Alternate Ending I

As Sweet as Honey
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sung Joon - Today

The brownish green haze looming over the city was the first sight I took notice of as I rolled into the country's capital. The thick smog seeped through the cracks of my suburban and filled the interior with a funky smell, causing me to cough a few times as I fanned the air. This atmosphere was extremely foreign, as was everything else about this place. I was never used to seeing buildings that towered hundreds of meters over my head, or the dozens of people that carelessly crossed the street without a second thought, causing my eyes to widen like saucers before stomping on the brakes in a panic. I wasn't accustomed to the heavy traffic either, or the strange feeling in my chest which had more to it than just the mere hustle and bustle of such an enormous community. I had a daunting task ahead of me, one that I had been putting off for quite some time now.

Flicking the switch on the side of the steering wheel, I initiated the right turn signal before swerving into an empty parking slot. I then changed the gear and pulled the e-brake as it groaned under the force, followed by removing my keys and rummaging through my bag until my hand found a grip on the sleek phone burrowed inside. A notification flashed on the screen, informing me of a single text in my inbox, and with a few brief taps, I opened the message and skimmed its contents.

Have a safe trip in Beijing! Although I won't be able to accompany you since I'm practically booked this entire month, I hope the two of you do a lot of catching up and get to know each other again. I know it's been a while. Give him my best regards, and let him know I'm always down for a man-to-man chat over some beer. Stay safe and have fun, alright? xx

Smiling gently, I stowed away my phone and collected my things, before stepping out of the vehicle and entering the Beijing air.

What was I doing in Beijing on this incredibly sweltering mid-summer day you ask? To put it quite simply, Luhan had called me up one night to inform me he had been promoted and was being relocated from Shanghai to the capital, which was about an hour drive away from our hometown, and he wanted to celebrate with me over a meal.

In the six years it took me to finish university, it took Luhan approximately half that time, giving him an advantage in the work field. He was able to receive an internship with a major company down in Shangai during his junior year, and was later allowed to work full time once he graduated. Luhan earned a six-figure salary while traveling the globe and doing business with foreigners, experiencing all the different cultures, and meeting unique and interesting people.

However, while many opportunities arose for him during these past few years, I was stuck in a four by four apartment living off of scraps and funneling knowledge from textbooks, since I had decided to move out of the dormitories after my third or fourth year when my savings were being eaten up. But after I was through with university and got my bachelor's, I took the strenuously long train ride home and moved back into my old room, where I had spent the entirety of my youth.

As my purse swung by its leather strap while it hung from the crook of my arm, I shuffled in front of the foreboding restaurant doors trying to shake out my jitters. My heart was beating erratically in my chest at the thought of all the numerous conversations we would have while sitting across from each other. I wondered what he looked like now since it had been too long since I last saw him. I wondered whether his eyes would light up the moment he saw me. Did he still have his boyish charm? Did he still wear shirts that fit just a little too loosely, or wear earrings that dangled from his lobe? What about his goofy smile? Would his laughter still make my mouth go dry?

With a sigh, I pushed the torrent of worries and doubts to the back of my mind. Things were different now. I changed. He probably did as well. With this weighing heavily in my conscience, I raised my head and steeled my nerves before pushing past the doors and facing this hurdle head-on.

The moment I rounded the corner and saw him over the indoor shrubbery which acted as partitions, he rose languidly from his seat while dusting off his vest. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was surprised to say the least when I found myself acting so naturally; taking his hand without hesitation and smiling with ease.

"Hey, it's been a while," Luhan greeted smoothly.

"Indeed, it has. How have you been?"

"Great. And you?"

"Good," I responded as I shrugged off my jacket and swept it over the back of a chair, "Congratulations on your promotion by the way."

The man smiled tightly, with a jesting glint in his eyes. "Thank you."

I raised an eyebrow, but said nothing more as I smoothed out my chiffon skirt and rested in the ornate chair; intricate designs were carved into every nook and cranny. He followed my actions. A part of me was expecting him to compliment my appearance in some way upon arrival, but seeing he hasn't yet, I was slightly disappointed.

"Did you order anything yet?"

"No, I haven't."

I nodded in response as my line of sight drifted from the menu laid out before me and back to him. Luhan... Even before I had actually spoken to him, he indeed felt different—it may have the way he carried himself, or maybe it was just the fact that he had seen so much of the vast world that was far beyond me, I didn't know. But I knew for certain he changed. Not in a good or bad way, but he was just different.

Luhan's eyes flickered to my face as well, and there was this hint of amusement in them, however, I could not put my finger on the reason why. I bit gently on the tip of my tongue, wondering how I should approach him with the question, but he quickly cut me off with: "The waiter is here."

Realizing I had yet to open the menu, I frantically parted the folds with one swift motion and scanned its insides while Luhan pointed to his own and spoke to the gentleman.

"And for you miss," the man hovering over us asked politely.

"I-I'll have the... the citrus chicken sorrento." I grimaced at my choice of selection as the words left my mouth. I was never a fan of chicken, but it was already too late to change my order for the waiter had already left.

A soft chuckling could be heard across the table.

With agitation pinching the space between my brows, I queried, "What's so funny?"

The man only shook his head. "It's nothing. Nothing."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah," he replied nonchalantly, again wearing that tight smile.

We chatted about things that held no importance. He rambled on about sports before steering the conversation to the economy and politics, which I took pleasure in contributing bits of information here and there. We were both beating around the bush, and this bout of nonsense continued until the food arrived, in which I found—

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter