Checkmate!

Fool

"Oh my gosh...hmm..this is tiring..hmph...let's...rest....for a while,"

Sooyeon thrown herself onto a rock nearby and tried to catch her breath, resting both of her palms on the rock to support her body. 

"Ahh.. Why isn't there a single convenience store!?" she pouted. 

"Thirsty?" said Yul with a questioning look. 

"Of course! It's a desert in my mouth.." Sooyeon looked frustrated. 

"Here. Have it," Yul handed her a medium-sized bottle of water. 

"Why didn't you give me earlier!?" Sooyeon immediately grabbed it and thirstily gulped the water down. 

"I was not sure if you want it," Yul replied like a guilty child. 

"Babo," Sooyeon said with a smile as she finished drinking. 

Yul smiled along. 

Both of them felt closer. 

"You can call me Sooyeon, not Sooyeon ssi. It feels awkward you know.." said Sooyeon and Yul nodded in reply. 

"Can I call you Yul, too?" she tilted her head. 

"Sure." Yul nodded again. 

"Oh.. And thank you for the shoes!" said Sooyeon while looking at her brand new white shoes.

"No problem" smiled Yul. 

"How did you know that I would need this?" Sooyeon asked curiously. 

"Um.. I saw you wearing heels earlier so I stopped by a shop to get these in case you need them," Yul said, scratching the back of his head. 

"It's a huggggggeee help, Yul! You don't know how much of trouble these stupid heels are!"

Sooyeon stood up and hugged Yul lightly. 

Yul just....

*********

After a few seconds of freezing state, Yul felt awkward as soon as he returned to the earth.

Thankfully, the rose-pink light of dawn saved Yul from running to hide somewhere. 

"Oh! The sun's rising. Let's go..", Yul power-walked leaving Sooyeon behind.

"Wait for me!", Sooyeon quickly followed him with an evil smile on her face.

*********

Just like that, resting and playing around here and there, mostly Sooyeon being the one teasing and Yul being teased, the two of them reached the peak of the mountain. 

"Oh my god! Look at the sky! Do you see that!?", Sooyeon jumped excitedly and pointed at the endless sky which was still dark blue. 

She was showing Yul the unique color of the sky which was a perfect mix of a tint of pink, some orange and blue with a slight hint of white clouds. 

Being headlocked, Yul looked at where she pointed with a smile. He was glad to see the girl he loved this happy because of him. Yes. The girl he loved. He completely admitted that to himself just a while ago. 

Yul could still see the fading moon up there. He smiled at it and high-fived it in his mind. 

Just a minute later, the long-waited sun finally came out and more orange was added to the sky. 

"It's the most beautiful work of art ever!", Sooyeon shouted. She seemed so happy. And so did Yul. 

On September 11th, 2013. 5:58 AM. There were the moon, the sun and the sky looking down at the happy young man and the merry young lady standing on the very top of the mountain of a small town. 

That moment, was the happiest moment in Yul's entire life. 

*********

"Ahh... How delicious!" Sooyeon exclaimed, taking a sip from the steel cup of coffee which she held with both hands to get warmed. The scarf around her neck which she just taken out from her bag was flowing in the air. 

Yul returned the steel bottle to his backpack and gulped down some coffee from his own cup.

"Are you hungry?" Yul asked the girl.

"A little.." Sooyeon turned to smile at him. 

"Which one do you want? Instant noodle? Kimpap? Boiled egg? Or bread?" asked Yul while ping his bag. 

"Woa...you did bring a lot. Bread for me,"

"Yes, ma'am," Yul took one out of his bag and handed it to Sooyeon before pulling out a cup of instant noodle and a small box for himself.

The both of them sat down and Sooyeon took a bite of her bread while Yul prepared his noodle. 

"This is so good. Where did you buy this!?" everything was so new to Sooyeon. 

"Yoona's market. She runs a small one," Yul replied while stirring his cup. 

"Wanna take a bite?" Sooyeon offered Yul her bread. 

"No thanks," he shook his head. 

"Why?", she asked with a huge question mark on her face. 

"I don't like bread," 

"How come...." Sooyeon looked surprised. 

"I like warm food. Have a taste!" Yul offered the cup noodle in his hand that he still hadn't eaten. 

"Why..? You don't like this?" asked Yul seeing her hesitate. 

"No. It's just that..." she stared at the cup. 

"i was not really allowed to eat it. Give me that! I can eat whatever I want now," she motioned Yul to give it to her and took a huge bite. 

"Aw..so tasty," she continuously ate it. 

"Have some Kimchi, too." Yul opened the box and held it near her. 

"Eat slowly, miss! Nobody's going to take your food away," he laughed at the sight of the girl. Yul was very amused. 

"How about you?" Sooyeon then remembered about Yul's food. 

"It's okay. Don't worry. I'll have another one," Yul took out one more cup. 

**********

Yul found it cute that Sooyeon was finishing her noodle in the speed of light without even breathing. 

Finally, she put the cup down. 

"Ha...How long has it been since I've been allowed to eat like this!" exclaimed Sooyeon feeling satisfied. 

Yul also was done with his and cleaned up everything. 

Sooyeon then looked around at the nicest scenerio surrounding her in awe. 

"It's soo beautiful! It's a pity I didn't bring my camera..wait! I still have my phone!" Sooyeon fished her phone out of her bag and took several photos of the view. 

She photographed everything in front of her turning 360' around and then she saw Yul at the corner of her right eye. 

She was about to call out Yul before she saw him in a very peaceful state while gazing at somewhere he was facing. 

Sooyeon smiled and took a photo of the person. 

Even in the picture, Yul looked very peaceful and relaxed as if he had absolute no worries, taking a sip of his coffee. 

Reminded of her real life, Sooyeon looked at Yul with much envy. 

It was then that she decided something so big and important in her life. 

I am never going back.

*********

Sooyeon ran to Yul and put her hand on his right shoulder, slightly clinging to Yul. Of course, the sudden blush on Yul's face didn't go unnoticed by her. 

"Yul! What are we doing now!?" asked Sooyeon attempting to make Yul blush even more. 

"I- I don't know..", with much difficulty. 

"Let's go up there!" she pointed to a giant rock near them. 

They both seated on the ground, leaning a huge tree behind them. 

They remained still just like that, admiring the view from a different angle. 

Taking advantage as Sooyeon closed her eyes, Yul kept stealing glances at the girl. 

Yul felt bad and a little guilty when he saw her shivering slightly although he had no idea why he felt that way. 

So Yul quickly went to his bags and took out a small blanket. 

He came back quietly and put the blanket on the girl who was already sleeping. 

Yul was amused. And he stared at the ground until he felt weight on his right shoulder. 

His stomach felt strange and he became numb for a moment. 

Before Yul's heart started to beat with a newborn rhythm. 

And Yul too, fell asleep. 

*********

It was already sunset when Sooyeon woke up. Yul did not notice her since he was busy chasing away the mosquitoes. 

"Oh my... It's already sunset?" she sat straight up. 

Yul turned to smile at her and nodded. 

"Whoa.. So refreshing.." she yawned and stretched. 

She fetched the water bottle in Yul's hand and gulped down. 

"Let's go down" Yul stood up. 

"What are we doing now?" Sooyeon said, excited at the thought of experiencing something new. 

"We have to go back, it's 5:45" Yul grabbed his bag. 

"Already? I don't want to though.." Sooyeon whispered. 

Yul smiled and motioned her to move like a daddy making his baby girl do something she doesn't want to. 

*********

"Thanks god we're just in time" Yul took one of the five seats located at the very back of the bus.

"The last lap it runs is at 6" Yul said in relaxed expression. 

Hmm...6. Sooyeon let out an evil smile and reminded herself to remember the time. 

As the bus goes down the hill, they couldn't help but stare at the absorbing sight beside them which they couldn't see at dawn with the crowd. 

The two young people were the only passengers on the bus now. And the driver seemed quite dozy. 

"Yul" 

"Yes?"

"I really love this town"

Sooyeon was drowsy despite the long sleep she had just 15 minutes ago. She was smiling. 

*********

Yul and Sooyeon were in front of the inn now. The bicycle Yul left at the bus gate was brought back here and now standing near them. 

"You should rest now. It's tiring, isn't it?" Yul asked with a smile. 

"Not at all" Sooyeon shook her head cutely but her half-closed eyes were proving otherwise. 

"Go rest now" Yul motioned Sooyeon to go into the inn. 

Sooyeon looked at Yul with longing eyes. 

"I love you"

She tiptoed and pressed her lips to those of his.

Yul was startled.

The unknown two things were fighting inside him. The fight was so severe that he felt very tired. 

Soon, Yul gave in. 

*********

The couple felt awkward after the long kiss, especially Yul. 

But the savior Hyoyeon burst opened the door with a huge black garbage bag in his hand. 

He had his headphones around his neck as always, wearing his favorite snapback. 

"Oh hey! You come back only now!? Guys it's over 7! Was it fun?" Hyoyeon said with a wink. 

He threw the bag below the sign "Trash" and went back in, giving the do-well look at Yul. 

Yul just blushed while Sooyeon went inside with a mischievous smile. 

She turned to wave at Yul before the door shut completely. 

Would you believe if I say that it was Kwon Yul's first kiss?

*********