C h a p t e r 2

The Salty, Vast Sea
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


❝ Is someone in there? ❞ ❝ Huh? No....❞       ❝ You're acting strange, brother.❞
It was a little past ten when a knock came in contact with the wooden front door. Jiyeon jolted up from her seat in the living room and headed over. 

Pulling the door wide open, her sparkling eyes met Seungho's deadpan ones. Until he bolted her his signature smile.    In the kitchen Soohyun was just a step away from backhugging Seyeon, his arms were around her as he guide her from behind.   Soohyun was mumbling into Seyeon's ear; giving her some cooking lessons.    Jiyeon ran into the kitchen first, "Bro Seungho is here!" She announced as she spun around and waved for him to enter.    Once Seungho enter, Soohyun moved away from Seyeon to greet the younger with a toothy smile. "Oh Seungho." He wiped his hands on his thighs.    "Sorry I'm late."    "Oh don't worry about it. Of course work comes first, besides we're still cooking so  just wait a little bit more and everything will be ready."    "Sure. I'll just use your restroom-"   "Oh no!" Soohyun cleared his throat to compose himself calmly, he just recalled the strange creature or woman in the bathroom. "Uh the toilet's clogged so I'll have to fix it first."    "I just need to wash my hands. And while I'm at it, I'll also take a look at it for you."   "No! I mean, you really don't have to. I'll take care of it, just uh wash your hands at the sink over here." Soohyun gestured toward the sink in the kitchen.    Jiyeon frowned in response to Soohyun's abnormal behavior, "Bro, what's wrong with you? It's just the toilet, it's not like the sink in the bathroom is clogged too right?"    "I'll just take a look." Seungho started, Soohyun's jaw dropped a little when he was at a loss.    Seungho was about to reach for the door when Soohyun quickly block his way, leaning against the closed door. "Brother-in-law, listen to me fir-"   Inside they heard water being splashed.    Seungho peeked over Soohyun's shoulder as a sign that he could hear the noise.    Jiyeon and Seyeon were now standing from a short distance, watching them in silence.    "Uh that's the toilet. You see the sewer's pipe lines are broken--so water has been pumping out from the bathroom. It's best not to open the door or the water would leak out and flood the carpets." Soohyun explained.    Seungho wore no expression at Soohyun's actions. Until they heard a voice coming from the bathroom.    "Are you out there?"   Jiyeon's jaw literally dropped. "Are you hiding a woman in there?" She asked as she approached them.    Soohyun shook his head, "It must be the neighbors talking too loud. You know how the aunts next door can get pretty loud...." Then he released a nervous chuckle, hoping they've bought the unconvincing story.    Soohyun was mentally begging Seungho to drop the intention of needing to check and use the restroom.    He works for animal security after all. If Seungho discovered the weird woman in the tub who knows what will happen?    "How about we all just come back here and set up the table for supper...? The food must be getting cold." Seyeon suggested.    Jiyeon sighed, "Let's eat. I'll help Seyeon set up." Jiyeon nodded at Seyeon as they left to prepare the food.    Seungho watched as Soohyun was still attached to the door as if his life depended on it. His eyes wavered a little.   "Is someone in there?" Seungho questioned in  a low voice.    "Huh? No....No one's in there...."    After a short staring contest, Seungho gave up.    "Let's go help them then." He said.     Soohyun nodded, satisfied. "I'll be behind you."    Once they've settled down to enjoy their late supper together, Soohyun decided to break the awkward ice in the atmosphere.    "So uh, since the toilet and sink pipe lines are broken. Jiyeon, do you want to spend the night at Seungho's?"    Jiyeon choked on her water as it entered the wrong tube, due to her brother's shocking voice. Seyeon pat and rubbed Jiyeon's back to help her with her coughing.    Seungho could only look up from his full plate.    "W-what?" Jiyeon asked, as if she didn't hear the first time.    "I asked if you wanted to sleep over at Seungho's place tonight. In case you have work tomorrow and there won't be a working bathroom for you to use." Soohyun said, trying to look as normal as possible.    "You're acting strange brother. You used to always against the idea of me spending a night at Seungho's." Jiyeon brought up, indirectly telling him that he's not thinking like himself right now.    "That's because we had a working bathroom." Soohyun argued his point.    Jiyeon couldn't help but exchange a glance with Seyeon. Both wondering what tricks Soohyun was up to.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter