Island boy (III)

Island Boy

          After a couple of days loitering around under our shelters, the storm cleared and the skies once again turned blue. Heat engulfed the island as usual, drying the damp sand and clearing the layers of dewdrops embroidered along each plant. I sneaked into Youngjae’s shelter early the next morning and picked up a stick to write in the sand with.

          Youngjae stirred in his sleep and I couldn’t help but laugh at the soft words escaping his lips during his sleep. Contacting the stick to the sand, I carefully wrote “Good morning City Boy” beside his hammock and fled, leaving the stick and my footprints behind. Sandy emerged from the oleanders and stuck her moist tongue out at me with her tail wagging excitedly behind her. I bent over and her ears, making her seal her eyes shut and revel in the loving gesture. “What is it girl?” I ask, leaving a kiss on the crown of her head.

          She returned the kiss with a large on my face and suddenly pounced away in the direction of Youngjae’s shelter. I shake my head and began to trek towards the fall, wanting to swiftly rid the layer of perspiration against my back and underarms.

         Once I finished, I climbed under the rock overhang behind the fall and relaxed. The muscles in my back sank into the slippery stone floor and I calmly inhaled, enjoying the fresh scent of vapour and rich saturated earth. Through the cracks of the waterfall, I watched as the young boy carried my dog in his arms and searched the fall for my presence. Sandy squirmed around in his arms and he giggled, calming her down with gentle scratches at the back of her head and soothing words. 

         When Sandy managed to escape his hold, she scarpered off across the bridge leaving Youngjae to stand there awkwardly debating on whether he should jump in or not. He timidly took a hold of the hem of his shirt and raised it over his head before tossing it to a side. His milky white skin and flat stomach came into my opaque view between the gaps of the thrashing fall as he carefully climbed the rocks towards the plunge. He slipped a couple of times but successfully tripped into the deep part of the water where it would be less likely to hit the rocks.

          I watched in interest as he bubbled up to the surface and coughed up the spring water, swiping a hand over his hair and face to avoid sore eyes. Then he hurled onto his back and paddled, pushing his arms out away from his sides and floating away from the water base. His posture was so serene as he glided along the blue ripples, humming something inaudible. Just when the songbirds heightened their vocals and the fall began to simmer, a loud crashing noise sounded causing the city boy to jump and end up choking on the water.

          Sandy paddled towards him, her tongue lapping out of and her tail wiggling through the water. Youngjae gasped and plopped back, his heart racing from the scare. I giggled to myself as the human the dripping fur off the dogs’ ears. “You scared me…” he mumbled, wallowing gently towards the tall reeds. I stared silently as the Labrador affectionately and paddled against Youngjae, obediently reacting to his playful gestures and performing tricks in the water.

          Some feeling of jealousy set off within me as I watched the two play. I also wanted to play, but I felt as though I’ve been breathing down Youngjae’s neck too much and that he might be getting a bit fed up. Pressing my lips together, I leaned my head back against the stone and closed my eyes, feeling enamoured by the sedative crash of the fall. After a while, I woke up from a cool draught and realized I had still been lying under the overhang.

          Slipping back into the plunge, I swam over to the rocks and gathered my clothes before travelling to the other side of the island. Somewhere near the cove there was a couple of wine bushes. The wine that grew weren’t always so sweet, but when they were, they would instantly be eaten by island critters. Containing some hope to find a sweet bunch, I wondered through the condense masses of nature and emerged in the area where the wine grew. Spotting a red bunch, I immediately plucked a single grape and threw it into my mouth to check the sweetness.

          Closing my eyes in ecstasy, I groaned in bliss as the gorgeous juice leaked pleasantly over each taste bud. Swiftly, I grabbed two thick bunches of the grapes and stalked back south, hoping to find Youngjae as soon as possible so that he could share the freshly found fortune with me. In no time, I discovered the boy sitting with his new best friend beside my shelter, as though he were already expecting my return. "Hey..." I said kneeling down beside him. Youngjae smiled up at me but I noticed his eyes glitter from the sight of the grapes.

          "Those look appetizing" he said. I handed him a bunch and the two of us began to bask under the warm weather, enjoying the nectarous grapes as they lingered their extract along our tongues. I don't know why but I enjoyed the sight of Youngjae popping each grape piece into his mouth. His pink lips would form into a small pout which made him look cute, and I simply could not fathom the urge to touch his round cheeks.

          As each day passed by, I realized that I had been becoming more and more attracted to Youngjae. From his tender appearance to his perky attitude, I was undoubtedly beginning to feel attached. Not in a friendly way, but in something a little more than just friends. Maybe it's too soon to be saying this, but I want to make him my own. I want him to be by my side for as long as possible, making me smile like the way he does each day, ever since he arrived here. I want to fill in that dark empty spot in his heart which he once cherished for Jaehwan. I want to put up with his problems and eliminate the tears which may ever fall from his ducts. I wondered if I'd ever be able to do it- make him as happy as he made me. 

          Closing the short space between us, I shuffled closer to him and offered my bunch, not feeling so hungry anymore. He accepted it hestitantly, before wolfing them down in a matter of a few minutes, indulging in the nourishment. We spoke for a little while, talking of our urban memories and our families. Youngjae really missed his home, his eyes welled with tears when he spoke about his mother. I wanted to comfort him. To touch him. Or hold him and tell him that he were to see her soon. But I didn't know how, I simply remained awkward and silent, absorbing his mewls and whines to return. 

What were the city traditions like? Would it be wrong to like someone of the same gender?

          Despite my feelings, I knew that the distance between us would always be vast and that there was yet still so much to know about him. It would be completely irrational to confess my imprudent emotions. Youngjae's soft fingers gently brushed against mine, sending a wave of electric to cruise through my veins. I sat up and watched him disappear towards his shelter, waving me a mild goodnight. 

Would it be wrong to like you, Youngjae? 

 

~*~