2014 September 20 (Fall) 2

First Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Seo Jaehee! Lee Suho!” Park Joowon, was running like a child. When he finally reached us, he did not hesitate and gave us both a hug.

“Hey Park Joowon, how have you been these past five years?” I struggled to be free from his embrace, and so was Suho, “How come we haven’t heard anything from you?”

He smile wore off and suddenly looked sober, “It was complicated. Suho’s dad told us to cut all our ties from him, and I had no idea why you disappeared as well Jaehee ya,” he looked at Suho with a face full of hurt and betrayal, “You too Lee Suho… Why did you do the same? I mean, you never listen to your father’s orders.”

Suho looked puzzled. Perhaps Joowon doesn’t know that he lost his memories, “He… Suho got into an accident Joowon ah, and he lost his memories after that.”

Joowon’s eyes widened, “Actually, I was with you when you got hit by the car. I... I never imagined that the outcome will be that bad.”

“You were with me?” Suho looked interested. It seems like he has a lot to tell Suho right now.

Joowon nodded and started to embrace Suho again. This time he was wailing, “I thought you and Jaehee escaped from your father’s evilness and decided to live far away, together, without even telling me. I mean, at least I should be invited in your wedding or something, ‘cause well… I’m your friend too!”

Instead of struggling free from Joowon’s intense hug, Suho patted Joowon’s back, “So you were the Park Joowon Jaehee’s been telling me about.”

I nodded, “The only Park Joowon in your life.”

“The one and only, and you forgot me!” he pulled back to wipe his own tears.

After Joowon’s intense wailing for his lost friends, he led us to Suho’s house where he was staying since we left. Suho’s father figured that if Suho forgot all his memories, he wouldn’t have any reason to go back to Cheongsando, so it was still alright for Joowon’s family to continue being the caretakers of their home. When we arrived, Suho didn’t recognize anything as expected but with Joowon’s stories about him while we were walking, it felt as if everything was familiar.

If we decided to sleep here last night, we could’ve seen Joowon sooner…

“Sir? ”Joowon’s father reluctantly welcomed us. It was clear that he was afraid to cause any problems to Suho’s dad, “What brings you here? I doubt your father would be—”

“Don’t worry Mister Park,” Suho assured him, “Father does not know a thing about me coming here.”

Joowon’s father relaxed, and gave Suho a warm smile, “Back then you used to call me uncle.”

Suho couldn’t say a thing so Joowon answered his father for him, “Dad, Suho lost his memories because of the accident. It’s better if we don’t pressure him about telling him what he was back then.”

Coming from the person who keeps on talking about Suho’s past since we got here... Even Suho gave him a weird look.

“It’s okay… I actually came here to know who I was back then.”

We were at Suho’s bedroom, and Joowon’s father was busy preparing our food. It’s my first time entering here. I wasn’t curious before, as to what his bedroom looked like, but as we entered, everything was the opposite of what I imagined it would be. The room was clean; no posters or any magazines lying on the floor. I asked Joowon if they redecorated Suho’s bedroom or removed everything in it.

“We did nothing Jaehee ya,” he replied, “We just replaced his sheets and put his things in box right there.”

He pointed to a box that was under Suho’s bed. Joowon reached for it, sat at the bed and began opening the box. Suho was obviously curious as to what the contents of the box were, and immediately sat beside Joowon. I walked towards the window, to see the view from his room.

“These were the only photo albums you kept in your room Suho ya,” Suho took it and started opening the albums one by one, “You used to spend every summer here in the island with your mom when you were still a little boy.”

It was the first time, since reuniting with Suho after five years, to hear someone talking about his mother in front of him. The conversation made me feel uncomfortable, but Suho didn’t seem to mind. He was silently looking at the photos, and Joowon was back to explore the box.

“This was your ipod,” he turn it on and gave the music player to Suho after he was done with the albums, “I expected to see 100% rock, given that you were the gangster type back then, but your playlist entitled ‘Rain’ shocked me the most. I never knew you had a thing for piano pieces, but what bothered me was why you named that playlist ‘Rain’, I mean you hated the rain, or you used to be.”

I created that playlist for him so that he can listen to it whenever it rains, to calm him down. Instinctively, Suho turned to look at me, as if confirming an explanation that he hypothesized in his head. I nodded, and he turned back to the box Joowon was holding, and something caught his attention.

“What is that?” I walked closer to see what he was pointing at and saw that it was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter