Misunderstanding

A Beautiful Disaster

A/N: I'll be on vacation for five days. I don't think I can update but I'll try. If not, then I'll update on Sunday. Enjoy!

 

Yifan smirked when he read the last message from Joonmyeon. How did she know that he’s in Park Chanyeol’s class? He was about to type in a reply when another message popped up.

 

Come to Lotte Mall after your class. Don’t make me wait too long.

 

His mother sure knew how to ruin his day! But he knew he better be there if he didn’t want to face her wrath. Just two more days. Just two more days.

 

He drove to Lotte Mall right after class as instructed. He was about to call his mother when he spotted her amongst display of expensive China. And she was not alone. Kim Joonmyeon? However, it was too late to run away, Joonmyeon already noticed him.

 

“Yifan-ssi?” Her expression told him that she already concluded that he was stalking her. “What are you doing here?” Her tone stern, arms akimbo. Ella was so amused, she was chortling loudly.

 

“Joonie-ah, don’t worry, he’s not stalking you. I asked him to be here.” She wrapped an around her shoulder and Joonmyeon looked like she just realized they had company. “Wu Yifan, I have somewhere to be and I cannot take Joonmyeon home, so please do that for me.”

 

“Yes, Mama.”

 

******************************************

 

“M-Mama?” She croaked. But she’s Ella Chen and—of course Chinese wives do not carry their husband’s last name just like in Korea! How can she be so stupid?

 

“Sorry, honey, I forgot to tell you my son goes to the same school. Sometimes, I want to deny that this stupid giant actually came from me.” Yifan groaned out loud.

 

“Mama! Stop embarrassing me and don’t you have somewhere to be?”

 

“Fine. Joonie-ah, it’s nice spending time with you. Let’s do this more often, yes?” The older lady hugged her and playfully slapped Yifan’s before her tiny frame disappeared between seven store attendants carrying gazillion shopping bags for her. Joonmyeon was still staring after her in awe.

 

“Care to tell me how you ended up ditching school and following my mother around?” He was watching her intently. He didn’t know if he’ll be happy that her mother was getting along well with Joonmyeon.

 

“Your mom is building the SM Museum. The principal asked me to give her a tour around Seoul since it’s her first time.”

 

“First time my .” He snorted.

 

“She did tell me she lied so it was all good. She’s really nice and fun to be with.” Yifan took the few bags she had and she let him. “Did you…put her up with this?”

 

“God, no! I didn’t even know you were with her!” Besides, involving her mother with Joonmyeon would just make things complicated. Yesterday, his mother gave him a third degree about her. His traitor of a butler was reporting everything to her. Including the flower delivery. When he refused to say anything helpful, his mother just let it go. He should have known that she won’t give up that easily. She was not a topnotch lawyer for nothing.

 

“So you don’t want me to meet her?” She asked, face unreadable.

 

“Hey, don’t put words into my mouth. You asked me one question and I answered it. Why are you assuming things all of a sudden?” Yifan snapped. And it was too late to take it back. Why was this girl acting like an onerous girlfriend, twisting his words and starting fire? Joonmyeon opened only to close it again without saying anything—cold façade back in place. She just walked away from him.

 

He sighed in frustration, following her with heavy steps. He was able to catch up with her as she was about to board a taxi. Seriously, they had to stop doing this. “Joonmyeon wait. Please. I’m sorry.” He held her elbow firmly, not enough to hurt her but he’ll be damned if he let her go. He took a few bills from his pocket and handed them to the driver. “Thank you but she won’t need you anymore.” She wasn’t struggling but she wasn’t saying anything either. He took her to one of the fountains scattered around and made her sit. She was staring at a distance, completely ignoring him. “Please say something. Curse me if you want but please say something.”

 

*******************************************

 

Joonmyeon felt like crying. But she’d rather die than let Yifan see her cry. Everything was new to her and she didn’t know how to deal with these feelings. She was overwhelmed by the truth that Ella was Yifan’s mother. She was a very nice lady. She was as witty as Auntie Heechul and as warm as Kyungsoo. Her brain went overdrive after that—shopping with her mother-in-law, cooking Yifan’s favorite dishes together, tending the garden full of orange flowers and just spending time together. It was so vivid it was ridiculous. Was she falling for Yifan already?

 

He said he won’t give up until she gave him a positive answer but why did he look so unhappy that she was with his mother? She was just teasing him—maybe it came out differently than she intended but did he have to raise his voice? She wanted to lighten up his mood because he was clearly upset but maybe her social skills were limited to talking to people who won’t dare question her.

 

She was thinking she should have made more friends than Kyungsoo. She should have dated at least once before so she’d know what to do. She shouldn’t be falling this early because it made her so weak. So helpless. “I…I was just teasing you.” She swallowed a lump in . “W-Why do you have to raise your voice?” She fumbled for her phone and pressed speed dial two. Kyungsoo picked up after two rings.

 

Hello? Joonmyeonie?

 

“H-Hello? Soo-yah, I am at Lotte Mall in Jamsil. Can you come pick me up?”

 

Gwenchana? But she wasn’t listening to her anymore as she heard her talking to someone else in the background. Jongin, Jongin, turn around. We’ll be there in fifteen minutes, okay?

 

“Okay. Bye.”

 

“What are you doing? I told you I’m going to take you home.” Yifan looked defeated.

 

“I don’t think I can do this.” She said after a while. She noticed Jongin’s car pulling up a few feet away from where they were.

 

“I’ll talk to you later then.” He walked her to where the car was parked. Kyungsoo’s face held a million questions but she didn’t say anything. She just nodded in greeting to Yifan when they came over. Yifan handed her bags over.

 

“Please take me home.” She said when they pulled away from the curb.

 

Jongin snorted. “Algesseoyo, Jungjong Ahgassi.”

 

“Jongin.” Kyungsoo’s tone held warning.