Farewell

Fool

Taeyeon and Sooyoung walked into the inn, arms over each other's shoulders.

Getting themselves a table, they sat down and gesticulated at Hyoyeon to bring them two cups of tea which instead earned them a fist.

"How polite!" Sooyoung remarked sarcastically at Hyoyeon's reaction and shook his head.

On the other side of the table, Taeyeon cared little about the whole thing and was looking all over the inn with the eyes of a hawk.

"Stop searching, kid. There's nothing to steal here." Sooyoung looked at Taeyeon with disgust and pretended to move away from him.

"It's not time to joke around, you idiot. Sooyeon is missing, don't you notice?" said Taeyeon with a serious expression.

"Yeah, where is she?" Sooyoung just remembered and turned around to ask Hyoyeon.

"Probably still sleeping upstairs," Hyoyeon shrugged while mopping the floor.

"No. No. Something feels off," Taeyeon shook his head with doubt while staring at Yul who was just coming out of the kitchen.

"It seems Sooyeon's late today, huh?" Sooyoung asked Yul teasingly.

"Oh, she left for the city this morning. Her grandma is not very well and she wants to be with her for some time," said Yul nonchalantly.

"I thought she had no relatives, no?" questioned Taeyeon doubtfully.

"Not a relative but someone she is very close with she said," Yul replied.

"I see. When is she coming back?" Sooyoung nodded and asked.

"I don't know. Maybe when the old lady recovers."

"I guess you're going to be lonely then," Hyoyeon punched Yul's arm slightly with a playful smirk.

"I guess your income is going to be reduced by fifty percent then," Sooyoung tugged Hyoyeon's shirt and said.

"Why?" questioned Hyoyeon with a puzzled expression.

"No more male customers coming just to see Sooyeon and..."

"And what?"

"The food Yul makes won't be as delicious without Sooyeon, will it be?"

*********

A week later,

"Can you stop that already?" said Hyoyeon, irritated.

"Stop what?" Yul replied with a laugh.

"Spacing out and going deaf from time to time. Geez, I understand it's tough not having Sooyeon around and all but it's getting creepy,"

Hyoyeon faked a chill causing everyone including Yul to laugh loudly.

"We can't really blame Yul for it," said Sunny.

"Why?"

Sunny did not say a word but instead pointed at a man sitting across the inn secretly, causing everyone to laugh even louder.

The man was an admirer of Sooyeon. He used to come everyday. And he still came to the inn sometimes, even after Sooyeon had left. He would always sit quietly and watch over her although he now sat with a rather gloomy expression.

Meanwhile, Yul spaced out. Again.

*********

A month later,

It was lunch break. Yul walked out of the kitchen and stopped to greet when he saw an old lady.

"When is the beautiful lady who works here coming back?" asked the old lady.

"Soon, grandma," Yul replied with a smile.

*********

Two months later,

"Yul,"

"Yes?"

"When is Sooyeon coming back?"

"Soon,"

"You've been saying that since forever," Sooyoung said frustratedly.

"The old lady is taking longer to recover than she thought. Her disease is pretty serious,"

"So you do keep in touch with her,"

"Of course," Yul said sheepishly, with an awkward smile.

*********

"Nonsense!" Taeyeon shook his head firmly.

Everyone except Yul happened to gather in this evening.

"Firstly, there is no reason to make this much effort to help someone just because she's close with her,"

"Okay. Let's just say they are really close. She doesn't need to stay this long. It has been already nearly three months,"

Taeyeon stated and everyone nodded in agreement.

"Plus, she has Yul and us here. Why would Sooyeon leave her lover, her friends and her work this easily and this long?"

"It's just ridiculous." added Taeyeon.

"So, what do you think?" asked Yoona.

"Okay. What I'm trying to say is only my opinion. And I clearly cannot prove anything but.."

"Go on,"

"Sooyeon is lying,"

*********

"What do you mean Sooyeon is lying?"

After a moment of silence, Tiffany popped a question.

"Like I said before, it may be true or it may not. But I'm quite positive that Sooyeon definitely has something to hide from us. From Yul. However, I don't know what it is," answered Taeyeon.

"I don't think so. Yul knows Sooyeon more than anyone. I doubt he'd fall for that," said Seohyun.

"I agree," Tiffany nodded.

"Hey," exclaimed Sunny.

"Don't tell me Yul is aware of all this, too!"

"Is he? But why would he stay still if he does know everything?" said Sooyoung.

"Exactly," Taeyeon agreed.

"We'll just have to wait and see," Hyoyeon concluded.

*********

The bus to the mountain is moving at a slow speed.

There were not many passengers as it was a holiday and people did not need to go to work.

Sitting solemnly on a window seat at the very back of the bus was Yul. The metallic locket resting on his chest sparkled occasionally under the light of the setting sun.

Whenever he felt so wretched that he no longer had control of his facial expressions and actions and whenever he missed her so much, Yul would quietly take a bus to the mountain and spend some time alone.

Nowadays, it had been so hard on him.

Obviously, things had not been going so well ever since Sooyeon left but it was just tough especially these days.

Last year this time, Yul was having the time of his life.

Now, it's just...

*********

Yul lifelessly leaned against the big tree. It was where they always sat.

A sharp pain formed in his chest and spread out through the veins.

The memories alone were more than enough to drain all his remaining energy.

After some time, Yul opened his eyes and reached for something in his right pocket.

A letter was the thing he pulled out with much care and affection.

In fact, Yul had thought about burning this letter many times. Just so he could pretend it never happened.

Yul had even attempted to do so. But he ended up saving it when the paper actually caught fire, earning a burn to his right hand.

After all, it's one of the few traces of Sooyeon. One of the few evidences that she was really here.

And it helped when Yul missed her.

*********

The letter looked a bit weary from being read many times but it was still clean and stainless.

To Yul

The two words in black ink could be seen clearly on the white envelope. The handwriting was pretty and impressive.

For the millionth time, Yul opened the envelope, pulled out and spread out the letter.

The content in the letter had always felt as if each and every single word was supposed to be a knife aimed at him so precisely and accurately that it never failed to reach its target.

Yet, Yul could not go on long without reading it every once in a while.

*********

Yul,

 

        I've been trying to tell you this for quite a while now but I just couldn't bring myself to. So, I guess I end up telling you through this letter.

        I'm leaving, Yul. I've decided to go back to where I belong, to my family. Yes, I do have a family. A loving one. And an occupation which I'm very passionate about. What I told everyone about my life was all made up in order to hide my identity. To be honest, I had a boyfriend with whom I was engaged. Last year, we had a major problem and we got into a fight. I was so mad I ran away from it and thought I'd never return. But I was wrong.

        A month ago, he came to me and asked if we could start over again. I know I shouldn't accept it now that I have you. I shouldn't even be feeling this way. I know very well. I thought about it for a long time. But I guess my heart still hasn't forgotten him. I had to admit. I'm such a terrible person for saying this but I still love him after all this time. The answer was finally this.

         I'm sorry. I know what I've done is unacceptable and saying sorry won't change anything but I really want to let you know that I am sincerely so sorry for everything. I never meant to hurt you. I will not ask you to forgive me because I know I don't deserve it. But if possible, I do hope you won't be hurt too much and that you will be able to forget me soon and meet a good person.
One last thing. Thank you for everything, Yul. I will never come across to someone as good to me as you again in my life. I'm sure about that. From the very first day we met to the moment I'm writing this letter, I'm grateful for everything you have done for me.

         Goodbye, Yul. Wish you all the best.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Sooyeon