>> 24 Hours

>> ER >>
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongdae took a deep breath, looking at the huge hospital complex through the car's window.

"So this is SNUH." he whispered, more for himself than the driver next to him.

"Don't worry Chen, you'll get used to it. And I come here a few times a day since SNUH is my unit's area hospital. We will see each other every day, isn't it great ?"

"I know Chanyeol." He looked over his shoulder to give him a genuine smile. "That's purposely why I chose SNUH to do my residency. Because I wanted to see you as much as I could."

The black haired man gave him his famous toothy grin and pulled him closer to kiss him.

"Good luck on your first day at work babe. Fighting !"

"Thanks, have a nice day too Chanie. Love you."

"I love you too." he said back, grinning now from ear to ear. After another peck on the lips, Jongdae came down from the car, waving goodbye at his boyfriend before walking into SNUH main building.

 

Baekhyun almost had a heart attach when he looked at his alarm clock. He woke up late ! And he was supposed to debut today. He cursed the jet lag copiously before washing up in ten minutes, get dressed in five, took his badge, phone and ran outside to catch the subway, hair still wet. Line 2 was crowded like every morning, and he ended up sandwiched between two adjumas, raising his head up to catch some oxygen. Damn his short height ! For the billion time, he wondered why he agreed with his parents to come back to Seoul.

 

"Bip."

It was the sound made by the machine when Luhan put his badge in front of it, recording his arrival time for the day. He was glad he had the day-shift for the entire week to come. He had accumulated overnight guards lately. Then, he used his badge to access to the staff locker room.

"Morning Kyungsoo !" he greeted his fellow worker, already changing into his uniform.

"Hi Luhan. You finally got back to day shift ?"

"Yeah, finally. I had to beg the Head nurse of the ER, but I could make it." the other man replied, walking towards his own locker and opening it. 

"How come you had two full weeks of night shifts ?" Kyungsoo asked. "Normally there is an alternement."

"She told me we were short-staffed these days and day-shifts were reserved in priority to people with families, to allow them to spend time with their kids. Can't blame her."

"Right." the other nurse approved, closing his locker. "I'm gonna get going. See you around."

"Yeah !" Luhan agreed, getting rid of his sweat to put his uniform.

He was in the middle of changing when the door opened again.

"Hi Luhan ! Back to the light as I see." a familiar voice said cheerfully.

"Good morning Dr. Kim." he bowed his head toward the doctor, already in his uniform.

"It's weird when you call me that." the other pointed out.

"I'm sorry, but we are at work." Luhan smiled. "What are you here for ? You're already dressed."

"I have to change my tie." the doctor said, opening his locker. "We are welcoming two new residents this morning."

"Seriously seonsaengnim," the young nurse laughed, eyeing at the current red tie, "I don't think a tie will make a difference. Your habilities are impressive enough."

"Nevertheless, I should look perfect for our hospital's reputation." he said, pulling out of his locket a tie hunger with at least a dozen of them, all colors and fabrics mingled. "What about this one ?" he pointed at some classic black tie.

"Too formal." Luhan decreed. "What about this one ?" he said, designating a pale light blue silk tie, soft under his fingers.

"Great !" the doctor changed his tie and did a perfect Windsor tie knot, looking at the mirror hung to the inside leaf of his locker. "Do you have a time for a coffee ? My treat, as a thank you."

Luhan looked at his watch and nodded. 

"But really quick then."

 

"Annyeong haseyo." Jongdae bowed at the front desk. "I am looking for Kim Joonmyeon seonsaengnim. I am a new resident here." he smiled shyly.

"What's your name ?" the nurse asked.

"Kim Jongdae himnida." he replied politely, bowing again, making the nurse chuckle.

Led by the habit, the nurse took the phone to make a call through the speakers of the hospital.

"Kim Joonmyeon seonsaengnim is requested at the entrance main desk. Kim Joonmyeon seonsaengnim." then she hang up.

"He should be here in a moment. Now excuse me, I have patients to check on." the nurse smiled at him.

 

They were in front of the coffee machine when he heard the call.

"Ah !" he sighed, "Sometimes it feels like this hospital cannot function without me." he jocked. "I better go."

He drank the rest of his coffee in one gulp before leaving. Luhan smiled and directed himself towards the ER desk.

 

Baekhyun ran inside the hospital, surely looking like a mad man. He really wished he could've made a great impression on his first day, but being almost late wasn't playing on his favour. When he reached the main desk, he held his ribs, trying to regain his breath.

"I'm here to see Kim Joonmyeon uisa-nim. My name's Byun Baekhyun, and I start my residency today."

The nurse widened her eyes at him before bursting into laughter and left. This reaction left Baekhyun frozen until someone tapped on his shoulder.

"Hum, Baekhyun-shi ?"

He turned his head and faced another man, probably around his age, looking at him sympathetically.

"My name is Kim Jongdae, I'm also a new resident here. They already called Kim Joonmyeon seonsaengnim, he should be there any minute."

"Ah, ok. Thanks."

The guy named Jongdae looked at him from head to toe, embarrassed.

"Maybe you should... fix yourself... a bit." he said awkwardly.

Baekhyun followed his gaze and quickly adjusted his tie, smoothed the folds of his jacket and ran a hand through his hair to comb it.

"Is it better ?" he asked the other resident.

"Much better." the other nodded.

Baekhyun didn't have the time to thank him as someone interrupted them.

"I suppose you are the new surgery residents ?" A soft-spoken voice asked.

The two men turned around to face another man, too cute-looking to be a dactor as his uniform sugested.

"I'm doctor Kim Joonmyeon, Head of the ER and associate professor of surgery. I'll be your tutor during your residency."

Jongdae and Baekhyun immediately bowed 90° to him.

"Seonsaengnim, it's an honor to meet you." Jongdae said.

"Thank you to welcome us in your department." Baekhyun added.

"Enough with formalities, follow me." the doctor asked them.

They walked to the ER and stopped to the main desk.

"Can I have everyone's attention please ?" Doctor Kim spoke loudly, since the place was noisy.

Instantly, there was silence and all the medical staff turned to him. Jongdae and Baekhyun were stunned to see how Doctor Kim gathered everyone's attention on the spit, despite being small and not intimidating at all. Those people must respect him a lot, they thought.

"From today, we have two new surgery residents in our department, Doctor Kim Jongdae-shi and Doctor Byun Baekhyun-shi." he pointed at one then the other. "Welcome them and help them at best. Thank you everyone, go back to work."

The second after, it was like nothing happened, the noise came back and activities were being pursued.

"Soojung-ah, lead Doctors Kim and Byun to the locker-room, give them lockers and their uniforms." Doctor Kim asked a nurse passing by. "No one in my department is allowed to work in civilian clothes, except for utter emergency. You either come to work with your uniform or change in the locker room before the start of your shift, got it ?"

"Yes seonsaengnim !" Jongdae and Baekhyun replied together.

"Yah, chill guys, we're not in the army !" Doctor Kim chuckled before leaving them with Nurse Soojung.

 

At the fire station, the daily morning meeting was about to start. Sehun sat on one of the benches in the meeting room, his head wedged on his arms folded behind his nape, one foot on the coffee table. His eyes were closed. Facing him, Chanyeol was playing a game on his phone while Jongin whined about his one-sided crush from SNUH that everyone in the fire station knew about. The rest of the workers were around the coffee machine. The team manager Minseok came in with the Chief of the station. Everyone came to sit around the table, behaving under the eyes of their superiors. Chanyeol put his phone back in his pocket and Jongin put on his serious face. Minseok sat next to Sehun, looking at the maknae disapprovingly. The Chief saw their youngest worker and tsked.

"Yah you brat !" he hit the maknae's head with his journal. "Attention !"

Sehun jolted and sat suddenly, looking at his Chief.

"Sunbaenim," he whined, "that hurts."

"You deserved it you fool ! Don't you sleep at home ?"

"Actually, I'm not !" Sehun said. "It's been five days I haven't slept well."

Minseok chuckled uppon hearing that.

"Does it have a link with the fact that a certain doctor of SNUH is cumulating shifts nowadays ?" the manager teased his team leader.

"Shut up." Sehun growled, still hurt by the blows he received. "Shall we get started sunbaenim ?" he said to the Chief.

The older man nodded and sat on the armchair between the two benches, so between Sehun and Chanyeol.

"The topic of today is that we're welcoming a new recruit."

"Does it mean that Sehunnie isn't the maknae anymore ?" Jongin asked.

Sehun rolled his eyes.

"The new recruit is Chinese, only a year older than you both, but he passed his exams with flying colours. He's a good, hard-working lad, and I hope is presence will inspire us all to do our best." the Chief continued, not minding Jongin.

"All of that over a rookie, seriously..." Sehun sighed.

"And since he's a rookie, I have to designate a tutor among you."

The tension rose in the room. No one wanted a rookie as a burden, no one.

"Is he a fireman or a paramedic ?" Minseok asked.

"A fireman." the Chief said.

All the EMT team sighed in relief while the firemen got more anxious.

"At the beginning, I wanted to entrust him to you, Minseok-ah." the Chief said. "You were the one who taught Sehun, and you taught him well. He became team leader quickly because of his perseverance and courage on the field. But despite this, our maknae has awful manners and act like a brat when we're not on a case. That's why I just changed my mind. To taught Sehun about responsability and manners, I will entrust him with the rookie."

"No !" Sehun exclaimed. "Sunbaenim, please reconsider. Minseok hyung is our team manager, he's more shapped for the job than I am."

"My decision is made Sehun. You will be his tutor, end of the discussion."

"I don't know how to manage a person !"

"Please Sehun, you're a team leader. Of course you can manage a rookie."

"Chief !" 

"Enough !" the man suddenly stood up, and everyone went quiet. 

Knowing he couldn't escape this, Sehun sighed and dropped his head, defeated.

"What's the guy's name ?" he asked.

"He's waiting in my office. Minseok-ah, bring him here." The Chief said.

"Neh sunbaenim." the manager said, bowing his head.

Two minutes later, a tall, dark skinned guy made his entrance.

"Hello everyone, my name is Huang Zitao and I'm a newly graduated fireman. Please take care of me !" he said, bowing 90°.

"Aigoo, it makes me remember when Jongin and Sehun came here for the first time." another fireman colleague said.

Sehun sighed and stood up under the watchful eye of his Chief. He walked toward Tao and held out his hand.

"Welcome to 119 unit Zitao. I'm Oh Sehun, team leader of the firemen. I will also be your tutor."

The rookie smiled genuinely and shook his hand.

"You can call me Tao." he told him.

While Sehun was showing Tao around, the alert bell started to ring loudly in the station.

“Dispatch ! Emergency dispatch !” A voice said through the speakers. “A part of a building under construction collapsed, injuring employees and civilians.”

Sehun started running without even realising it, habit. Quickly, he put on his fireman equipment and grabbed his helmet before running to the fire truck. He saw the EMTs bustle around the ambulance and Jongin climbing to the driver’s seat. He was about to get in the truck when he remembered the rookie he was in charge of. The lad was still putting his fire uniform.

“Get the in here !” he screamed at him. “You’ll dress up in the truck, hurry !”

Sehun climbed into the car, Minseok was in the driver’s seat, the Chief in another truck. In their area, an accident of this magnitude monopolized 70% of their equipment and personnel as well.

The fire trucks and ambulances made a lot of noise. Thankfully the police managed to clear up the road so they didn’t encountered obstacles. Once in the accident scene, Sehun get off the truck to see the damage with his own eyes.

“EMTs, take all the people you can to the hospital. Firemen, with me ! We'll have to remove the rubbles to rescue people buried under !” Their Chief shouted.

“Neh !” they all answered.

Instantly, the paramedics took the victims they could reach, ambulances leaving one by one. The firemen, on the other hand, used their equipment clear their ways to the victims. Sehun discovered three corpses which were taken away, as well victims either barely breathing or unconscious. Each time he found a person, he shouted at the EMTs to get them and bring them to the hospital. Focused on the job, he had forgotten he was in charge of someone.

 

Doctor Kim seemed to be always alert and in a hurry. Just after the resident changed, he made them do a little tour of the ER department. “So, this is a typical multiple-bed examination room. When the patients came by themselves, we usually put them here. Where a patient come with an ambulance, we use these rooms. In case of emergency surgery, we use those rooms. But don’t dream about them yet, you’re too green. This stairs leads us to the rooftop. Sometimes patients came with helicopters. Here’s the ER desk, the nurses are in charge of the monitor. They get to know when we will have an ambulance coming, how many victims and so on.”

“Doctor Kim ! We have an emergency !” a nurse shouted.

The doctor immediacy ran toward the ER desk.

“What it is Luhan ?”

“A building collapsed. Haemorrhage victims. Three minutes out.” He stated, starting to take the plastic blouse, gloves and glasses from under the desk to prepare.

“How many ?” Doctor Kim asked.

“At least eight.”

“Alright ! Luhan, prepare the trauma room, Kyungsoo get the blood bank to send all their O-neg, Soojung control we have enough morphine and infusers ! Come on !”

Then he turned around the residents, putting on his plastic blouse.

“You want to be an ER doc ? That’s the real thing ! Get ready now !”

Thankfully Luhan throw them plastic blouses so they didn’t have that much time to think this over. Suddenly, it was like all the staff was on the edge. A dozen of persons, doctors, specialized nurses and them (resident) found themselves walking toward the emergency doors. While they were waiting in the cold morning, they heard the sirens way before they saw an ambulance. The tension build up, and the two residents thought that ER was way more intense than surgery department in many ways.

When the first ambulance shows  up, they all ran to it.

“Thirty-seven years old man, multiple bones fractures, unconscious since we’ve found him.” The MT told them.

“Doctor Park, take him ! Be sure to check his head for eventual intern haemorrhage !”

The said doctor nodded and took the victim in, three nurses with him.

The second ambulance came, then the third, then the fourth. Doctor Kim learned the state of each victim before entrust them with someone of his team.

“Eight years-old girl, visible broken ankle and something got into her ribs. BP is falling down. She swipe in and out consciousness.”

“Doctor Kim, you take her !” he told Jongdae.

“What ?” the later said, surprised.

“You are a resident in surgery. You’re able to deal with this. Now go ! Luhan, go with him !”

Luhan nodded. He was habitually in Doctor Kim’s team, but he was the most experienced operating-room nurse around and the resident will need his skills since the poor guy seemed scared.

“We’re going !” he agreed. “Doctor Kim, come on ! Soojung, Hoon, come with us !”

Another ambulance came, and a paramedic came out.

“Doctor Kim !” he shouted when he recognized the man.

He ran toward the MT.

“What is it Chanyeol ?”

“Twenty-seven year old man. His skull has been split. We can’t stop the bleeding. Burns on his chest and shoulders.”

“Ok, we’ll take him. Doctor Byun, you’re in charge.”

“Al… Alright…” the resident said, a bit shaken.

“Kyungsoo, go with him !” Doctor Kim told his anaesthetist. “Take room 2.”

“Alright ! Luna, Jinki, with me !”

Then when the last ambulance came, Doctor Kim was ready.

“Forty-two years old woman, unconscious, stomach open and bleeding, possible organ damage.”

“Alright, let’s go !” Doctor Kim said to the remaining staff as they pushed the bed to the ER.

 

Jongdae looked at the victim then his team. It was the first time in his life he was alone in front of a patient in such a state.

“Doctor Kim ! Doctor Kim !” called Luhan, one of the nurses.

“What ?”

“Are you going to proceed ?”

“Yes, sorry.” He took a deep breath again. “First thing, we have to remove the metal in her stomach and check if something got damaged inside. Messer please.”

The nurse gave it to him, and he make a clear cut.

“Give her 15 ml of morphine.” He said while removing the piece of metal she had in her stomach. “Resorption.” He asked, using a pipe to aspirate the blood. “Needle.” He sewed up the intern wound. Everything seemed to be fine when a he heard a machine’s alarm.

“She’s doing tachycardia.” Luhan signalled him.

“Give her Beta blocker to stabilize her condition, then contact a heart specialist. This is beyond my competence.”

They stabilized the little girl, then Luhan walked to the phone hang on each room. “I need Doctor Zhang in the ER right now !”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter