Heavy Metal

A Beautiful Disaster

 

A/N: Author got preoccupied with ice cream bingeing and oversleeping. Sorry! :(

 

“It’s time for dinner.” Heechul was never the one to knock so she made sure she won’t see her wetting her eyes. Joonmyeon loved her aunt. She often thought she’s the only one she had. But explaining to her had always been a chore.

 

“I am not really very hungry, Auntie.” She just hoped her hoarse voice won’t give her away. Heechul sighed and turned the overhead lights on. It turned out that she didn’t have to worry about her voice since her aunt can barely hear her anyway because she was buried deep under the thick duvet.  

 

Heechul walked up to the bed and sat beside the unmoving lump. “Okay, tell me what’s wrong.”

 

“I’m just really sleepy. I promise I’ll eat in the morning.” She was purposely not looking her aunt’s way. The older lady put her hand on Joonmyeon’s visible forehead to make sure she was not sick like she previously suspected.

 

“You know I practically raised you, right?” She tugged on her duvet and revealed the teary-eyed Joonmyeon. “So I should know that you’re lying.” It was a statement. She supposed it was a waste to continue to evade her questions so she sat up and faced her aunt.  

 

“Why didn’t you get married?” She asked without preamble. Heechul was clearly taken aback when the tables were turned. She was not expecting the question at all. “I mean, you’re very pretty and you entertained suitors when I was younger. And I’m sure Appa won’t oppose if you wanted to leave.”

 

The older Kim was silent for a long while. “Well, I didn’t meet anyone that was worth another heartache.”

 

It was the first time Heechul talked about her love life so Joonmyeon was more than curious. “What do you mean? Who broke your heart?”

 

“The story is for another time, sweetheart. Now, if you’re really not up for dinner then at least tell me what’s wrong, huh?”

 

Joonmyeon contemplated if she’d tell her when she was not even sure about what she really felt at this point. She decided against her better judgment. “I think I’m starting to like this boy but I don’t want to like him.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“I’m not even sure if I can afford to like him.” She pouted.

 

“Does he like you back?” Heechul’s eyebrows furrowed. Her protective instinct was kicking in.

 

“He told me he did but sometimes his actions told me otherwise. He’s very hard to read!” She let out a frustrated huff. Clearly, Yifan was different from the guys who worshipped her. “I know I’m not very likeable so—“

 

“Who told you that?” Heechul’s sharp eyes sent daggers to her direction. She gulped. “You shouldn’t be belittling yourself like this just because of one guy.”

 

“Auntie, I can’t even get my own parents to like me so how am I supposed to keep this guy interested? Surely, good looks and better grades can only entice someone for so long.”

 

Heechul’s gaze softened at that. “Joonmyeon-ah—“

 

“Auntie Heechul, I know you love me and I am very thankful for that but you can’t keep the truth from me forever.  Whatever excuses you used to feed me on behalf of my parents whenever I needed them but they were not around used to work. Twice, three times but it can only fool me for so many times. You know that I know that they don’t care about me and that’s not gonna change anytime soon.”

 

“Kim Joonmyeon, listen to me. Your parents love you. They might not be the type to say it often but they certainly do, okay? You don’t even know how hard they work to give you everything. And I don’t want to hear you saying that you’re not likeable because you are. If anyone doesn’t get past that indifferent attitude you show to people then they’re not worthy of your attention. Remember that.” Heechul tucked her in just like the old times. “Go to sleep, okay?” She kissed her forehead before turning the lights off and leaving her to ponder on what they just talked about.

 

****************************************

 

“You can’t be mad at me still.” Luhan pouted, his head hung low. He sat beside his girlfriend in the library. He was expecting Minseok to run away just like the past three days but he sighed in relief when she stayed on her spot, completely ignoring his presence though. She was silent for a long time and if he’s not gone for another five minutes, his soccer coach will surely yell at him for being late. But if he let another day pass without speaking to Minseok, he will definitely go crazy. “Please. I’m so sorry! Please say something!” The librarian shushed him for raising his voice.

 

“I told you your temper won’t get you anywhere.” She was referring to Luhan’s outburst during the meeting with the Student Council.

 

“Are you really defending that ?!” He hissed, doe-like eyes wide with apprehension. And for the first time that afternoon, Minseok looked at him. Her eyes were narrowed in dangerous slits.

 

“Well, that is my cousin.” She said matter-of-factly.

 

“Your cousin whose family abandoned you. She’s clearly enjoying all this wealth when your parents can’t even send you to school.” His voice wasn’t loud. But he could’ve just yelled at her because she felt like a bomb just exploded in front of her face.

 

“I’m sorry my family is such a bother to you.” She gathered her things, purposely leaving the laptop Luhan gave her not so long ago.

 

“Minseok, it’s not what I mean! C’mon, please listen to me!” The librarian called him out again for being loud but this time he didn’t care. Minseok hightailed out of the library and Luhan was hot on her heels.

 

He grabbed her when they were outside the building. He was glad that most of the people were gone for the day and the rest were busy with afterschool club activities. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it like that.”

 

Minseok was calmer than she was minutes ago, eyes blurry with unshed tears. “You know how thankful I am for everything you did—you’re doing for my family. I don’t even know if I’ll be able to pay you in this lifetime..” Luhan begged her to let him pay for her school fees so they can be together everyday. He’s also paying for her father’s expensive rehabilitation fees.

 

“You know you don’t have to do that. Please, I miss you already. Let’s not fight anymore.”

 

“You’ll be late for soccer practice. I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?” She gave him a small smile. He was hesitant to let her go but kissed her on the cheek before sprinting towards the locker room. She walked to the parking area where Luhan’s driver was waiting for her to take her home.

 

“Good afternoon, Ahgassi.” He opened the car door for her. “Do you have anywhere you have to be before I take you home?” It was customary that he asked the question and he was expecting the usual polite shake of the head.

 

“Please take me to Madam Xiang’s office.” She was referring to Luhan’s mother.

 

*************************************

 

“What were you doing with Joonmyeon, Mama?” Jiahua put down the document that she was reading.

 

“We were out shopping, why?” She feigned innocence.

 

“You didn’t even tell me that you’re going to pay for that damn museum.” He slumped on one of the arm chairs in front of the massive oak desk.

 

“I offered that in exchange of accepting you in the middle of the semester. You should know how things worked by now. I always told you there’s no such thing in this world as a free meal. So your stay here better be worth every single Renminbi, get it?”

 

“How did Joonmyeon get into the picture?”

 

“Well, I thought my millions should at least give me a good candidate for a daughter-in-law.” She smiled when she remembered how adorable the girl was.

 

“Mama! What are you going on about?! You don’t even know her! And will you stop spying on me? I am in a different country for god’s sake.”

 

“Then all the more that I have to know everything.” Yifan scoffed. “By the way, your Papa will be coming in from Taipei tomorrow and we’ll head back to Shanghai together the next day. Invite Joonie to have dinner with us tomorrow night.”

 

“What? No way!” He won’t give his mother anymore reason to make things more complicated between him and Joonmyeon.

 

Jiahua held her hand up. He saw familiar keys dangling from her dainty finger. “How about I donate your Ducatti to the nearest junkyard?” She grinned.