DIVINE

Fool

Sorry for not keeping my promise! I had to go on a month long trip so.. But I wrote this until 5AM so I hope you can forgive me. Oh! And I'm freeee for the rest of the year so expect frequent updates!!

 

*********

 

DIVINE

 

Jessica woke up exhausted. She could hear her heart beating very rapidly due to the dream she just had.

 

She dreamt about her family. The images of her mom, dad, Soojung and her fiancé seemed so real that it was as if they were right in front of her.

 

The dream made her miss them so much. It had been almost a year since she last saw them. 

 

Jessica stared at the view outside through the window, deep in thought. In fact, she was literally gazing at nowhere since it was night and dark outside.

 

 Her heart ached at the thought of Soojung. She was sure her little sister missed her a lot. Would she be crying right now?

 

And her fiancé.. He did hurt her but the memories of the two of them were still precious to her. After all, they had been through so many things together.

 

She had the sudden urge to see them at the moment. The dream had triggered her inner love for her family and friends. Her real life.

 

Jessica wanted badly to go “home” for a moment. The dream made her snap out of her foolish belief that she could live in this town forever, abandoning her family, her fans, her company, her dreams-everything. 

 

Sure. She could not deny that she felt happiness in a way that she had never felt it here, in this town.

 

She loved Yul. She really did.

 

But she would never stop singing.

 

She would never give up her dreams.

 

However, it was clear that she could not have both.

 

If so, she had to give up something.

 

Jessica turned her head to look at Yul who seemed to be sleeping soundly beside her.

 

A faint smile automatically formed on her beautiful face.

 

She touched Yul’s face gently with much care and affection.

 

With tears in her eyes, Sooyeon mouthed.

 

I’m sorry, Yul. Thank you for everything..

 

*********

 

The decision had been made. Jessica planned on going back to Seoul when her fiancé was back which was 3 days later.

 

Now, just one thing bothered her.

 

How to tell Yul about this..

 

She knew very well that Yul loved her so much. That’s why she was afraid Yul would not be able to handle it well.

 

Plus, ever since she had made her decision last night, she felt so guilty towards him that she could not even look into his eyes properly.

 

Perhaps, it could be a good thing for Yul. 

 

Had she been too close to him like usual, it would be tougher for him to say goodbye.

 

But then again, it would be their last few days together. Yul deserved a decent farewell, did he not?

 

Jessica closed her eyes as she did not know what to do anymore.

 

*********

 

The warmth on the right side of her face woke her up. It’s already dawn and the sun was sneaking a peek at their group.

 

It was quite silent in the bus. Nearly everyone in the bus seemed to be still asleep.

 

Then, she saw someone in front of her move. It was Tiffany.

 

She was trying to put the blanket over Taeyeon since it was a bit chilly at dawn.

 

She seemed to care about Taeyeon. Perhaps, a little more than a “friend” does.

 

If not for the boy she had a crush on when she was young, she would have liked Taeyeon already, Jessica thought.

 

She had actually found the two cute since she first met them. She was totally looking forward to seeing the two as a couple.

 

She did not know if she still had the chance to do so now that she was leaving in a few days.

 

She looked around the bus. She wanted to remember these people better, who were so good to her and whom she loved.

 

Sunny was leaning onto the window all alone since Tiffany was busy with Taeyeon. She seemed to be sleeping but Jessica was not sure because she could not see her face.

 

Sooyoung and Hyoyeon were hugging each other and sleeping, the duo that had always made her laugh.

 

Side by side with Yul and her were Yoona and Seohyun.

 

Yoona was sleeping with open while Seohyun was sleeping with her head on Yoona’s shoulder and a book in her hand.

 

The two girls who were like cute little sisters to her. Sometimes, she could see Soojung in them.

 

She was sure she would miss them.

 

*********

 

“Alright. Up! Everybody. We’re here!” Hyoyeon announced with a clap.

 

Yul gently tapped her shoulder to wake Sooyeon up. It was five minutes to 7.

 

The girls immediately hopped out of the bus while the boys were busy carrying things.

 

They chose a place near the beach but far enough to avoid the water and settled.

 

Sooyoung, Hyoyeon and Yul started to set up the tents. One huge tent for the boys at the right most end and two tents for the girls. One in the middle and one at the left most.

 

Taeyeon, feeling left out, started taking out the stuffs and setting up them in any way he liked.

 

Soon, he was scolded by Yul for placing the food on the ground and earned a kick from Hyoyeon.

 

After setting up a tent for the girls, Yul called out Sooyeon.

 

“Try lying down. I’m not sure if it’s comfortable,” 

 

Jessica was reluctant since she had not made up her mind yet if she should stay away from Yul.

 

Thankfully, Taeyeon saved her.

 

“Oooh.. You two are sleeping in this tent tonight? Then put it a little far away. I can’t sleep when it’s noisy,” Taeyeon teased them with a loud voice.

 

Yul, being the shy one, blushed while Sooyeon stepped on Taeyeon. She felt close enough to him to do so.

 

Taeyeon was lucky that she was not wearing heels but sneakers this time. The sneakers that Yul gave to her.

 

“Come on, Sooyeon. Don’t bother with that dork. I have something to show you.”

 

Yul grabbed her hands and took her away, which surprised everyone.

 

“Wow, Yul,” Hyoyeon said in awe.

 

Sooyeon, too, was taken aback since Yul was usually very shy. She noticed him being a little more openly affectionate since a week ago.

 

Despite their friends’ shouts and laughs, they walked away, hand in hand.

 

*********

 

“It’s so beautiful..” Sooyeon was quite amazed by the view. 

 

What she saw was indeed admirable. The blue sea and the surroundings there were just a match made in heaven. They could even see various kinds of fish from where they were sitting.

 

“It’s even more beautiful in spring. With flowers and all.” Yul said with a smile.

 

“Ah.. Too bad it’s autumn now.” Sooyeon was truly upset.

 

“We can come next year,” Yul said and hugged his knees.

 

Sooyeon was startled by the word, "next year”. She felt sorry again.

 

Pretending she did not hear him, she casually climbed down the rock they were sitting and started collecting sea shells, soon joined by Yul.

 

Then, she felt something brush against her foot. She screamed and immediately hid behind Yul when she realized it’s a crab.

 

Yul laughed and knelt before her, motioning her to get on his back.

 

Sooyeon quickly climbed on Yul’s back and hugged him tightly.

 

Yul felt so warm and good as always. 

 

She just ignored her plan to stay away from Yul as much as possible and enjoyed her ride.

 

*********

 

Before the sun set, the group of friends played in the ocean.

 

Unlike that of their town, this ocean was a lot clearer and the beach had white sand, too. 

 

After they had played for a couple of hours, they made a campfire and gathered around.

 

Yul helped her dry her hair.

 

She felt uncomfortable and even more guilty.

 

With a heavy heart, Jessica could not even look into his eyes.

 

She avoided eye contact with Yul as much as possible and kept chatting with Tiffany beside her.

 

The night was long.

 

*********

 

The next day, they went back to the town. They wished they could stay longer but their work did not allow them to do so.

 

Jessica had now decided to spend the rest of her time here happily.

 

She thought a lot the night before. She was already thinking of leaving Yul so it would be so unfair for Yul to be given the cold shoulder.

 

Yul deserved to at least enjoy the last days with her.

 

 Only two days were left. 

 

Two days and she would be gone. Perhaps, for ever.

 

*********

 

They arrived at the town at night. 

 

Hyoyeon decided to have a sleepover at Sooyoung’s place.

 

Yul walked Sooyeon back to the inn.

 

Holding hands, they were mostly silent through the walk.

 

Sooyeon was the one who took Yul’s hand first but Yul never let it go as they walked. Not even when people passed by them.

 

Sooyeon smiled at his action. Her Yul was becoming more and more open and courageous now that they had been going out for almost a year.

 

She was not sure if she should be glad. It could be a sign of him being more in love with her.

 

Then, it also was a sign that Yul would be more in pain.

 

She would have enjoyed it if he was like this a month ago.

 

Now, it was a little too late.

 

*********

 

Sooyeon opened her eyes and looked at the clock.

 

It was ten minutes to nine.

 

Last night, she fell asleep quickly and soundly. Maybe because of the dinner that Yul made for her.

 

She changed her clothes and came down to her workplace.

 

Hyoyeon was mopping the floor. Just like the day she first met him.

 

Yul was busy in the kitchen as usual.

 

An hour later, it was break time and they all had lunch.

 

Yul had made her favorite meal again and she treasured eating it.

 

After lunch, Hyoyeon announced that all the staffs were dismissed as he had some business to do.

 

Sooyeon was delighted as she had something in mind.

 

“Yul, let’s go to the mountain!”

 

*********

 

As usual, Sooyeon rested her head on Yul’s back as she sat on the rear seat of the bicycle.

 

It felt a lot more comfortable with the cushion.

 

“Let’s take a picture,” Yul said, holding up his camera.

 

*********

 

They did not have much time to spend on the mountain this time.

 

Before they knew, the sun was already setting.

 

With a cup of coffee each, they enjoyed the view. 

 

Sooyeon still fascinated by the view no matter how many times she had seen it.

 

She was too busy admiring the setting sun that she did not notice Yul staring at her.

 

“I love you”

 

Not quite believing what she just heard, she turned to look at him.

 

Yul smiled sheepishly and scratched his forehead.

 

“I’m sorry. I should have told you earlier but I just could not bring myself to..”

 

Sooyeon leaned in and gave him a peck on the lips as she had the sudden urge to do so.

 

But soon became locked in a deep gentle kiss as Yul pulled her even closer.

 

*********

 

Sooyeon was sitting on a bench while Yul was standing near her as they watched the stars.

 

In fact, she did not want to leave the mountain and refused to take the last bus.

 

But Yul assumed that they should as it was dangerous and there were many mosquitoes on the mountain at night.

 

So instead, Sooyeon insisted that they watch the stars at the back of the inn.

 

It was her last day with Yul.

 

Tomorrow afternoon, she would be leaving the town which was why she wanted to spend the night with Yul.

 

Because it was the last night.

 

Yul did not agree with the idea at first. He said she should just rest in her room tonight as she was tired during the day and suggested to watch the stars on some other night.

 

What he did not know was there was no some other night.

 

Yul did not have a single clue that she was leaving. Sooyeon still had not told him. She did not have the heart to.

 

The twinkling stars were lovely. She wondered if she would see them this beautiful ever again.

 

The stars, the trees, the person beside her..everything in the front of her was divine.

 

It was a pity she had to leave them so soon.

 

Sooyeon suddenly got up and approached Yul.

 

She hugged him with all her strength, caring little about whether he would notice her strange action or not.

 

Thankfully, Yul did not seem to notice. Instead, he smiled and patted her back softly.

 

*********

 

The couple was lying on the grass, enjoying the stars in the night sky.

 

It appeared there were more stars since the night deepened.

 

Sooyeon rested her head on Yul’s arm as she savored the moment.

 

Yul looked at her due to her small movement and caressed her forehead. He knew she loved it.

 

“I love you” Yul said once again. He had been telling her the words several times already.

 

Sooyeon lifted her head to look at him.

 

“How many times are you planning to tell me that today?” Sooyeon with a grin.

 

“I’m just making up for the previous times I couldn’t tell you.” Yul replies with a smile.

 

“I love you, too,” Sooyeon whispered and rested her head on Yul’s chest.

 

Then, she felt something cold on her cheek.

 

It was the locket she gave him as a birthday present.

 

Yul had always been wearing it since the day.

 

*********

Flashback

 

"Happy birthday, Yul."

 

“Thank you.”

 

"Close your eyes. I'll give you my birthday present."

 

Yul did as he was said and received a light kiss from the girl.

 

"How can you fall for such an old trick?" she bumped her head with Yul's and giggled.

 

"Now for real. Close your eyes."

 

She put a metallic grey locket in his hand and sat face to face with Yul. She was enthusiastic.

 

"Open it!"

 

Yul opened the locket and saw a pink leaf.

 

"Wait. This is.."

 

"Yes! That leaf I got from you on the day we first met!"

 

"Oh.. Thank you." Yul was astonished.

 

"There's a picture, too."

 

There were two sides when the locket was opened. The left side contained the picture of the two smiling heartily with Sooyeon's head on Yul's shoulder and the right side Sooyeon smiling prettily alone. The background was the mountain for both pictures.

 

"When did you make all these?"

 

"I asked Yoongie for help of course."

 

"I don't even remember taking photos."

 

"You thought I was fooling around when I took it with my phone. But I took it for real. On our second date at the mountain, remember?" she had a victory smile.

 

Sooyeon was satisfied at the sight of Yul caressing the locket gently and affectionately.

 

"Get a chain and wear it." she ordered.

 

"Thank you. I'll take good care of it." Yul nodded with a smile. He was happy for the thoughtful gift.

 

End of flashback

 

*********

 

Sooyeon played with the locket for a while.

 

“Yul,”

 

She lifted her head again when she remembered that Yul once mentioned he was preparing to give her a special gift.

 

Sooyeon wanted to have that before she left.

 

But Yul was already sleeping soundly.

 

She stared at him for a while so that she would never forget.

 

Sooyeon smiled and gave Yul a peck on the forehead.

 

“Goodnight, Yul.”

 

*********