

"Why don't you ask doctor Park or doctor Yang to monitor them ?" 

"Because I want them to be considered as doctors and not students. I'm sure you'll find them something to do." he smiled.

"Of course, there is always something to do in the ER." Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at him.

"You know what I mean." he said before his pager started ringing.

"Sorry, I must go."

 

"Hey Luhan !"

The nurse turned back from his current patient and gasped.

"Minseok-ah ! What are you doing here ?"

"Ouch, I'm offended." the later said playfully. "Our new rookie inhaled smoke on our intervention, he's doing a check-up right now."

"Oh, I hope he will be fine." Luhan said sincerely. "What about you ? I heard from Sehun that you moved out... Did you find an appartment already ? You know you can totally crash at mine anytime."

"Thanks Luhan, I appreciate it, but I already have a new place. It's smaller than what I'm used to, but it's very close the fire station. Now I can walk to work and come back the same way."

"You aren't, you know, sad or anything ?"

"No, it's ok. We broke up by mutual agreement so... You know, a lot of stuff weren't working out anymore and as I told him, I rather keep my good memories of us than going by destroying them."

"You're so brave." Luhan put a hand on his shoulder. "Come to me if you need anything. Anytime."

"Thanks." Minseok smiled at him with gratitude.

"I'm sorry, I have to go back to my patient." Luhan told him before returning at an adjuma's bedside.

 

"Soojung-ah, you biped me ?" Doctor Kim said, arriving at the ER desk.

"A fireman inhaled smoke during an intervention. He needs a check-up."

"Why did you beeped me in particular ?" Joonmyeon frowned. "It's a simple case, and I told the nurses I wanted them to make the residents contribute to the medical work. Just call Doctor Kim or Doctor Byun."

"That's what I did at first but... Oh Sehun-shi insisted to have you."

"Wait, Sehun is here ?" 

"Apparently he is the mentor of the injured fireman." she tolds him. "Please Kim seonsaengnim, just go. You must know better than anyone how Oh Sehun-shi is stubborn and he kept bugging me for the last ten minutes. How am I supposed to work ?" she exclaimed, indignant.

"I'm sincerely sorry Soojung-ah." he apologized. "I'll make sure this kind of desagreement won't happend again. You can go back to work." he told her, grabbing the file before going to the waiting room.

Doctor Kim walked to the waiting room, annoyed. It wasn't the first time Sehun acted like this at his work, and trufully speaking, he hated the fact that he was barging in with no consideration of his position nor his coworkers.

"Doctor Kim, are you busy ?" he asked as he saw Jongdae walking down the hall.

"I just finished to examine a patient."

"Good. Come with me." he asked, and the resident nodded.

Joonmyeon walked toward the recognizable uniform of firemen. Sehun was sitting next to a coughing man, obviously the rookie.

"Joonmyeon !" Sehun exclaimed happily, standing up, but was ignored.

"Huang Zitao, 24 years-old, inhaled smoke during an intervention." he read the file. "ZItao-shi, this is the Doctor Kim. He will take care of you." he smiled reassuringly at the man. "Doctor Kim, this is your patient and here is the file." Joonmyeon told him.

"Neh seonsaengnim." Jongdae bowed before helping Zitao standing up. 

When they were away, Joonmyeon looked at Sehun, annoyance written on his face.

"Listen to me well Oh Sehun." he said, extremely serious. "I am tired of you barging into my workplace with no consideration of my work, my position nor my coworkers. Let's get something straight right here, right now. In SNUH, I am doctor Kim, thoracic surgeon and head of the ER. You are a fireman. Nothing else. I won't be laughed at by my own staff because the man who shares my life doesn't dissociate private from professional life ! Are we clear ?"

Sehun's face fell listening to the blame. All he could hear, even if Joonmyeon was far too polite and diplomat to say it to his face, was that he was annoying and bothersome and turned him a subject of ridicule within his workplace.

"Well, if you trully feel that way, I will leave now." he said, souding calm and collected, but Joonmyeon knew better. He knew he hurt Sehun's feelings -he hated that- but he had to talk some sense into him. He won't apologize for being right, he knew he was.

"Ok. See you at home." Joonmyeon said before walking away.

 

"No, you're serious ?" Luhan laughed at Kyungsoo's confidence, together in front of the ER desk to drop some files.

"I swear." the fellow nurse laughed.

"Hello there chatterboxes ! A cop just bring a  passed out homeless man. Go to work !" The head nurse scolded them.

They stifle their laughter and went to fetch the man from the cop.

"Hi sir, what do we got here ?" Kyungsoo asked as they rolled a stretcher to them.

"He was passed out in the street." the policeman answered them. "Probably from alcohol."

"Oh yeah." Luhan agreed immediately, wrinkling his nose under the smell that emanated from the man. "He stinks."

"We'll take him in." Kyungsoo said. "Have a good day sir."

The policeman saluted them and left. They moved the patient in a free room. Kyungsoo wore two pairs of gloves instead of one and Luhan did the same. Luhan took a disinfectant aerosol and sprayed the man, his arms, chest and legs.

"Dear Lord, sometimes I am tired to see so much misery whereas I haven't even passed thirty." Luhan sighed, and Kyungsoo smiled.

"We are helping people Luhan. That's what we chose to dedicate our lives." he said, checking the man's jacket to find an ID.

"Well,considering how much we work and how little we're paid, if I shall go back in time, I'll definetely consider another path." Luhan said. "I could have been an idol." he said cheerfully, making his colleague laugh.

"Well, if you're a idol I am an actor !" Kyungsoo jocked, but his laugh was cut short and he let out a whimper of pain.

Luhan looked up to him, worried. Kyungsoo pulled out his hand out. The needle of a syringe got stuck in his palm. Kyungsoo withdrew it with a snap and angrily pulled his gloves before throwing them into the nearest trash.

 

A instant after, Kyungsoo was sitting on a stool while Luhan made his blood sampling.

"I've been stuck five times and I never caught so much as the flu." Luhan said, trying to be comforting.

"It makes three for me." Kyungsoo said with a rueful smile. 

"I've been lucky so far." Baekhyun said, watching at the two nurses. " Is the chance of getting HIV from a needle stick like 1 out of 100 ?"

"It's 1 out of 250 if the patient is infected." Kyungsoo corrected him. "It's just awful to think that one bad luck and all the work you've done so far meant nothing and overnight you begin to make the ads to find work."

"Why are you saying such a thing ?" Baekhyun asked.

"Because if I got HIV, I lose my job. The hospital cannot, deservedly, have a member of staff with HIV. And until my results are out, I can't work." Kyungsoo told him. "SNUH policy is clear on the matter. Article 1237 about members of the medical staff, paragraph 3, subparagraph 9 : If a member of the medical staff, through his or her function within the hospital, have been in contact with any object that can trigger an infection transmissible by blood (AIDS, hepatitis, HIV) he or she should immediately do a blood test they will give to the hospital's laboratory, indicating the cause of the event. He or she must be removed from any position until the results came out. Who knows, I can find myself jobless by the end of the day !" he let out a bitter laugh.

"Come on, don't think like that !" Luhan said, squeezing his shoulder before coering the wound with gauze and plaster. "I'm sure it would be fine. I send your blood sample to the lab right away. We should have your results very soon, ok ?" Luhan reassured him as best as he could. "As soon as our homeless man wakes up, I'll test him too."

"Thanks Luhan." he said before his colleague left the room.

"They say here to be safe and not have unprotected until after the follow-up in six months." Baekhyun read the medical procedure.

"Aish go away !" Kyungsoo throw a pack of gauze at the resident, making him running away.

When he was left alone, Kyungsoo's head dropped and he passed his hand on his face, praying in his heart he would be ok.

 

"What do you mean by "more important things to do" ?" Luhan shouted at the lab guy. "My colleague is important ! He's one of the best nurses within the ER ! If the results aren't out soon, we will be greatly penalized !"

"I'm sorry, but we have the whole hospital to run." The guy said, condescending. "Patients comes first. Your colleague should go home, we'll give him a call as soon as we can run his tests."

"Are you ing kidding me !" Luhan shouted, ready to stran

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter