Memories...

Fool
Mid-December,
 
"Sooyeon-ah! Your dinner is ready."
 
"Okay!" Sooyeon locked the drawer and took a seat in a table. She was working at the inn as the manager now just because she was bored when all the other ones were working.
 
"Merry Christmas." Yul greeted and put down the tray in front of the girl. 
 
"Christmas special meal with special rice cake dish and special noodle for the special guest."
 
"Wow.. Sounds delicious!" Sooyeon held the spoon and the fork straight and glanced at the feast.
 
"Enjoy." Yul playfully bowed 90' and turned back before he was grabbed strongly by a hand. 
 
"Wait." 
 
"Let's see.. What have you got me this time?" 
 
She had developed a new habit of searching things in Yul's jacket on certain days. Yul bought her little presents every now and then but was not fast enough to give them to her before she found them.
 
Sooyeon searched every pocket on Yul's jacket until her fingertips touched something soft. She pulled it out.
 
It was a scarf. A beautifully knitted scarf as white as snow on one side and completely black on the other. Both sides had cutely sewn J, showing who was the owner.  
 
"Wow.. It's nice!"
 
"I kinda knitted it." Yul said, rubbing the back of his head. 
 
"You know how to knit, too?"
 
"I've been learning from Sunny these days."
 
Sooyeon tried it on and grabbed Yul's arm. She felt so warm. 
 
"Let's go."
 
*********
 
December 31st,
 
"Happy new year!" the 9 shouted altogether.
 
The night was no longer young as the moon shone brightly. 
 
Sooyeon laid her head on Yul's shoulder. She was wearing the scarf that Yul gave her.
 
"I'll tell you my secret I've never told anyone before." she smiled sheepishly.
 
"Okay."
 
"My first kiss was a girl."
 
"How come?"
 
"I don't know. I just wanted to kiss her hehe. I was 7 back then."
 
"..."
 
"You're not even surprised or feel something?"
 
"Should I?"
 
"That's why I told you. I know I can count on you, Yul."
 
"Can I tell you another one?"
 
"Sure."
 
"I accidentally ripped your mickey's ear."
 
*********
 
January,
 
"Wow!!" Sooyeon ran to Yul's bike.
 
"You upgraded it!"
 
"You said you don't want a bike for your own."
 
"Yeah.. sitting here is so much better."
 
A comfy light blue cushion was attached to the rear seat of the bicycle for Sooyeon to be more comfortable. 
 
"Let's go ride around the town." said Sooyeon, hopping on the improved seat.
 
*********
 
"Fany ah.. Tell me. Fany ah." Sooyeon nagged the girl while lying on her bed.
 
"Nothing really happened! I just liked him a bit and he seemed to like me, too."
 
"And then!?" her head lifted. 
 
"I confessed."
 
"AND THEN!?" higher. 
 
"He left the town that day. He's the son of some minister an always going around the country."
 
"Aww..." she collapsed. 
 
"Do you still like him? Are you not accepting Taengoo because of him?"
 
Tiffany lay beside her.
 
"Not really. Tae Tae is like my best friend. We've known each other forever and I just can't think of him as a man."
 
"Back then, Taeyeon really disliked him. Yul quite got along with him though. They used to play everyday. But Taeyeon and he got into a fight one day and he punched Taeyeon. Yul did not talk to him ever since that day."
 
"Really? But he's so weak."
 
"Not when Yul's really mad. That rascal can be so scary sometimes haha." Sunny came into the room.
 
"But he seems to really love Taengoo. Not as much as he loves Yoona though."
 
"I think it's because Taeyeon was the one who understood him when he had to use gestures."
 
"Oh I heard Yul was mute for a year or two when he was 6. What happened?"
 
"I don't remember the details but he was there when a hospital was on fire. I think it left him a big trauma. Imagine people leaving their sick ones to survive, people who had to die because they can't move. Kids. Human in fire and so much worse things only Yul knows what he saw. They sure messed up a 6-year-old's life greatly."
 
"It must have been really bad if it could make him refuse to even talk."
 
"He hardly smiles after that. It took him years to be himself again, all dorky and happy."
 
"Ah..I miss the kid Yul. The happiest person on earth and knows nothing except Yoona."
 
"He reeally loves her, doesn't he? I've never seen such a brother." Sooyeon added. 
 
"Haha yes. Remember when she caught typhoid, he starved together with her?" Tiffany told Sunny and Seohyun. Seohyun came in earlier and grabbed a chair nearby. 
 
"But Yul loves you so much, too, Sooyeon ah. Don't be jealous." Tiffany continued, receiving a slap on the arm from the girl.
 
"I don't think so. He doesn't even tell me 'I love you'." 
 
"Maybe because he's too shy. But it's obvious that he does. You're his first love after all."
 
"Am I? He hasn't dated before!?" she was a bit surprised. 
 
"No. There're several girls who have a crush on him but nobody managed to date him." said Sunny.
 
"But you came in like a wrecking ball and destroyed their dreams, didn't you?" Tiffany teased Sooyeon. 
 
"Hey. You have no right to be saying that. You're worse than a wrecking ball to Taeng's fangirls. The wall of China."
 
"Yah!"
 
"Shu.. Sooyeon unnie is sleeping." They looked at where Seohyun is staring. 
 
"But didn't she just wake up?" Sunny was surprised.
 
*********
 
"Oh my.." Yul nearly screamed when he saw a figure sleeping beside him.
 
It was Sooyeon. 
 
She stirred and put her leg on Yul upon hearing a sound.
 
Yul shut up and stayed quiet.
 
How nice it would be if every morning is like this.. , he daydreamed. 
 
*********
 
"Ahh..it's always so good here." said Sooyeon, laying comfortably on Yul's thigh.
 
"Get some sleep. You stayed up so late with Yoona last night, right?" Yul said, recalling the sleepover Sooyeon had at Yoona's room.
 
"Ummhmm.. put me to sleep."
 
Yul caressed her forehead gently as he usually did for her. She loved it.
 
Soon, she fell asleep. Her face was glowing under the spots of sun light which the leaves of the tree failed to shield.
 
Yul covered the rays with his palm. Although his hand couldn't compare with the sun, it was enough for that moment.
 
*********
 
Yul was having a break time in the kitchen as the breakfast time was over. He watched Sooyeon work through the glass while cooling the lime juice in the refrigerator for her.  
 
"Isn't she so lovely? No wonder our Yul is head over heels for her." he could hear the three old ladies' conversation through the small window.
 
A wide grin appeared in his face.
 
"Right. She's so lucky to have a guy like Yul. He's so kind and caring."
 
"This couple is just perfect. The boy's handsome and the girl's beautiful. She works so well, too."
 
Yul smiled upon what he heard before he got interrupted by some teens' gossip.
 
"Isn't that the new girl? Aigoo..she looks like a spoiled brat who does not lift a finger."
 
Yul frowned when he heard the spoiled brat part.
 
"I heard Yul oppa's dating with her. Tsk tsk. He could do so much better."
 
Yul's frown deepened.
 
"But she's so beautiful so of course he would fall for her. She looks kind too."
 
He smiled.
 
"I don't think so. She's just acting pretty in front of a guy customer."
 
Yul looked at Sooyeon and frowned. He was saddened.
 
"Omo..our oppa's not going to be dumped, is he?"
 
"I don't think so. He's the best catch in town. Well..he deserves it since he chose that sly fox over us. I heard he really loves her so much. He did things that he usually doesn't for her." they giggled.
 
Yul raged. 
 
"Hey hey. I once saw his body when he accidentally took off the shirt together with the jacket. And he's so damn hot."
 
"Of course he is. He, Taeng and Soo oppa fight, right?"
 
It's material art.. and I regret that I only learned self-defense cause I want to kick you all to another world. 
 
"Aigoo..tsk tsk. Look at her faking all smiles. Must be tired." the girl spoke as she shoved a spoonful.
 
Pftt..eating the food I made and insulting the girl I love..
 
Yul turned to Sooyeon and saw her heading to the girls' table, probably to ask if they wanted anything.
 
He sprang up and power-walked to her. He didn't want her to get close to those girls.
 
"Sooyeon. Er..why not take a little break. There aren't many people, too. I prepared a drink for you." he pulled her into the kitchen, leaving the girls all jealous.
 
Sooyeon didn't have much time since there were two customers coming into the inn. Two middle-aged men.
 
The one with beard whistled as soon as he came in while the other with glasses stared at Sooyeon almost rudely.
 
Yul burned in anger but he kept it in. He had always been good at it.
 
Sooyeon noticed it and grinned. She loved it when Yul's like this.
 
"Table for two, girl."
 
There are more than ten damn empty tables for god sake..did you have to ask her?
 
It was then that Hyoyeon came into the kitchen.
 
"Things going well? I just visited Tae-
 
"Ah my stomach.. I have to go to the bathroom. Replace me for a while."
 
He dashed to the back, leaving Hyoyeon to cook for the two.
 
*********
 
February,
 
"Hurry up, Yoona! We're gonna late." Yul knocked his sister's room. It's lunar new year and they're dressing up to greet the elders in town.
 
"Aigoo..I'm coming. Just because he wants to see Sooyeon unnie.." Yoona came out of her room. She was so adorable in the blue hanbok. Yul looked handsome in the red traditional clothes, too.
 
Then the two of them stopped by the inn to fetch Sooyeon and Hyoyeon. Taeyeon said he would bring Tiffany so they only went to Seohyun's house before going to Taeng's house.
 
The street of the town was filled with people. They all were greeting the elders in the first morning of the new year.
 
Sooyeon was still so sleepy since she had to get up early. They met Sooyoung on the way and marched to Taeng's house together. All the grandparents of Sooyoung, Tiffany and Taeyeon gathered at Taeng's house. Those of Hyoyeon and YoonYul had passed away.
 
After bowing and greeting the elders, everyone received his or her pocket-money. The chilly morning was all smiles.
 
"You must be Sooyeon, right?" Taeyeon's grandma asked.
 
Sooyeon smiled and nodded.
 
"You're such a fine young lady."
 
Grandma took a hand of hers in her own and caressed it.
 
"Take good care of our Yul. I believe you will. He had lead a harder life than anyone and only you can comfort him. He loves you, dear. It's all written on his face."
 
She smiled and nodded again. 
 
*********
 
Well...it's short but since it's Taengoo's birthday.. :) by the way, why is the title Memories?