Goodbyes and New Beginnings

A Beautiful Disaster

 

“Please don’t tell me I said something again that you have to miss school to avoid me.” He said without preamble when Joonmyeon allowed him entry. Again, Yifan came in with a bouquet of orange flowers. She was busy revising for the lessons she missed that day.

 

“I’m feeling okay. Thank you for asking.” She rolled her eyes heavenward. Yifan moved the nearby armchair closer to her desk after placing the flowers gently on the bed. He gave her a peck on the cheek.

 

“Are you being lazy then? Because you don’t really look sick to me.” He brushed a wayward fringe from her face. If anything, Joonmyeon looked well-rested. He especially can’t resist her naturally pink and plump lips so he had to have a taste. The less-than-chase kiss ended and he earned a hard whack in the head.

 

“Yah! ert!”

 

“Why am I the only ert?! You responded!” He said, caressing the top of his head.

 

“Do you really want my aunt to ban you from coming here?” She huffed. “Anyway, good thing you came here. I have to tell you something.”

 

“Shoot.” He picked up his satchel from the floor and brought out his homework. Since he’s there, he might as well ask Joonmyeon’s help for his Hangul lessons. He didn’t want to sign up for the tutorial lessons and though he can speak it very well, written Hangul was a different story.

 

“Qian-unnie mentioned that all of you will seek further studies abroad next semester.”

 

“She will go first. Can’t be away from Khun-ge for a long time, you know? The twins will follow. And me, I’m still undecided.”

 

“Do you realize what will happen to Tao once you all leave China?” She asked.

 

“Jie was worried but Tao is a tough girl. There’s nothing that she can’t handle.” Joonmyeon wanted to snort. Actually, Tao was having a meltdown right this second because of one lying bastard. She wanted to say but held herself. “The Song family wanted to send her abroad to study but Uncle Jin declined the offer. He said he can still afford to send her to the best schools. Maybe not overseas but still. Besides, we’ll only be away for a few years.”

 

“I review exchange program applications for the school and I am one-fifth of the deciding body as a student representative. Did you know that she applied for the exchange program?” She didn’t have to tell Yifan that Tao filled out the form earlier that day and although she’s part of the deciding body, a recommendation from her mother will override any decisions of the board. His parents didn’t donate a campus wing for nothing.

 

“What?” Yifan looked up from his book.

 

“Maybe she wanted to surprise you?” She averted her eyes. Just a little bit more coaxing was all it took for Tao to spill all the beans. She practically ran away from home to meet her boyfriend but it turned out the guy was just stringing her along and that sealed Joonmyeon’s decision to help her. If it would get her Tao’s vote.

 

She placed a call to her mother and since it wasn’t very often that she asked for help, her mother promised to call the head master without much questions. “Do you think there will be a problem with her parents?”

 

Yifan was pensive for a moment. “She’s just fourteen. I don’t think they’ll want to part with her that early. I mean, she still had a long way to go before college.”

 

“If she decided this on her own then she really wanted this, don’t you think?” She was trying to gauge if she can get him for their team. “Besides, you’re already here so she won’t really be by herself, right?”

 

“Are you serious? If you want Tao to come to Korea just so you can bully her—“

 

“Hey! I already said sorry! Why do you keep bringing it up? I want to make it up to her.” She realized how protective Yifan was to Tao and she was not sure if she liked it or not.

 

“Sorry. I was just worried about Tao. Jie said she doesn’t say everything to her anymore and Tao didn’t have many friends. She thinks she’s hiding something and we can’t help her if she won’t tell us.”

 

******************************************

 

“Hello, M-Mama?”

 

“Joonmyeon dear! How are you?” Was the cheerful reply. She can imagine the older woman’s big smile and she tried to remember if her own mother ever answered her call with as much enthusiasm. But she told herself she should concentrate on the matter at hand.

 

“I’m great. Thank you for asking. And you?” Her happiness was contagious even through the phone and she found herself smiling.

 

“Never been better. Did Yifan do anything? Is he treating you well?” There was a bit of worry and Joonmyeon chuckled.

 

“If anything, you should be worried about your son, Mama.”

 

“Hush. I know that giant. He can be stupid at times so feel free to straighten him out, hao la?”

 

“Of course.” She laughed. “Actually, there’s really a reason why I called. I was wondering if you could help me.”

 

“Tell me.”

 

*****************************************

 

Kim Minseok and Lu Han met in middle school. The boy was smitten. He knew he was too young to even understand how relationships work but he knew one thing: he wanted Kim Minseok.

 

When Minseok had to transfer schools because of financial difficulties, he appointed himself as her guardian angel. He secretly paid for her tuition fees masked as a full scholarship grant from SM High School. All of these, he paid from the money he’s getting from all the investments his late grandfather left under his name.

 

Two years into the relationship though, Minseok discovered everything and it was a mess. He didn’t even beg for forgiveness—he groveled. It took three months for her to even look at him. Minseok wanted to leave the school but the head master talked her out of it. Good thing her grades really were exemplary that a real scholarship wasn’t impossible. He promised himself he’s not going to keep things away from her anymore.

 

So it hurt to discover that she’s keeping things from him now.

 

He was silently fuming for a long moment and Minseok knew better than to confront his anger head on. “Why?” He asked coldly and he saw her visibly flinch. “Why do you have to do this?” He swiped all the contents of his side table in anger.

 

“Because I can’t go with you to the US.” Minseok said slowly but firmly. Lu Han gaped at her. How did it come to this extent? “I won’t go with you to the US, Lu Han.”

 

“Everything’s been planned. Why do you have to make things complicated?! I told you I can support you! Why do you have to do this?!”

 

“Planned? Planned by who? You? Did I even have a say in the matter? When you went paying for my school fees, did you ask me about it? When you faked my signature for the Brown application, did you think about how I would feel?” She had her poker face on but her tears were running down her face. “Not only you’re disregarding my feelings, you’re insulting my family, Lu Han. I know you mean well but this is all becoming out of hand. I asked your mother to let me work here because I wanted to repay her for all her kindness and because I wanted to personally take care of you.”

 

The silence stretched painfully in the room. “If you’re going to let go of Brown then you have to let of me.” He laid his final card on the table. It was blackmail. But Minseok loved him. They can fix this.

 

It was Minseok’s turn to gape at him, trying to gauge if he was serious and when she unclasped the necklace he gave her for their fourth anniversary, he started to panic. “Goodbye, Lu Han.”

 

*******************************************

 

Three weeks later, Tao was on another plane to Korea. The day after Joonmyeon caught her outside the Oh residence, the older sent her packing and made sure she’ll be boarding the next plane to Shanghai. She told her that she didn’t have to worry about the exchange program but she didn’t believe her. Her father was as stubborn as a mule and she really doubted he’ll agree with it.

 

And if she’ll be honest to herself, she didn’t even know why agreed to move to Korea in the first place. She’ll be going to the same school as Yifan and Shixun. Or Sehun. Whoever he was. She’ll only be reminded of the heartbreak she’s still nursing but seeing that it was an opportunity to study abroad, she found it hard to pass up.

 

Just three days after she went back from “Qingdao”, she received the acceptance letter from SM High School. It wasn’t just an exchange program but a full scholarship provided that she maintained a certain GPA. The reevaluation will happen every five months. It came along with a one-way business class ticket to Incheon.

 

When she showed it to her parents over dinner, the outright no that she was expecting didn’t come. She can sense their hesitance—she was an only child after all—but her father told her that he’ll think about it. A week before the scheduled flight, her parents sat her down and asked her if she really can take care of herself while Korea.

 

She was partly excited and partly nervous. Yifan told him there will be someone to pick her up from the airport but she never expected that both he and Joonmyeon would be there. “Hello Tao.” The older girl greeted and Yifan hugged her tightly.

 

“Welcome back to Korea!” His gummy smile was on display and she told herself that everything will be alright because Yifan will be there.

 

“This isn’t the way to your house.” If she was not mistaken, it was the way to Sehun’s—Joonmyeon’s village. 

 

“Oh, yeah. Sorry, we forgot to tell you.” Yifan looked away from the road for a second to look at Joonmyeon and then at her through the rearview mirror. “It won’t be good for you if it gets out that you’re staying with me so we found you a nice place to stay.”

 

“It’s my house.” Joonmyeon beamed. Tao found it creepy because the first time they met each other, they were biting each other’s head off. What if she was only being kind because Yifan was around?

 

“Uhm, I don’t think—I mean, I don’t really want to impose. Dad gave me enough money so I can rent a place of my own and the program came with allowances—“ She was blabbering and Joonmyeon must have sensed her panic. She saw a flash of guilt in her eyes before she schooled herself into a neutral expression. 

 

“Tao, I’m—I’m really sorry about our first meeting. If only I can erase that, I would. But believe me, the best place for you to stay would be at Yifan’s if only he didn’t have all these fangirls who follow him twenty-four seven.”

 

“And even if I know you can protect yourself really well, I don’t want anyone talking about you.” Tao can only sigh.