The First Meeting

Fool

Yul tilted his body slightly. 

"Much better", a dorky, satisfied smile appeared.

Yul then started to sketch the white view of Autumn morning under him.

Under him?

Yes, Yul was lying down on his favorite thick, firm branch of a tree which he tested multiple times if it could handle his weight. Eying anywhere as far as his eyes showed, chilling as usual.

Although he had seen the priceless view under him for all his life, he still came to sit or even lie on a branch whenever Autumn visited the town.

Pure snow that no one had laid their feet on lined the sides of the stone path, trees with the unique color of Fall and peacefulness were exactly what Yul loved to have the first in the morning. And a tiny hint of the sun rising from the east perfected it. 

"Hi, Yul!"

"Yo, my favorite baby girl! Quite early today, huh?"

Yul bent down and smiled wide waving to a three-year-old girl passing by and continued his sketch. 

He was too absorbed in the sketch that he didn't noticed his surrounding. Including a girl who sat down on the bench right under his tree.

Yul gave the last touch to his sketch. He still did not want to come down and kept himself busy playing with a leaf.

"Red" he mouthed and motioned his fingers as if they were sprinkling something on it.

Surprisingly, it turned red. And Yul had a victory smirk on his lips. 

"Blue", he repeated.

"Green", the leaf followed his instruction again.

"Pink", the leaf did turn pink but unfortunately, it fell.

Yul pouted and rested his head back on the stem only to lift it again as he heard a human.

"Huh?"

Yul bent down yet again curiously to look at the owner of the voice.

And Yul was met with a pair of brown eyes staring back to his. He was startled and that caused him lose the balance.

Yul fell onto the ground right in front of the girl with a thud. By good fortune, the snowy grass was there to lessen his pain.

Embarrassed, he could not remember to feel the pain and immediately sprang up brushing the dust away from his body.

"Ahem.. hi", Yul smiled and greeted the girl awkwardly who seemed to have no idea what just happened. She just blankly stared at the creature that fell from the sky all of a sudden.

"Hehe", Yul upgraded his smile even wider trying his best to look friendly and most importantly, not weird.

"I..was sketching up there and I just happened to fall down, haha"

"Ahem.. S-sorry if I startled you" Yul kept his eyes on the ground feeling guilty.

Until he heard a giggle.

"There's snow on your hair"

Yul felt a hand reach for his head and gently brush off the snow. He looked at the girl feeling strange. The smile on her face was so lovely.

"Clean now"

"T-thank you" Yul looked away from her and picked up his sketch book lying on the ground.

"Is this yours?", she asked with the pink leaf in her hand.

Yul nodded.

"How'd you do that? It's cute" she handed it to Yul.

"Just little tricks. You can have it. I have plenty of that" Yul smiled at her.

"Oh..thanks" 

"Welcome", the two ran out of words to say for a while.

"You must be new here", Yul broke the silence.

"Um.. yeah. Just arrived this morning"

"Oh"

The girl looked she had something to say but confused if she should or not. 

Yul could read it and waited for her.

"You know.. I'm wondering if.."

"Oppa!", a tall, young lady interrupted her. She power-walked towards Yul and grabbed his hand.

"I was searching EVERYWHERE and-

The tall girl stopped herself as she just discovered another girl standing.

"H-hi..?", the girl was confused seeing a new face.

"Hi, I'm J-Jung Soo-yeon", she decided not to say her widely-used name as they did not seem to know who she was.

"Im YoonA", she extended her hand and Soo-yeon took it.

"I've never seen you around", Yoona said.

"Oh..I just arrived this morning" Soo-yeon repeated what she said to Yul before.

"Have you eaten?" Yoona asked.

Hmm..a very strange question to ask a stranger.

She was amused by the both of them. One was a weirdo and one was standing like a statue with his mouth sealed. 

"No.."

"Then why not we go grab breakfast. I'm starving." asked Yoona. She sure seemed really hungry.

"Sure." Soo-yeon agreed after taking a second to think.

*********

It was a nice place, the restaurant. It was nothing grand like those where Soo-yeon usually had meals at but it sure was a cute and neat one. And it served fantastic food.

The three of them just finished their breakfast and now are with a drink in their hands.

"Feel free to ask us if anything" Yoona said after sipping her strawberry juice.

"Thanks. By the way, do you know a good hotel around?" Soo-yeon felt much comfortable since Yoona was a girl. They became close in a blink of eye.

"There are a few. I'll show you around later so you can choose"

Soo-yeon nodded while shoving a big strawberry into .

All this time, Yul remained silent and just watched the two.

********

Soo-yeon slowly lost her hope after seeing 2 hotels. One had a rude manager and another was under renovation. This was going to be the last one so she was praying hard.

But as she saw the hotel, she was impressed.

Although it did not seem so high-class but it was very clean and gave a warm feel.

"Hey Hyoyeon!", Yul finally let his voice be heard and called out someone mopping the floor. 

"Sup, man!", he immediately ran to Yul with the mop still in his hand.

They hi-fived with their fists. 

"So..how come you visit me"

"We need a room"

"You and her?", Hyoyeon pointed at Yul and Soo-yeon with popping eyes.

"No no no no! She needs a room and we are helping her not we but we!" Yul blushed.

"I knew it. Why would such a beautiful girl like Kwon Yul" he mumbled.

So, his name is Kwon Yul.. thought Soo-yeon.

"Yah. Just go get a room-key", Yul said and walked to the vending machine quite far from there and Yoona followed. The blushing Yul was quite cute.

Meanwhile, Hyoyeon took a particular key out amd handed it to Soo-yeon.

"Here. I'll give you the best room since you came with Yul. You know..he's not the type to go around with any girl except Yoona." Hyoyeon winked.

"Is it okay to just give me a room without telling the manager?" Soo-yeon eyed the mop he was holding. 

"Who cares that idiot. Just have it" he smiled widely.

"Don't I need to fill any paper?"

"What paper? I don't use paper. I trust you since you came with Yul"

Oh my god..what kind of people  am I meeting since I'm here.. And how great is Yul that everything is okay just because it's him. 

"O..kay" she still had her doubts. Enormous doubts.

What if I get into trouble like this?

Never mind. I have Yul.

*********

"Where is your luggage?"

"I did not bring any"

Yul had a confused expression.

"Don't worry. I'm not a criminal or anything. You're safe"

"Haha. I did not mean that. I was just wondering what you are going to wear"

"I'll go shopping today"

"Okay then."

Only the two of them were talking at the lobby since Yoona had gone to her classes. 
 
"Yul.."

Yul looked at her with a slight hint of surprise written on his face.

The way she calls my name feels strangely sweet.

"It's your name, right? I heard others calling you"

"Yes, it is. You want anything?"

"Hyo..Hyoyeon? He gave me the keys"

"Yeah?"

"Without telling the manager or asking me to fill any paper"

"Oh.. Don't worry. He's like that sometimes"

"Will it be okay?"

"Of course. Hyoyeon is the owner of this hotel"

"Really!? Then why was he mopping the floor!?"

"Why can't an owner clean his hotel?"

Yul laughed. He looked younger when he did.

Later, they both waved goodbye and parted ways.

*********

On his way back to home, thoughts about the girl came along with him.

Why would one visit this little unknown town alone? Plus she did not bring her bags..

Why would I care.. It's not like we're going to meet again.

Wait.. I won't get to meet her again?

I do want to meet her again.

So what..

It's pointless anyway.

It's not like I'm gonna die if I can't see her again.

*********

Yul was absorbed in painting something.

He usually loved to paint the scenarios and stuffs but this time, it was a portrait.

Yul had drawn portrait only 2 times in his whole life.

One was Yoona's, and one was his dog's.

Except those, he did try to draw someone, his future-wife.

Yul tried to imagine his future-wife's features and put them on the paper but it never came out as a likeable one so he ended up tossing the papers into the bin.

Yul had always been loving his future-girl since childhood although he had no idea who she would be nor had he seen her.

Whenever he failed to draw a portrait of hers, Yoona would by saying, "Maybe the girl doesn't exist or you're gonna end up as a bachelor" and Yul would chase her. 

And Yoona would say "Look at you... This must be why your wife runs away from you" and Yul would pout and the fight would be ended by playing games together.

Yul touched the white surface with his brush. The picture slowly began to show a girl. If one looked at the painting, the angle of the girl was as if you were watching her from some distance in a slightly higher position. And the girl was facing the right side. 

But the image was so blur that you would not be able to tell who she was unless you were familiar with the girl.

The half-closed eyes of hers as she was looking downwards, a part of her high-bridge nose, thin lips, an eyebrow were everything you could see about her features. And everything else were covered by her silky brown hair. At her neck, the first two buttons of a white, long-collar shirt were seen undone.

Yoona stared at the painting in awe as she came into the room. 

"Who's this?"

She looked at Yul. 

"I don't know. I..I just drew what my hands lead me to"

"No, you actually do."

Yoona said with a smile. 

"Kwon Yul, look at her. You know who she is."

She grabbed Yul's head with both hands and forced him to look at his own painting.

"It's Soo-yeon. Even if I can't see her face, I can tell that she is definitely Soo-yeon"

"Now tell me.."

"Do you like her?"

*********