First Impressions

A Beautiful Disaster

Kim Joonmyeon was a walking cliché. The embodiment of the legendary Four Bs: Beauty, brains, breeding and bread. She’s not only an heiress to the most successful bank in South Korea, she’s also studying to follow the footsteps of her mother, a world-renowned Prima Ballerina.

 

But to say that all the fame and money got into her head was an understatement. She’s an insufferable Narcissist, an arrogant and SM High’s most good-looking bully. Despite all these however, the men worshipped the land that she walked on. So when a transfer student from China refused to even look her way, she was livid.

 

“Who does he think he is anyway?! Hah! So pathetic!” Her good friend Kyungsoo was gaping at her. She was unfortunate enough to listen to Joonmyeon go on and on about the new transfer student, Wu Yifan, for the last couple of hours when they should be doing their final project for their AP Biology class. She didn’t know if Joonmyeon was banking on the fact that Yixing-seonsaeng was hugely infatuated with her or she was highly confident that she’ll pass without submitting the course’s final requirement.

 

“Joonmyeon-ah, just forget about him. He’s just one person compared to gazillion admirers you already have.” She tried to placate her. For the nth time.

 

“My point exactly! All men are the same! He shouldn’t be too different! Unless he’s gay.” Then like the proverbial light bulb, her face lit up. “Right! He should be gay.” Kyungsoo rolled her eyes heavenward. Here we go again.

 

“You can’t have them all, you know? You can’t be thinking something like that about someone you’ve known only for half-a-day.” Baekhyun-seonsaeng came in today with a totally hot piece of in the form of one Wu Yifan from China. The young teacher can barely keep her excitement to herself when she introduced the new student. He was very very tall, with golden hair, fresh-out-of-the-runway fashion sense and perpetual face. Kyungsoo was firm that her boyfriend of two years Kim Jongin was the hottest guy to ever walk the planet but she’ll say Yifan was a close second.

 

Yifan was asked to occupy the only available seat in class: beside Joonmyeon. And all hell broke loose when he didn’t even acknowledge Her Majesty’s attempt at being friendly. Joonmyeon spent the whole period breaking her pencils in half. Kyungsoo would swear her ears and nose were emitting smoke.

 

Joonmyeon was used to being the center of attention. Being an only child to ultra-rich parents, she was used to getting everything she wanted. Be it a yacht at her disposal for impromptu weekend trips or her own Starbucks branch where she and her friends can hang out. The guys line up to do her bidding and the teachers give in to her every whim.

 

There were only two kinds of students in SM High School: the ones who like her and the ones who hate her. Even the ones who belong to the latter cannot openly dislike her—not because they can’t take her bullying but because of what her family can do. Those who are unlucky enough to face her wrath will be forced by their own parents to either just endure the torture or just transfer schools. Most of the businesses in Korea rely on the mercy of the K and K Banking Corporation and the companies of their classmates’ families were no different.

 

When she first met Joonmyeon in grade school, she thought the girl was weird. She will always ask her about who made her lunch and she will always give her the same answer—her mother. Though Kyungsoo was in no way poor, her mother saw to it that she attended to her every need personally even if they had an army of help to do it for her. Joonmyeon will then ask for them to trade lunch boxes that eventually, Kyungsoo asked her mother to always make lunches for both of them.

 

Truthfully, Jongin didn’t even like Joonmyeon. Her boyfriend said she shouldn’t be associating herself with someone as obnoxious and as arrogant as Joonmyeon. But for Kyungsoo, Joonmyeon was just misunderstood. Everything was just a façade of the lonely insecure little girl that she really was. Despite knowing there’s no way the teachers will fail her, Joonmyeon worked hard to be on top of the class. Aside from the grueling Advance Placement classes she was taking, she had daily ballet lessons and she excelled in both of them. She’s also the president of the student council and the reigning Miss Teen Korea. But her busy parents were oblivious to all of her achievements. Only Kyungsoo and Aunt Heechul—an unmarried distant relative who took care of her since she was a baby—were there for her. Jongin just learned to accept that Joonmyeon, no matter how much he disliked her, was part of being with Kyungsoo but it didn’t stop him from refusing to hang out with her.

 

“Hey, Kyungsoo! Are you listening to me?” Kyungsoo was snapped out of her day dream. “You’re right. I shouldn’t be thinking of that jerk.” The poor wide-eyed girl can only sigh in relief. “He’s not that important.”

 

*******************************************

 

Only, he was. Only after a day in SM High, it was revealed that Wu Yifan was synonymous to Wu Steel, Wu Airlines, Wu Communications, Wu Holdings, Wu Hotels and all other giant businesses around the globe. There were rumors that he was sent to Korea to begin his successor training. And on his first weekend in his new mansion, he threw an epic party and the whole school was invited.

 

“That man!” Sehun exclaimed after Yifan confirmed he was exiled to Korea so he’ll learn how to be independent. Well, as independent as having a huge house with countless rooms, a butler, thirty-five servants and four luxury cars anyway. After playing a couple rounds of beer pong, the guys were tipsy and were lounging around the den while the rest of the school partied upstairs.

 

“That and Kim Joonmyeon is already planning your assassination right this minute.” Said Luhan. It was completely off topic but nobody seemed to notice as most of them were already stoned.

 

“Wait, what? Who’s Kim Joonmyeon?” Yifan snorted. As far as he was concerned, he didn’t associate himself with anyone other than the small group of boys he was with that moment. He went to the basketball court one afternoon and they readily included him to a friendly match. He didn’t even talk to any girls since his most recent demise was caused by one. One of the girls he slept with got greedy and claimed that he was the father of her unborn child. Though it was proven that he wasn’t through a prenatal paternity test, his parents still decided to send him away at least until the issue died down.

 

“She sits beside you for the first four periods you !” Jongdae shrieked. Everybody noticed Joonmyeon. Before he knew how pompous the girl was, he had a crush on her. Who didn’t? She was pretty in every sense of the word. Her alabaster skin was flawless, the way her raven hair swayed made it look like she was being followed by the wind, her eyes crinkled in the cutest of ways when she smiled, her slender toned body promised of sinful sleepless nights and unbelievable wet dreams. But it all ended in the physical.

 

“I don’t even know her. Why would she want to kill me?” Raucous laughter followed and Yifan didn’t like to be put on the spot. “Hey! Care to explain?” Was she one of the girls he slept with in the past? He was sure there were one or two Koreans in his past conquests.

 

“Wow! You’re only the second person I know who didn’t catch the virus!” Minho was now standing up, all traces of alcohol gone, clapping like a hungry baboon. They were all fans of Joonmyeon. One time or another.

 

“Will you all stop talking in riddles and actually explain to me what on earth you’re going on about!” Yifan thundered.

 

Luhan did the honors. “Kim Joonmyeon’s the goddess of SM High. Word got out that you snubbed her on your first day. She was totally mad. She’s not used to being ignored. And I think you should have your eyes checked if you really didn’t notice that hot little thing.”

 

“Another entitled , huh?” In the circle he moved in, these kinds of girls were not uncommon. In fact, most of them wanted his attention. And he was very happy to oblige.

 

“That’s a very apt description, if I say so myself.” Jonghyun cackled. “Although she’s a lot more than that.”

 

“So you guys like her but you don’t like her?” He found it weird that they all seemed to have the hots for her but hated her at the same time. Was she really that bad?

 

“Yes and if you want your stay here to be worthwhile, you’ll definitely like my idea.” Sehun huddled them conspiratorially.

 

A/N: Big thank you to all who took interest :)