Day 35/ Final

Island Boy

 

Day 35

 

I was on my knees, crawling towards the warm water grappling at the grains of sand when I saw a figure standing waist deep. I blink at the figure as it slowly shimmers in the distance, their features discreet. I crawl closer, squinting up at the figure until I notice a scar at the top of their head, blood oozing out of it. I’d notice that scar anywhere.

“J-Jaehwan?” I whimper, my hands wrist-deep into the water. The sand at my fingers and knees as I slowly move towards the looming figure. The water is at my throat, swashing away the droplets of sweat pouring down my face.

Jaehwan’s dark silhouette remained still, however the closer I got, the further he became.

“Jaehwan…I’m so sorry” I mewl, reaching out to him. Jaehwan’s dark orbs travel to my outstretched palm but he responds with just a blink.

My blood turns cold when he then moves his gaze to meet mine. The feeling of air being trapped within my lungs caused me to choke and gag as I brought my hand back to press my chest. “I’m so sorry! I shouldn’t have let you go out there! Please…" I shivered, kneeling before him and clasping my hands together. “Please forgive me…”

“You are not to blame, Youngjae.” He softly speaks, his lips being the only movement. I tremble in horror and clutch harder at the shirt around my neck as though it was choking me to death. “It is my fault…it’s all my fault hyung…I didn’t get to you on time…”

My voice cut the air like paper as we remained so close but so far from each other. I wanted to grapple onto him and hold him in my embrace, forever apologising for all the times we argued and fought over petty things in our childhood. But I couldn’t do that because he kept moving further and further away.

“I love you, Youngjae.”

The three words caught me off guard as I stared back with glimmering eyes. A whirlpool began to form around Jae’s body and the next thing I knew, I was desperately clambering onto my feet, wading into the water to grab onto him.

“Me too, I love you too!” I call, trying to reach the whirlpool. “Please, don’t go!”

The gash on Jaehwan’s head begins to fade as he stands there, staring back at me with a solemn smile.

“Don’t go…”

“I’m not going anywhere.”

“You are, you’re— you’re disappearing, you’re leaving me!” I cry falling deeper and deeper into the water to grab what was left of my best friend. A sliver of light passed his eyes before his shoulders mould into something less broad and more slanted.

His physique transforms into one of a thick and muscular build, his hair turning from blonde to a dirty brown with golden highlights. I fall back into the water and scramble back when its face comes into view.

Eyes without irises stare back at me, skin almost as white as snow. “Daehyun?” I gasp, feeling the hairs on the back of my neck rise alarmingly. Thick, black veins begin to crawl up the older boys neck and down his bare pale arms, leaving me there to wheeze uneasily.

“You didn’t save me.” He whispers, his bony fingers curling into fists. With my heart beating 100 beats per second, I swallow thickly and begin to back away, fingers sinking into the sand.

“It’s…it’s not in my c-control” I weakly reply, staring in horror at the blood drenching his white tank top.

Blood seeped from the corners of Daehyun’s lips. He parts them, as if to say more but only more blood pours out, making my heart plunge to the depths of my stomach.

“Daehyun!” I erupt, crying flood loads.

“Forgive me…” I say before turning my back and lunging towards the sand. Cracks sounded behind me but I refused to turn around to witness what it was as I scrambled away for dear life.

Thunder roared and lightning struck the space in front of me, causing me to fall back and hack at the sand that entered my throat.

I continued to cough when I’d been pushed roughly onto my back.

 

~*~

 

“He’s awake” an unfamiliar voice sounded, breathing onto my face. My pupils adjusted onto the face before mine and I realised I had only been dreaming. The person then moved away from me and turned their attention back to the person beside me. Daehyun. Daehyun!  

"Is he alive?" I suddenly ask, jerking up from the sand. My world went a bit haywire however as soon as I gained equilibrium, I took hold of the male kneeling beside my boyfriend and ask him again desperately, "Is he alive? Will he make it?" 

"Almost" he replied, helping the other strangers with securing the mangled limb. "We need to get him to a hospital as soon as possible or else he's better off with whatever attacked him." 

I scrutinized him for saying such a thing but there was no point attacking him over it. My mind was spinning from the terrifying dream I'd just encountered. A woman draped a blanket around me and guided me along with the rest of the team towards the chopper, Daehyun and the paramedics right ahead. 

And that was when it finally hit me. People had finally come to rescue us. 

I was going to go home. 

 

 

 


 

4AM

Red lights swarmed the island as rescue boats roared onto shore and a lone helicopter swatted the humid morning air. Chief pilot had spoke into his mic, alerting the rescue teams that indeed there was life on that island and in no time, 2 boats departed from the wreckage to swamp the island of survivors. 

The burning raft lit the entire night sky, alarming any aircraft that flew overhead. A sigh of relief escaped the chief as he watched the men jump from their boats towards the two souls lying in the sand nearby. One of them had just been getting to their senses whereas the other remained still. A static buzz of the microphone stole the chief’s attention as he began to lower the helicopter onto land. 

“Sir, one of the survivors are severely injured.”

“Alright, bring him up” announced the chief, giving the militant the thumbs up to climb down. The men surrounded the injured survivor as they carefully handled his injured leg. No doubt had there been several broken bones in the bloodied limb that had been secured by nothing but a torn shirt. The second survivor lurched to his side, accompanying him all the way until the militant hauled him up into the helicopter that was now parked on the sand, its choppers causing the palms to viciously retract by the wind. 

The paramedics in the helicopter got straight to work as soon as the survivor was brought in. Daehyun’s fragile form was buckled onto a stretcher, his face aided with an oxygen mask whilst the helicopter swiftly took off. He was out cold. 

“Can we have identification please?” asked a female rescuer, securing the oxygen mask. “I’m Yoo Youngjae,” spoke the smaller male, still heavy with tears. 

“Your parents are going to be awfully glad to find you home, Youngjae. Your face has been all over the news for the past 4 weeks along with Lee Jaehwan. Is this him?” she asked, indicating to the male on the stretcher. 

Youngjae shook his head remorsefully. “This is Jung Daehyun.” 

The team exchanged knowing looks between themselves, baffling the youngest in the helicopter. Youngjae looked sceptically between the female and the other members, trying to figure out the issue. “This is Jung Daehyun?” she asked, her voice lowered. 

The boy simply nodded, wary as to why the tone had become so serious. “Jaehwan didn’t…survive the wreckage.” 

The team were quiet until the woman decided to speak up again. "Has he been on this island before you?"

Youngjae nodded. "I discovered it by accident after the ship sank."

“Don’t you know who this is?” she sternly questioned. Some of the members paused their ministrations on Daehyun’s leg as the female challenged the clueless boy. 

“Jung Daehyun is the suspect of murdering Han Joo Min in 2010 right before his disappearance. Police have been trying to track him down ever since it was reported.” She said. 

Youngjae stared back at them as though they’d dropped a bombshell on his head. 

2010 was exactly 5 years ago. 

 

But there was no way in hell Youngjae was going to believe that his Daehyun was the murderer. 

 

 

~*~

 

 

 

A/N: Well, this marks the end to Island Boy and the start to the sequel: City Boy

Firstly, I'd love to thank all the subscribers who read this from the beginning to the end and who constantly left comments. I am so happy that you guys showed your appreciation but I also love those who stuck by and read this even though you were silent hehe, thank you so much for not unsubscribing (/^3^)/

You guys are incredible for supporting my first story on this account, it means so much to me. All those voters are also amazing, I'm so very glad to see all those votes. /cries tears of joy/

The sequel to Island boy will explain Daehyun's minor predicament and of course, there will be a lot more DaeJae to come! 

Once again, thank you so much and God bless, I'm going to go cry now that my favourite fic is over, I really enjoyed writing it. City Boy is going to be a lot more different to this but I hope those who subscribe to it love it all the same~!