Deal

A Beautiful Disaster

 

A/N: Delayed update is DELAYED. Sorry! :(

 

Before Joonmyeon can think of an appropriate response, the huge black gate opened and from it emerged a nondescript Town Car. A honk was heard and the driver’s side window was lowered down. “Can I help you?” The driver asked only because they were blocking the way. Zitao opened to say something when the passenger window was lowered as well.

 

“What’s going on?” The boy sitting on the backseat was familiar—if his uniform was any indication. His tone and his voice were totally bored if not flat. But Joonmyeon saw how his expression changed when he recognized the person standing in front of him.

 

“Doronim, it’s unsafe to open your window.” The person in the shotgun seat said in a reprimanding tone. The boy pulled the window up without another word.

 

“Do you need anything, Ahgassi?” The driver was looking back and forth Zitao and Joonmyeon.

 

“N-No. Sorry.” Zitao stepped out of the way, eyes still trained on the heavily tinted window of the backseat, unseeing her own reflection. The driver bowed lightly and sped away.

 

“Hey, are you alright?” She might not like Zitao but she was still Yifan’s friend and she still felt responsible. She was still looking at where the car disappeared, eyes glassy with unshed tears. She was still looking at the road where the black car disappeared, ignoring her question. Joonmyeon blew a raspberry and pulled out her phone.

 

“Hello, Aunt Heechul? Something came up, can you call the academy and tell them I’m sick?” There was a pause. “Yes, I promise this will be the last time.” She was rolling her eyes. “Yeah. I know. In fact, I’m not going anywhere. I’ll be there in a few.” She pursed her lips. “Okay! Thank you.” She turned to the stunned blonde girl. “C’mon. Let’s go.”

 

“H-Huh?” Was the very intelligent reply.

 

“I’m taking you with me before the village guards notice that you’re trespassing. So let’s go.” She said firmly, hauling her by the elbow to the waiting car. “We are going back home.”

 

*****************************************

 

Tao wasn’t enamored by the display of wealth. Qian’s home was as ridiculous if not worse. Even Yifan’s. But she was fascinated by how the hired help treated Joonmyeon. They spoke to her like she was some princess and they don’t even look at her in the eye. The Song family was very close to their employees and even knew their birthdays by heart. Tao, for example, won’t fail to get a gift from Qian’s parents for every important occasion.

 

Yifan might look like a y dragon most of the time but he’s one of the sweetest people she knew. Sadly, he’s also the most fickle-minded beings she had the misfortune of knowing. Like a butterfly, he flew from one beautiful flower to another, leaving a trail of broken hearts and bitter tears. And she was wondering what made Yifan stick to Joonmyeon. He despised women of high-society save for his mother. These women, he said, although had money, wanted power and influence only being a Wu can bring. So naturally, when he said he’ll be introducing his girlfriend, she was expecting someone else. Yifan never introduced any of his past girlfriends to them—they only learned of them in society pages or gossip magazines who loved to follow his less than desirable lifestyle.

 

And Joonmyeon was nothing but a spoiled rich brat with no brain-to-mouth filter. Maybe this was what they call karma?

 

“Tao, this is my Aunt Heechul.” A statuesque middle-aged lady was purposely waiting for them when they arrived, her arms akimbo. “Auntie, this is Tao, Yifan’s friend from China.”

 

“It’s lovely to meet such a beautiful young lady but I’m still waiting for you to tell me why I had to lie to your teacher about you being sick.” Tao winced at the menacing tone. The equally hard stare didn’t help.

 

“I promise to tell you later but now please have them fix Tao something to eat.” She turned to her, “You, follow me.” She dragged upstairs to her room and sat her on the bed. Tao just went with the flow. Her energy was drained by the earlier events. “I suppose Yifan doesn’t even know you’re still here.” It wasn’t even a question.

 

Tao shook her head. She told Qian and her parents she’ll be visiting a sick friend in Qingdao but right after they dropped her off to the train station, she rode a cab back to the airport and flew back to Korea. She was staying at a cheap motel because the airfare almost depleted her savings—her college funds to be exact.

 

Tears started to fall from the thought. She wasted hard-earned money for a guy who lied to her from the beginning. Shixun was supposed to be working as a gardener for a well-off Korean family who were generous enough to send him to school. Not someone who rode chauffeured cars and walked around with bodyguards.

 

“Soo? Yeah, I’m fine. I must have overworked myself during rehearsals.” She bit her lip. “Hey, do you happen to know who lived right down the block, by the roundabout?” She listened for a bit. “Yes, that one.” She was nodding her head, eyebrows furrowed. “Okay. I was just wondering because there was a commotion outside the house yesterday when we came back from church.” She ended the call after saying their goodbyes.

 

“Now tell me why you’re stalking Oh Sehun?” She asked without preamble. Good thing Kyungsoo was Joonmyeon’s exact opposite and knew almost every person of the same age in their village. And after some confirmation, she realized that he was indeed one of Yifan’s friends.

 

“Oh Sehun?” It’s one of those faces that Joonmyeon hated the most—that I’m-clueless-that-I-had-been-played look.

 

“Hey, let’s cut to the chase, okay? I saw you and you know what you did. So why were you standing there like you’re plotting how to rob the house or something? In the wee hours of the morning, too!”

 

“I don’t know any Oh Sehun. I was told that’s where my f-friend lived but I guess I—I got the wrong house.” She finished lamely. She really had no energy to refute everything Joonmyeon said.

 

“Okay. I’m calling your gege.” She said, ready to dial Yifan’s number.

 

“No! No, please don’t!” She was crying now. Joonmyeon wondered if she really had that effect on people. “I really don’t know him. At least not the real person. He gave me a totally different information…online.” Her voice was just above whisper and Joonmyeon frowned.

 

“Is he really just your friend?” Tao swallowed but didn’t respond to her question. But it was enough confirmation for the older girl.

 

“How old are you, Tao?” It was a good thing people don’t get whiplash from sudden change of topics.

 

“F-Fourteen.”

 

“Will you consider an exchange program?”

 

“E-Eh?”

 

*********************************************

 

Luhan won’t live another day without knowing what Minseok was up to so he asked permission to miss soccer practice and went home early. His driver wasn’t there yet to pick him up so he booked a cab home. He went straight to his room and found his girlfriend tidying his room—in a maid’s uniform no less. Now, it should be in every man’s fantasies but what he found didn’t arouse him one bit.

 

“L-Luhan…”

 

“Is the part-time job you’re talking about?” He asked icily.

 

“I can explain—“

 

“This is the most insulting thing you could ever do.” He slammed the door close and stalked to his mother’s study. With equal force, he opened the door to her office, startling Xiang Meier, dame of the Lu household.

 

“Son, you’re back earl—“

 

“Luhan, please let me explain!” Minseok was hot in his heels, holding on to his arm which he slapped away brusquely. Minseok, finally noticing where they were, bowed repeatedly in front of the older lady. “Aunti, I’m so sorry. Let me talk to him—“

 

“How can you do this to me, Mama? How can you allow such a thing in our house?” He asked, his eyes hurting from unshed tears.

 

“It’s my idea. I asked auntie to let me work here in exchange of my school fees. She won’t let me but I forced her.” She held his arm again, trying to coax him out of the room so they can talk it out privately and not in front of Luhan’s mother but her boyfriend won’t budge.

 

“Han, please calm down and listen first before you throw a tantrum.” Luhan snorted. A tantrum? His mother thought he’s merely throwing a tantrum? No surprise for a mother who’s only around for a few times a year.

 

“Auntie, please allow me to talk to him. Luhan, please.” He glared at his mother and let Minseok pull him to the hallway, their workers averting their eyes from the scene.