New Driver

A Beautiful Disaster

A/N: Forgive me for not updating for three days? I was really sick and in fact, I'm still recovering from a cold.

 

“What would you have?” Yifan asked as soon as he parked in front of a local Starbucks. She sighed heavily. What’s her problem?

 

“Let’s just get inside first.” She was glad it was a Sunday evening and the business was usually slow around dinnertime. He followed her wordlessly.

 

“Oh, Ahgassi.” The man behind the counter smiled so widely that his eyes disappeared. “The usual?” She nodded. He turned to Yifan,  “And for our Doronim?” His address caused his eyebrow to rise.

 

“One Iced Venti Americano.”

 

“Just your name for your cup, please.”

 

“Free.” He should give the guy an award for keeping a straight face.

 

He was about to pay when the barista named Onew (as per his nametag) simply shook his head and told him to follow Joonmyeon to one of the booths. “Excuse me? I can very well pay for my and my girlfriend’s drink. Thank you very much.”  Maybe his own joke boomeranged. He was just annoyed that he was openly flirting with her when he very well knew she was with someone. It didn’t matter that she’s a regular customer!

 

The guy had the audacity to chuckle in his face. “I can’t let you pay for your drinks if I still want to have my job.” What gives?

 

“You have your own Starbucks?” His research told him that she’s an heiress to a bank chaebol.

 

“A gift from my dad for my fifteenth birthday.” Before he can react, their drinks were called.

 

“One iced venti, 2 pumps melon, 2 pumps classic green tea lemonade for Joonmyeon and one iced venti Americano for Free.”  And this time Onew didn’t hold off the cackle. Yifan turned beet red when Joonmyeon eyed him like he was insane.

 

“And you don’t even drink coffee.” He said when he placed her drink in front of her. She didn’t even take a sip.

 

“Are you stalking me?” He chocked from his drink. Wow. This girl had no filter at all.

 

“Of course not.” He denied vehemently. “Why would I do that? A man of my stature didn’t stalk people.”

 

She rolled her eyes. “Then tell me why you were there.” She ordered. “I didn’t even tell Kyungsoo about that!” She hissed. He wondered why she had to lower her voice. They were the only people there. Well, aside from the impertinent barista who’s more than ten feet away. And she’s the owner of the goddamn café for goodness’ sake!

 

“Who’s Kyungsoo?” He asked instead, refusing to answer her question.

 

“Aish.” She stood up and went to the condiment station and filled herself a glass of water.

 

“So, are you tying out for a particular role or for a spot in the company?” He inquired when she sat back down.

 

“If you don’t lower your voice I’m going to kill you.” She was close to throwing her entire drink to his face.

 

“Sorry.” He mumbled. Then he remembered she practically ran away from her bodyguards to go to the audition so she must have really only told her mother.

 

“I tried out for Swan Lake.” She said after a while. It was the role that catapulted her mother to stardom.

 

Yifan didn’t even know what Swan Lake was. His mother always asked him to go with her to operas and ballets as there were plenty of them in Shanghai but he falls asleep as soon as he sat. He always woke up to her half-screaming how rude and barbaric he was for sleeping though a magnificent performance. Eventually, his mother stopped bringing him along altogether. “Don’t worry too much. You aced the audition. That I’m sure.” His voice an octave lower.

 

“What do you know?” She asked arrogantly. “I bet you can’t even dance even if your life depended on it.” What she said was true but it still hurt his ego.

 

“But I know a dance that we’ll both enjoy. What do you say?” His wore the smirk that made the girls go gaga for him.

 

“Ew.” She picked up her stuff and scurried to the counter. “You can take the rest of the day off, Onew-ssi.” And left without waiting for a response.

 

“Hey! Wait!” He thanked heavens there were no cabs around. He started his bike. “Get on. I promised I’ll take you, didn’t I?” She ignored him. “Oh, c’mon! I was just kidding, okay?” He was losing his patience. Who knew how tedious this would be? She took a deep breath but walked to where he was without a word. Before she got on the bike though, “Give me your phone.”

 

“What? No.” She was about to remove her helmet.

 

“Give me your phone.” He repeated. “It was not safe for you to take cabs around. If you’re going to sneak out again, call me instead.” He watched her expression change several times through the side mirror before she reluctantly took her phone out of her haversack. He snatched the phone from her and dialed his own number.

 

It was around 9pm when they reached the ballet school. He went straight to the back exit without any instruction from her and it just certified her haunch that he was stalking her but he didn’t care. She wordlessly handed him the helmet and slipped inside the door marked as EXIT ONLY.

 

“Not even a thank you, huh?” He scoffed. He was about to go when the door reopened and admitted Joonmyeon.

 

“Yifan-ssi!” She called. “I…T-Thank you, I guess.” She said without any eye contact. She bowed a bit before she was gone.